Order of the Ashen Veil

Anamnesis

These are beautiful. Do you mind sharing what materials you used for the bases? I'd like to try my hand at emulating it.

Won't be able to do so well on all the other stuff lol, but I think I might be able to nail that!

Sure, the temple is made with a greenstuffworld roller, ancestral cathedrale to be precise, the gravel/flock/stuff is a mix of dried soil, differents size of sand, and static grass and fine roots (you can find ready bag with a bit less stuff on serious scenics website), I finish by adding brown and green pigments, differents kinds of flock and tufts and flower from mininatur mostly 

Hope that help, I will do a full tutorial with pictures and everything on the blog when I can though

Inspirational work here. Your highlights on the blue cloth are fantastic, gives off a magical feel to the army.

Great choice on the name too

Thank you very much, very happy you like them :)

The colours are excellent, and the weathering really completes it - great work indeed your army is going to really pop on the table top! :biggrin.: I think the base is a very good addition too, could you provide some detail on how you did it please? I might like something similar for one of my basing schemes in the future :smile.:

The materials are on top of the post, for the colour, I airbrush the green part to not damage the roots and volumes in general, I basecoat black give it a light highlight of white, then spray dark forest green, then irati green and finish with autumn green.

The rocks and temples part are made with a sponge starting with gobi brown, then yellow oxide then birch and finish with nacar, without cleaning the sponge.

Seems like a lot but it is really quick to do !

Don't hesitate if you have more question or need precision 

Anamnesis

Yes, that's definitely a lot less than it seems :laugh.: Maybe a list of the various grass and plant bits you used so I can source something similar? :thumbsup:

A bit late but I've been really down with the sickness for the past week, here the link to my main source of tuft, plant and flowers !

https://www.mininatur.de/en/category-232/?view_mode=tiled&listing_sort=&listing_count=624

Excellent painting, the robes turned out phenomenal!

Thank you !

Between sneezing and sleeping, I painted the first squad a bit

3sP5beC.jpg

81WMMVt.jpg

here is what's coming :yes:

Anamnesis

Beautiful, again. I'm sure the army is going to be the bomb on the table top. I'm anxiously awaiting your first vehicle. Thanks for the inspiration. Glad you're feeling better but I think I may have gotten what you had. *sniff*

Thank you very much, I'm really excited to paint an exorcist, I'm still not better though which is becoming quite frustrating.

Man, with the first model it was apperent that the inside of the cloak was featuring just some rough highlighting (which looks great too), but with this one it looks like the inside of the cloak could be some kind of fancy velvet. I dig it. :wub:

Yeah, I worked a bit better with stippling this time, I'm happy you like it

I was only able to paint for something like 40min this week, but I tried some marble effect on the simulacrum I don't if it works really, let me know what you think !

0UpbW9g.jpg

Cheers,

Anamnesis

Good work!

I love the rough wood effect on the pole! And the armour is fantastic :smile.:

As for the marble, imo it works on the lower part (robe) of the figurine, but not so much on it's head and right arm. The hood especially looks a bit as if it was melting. I think this may be caused by the marble pattern following too much the shape of the hood.

Edited by Majkhel

I'd say the marble works. Looks great. :thumbsup:

Not sure if it's just the picture, however I noticed that your gold and your brown leather looks very same-ish. Maybe a darker brown for the leather would work better.

Thanks Panzer ! Yeah the picture is actually really bad.... it's not that similare irl 

Good work!

I love the rough wood effect on the pole! And the armour is fantastic :smile.:

As for the marble, imo it works on the lower part (robe) of the figurine, but not so much on it's head and right arm. The hood especially looks a bit as if it was melting. I think this may be caused by the marble pattern following too much the shape of the hood.

I see, I still need to think about it and see how to better correct it, thanks !

You cut the rock off? Confused me for a minute. I'm wanting to build 2 banner bearers out of the basic box and thought you had the fix. Anyhow, I love your colors as I stated and looking at the mold for the banner, it does look long or melted looking on the plastic. Hmm?

