Ritual of the Damned, game experience what's working/not

SnakeChisler

If you put CMLs on the backs of two THSS Termies and give the sergeant THSS, you don't lose much firepower and can use Fortress of Shields. Been toying with the idea of building a list around such a 10-man squad.

That squad would be over 60 points more expensive then a 10 man cataphractii unit(and 100 points more then my current setup), and each shield + cyclone lost is 73 points. I wouldn't put the cyclones on ss models.

Other thing is that missiles want to stay in Dev doctrine whereas my list thrives on the tactical doctrine.

Last week I tested the following:

Sammael in his speeder
Int chaplain with power fist and jumppack

2*5 scouts with snipers
5 infiltrators

4 typhoon speeders
Dark shroud

2*3 eliminators

2 impulsor with shield dome

Spearhead

2 talon Masters
2 whirlwinds with vengeance
1 whirlwind with castellan

Warlord was a talon master with impeccable mobility

Chaplain had watched trait, +3" aura relic and litany of 5++ FNP for mortal wounds.This due to the fact that I was playing a grey knight deepstrike list with 30 strikes and 20 palladins.

I will not bore you with the game  play, but some this I took from this game.

1. Infiltrators are golden. Having the ability to push your opponent back, combined with the impulsor -2" charge range is golden.

2. Impulsors are great for keeping your character speeders save.

3. Watched warlord trait is golden and can potentially win you the ga,e when used right.

4. Typhoon speeders with all the correct buffs and the strat for 4++ greatly improve their ability.

I will be testing the list tonight against assault centurions raven guard.

Sammael in his speeder

2*5 scouts with snipers

5 infiltrators

4 typhoon speeders

Dark shroud

2*3 eliminators

Spearhead

2 talon Masters

Chaplain had watched trait, +3" aura relic and litany of 5++ FNP for mortal wounds.This due to the fact that I was playing a grey knight deepstrike list with 30 strikes and 20 palladins.

1. Infiltrators are golden. Having the ability to push your opponent back, combined with the impulsor -2" charge range is golden.

3. Watched warlord trait is golden and can potentially win you the ga,e when used right.

4. Typhoon speeders with all the correct buffs and the strat for 4++ greatly improve their ability.

Can you elaborate on your use of the Watched warlord trait?

Don't know if anyone saw this at the weekend but a 6 flyer list won a gt the games where streamed on theprimaryobjective channel

The list was 3 dark talons 3 nephilims 2 warsuits dark shroud 3 units of eliminators Sammie and a talonmaster

That sounds like such a fun list to play.  Maybe not so much fun to play against.  Thanks for the heads up, looking forward to watching the video.

Don't know if anyone saw this at the weekend but a 6 flyer list won a gt the games where streamed on theprimaryobjective channel

The list was 3 dark talons 3 nephilims 2 warsuits dark shroud 3 units of eliminators Sammie and a talonmaster

That sounds like such a fun list to play.  Maybe not so much fun to play against.  Thanks for the heads up, looking forward to watching the video.

Yeah I can see it not being fun to play against too but it's a tournament the games that it was on the stream are 3 5 6

Sammael in his speeder

2*5 scouts with snipers

5 infiltrators

4 typhoon speeders

Dark shroud

2*3 eliminators

Spearhead

2 talon Masters

Can you elaborate on your use of the Watched warlord trait?

I used it to block his astral aim power in the second turn so he couldn't kill the infiltrators that where hiding in a ruin in the centre, thus creating a huge bubble where he was unable to deepstrike. Original plan was to stop him from using gate of infinty to drop a palladin unit in my face.

The impulsors are kinda like huge shield drones. They also allow my eliminators and infiltrators to get into better positions due to the fact that you can disembark after moving.

Last night I played against a raven guard list with deepstriking assault centurions. I lost due to failing to close a gap in my backline, but I think there is potential in this list.

This sounds like Lawrence from Tabletop Tactics list. I think I'm going to face a toned down 1500pt version very soon.

Another game last night, during which I gained much love for the Talonmaster with Corvus Oculus. It's not so much the extra range that I love, but the +1 to the hit roll. Send him to an objective, and just have him camp, and all of a sudden you're hitting on 2+, re-rolling your 1's, and then re-rolling wound rolls of 1 too. He just minced enemy infantry and did a great job of objective denial.

