What flavour of Wolf Lord?

Karhedron

I am currently pondering different options for a new Wolf on foot. I have a Smash Lord with TH/SS and Jump Pack but I want something a bit cheaper for a buff Lord.

I want to have a power fist or similar as our Chapter trait makes it pretty good and a steal for 9 points. Now I could go Firstborn, Primaris or Gravis. Primaris is pretty tempting as 4 points for +1W and +1A is a bargain. I can build one with Power Fist and plasma pistol to mimic the loadout for the Birthday special Captain for 92 points which looks pretty good.

Alternatively I can go Gravis for an extra 20 points. 20 points for an extra +1W and +1T is not such a steal as the jump from Firstborn to Primaris. Also the T5 (whilst useful) doesn't seem quite so important on someone who is intended primarily as a buff character.

Thoughts comments and suggestions on the different options are welcome.

I've got both a Gravis Armoured Lord (my profile picture) and a converted Power Fist/Plasma Pistol Lord (using the Burning of Prospero character).

The issue I've run into with the Gravis Lord is that a 5" movement can be a bit of an issue and he can't use a transport aside from a Repulsor. The plus side is that T5, 7 wounds and a 4++ makes him very hard to stop and his Power Fist will make a mess of anything that gets in the way. A standard Lord with a Power Fist is probably better from that perspective, plus in PA I'd hope we'd get an expanded weapons loadout similar to the DA Master from Ritual of the Damned.

What are you buffing ideally? I kept my ranged element buffers relatively cheap. I had used to kit them as a deterrent but most people won’t be had by the 6” intervene or it doesn’t matter anyways so now I keep them cheap.

If it’s moving with a group then that a different story though.

Most likely my Hellblasters but I plan to reinforce my infantry with some autobolter Intercessors. Mid-field fire-support squads mainly. Whilst I don't plan to use him as a primary beatstick, there is every chance he will see combat at some point, hence my preference for a power fist.

Terminator lords (of all varieties) can take some varied shooty load-outs. Even with just a storm bolter and, bolter drill, still pump out 4 shots on the move. Plus it allows a wide variety of ccw. or for just 86 points, the primaris lord with a master-crafted auto-bolt rifle and power sword. Both would do a great job bolstering the mid field

For that i suppose it would serve to have a nice one two punch of the Primaris BL with the axe/carbine and the WL with the plasma/fist. Low cost and buffs for days, plus it's enough meat and attacks to dissuade people from jumping them. 

It would also be a pretty decent chunk if paired with the blasters to peel some of the opponents force. They're not leaving something alive thats that reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the consensus. PF/PP is the way to go. I have picked up the birthday special captain and started wolfing him up a bit.

med_gallery_82363_15236_417817.jpg

Not sure whether to replace the shoulder pads with Wolf ones or not. The left pad has the small shield attached and the right one is not the regular fitting. Perhaps he is wolfy enough.

I doubt we will get specifically Quake Bolts as its Special Issue Wargear for BA. We probably will get some "Bolt" special issue wargear. But it's going to be frost bolts and they're probably going to be dumb.

Phobos captain with Helm of Durfast makes some sense. Removing the benefit of cover to a character while in tactical doctrine could be pretty good! -3 AP no cover is nothing to look down on! It doesn't beat out Wulfen Stone or Armor of Russ unless you're pure shooty wolves.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Stuff, the Base made me Crack up. Is the whole Army on Retro Bases?

It would be retro but the army still contains models that I built and painted in the 90s. :biggrin.:

The new guys are just painted to match.

I might consider a Phobos captain if we get Quake bolts in PA6.

I dream of korvidae bolts and tools for wolf lord Erik morkai and his terror scouts

Brother, don't give me hope......