You cut the rock off? Confused me for a minute. I'm wanting to build 2 banner bearers out of the basic box and thought you had the fix. Anyhow, I love your colors as I stated and looking at the mold for the banner, it does look long or melted looking on the plastic. Hmm?

Oh yeah I did, I wasn't a big fan of this little thing.

Still haven't touched the statue but I worked everything around to see how it coming along, the picture is with a new phone so it also should be better....

JRphZCZ.jpg

I need to finish it this week for gw monthly competition :unsure.:

Anamnesis

It's a bit better but I still think the gold and leather look a bit too smiliar. :ermm:

Hmm, I don't really know what to do with it so far, I may go back to the copper later.

In the meantime, antibiotics are kicking in and I now can paint more or less, so I had some fun on the scriptures and a second take at my marble with his much more to my liking !

gfIbch4.jpg

Cheers

Anamnesis

Edit: I haven't realised, but this picture is massive, sorry for that

Edited by Anamnesis

The scripture is AWESOME! You can look at it as long as you want and still you'll find a nice detail to hang to. I also love how parts of it look as if they're washed away. 

While I liked the previous, lighter and less defined flow of the marble, this current incarnation is a definite improvement. Leaves no doubt to it being a stone and more clearly defined lines certainly suit your style. I also like the added blue/gray shade :)

I really like the greenish white. I would not have thought of making an off-white that colour but it makes the colour a lot more interesting than just using a load of neutral grey colours like I tend to do. As said by others the cloaks are amazing. I checked the Sororitas forum but chance but I might keep returning if this is the standard set here!

The scripture is AWESOME! You can look at it as long as you want and still you'll find a nice detail to hang to. I also love how parts of it look as if they're washed away. 

While I liked the previous, lighter and less defined flow of the marble, this current incarnation is a definite improvement. Leaves no doubt to it being a stone and more clearly defined lines certainly suit your style. I also like the added blue/gray shade :smile.:

Thank you, I was dreading this a bit but it went well and it was easier than I thought ! I went back with my highlight a bit to make it washed

Yeah it's more defined and much more to my liking, funny fact, it also easier than the first one strangely

I really like the greenish white. I would not have thought of making an off-white that colour but it makes the colour a lot more interesting than just using a load of neutral grey colours like I tend to do. As said by others the cloaks are amazing. I checked the Sororitas forum but chance but I might keep returning if this is the standard set here!

I was going for grey at first, but I looked a bit boring, the shade in the recess give it a bit more life and goes well with the green of the base :) 

Feel free to come back hehe :p 

Wow! Above and beyond! It's great to see someone still goes nuts on things. Fantastic. Now I'll have to up my game, a little, not much but a little.

Thanks mate, it's really easy to go nuts on those mini, so gorgeous and so many details ! 

This is great work- love the fade on the robes and the texture on the lining.

Perfect, great work!

Thanks guys !

I haven't had as much time as I'd liked but I try to do a different skin tone on this head. those faces are really small, doing the eyes is killing me

91Utzct.jpg

Cheers,

Anamnesis

She looks lovely!

Your faces are always amazing and I admit I've been waiting to see yours take on the Sisters' heads. 

:thumbsup: 

Thanks Majkhel!

Here a new since you like them :p

KheO1kE.jpg

My first (min) squad is almost complete :) 

Cheers !

Anamnesis

And here I am struggling to put just a simple layer of paint onto a Space Marine's lenses without touching the surroundings. :biggrin.:

Oh I do touch the surrounding, I just clean it up after :teehee:

You're a skilled painter. The heads are so detailed.

Thank you very mcuh Bjorn !

So the simulacrum is complete, I was planning to finish the whole squad but I had to finish this one for gw monthly competition

kusUSw7.jpg

oFsggfY.jpg

FPpMI1o.jpg

I did enjoy it way too much :yes:

Anamnesis