The Sammael/Talonmaster combo with Impeccable Mobility Warlord trait is also brutal. Sammael always hitting on 2+ and Talonmaster on 3+ with full re-rolls just make them so much more efficient. Have them support some Landspeeders or some flyers, and they're a great force multiplier.

Regarding flyers, I took two Nephilims with me last night. Was going against Steel Legion, so wanted a lot of anti-armour so took the twin lascannon option.I'd say on average they each took 5-6 wounds off a T8 armour each turn, and nothing was out of reach - ideal for going against the Basilisks sat in the far corner of the table. For 147 points each, I'd say they definitely pulled their weight. Statistically, both the Dark Talon and a Predator with Autocannon/Lascannon will cause more wounds, and there are some interesting trade-offs here:

• Predator is limited in positioning and line of sight, but is more able to take advantage of Grim Resolve and nearby Lt. 28 points more expensive.
  • Dark Talon is limited in range, as you need to get within 15" for full firepower effectiveness. However, you do have the ability to hover, which makes manoeuvring and positioning a bit easier. 53 points more expensive.

Finally, I've been trying out a 10-man squad of Stalker Bolt Rifle Intercessors...and they're not working too well for me. I find it difficult to position them to get line of sight, and inevitably terrain limits my ability to take advantage of that 42" range.

It's been interesting watching those tournament matches with this list.

However there was one issue I noticed about his Darkshroud.  During the Tau game he advanced with the Darkshroud and moved 22 inches.  And then in the set up for the final round vs Raven Guard he told his opponent that the Darkshroud has a movement of 16 inches.

My codex says 12 inches for the Darkshroud's movement.  Do I have a misprint, or did I miss a FAQ change to the unit?

Honestly the 12 inch move for both the Darkshroud and Vengeance are the main issue I have with those speeders.  Because they don't keep up with the rest of the list without having to advance, and therefore burn through CP if I want them to still be able to shoot.  But if they were changed to 16 inch moves similar to the other speeders I might reconsider them.

It's been interesting watching those tournament matches with this list.

However there was one issue I noticed about his Darkshroud.  During the Tau game he advanced with the Darkshroud and moved 22 inches.  And then in the set up for the final round vs Raven Guard he told his opponent that the Darkshroud has a movement of 16 inches.

My codex says 12 inches for the Darkshroud's movement.  Do I have a misprint, or did I miss a FAQ change to the unit?

Honestly the 12 inch move for both the Darkshroud and Vengeance are the main issue I have with those speeders.  Because they don't keep up with the rest of the list without having to advance, and therefore burn through CP if I want them to still be able to shoot.  But if they were changed to 16 inch moves similar to the other speeders I might reconsider them.

Definately 12"

The gun on the DS is totally there for show. Advancing it is a must for the 4++

Had a game last night, which reinvigorated my love for the Darkshroud, despite its failings in a meta full of +1s to hit and full rerrolls.

It was 1000 point match against the Imperial Knights of my most competitive friend in my local gaming group (same player who has been winning all tournaments here lately, and the one who won with an Emperor's Children list, which I mentioned here a few posts back, even crushing a Sammael+Talonmaster+Speeders list which came in second place).

I was playing:

Hidden Content
Master in jump pack with a master crafted thunder hammer and fury of the lion

lieutenant in jump pack with a power sword

15 tacticals, plasma gun and combi plasma on each squad

9 devastators with 3 missiles and a heavy bolter

5 bikes with three meltas, attack bike with melta, dark shroud

He was playing:

Hidden Content
Knight Preceptor

2 Armigers

2 Warglaives

Not only did the fight end with a 15-11 victory for my successors, the darkshroud was the absolute MVP (after my opponent's dice, which kinda worked in my favour a lot, to be honest). It got targetted first turn before I could do anything, and reacting with a 4++ made it surive a whole round of shooting with a mere 3 wounds. It kept my devastators intact all game, which were the guys that won me the fight on turn 5 by spreading over a much needed objective while putting the hurt on the remaining knights thath lingered by that point. It moved across the board in a flash to give me line breaker and a final objecive on turn 5, which in turn gave me supremacy. And, it acted as a real damage sponge, which left my unasuming tacticals alive just long enough to score for me the difference in points I needed to win.

