Primarch Triumvirate

b1soul

Guilliman killed Alpharius/Omegon, and the Alpha Legion made the Ultramarines believe that the kill wasn't confirmed to spread disinformation, whilst they themselves claimed it happened.

Sneaky, sneaky.

Edited by Ishagu

Back to the original question:

It feels like (to me) that Russ and/or the Lion have been the two most-hinted to return (on the Loyalist side).

The Lion I think adds a bit more, given his return would immediately complicate things given the whole nature of the Fallen and how it's been hinted that, tired jokes aside, they may or may not be loyalists, misunderstood, or at least otherwise redeemable. It'd be a great and complicated angle, but I also don't know that GW wants to open that can of worms, so to speak.

Russ would also be interesting, given the fate of the 13th company as well as reviving / revisiting his relationship to Magnus.

Besides them, Vulkan also seems one of the more plausible returns on the Loyalist side. The only real issue might be that I'm not sure his personality is easily distinguished from Guilliman's. Yes, they are quite different, with Roboute being somewhat more pragmatic in his idealism (if that makes sense) compared to Vulkan's, but in the grander scheme of things, I think Vulkan of all options presents the biggest risk of feeling like a twin of Guilliman rather than a true foil or counterweight. IMO they'd almost have to push Guilliman as an overreachingly ambitious Warmaster 2.0 being counteracted by an overly pious and loyal-to-the-Emperor Vulkan for it to feel like anything more than parallels of each other (IMHO, of course).

As much as I like the Khan in 30k, I'm not sure what would make him a compelling return to 40k. I'm sorta indifferent to Corax or Dorn, tbh.

There's also the possibility of using one of the loyalist primarchs to 'run' the Nihilus part of the Imperium. It'd let GW further explore that half of the galaxy, plus more 'indirectly' set up a rivalry between the two primarchs without forcing a confrontation or turning things into a three-way standoff between Guilliman, Abaddon, and the second Loyalist.

Having said all that, to me it really does seem like Russ and Lion would be the safest bets. They add to two full codexes rather than to two supplements the way a Dorn or Khan would, would also possibly let those books gain access to some new unique units, like bodyguards or resurrected 30k units, and I think have more compelling additions to the 40k background - Russ as the 'fiercely independent barbarian' to Guilliman's 'civilized statesman' plus antagonist to Magnus, and Lion could even play the part of Nihilus commander, adding further intrigue to Guilliman's side (ie they start hearing rumours that the Fallen are in league with Lion in reestablishing order, but does that mean the Fallen were the good guys or that Lion and the DA have truly gone all in with their fallen brethren?)

So I'd vote for Russ and Lion joining Guilliman as the likeliest scenario, albeit probably not in a true triumvirate (or more likely Guilliman officially announces them as such but the other two show almost no interest in actually functioning as such).

PERSONALLY...I'd rather see some true shenanigans in the form of Alpharius returning (or the rumours of someone in that identity showing up) and taking control of the Nihilus side. I think it'd be a fun campaign/storyline arc to have Guilliman hearing rumours that not only has Alpharius returned (and returned to the living), but that him and his Alpha Legion are seemingly acting as loyalists in bringing order to the Nihilus region, with an entire arc of Guilliman desperately trying to either reach or contact the Nihilus side to figure out what's going on.

Edited by Zuvassin

Guilliman killed Alpharius/Omegon, and the Alpha Legion made the Ultramarines believe that the kill wasn't confirmed to spread disinformation, whilst they themselves claimed it happened.

Sneaky, sneaky.

Dorn killed Alphy in the 30k novel Praetorian of Terra.

Alpharius is dead.

Is he though? After all, I could be Alpharius, Gulliman could be Alpharius, the Emperor could be Alpharius, Alpharius could be Alpharius!

To be honest, out of all the "dead" primarchs, Alpharius coming back is something of the most paradoxical things possible: It would be equally awesome as it is bland.

Though if they were to wake the Lion and find it was Alpharius all this time I would laugh!

"Russ as the 'fiercely independent barbarian' to Guilliman's 'civilized statesman' plus antagonist to Magnus"

I think the above kinda applies to the Khan as well (though he hates being called a barbarian). His relationship with Magnus (his old friend for whom he almost got the VIth destroyed) also has quite a lot of potential. Russ and the SW are still, of course, a far more popular SM faction.

I wouldn't want to see Dante pushed out of his leadership role in Nihilus just yet, but if it were the Lion returning, I think the Lion may at least want to run the show on Nihilus, or he would want the freedom to do his own thing (I guess this could be explored)

EDIT: Russ also has the Wulfen angle to explore after presumably all that time in the Eye

Russ shouldn't be a wulfen. This site has had the topic brought up about once a month and each time it's been found that writers, GW employees asked, and other sources say it isn't happening.

I feel Simon Grant said it best though,

"...and if/when Russ returns, he certainly shouldn't be a Wulfen. What most people get confused with is the difference between the Mark of the Wulfen and the Curse of the Wulfen. The Mark is more to do with Russ’ genetic legacy, so you can have Blood Claws that grow canines worthy of a Long Fang, and warriors that are more hirsute, or grow enormous in size (like Haegr and Ranulf the Strong). The Curse of the Wulfen is more of a spiritual curse that originated with Wulfen himself."

Does he have canis helix ?

No. Canis Helix was made by the Emperor after finding Russ. It was made for the purpose of bringing the old men of Russ companions to be Space Marines. The first Wulfen (his name was Wulfen also, no seriously it was) was made at this time. It is said that he was bitter of Russ and when he transformed his first action was to attack Russ and was slain. Russ than stated any that partook of the Cup of Wulfen and was evil would become a Wulfen. 

Lol it might be, but GW is funny with the lore. Unless it's expressly retconned you have to assume it still applies.

It's why stuff like Zoats and Squats are still a thing, getting recent models despite the lore not mentioning them for ages.

Is this second edition lore?

The Emperor making the cup of Wulfen was in 7th I believe (maybe 8th I didn't read the lore in 8th yet). The first Wulfen was in Space Wolf Omnibus, which is still in production

Edit: I just remembered the SW Omnibus was just printed as a 20 year anniversary edition, which makes me think it is still very prevalent.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

I ask because a space marine named "Wulfen" being the first Wulfen sounds like something from the early whackier fluff

wulfen are literally named after the first marine, Wulfen, who became a man wolf thing