Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ITC 2k, help me finish the list

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

The Unseen

The Unseen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,522 posts
  • Faction: Charnel Guard
So, as the title says, got an ITC tournament happening in Nashville soon that I might make the 2 hour drive for, as I've been starved for a competitive game vs someone new for awhile.

The list is *almost* complete, but have about 100 pts of wiggle left and not sure what to spend it on, and would love some critique overall.

Ideas I've had is a jump Sanguinary Priest, 3 boltstorm aggressors, or just another scout squad and some scattered upgrades.

Spoiler

Basic principle is simple, list tries to leverage what I think are the strongest things BA can do, namely intercessor core supported by the SoS to give you some guys who can take the midfield and weather some serious shooting while being bully melee units, especially if they live till turn 3, a DC unit with handflamers starting the game off forlorning up the table, turning a screen to ash and then punking something important while tagging as much as possible with consolidations, supported by scouts deployed danger close, and a Sanguinary Guard bomb for a knockout punch, and of course some heroes like a smash captain and nu_Mephiston.

Some of its advantages are, everything is very easy to hide behind ruins, as it's all very low to the ground, which can matter a huge deal if your stuck going second.

My enemies anti-tank weapons won't have many good options, especially turn 1, as they can all hang back out of LoS and then move up and get shots, or don't require LoS at all in the case of the Quad Mortars.
Watching people fire lascannons into intercessors in cover with a 5+++ is amusing most of the time.

Hector Rex is a psychic beast, with GK/Tsons both getting their book so recently, I have a feeling lots of people are going to be packing psychic heat, and this list can bring 6 denies, and Rex himself can cause 2d3 mortal wounds, deny overwatch on a target, AND score you a CP, assuming you've made the necessary sacrifices to RNJesus, the Imperial Saint of luck.

It packs plenty of screen removal with the scouts and mortars, has enough anti tank between character melee and hidden inferno pistols I'm not super concerned, and I have 0% chance to kill myself with an overcharged plasmagun.

Thoughts and/or ideas on the last 100 pts?

Edited by The Unseen, 04 February 2020 - 03:23 AM.

"For the Emperor and Sanguinius! Death! DEATH!"

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,317 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Good overall. 

My gut says beef up squads with extra bodies, adding to the SG or Intercessors especially, or the DC. Do you plan on making any of the Intercessors Vets? If so pay for a TH and some more bodies. Could also put storm bolters on the Scout Bike Sgts for some easy cheap enhanced Dakka. Maybe drop an attack bike so afford a second SG or DC bomb so you can go 2x6 or such to give you some more literal punch. Some combination of that. I just can’t help but feel that a good opponent will slice out the DC and SG from under you unless you bring more or beef them up. 

What’s your plan for Astorath?

In terms of HQ’s I would skip a Sang Priest and go second Smash Capt or maybe a blender Capt (dual LC’s ) for chopping up screens as well. Especially in cutthroat ITC environments I feel BA’s best defense is to go all in on offense and gut the enemy as quickly as possible. 

I have to say I am impressed: any time a person can pull off a competitive Brigade and have points to spare gets my attention. 

Edited by Indefragable, 04 February 2020 - 05:21 AM.

• The Unseen likes this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

The Unseen

The Unseen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,522 posts
Probably no vet intercessors, so I keep them cheap with just the power swords and hunt infantry or stuff with <10 wounds, partly for points and partly because that's how I built and painted them, before Thammers were a choice.

I don't really want to put more than 5 in an intercessors unit, because then they become valid *Marked for Death* targets and its then an easily maxed secondary.

I have done the storm bolters on the scout bike sarges before and it is efficient, but your going from 3 bolters (bike has 2 and sarge can have a free bolter) to 4, so it isn't a huge deal I find, but well worth it if you have a few pts left.
The unit puts out an ungodly amount of str4 shots at 12", but I find the power swords there to be great for picking off wounded leftovers.

The DC will hopefully either get to charge if I go first, or move up and hide in the midfield out of LoS, and the SG will be using descent of Angels, to avoid getting focussed down. I don't care as much for running 2x6 SG, mostly because only one can get a reliable charge turn 2, and I won't have cp for descent turn 3.
But extra bodies doesnt sound like a bad choice for the SG, and maybe 1 or 2 more chainsword guys for DC for overwatch if nothing else.

Just realized Astorath has the wrong litany, that's from an earlier version where I had a unit of 3 land speeders with typhoons for him to buff with catechism of fire.
My usual plan with him is to stick around the intercessors, the SG have built in rerolls and the DC are a fire and forget missile that sometimes gets the smash captain rerolls if he also has something to kill.

With Mantra of Strength up Astorath hits Str7, so he's a hell of a character killer or even tanks. But if he sticks with the intercessors turn 2 or 3 he pops mass of doom and reroll hits, and suddenly those intercessor squads turn into blenders.
Funnily enough last game I used him I had a priest there too, so he hit Str8 and did half of a knights wounds in 1 go.
That was fun to see.

The key for the brigade is the attack bikes and quad mortars.
They contribute a surprising amount by tagging stuff in melee or running around holding objectives, and they're so damn cheap, which lets you stock up on other stuff.