I gotta say, I did NOT expect the shroud to survive that much against the knights. Being able to jink as a reaction is pure gold.

Darkshroud and Vengeance moves 12". It's a shame that he misplays them, but we all make mistakes/misremember things.

While it did mean his board positioning was off, the only range that it would have effected was his Dark Talon's rapid fire range.  I don't think he was intentionally cheating, I think it was just he was playing off of memory instead of having his books or an excel sheet with his rules and stats.  And like you said we all make mistakes.

I still think it is a question of do I want to buy 3 more flyers (I have all of the rest of that list) or do I want to have friends.

Darkshroud and Vengeance moves 12". It's a shame that he misplays them, but we all make mistakes/misremember things.

While it did mean his board positioning was off, the only range that it would have effected was his Dark Talon's rapid fire range.  I don't think he was intentionally cheating, I think it was just he was playing off of memory instead of having his books or an excel sheet with his rules and stats.  And like you said we all make mistakes.

I still think it is a question of do I want to buy 3 more flyers (I have all of the rest of that list) or do I want to have friends.

You can always get new friends.

It's a good list for sure but I don't know how well it would do outside of the itc meta I only play chapter approved mission

On a side note played my first game with the new rules last night wow we are so much better a max unit of typhoon speeder backed up with a talonmaster and Sammie is a thing of beauty fragile but deadly as hell

It's a good list for sure but I don't know how well it would do outside of the itc meta I only play chapter approved mission

On a side note played my first game with the new rules last night wow we are so much better a max unit of typhoon speeder backed up with a talonmaster and Sammie is a thing of beauty fragile but deadly as hell

Your right about it not doing well outside of ITC Meta.  Mostly because only in ITC are players willing to accept playing on a board with that little terrain.

When I started in 40k the rule was you wanted 25% of the board covered in terrain.  The table in most of those videos appeared to have about 5% of the board covered in terrain.  Nothing gives cover, hardly anything blocks LOS, and unobstructed fire lanes from board edge to board edge.  The most cover / LOS blocking terrain that you can expect is if each player takes up a position in a center of the board building.  But then that cover / LOS Blocking is only from the perspective of the other building, all other approaches to the center of board you are screwed.

Yesterday we had 6 players at my club, 2vs2 and 1vs1. I decided to play solo because the 2vs2 take forever to play and i also lose each time when playing it...

So i was against the Orks of a very skilled tournament player. We're both playing full infantry so he got ~100 models and i had ~30 models on the table.

Scenario was the Relic so between my disavantage in skill, models and his ability to Da Jump the game seemed to be an auto lose...

My list was the good old Azrael/Lieutenant Castle with 5 squads of Tactical/Devastator, Termis + Ancient and a squad of Aggressors.

In the end the game was finished Turn 6 with 3 models left on the table : his Shaman with the Relic, his Shokk Gun and one Devastator :sweat:

MVP were Azrael for his bubble and especially the Aggressors who popped a Auspex Scan when he used Da Jump T1 = 20 Orks dead.

The reason of the defeat was his characters, they turned the game upside down in the same way as last week against Deathwatch... i need something to beat them dead...

The mistake of the day was me forgetting to put the FnP relic on the Ancient but otherwise i played well i think ?

So after many years of hiatus and playing as giant robots, I've returned to my first love, Dark Angel's.

Going something completely different to the 5 model knight army I've been playing and looking at the following.

Sammael in Sableclaw

Talonmaster

2x Rapier Quad Launchers

3x Castellan Whirlwinds

Chaplain with Jump pack and power fist, Fury of The Lion, Mantra of Strength, Master Crafted Weapon

3x Flamer Invictors

Relic Deredeo with Pavaise and Plasma Cannonade

Eliminator squad

3x Nephilum Jetfighters

Most of my gaming is in Warhammer World so limited on the LoS blockers overall, but theres a wall of ignore LoS shooting for those pesky drones.

Edited by hermanista