How much CP do we need?

Plague _Lord

Like above I'm wondering if we need as many cp as other armies. I tend to run just the battalion and I rarely run out of cp too early. I find that I mainly use them on veterans and move and shoot without penalties on my pbc.

How many cp do you feel is optimal for us?

I think that depends on what you plan to use. If you only need Veterans and Move/Shoot, yes 8-10 CP will be enough. But what about Cloud of Flies? Putrid Detonation? Blight Bombardement? The Dead Walk again? These are good stratagems if you include the units that use them. But I normally use the 8-10 CP as well. We cant upgrade units before battle, our relics are questionable at best.

I always use a single Battalion and I don't think I've run out of CP before, although Tallyman is an auto include in my lists because I always have melee elements. He does tend to get me at least 1 point back a game

If his ability worked on any strat and not just death guard ones then I would consider taking him. Also, not giving him a melee weapon but giving him a melee aura seems like a slap in the face from GW haha.

I run two Battalions.

I typically have enough to float my every-turn use of cloud of flies, pbc move penalty ignore, dead walk again. (VotLW pretty often too) 

Allows for extra room to use on gundam-winging a rhino in the enemy's face, grenade spam strat, resurrecting a blightlord or deathshroud, etc... where applicable.

Usually by turn 4-ish, the game is "developed" enough that I'm comfortable dumping a character into a chunk of the enemy army to use the 3CP nurgle nuke for funsies.

I would say, for most, the 8-9 range should be just fine.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Honestly. I don’t even run a battalion a lot of the time. If I’m taking 3 PBCs and 3 FW Dreads then I can get by on 4-5CPs, used mostly for key re-rolls. However I do sometimes bring a battalion of Nurgle Daemons And if I’ve got Blightlords or something like that then Vets & Cloud get used more often than not.

DG stratagems are seriously underwhelming so hopefully PA will sort that out.

Honestly. I don’t even run a battalion a lot of the time. If I’m taking 3 PBCs and 3 FW Dreads then I can get by on 4-5CPs, used mostly for key re-rolls. However I do sometimes bring a battalion of Nurgle Daemons And if I’ve got Blightlords or something like that then Vets & Cloud get used more often than not.

DG stratagems are seriously underwhelming so hopefully PA will sort that out.

Amen, mate.

I was just telling folks yesterday how the thing I'm most excited for is for some good strats, more than the 5ish, decent ones now.  Oh, and some of the less-loved characters to get some love.  Like Dr. Gross, the bell caddy, etc...

I always use a single Battalion and I don't think I've run out of CP before, although Tallyman is an auto include in my lists because I always have melee elements. He does tend to get me at least 1 point back a game

If his ability worked on any strat and not just death guard ones then I would consider taking him. Also, not giving him a melee weapon but giving him a melee aura seems like a slap in the face from GW haha.

Death Guard characters in general have the most random wargear allocations. I think they made them with the intention of showing off how wargear worked in 8th Edition.

I’m glad you all informed me of the “death guard” only strats. So cloud of flies..... and that’s about it for me. I guess making sure my blight haulers explode is pretty funny.

The self-destruct gundam wing strat is always a fun "middle finger" basically.

I tend to always have two rhinos carting around two squads of 7 pm's with a character or two in tow.

Disembark, then use the rhinos as suicide bombs on turn two usually. always good fun.

Regarding the Tallyman, I'll be shocked if PA doesn't turn him into a Priest like the dark apostle and chaplain archetypes (since he provides essentially the same buff they did before the rework).

Here's hoping he gets a "tally" that helps at range so we don't have to keep throwing him into melee empty-handed. I think something to ignore ap-1 is a likely given that it seems to be the new ability that GW is sprinkling into factions (IF and IW have a warlord trait to ignore it in cover, and we all know the new Valorus Heart sisters).

Regarding the Tallyman, I'll be shocked if PA doesn't turn him into a Priest like the dark apostle and chaplain archetypes (since he provides essentially the same buff they did before the rework).

Here's hoping he gets a "tally" that helps at range so we don't have to keep throwing him into melee empty-handed. I think something to ignore ap-1 is a likely given that it seems to be the new ability that GW is sprinkling into factions (IF and IW have a warlord trait to ignore it in cover, and we all know the new Valorus Heart sisters).

I mean, they've made sillier choices before!  I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't.

Another man to throw his hat in the ring, is the lord of Contagion.  His abilities/effectiveness need revamps. Given the fast-pace of even non-tournament games in 8th, the slow-lad and his ability going off AT THE START OF HIS CONTROLLER'S TURN is just so bad. Every time I've ever brought him, and TRIED to get him to "do his thang" he has failed.

Alot of the DG characters kind of suck for their points, the Lord of Contagion being one of the worst units I've ever seen. His aura is terrible, no reroll ones, no ranged at all and has cata armor that slows him down but all lords get 4++ anyways so it's a hinderance. PA won't fix them most likely. The next codex might. I'd love to be wrong though, but we will most likely just get strats, relics and warlord traits.

I personally want one of the elite characters to move to HQ so we can have a cheap HQ option. Either Tallyman or Noxious Blightbringer would make the most sense.

Alot of the DG characters kind of suck for their points, the Lord of Contagion being one of the worst units I've ever seen. His aura is terrible, no reroll ones, no ranged at all and has cata armor that slows him down but all lords get 4++ anyways so it's a hinderance. PA won't fix them most likely. The next codex might. I'd love to be wrong though, but we will most likely just get strats, relics and warlord traits.

I personally want one of the elite characters to move to HQ so we can have a cheap HQ option. Either Tallyman or Noxious Blightbringer would make the most sense.

Having seen the gold that is this recent PA book for Tau and Guard, I have confidence they can make some huge changes that allow for lots of improvements/overhauls. (Especially for the LoC, who like you said, is just absolute hot trash.)

Whatever our "pick two(sm, tau, gsc, guard, etc ..)/choose effect for turn(Gk, Thousand sons)" like everyone else is getting will probably be neat, alongside buffing character abilities of ones that suck.

That said, having seen faith and fury's chaos side, and the dark eldar stuff in Phoenix, I always know there can be abject flops. Time will tell! I just finished a tallyman, surgeon, biologous, and Blightspawn in hopes all of them (aside from Blightspawn who's already good) will get some usability love.

And most importantly, like this thread was spawned for. Some new stratagems other than like... the five we ever use.

Agreed, we need some more flavour.

At the mo I mostly use:

1. Move and shoot without penalty for pbc

2. VotLW

3. Autoblow vechicles

4. Rerolls

Rarely I have used

1. Blight bombard

2. Nurgle nuke (if I'm losing badly but habe a good chance of doing max dmg)

Looks pretty bland to me.