Edited by The Unseen, 04 February 2020 - 05:55 AM.

Neuralshock

Neuralshock

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 294 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, Blood Angels

Take that crazy loon Lemartes, with mantra of strength he'll have 9 base attacks swinging at str7 -3 d3+1 damage on t3.

The Unseen

The Unseen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,522 posts
So, going to a tournament in Nashville TN this Saturday, and this is the version I ended up settling with.

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [121 PL, -3CP, 1,900pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**CHAPTER**: Blood Angels

Armoury of Baal [-1CP]: 1 Additional Relic

+ HQ +

Astorath [6 PL, 105pts]: 4. Mantra of Strength, 6. Canticle of Hate, Invocation of Destruction, Litanies of Hate

Captain [6 PL, -2CP, 143pts]: 5. Gift of Foresight, Death Visions of Sanguinius, Hero of The Chapter, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer

Chief Librarian Mephiston (Primaris) [8 PL, 145pts]: 1. Quickening, 2. Unleash Rage, 3. Shield of Sanguinius, 6. Wings of Sanguinus

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Auto bolt rifle, Auxiliary grenade launcher, 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power fist

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 100pts]: Auto bolt rifle, Auxiliary grenade launcher, 4x Intercessor

Scout Squad [4 PL, 61pts]
. Scout: Combat knife
. Scout Sergeant: Power sword, Storm bolter

+ Elites +

Death Company [18 PL, 179pts]: Jump Pack
. Death Company Marine: Hand flamer, Power fist
. Death Company Marine: Chainsword, Hand flamer

Sanguinary Ancient [6 PL, 75pts]: 3. Soulwarden, Death mask, Inferno pistol, Power fist, Standard of Sacrifice, Warlord

Sanguinary Guard [20 PL, 232pts]
. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Power fist

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad [3 PL, 49pts]
. Attack Bike: Multi-melta, Twin boltgun

Attack Bike Squad [3 PL, 49pts]
. Attack Bike: Multi-melta, Twin boltgun

Scout Bike Squad [8 PL, 124pts]
. Scout Biker: Twin boltgun
. Scout Biker Sergeant: Power fist, Twin boltgun

+ Heavy Support +

Rapier Carrier [4 PL, 85pts]: 2x Space Marine Gunner
. Rapier Carrier: Quad launcher

++ Reinforcements (Imperium - Inquisition) [6 PL, -1CP, 100pts] ++

+ HQ +

Inquisitor-Lord Hector Rex [6 PL, -1CP, 100pts]: 1) Terrify, 4) Mental Interrogation, 6) Castigation, Malleus - Psychic Mastery, Stratagem: Inquisitorial Mandate

++ Total: [127 PL, -4CP, 2,000pts] ++

I'll post the results that night or sunday

The Unseen

The Unseen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,522 posts

Well, went 3-0 at the tourney, but because my games usually went to time, I didn't score a whole lot of primary points, so I came in 4th behind the 3 other people that also went 3-0 but where playing respectively, Iron Hands 1st, (big shocker there), chaos knight soup 2nd, and Tsons chaos soup 3rd.

Shout out to the Game Cave for hosting and the guys running it for putting together a fun event though, every table was pretty decent terrain wise, and was all painted and themed. Ork table, necron table, destroyed imperial city, tyranid table, etc. Was really nice to see and play on, especially compared to bland identical boards with big L-blocks for center pieces.

My list did really well obviously, but its just so hard to get a full game in when you have combat going from 1st turn onward. Rounds were 2.5 hours strict, and that included set-up time, so it was tight finishing turn 3 in a lot of cases. Didn't help that my first game was against Orks, and my third vs a Tsons list with a billion psychic powers with a tired opponent. None of them were slow playing, but there was just a lot going on all the time.

But Hector Rex came in clutch in the 2nd and 3rd round vs Harlequins and then especially vs the Tsons, 4 denies is hilarious. His own psychic powers were a bit meh thanks to poor rolls and lack of good targets, but the denies kept so much of my army alive vs smite spam it wasn't funny, especially since mephiston had a tendency to either go after the enemy warlord or get targeted by my opponent early and died.

Despite the fact that there were like 5 of them, I never got matched up against any knight lists, which was a little saddening, as I feel I would've had a good matchup vs them with all the hidden fists, sanguinary guard, and captain/mephiston each capable of taking a knight out, and would've gotten some more turns in to score primary points.

The scouts put in work, usually made 1 of them an engineers squad, but when I had a board that they couldn't get into cover and the objective at the same time, I switched it to Behind Enemy Lines. They basically won me the 2nd round by themselves, as the bonus point was hold the 2 objectives not in our deployment zones, so they started the game there and then I kept my opponent boxed in inside his deployment zone and they racked up bonus points the whole game.

DC with hand flamers are disgusting, against orks they toasted a tractor cannon with their flamers, then killed an ork buggy and a 2nd cannon in melee, then fought again and finished off a 2nd buggy and killed his 2 weirdboys cowering in the back.

Against Tsons, they killed a heldrake by heroically intervening with the new strat, then bounced forward and killed a greater chaos spawn and then gave ahriman the power fist greeting he deserved.

Power Fists on intercessor sergeants is now something I will recommend to anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users