Alternatives to stock Commander Farsight model?

BolterZorro

Speaking about crisis...I'd like to avoid the GW resin commander farsight. Is it possible to build from the crisis kit a commander farsight? What do I need to make it look lie one?

What are the visual distinctive things of the commander farsight?

Well if you want to make it look exactly like Farsight then you don't really have another option. The head, the torso, the sword and I think the Jetpacks too all are unique to his model. You could make a very close copy of it with a regular Commander box if you can get a sword from some Eldar or Necron kit though.

Speaking about crisis...I'd like to avoid the GW resin commander farsight. Is it possible to build from the crisis kit a commander farsight? What do I need to make it look lie one?

Well if you want to make it look exactly like Farsight then you don't really have another option. The head, the torso, the sword and I think the Jetpacks too all are unique to his model. You could make a very close copy of it with a regular Commander box if you can get a sword from some Eldar or Necron kit though.

I have also a commander box and some eldar knights parts (swords). So, with that, in tourney, do I need more distinctive bits?

I have also a commander box and some eldar knights parts (swords). So, with that, in tourney, do I need more distinctive bits?

Nah I don't think anybody would really care. There's really only one T'au Commander with an actual sword. Especially with a shield and a plasma rifle and grey Sept markings. ;) 

If true then only because it's an old model from back when the actual Commander model didn't yet exist. I'd bet everything I have that if Farsight would get a new model it would be the size of the Commander.

I've read that the GW resin kit is the size of the crisis kit. So, the commander kit would be too big (for a conversion and for LOS/hide him in decor).

The resin Farsight is quite a dainty little kit - very much the size of a Crisis suit if in some ways slightly less chunky looking. Get a good dynamic pose and a sword/shield and i think you would be good with a Crisis suit.

Mostly you would be modelling for disadvantage by using a Commander kit so I doubt if anyone would complain. 

I've read that the GW resin kit is the size of the crisis kit. So, the commander kit would be too big (for a conversion and for LOS/hide him in decor).

No one ever minds changing old, tiny models to modern size. People only really object to using conversions if done for advantage (such as adding too big base or hiding it in spaces where official one would never fit), updating the look is none of these. And really, when Farsight gets new model, it 100% won't be old, small size, I'd even bet on being bigger than current commanders...

If you have a commander kit you can convert it with parts from Red Dog Minis.

gallery_95907_16131_21032.jpg

NICE !!

But would someone get all OTT at a tourney because it's not GW parts?... :huh.:

Mithril

Depends on how strict the TO is, but the chance is there.

I wouldn't play at a event that had that strict of a TO. Also make sure to point out other armies that have conversions before leaving.

Honestly since the main body is a GW model, in fact most of the model is the commander model there shouldn't be an issue. Who's to say you didn't just make the parts yourself via plasta-card. They going to break your model to check what's under the paint?

If you have a commander kit you can convert it with parts from Red Dog Minis.

gallery_95907_16131_21032.jpg

NICE !!

But would someone get all OTT at a tourney because it's not GW parts?... :huh.:

Mithril

Depends on how strict the TO is, but the chance is there.

I wouldn't play at a event that had that strict of a TO. Also make sure to point out other armies that have conversions before leaving.

Honestly since the main body is a GW model, in fact most of the model is the commander model there shouldn't be an issue. Who's to say you didn't just make the parts yourself via plasta-card. They going to break your model to check what's under the paint?

They don't have to prove anything. If they think you used 3rd party stuff and say that's not okay then you either follow their judgement or don't get to play. If you have enough tournaments near your place to be this picky then great for you, but many don't have that kind of novelty.

Same goes for sub-faction specific colour schemes, counts-as, conversions and so on.

They don't have to prove anything. If they think you used 3rd party stuff and say that's not okay then you either follow their judgement or don't get to play. If you have enough tournaments near your place to be this picky then great for you, but many don't have that kind of novelty.

Same goes for sub-faction specific colour schemes, counts-as, conversions and so on.

I'd just be weary of a TO that does that, cause that is one step away from ejecting a person just for the lolz. Pretty much means they can deny a player even if they have a 100% GW model army.

Edited by Focslain

Nah, it's actually pretty normal for GW tournaments and playing in GW stores.

Well your definition of normal GW and mine are way different than.

@Mithril - If you want to hedge your bets, that custom farsight can be made with a bit of greenstuff, a wraithlord sword and a riptide shield. The wings on the engine are either plastic card or use the extra wings in the commander and current battlesuit kits.

Course if your local group is so strict not to allow the modification in the first place your frakked either way.

Edited by Focslain