Tale of Gamers: Guard Edition

Focslain

So while organizing my stuff for the coming build up I ended up finding the following:

3x Chimeras
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Leman Russ Demolisher
Hydra Flakk tank

All still in box. Plus the Scoin getting started box I got over the holiday. Seeing this and knowing I have a squad of basilisks, a wyvern, a squad of vendettas, a vulture and a squad of orgyns as well as maybe more buried in the mountain of plastic. Including another battle tank or two. I decided to switch from my original idea of Aeldari to Guard for this group event.

So here I will track my progress like I did with my knights last time.

The armies are built in 250 pts blocks, building onto of what came before. Each block is to be completed in about three weeks with a battle against each opponent during that time or afterwards depending on scheduling. The end goal is a 2k army.

This time I'll be facing against the following armies so far:

Chaos Knights w/ nurgle daemon support
Imperial Guard - Steel Legion themed
Sisters of Battle
Sisters of Battle
Chaos Daemons - Slanneesh
Necrons

I say so far as I know the players and I'm only expecting the following armies to be continuing past the half way point with me:

Chaos Knights w/ nurgle daemon support
Imperial Guard - Steel Legion themed
Sisters of Battle

From talks with most of the players I have their starting lists, mine is a patrol with some punch.

Tempestus Prime - Command Rod, Powerfist

6x Scions - Hot-shot lasguns, hot-shot volley gun, sgt w/ pistol and chainsword

Leman Russ Battle Tank - hull mount HB and HB sponsons

Comes in at exactly 250 pts.

For now the Tempetus are just filler, their final assignment is for an army build for the Convoy Run mission in CA18. The core being a battalion in Turoxes. The Turoxes are the objectives.

As this goes on I'll be adding more tanks for an Armoured Company.

In light of the new custom regiment doctrines, the first two fit just fine. So taking Expert Gunnery and Disciplined Shooters. Later as I go more vehicle heavy I'll switch Disciplined Shooter for Jury Rigging.

I'm willing to take suggestions on arming the tempetus for guard duty.

A good way to get armies going, nothing like deadlines to motivate ;) For running Stormies in support of Guard I think they work best as small squads to insert and trouble shoot. Dropping a five man team in to get a bead on a character, support/artillery unit can go very far, or act as reinforcements to a beleaguered flank :) That sort of mobility is useful, but all the more so for Guard that are often restricted in how much mobility can be employed.

For such a role plasma lends itself obviously as viable against most targets, but I've always been partial to melta too - that D6 damage and AP-4 go far!

A good way to get armies going, nothing like deadlines to motivate :wink: For running Stormies in support of Guard I think they work best as small squads to insert and trouble shoot. Dropping a five man team in to get a bead on a character, support/artillery unit can go very far, or act as reinforcements to a beleaguered flank :smile.: That sort of mobility is useful, but all the more so for Guard that are often restricted in how much mobility can be employed.

For such a role plasma lends itself obviously as viable against most targets, but I've always been partial to melta too - that D6 damage and AP-4 go far!

Well the force on it's own is for the Convoy mission from CA18(?). Basically three full loaded turaox Primes towing containers with a little air support and some sentinel outriders. Ends up being a battalion and an Air Wing.

For this project they are just the start as I'm mostly going to do tanks. Only other infantry I'm adding is maybe some Ogryns after I figure out if doing ogryns or bullgryns. Then I need to find the parts for the weapons.

I got the squad together as well as the tank. I modeled the sgt w/ PP and PF since that is what I want him to have in the end. We're allowing gear proxies since things can change as we get access to more points. Also added a plasmagun the is 'deactivated' for this. Though As I type this I realized I could have built another basic scion and will later.

I completed painting the tank last night, I'll post pictures of it later.

Here's the WIP of them.

Febwip1

First I certainly didn't follow a link to this thread from the Eldar forums, obviously that would be heritical and I, a loyal Guard commander, would not sully myself in such a place...

Secondly, Good time to start Guard. Sounds like you have an end game list in mind? If you share it we could help pick it apart, then pick what the next 250 point chunk should be (the answer is always a tank FYI). 

Scions got a huge boost in the recent book, assuming you take them in their own detachment. A Battalion of 'em does the trick nicely and by the sounds of it you're wanting 3 Taurox Primes eventually? A perfect fit. Could be a good place to move into next if you already have most of the models as well.

Not much of an end goal list yet other then it has to be 2K. I'm basically building the army from what kits I've gathered over the years. I can't get new models this year as I'm trying to make a dent in the mountain of plastic.

Next 250 planned is:

Punisher Tank w/ HB Sponsons (removing sponsons from LRBT)
Gryphonne pattern Chimera w/ pintle stubber
+1 Scion

That comes to 497 pts

As for endgame I did a rough list of what I have avalible. I got three detachments, a patrol, air wing, and spearhead.

Patrol
Tempestus Prime
Scions x7
Ogryns/bullgryns x5 (min)
Gryphonne pattern chimera
Turox Prime

Air Wing

Vendetta/valkyries x3
Vulture gunship (twin punishers)

Spearhead
LRBT
LR Punisher (either being the commander)
Wvyrn x2
Baskilisk x2 (maybe x3)

All this is around 2K, but it's all I have... well that and (looks in WGE box) 6 commissars. Not much I know, but guess it's all about which enters when.

Like what I did in the Knight thread I'll get recon reports on what the others have. Just that we have to use the same list against each opponent and we can swap in and out units between increases.

So as promised here's the recon on the first block. I'll add more info as I get it. Please remember that we don't have to make legal detachments until the 750 block.

Chaos One: (Confirmed)
Daemon Prince w/ Wings
Furies x6
Furies x6

Necrons: (Confirmed)
Lord
Immortals x10 w/ tesla blasters

Guard: (rumoured, not verified)
Company Commander x2
10 man infantry squad w/ plasma gun x4

Sisters One: (Not verified)
Cannoness
10 woman Battle Sister squad - flamer/SB
(got the starter army box and saint celestine, not sure on the rest of her list)

No clue on the lists of the second Chaos and sisters player.

It seems that most are trying to go legal detachments.

For the Chaos players, Player One is going Nurgle theme and adding Knights very soon (500 or 750 block starting and above). Player Two is going either Khorne or Slanneesh, but has interest in building a combined army of the two.

I'll drop intel as I get it.

Always good to be ready in advance, well done! Does this mean you can start preparing for the next lot? Would be useful especially as a Guard play where you might end up having to paint more models than others :tongue.:

Not really, I'm going vehicle heavy.

Next 250 is a Punisher Tank and a Wyvern. After that I might do the second Wyvern and look into working on the air support. Most likely the vulture w/ twin punisher cannons.

Though speaking of infantry I believe i confirmed the other guard player's first two lists:

Company Commander x2

4x 10 man infantry w/ plasma gun

Above plus

3x 10 man Veteran squad w/ 3 plasma guns

So need the shots.

One of the sister players is going heavy infantry at the start. From discussions it seems she's taking the following:

Cannoness

2x 5 woman battle sister squads

10 woman dominion squad with 4x storm bolters

Imagifier

She has this combo that makes it so she ignores -2 AP and soon is seeing if she can pull off a 4+ shield of faith combo as well. I'll double check on the combos, but I can handle a 3+ save if I'm flinging a lot of lead at it. Also the 4+ shield requires her to castle and I can out range her or once we start doing missions I can hit other units.

Edited by Focslain

Pieced together the next 250, also added the last scion from the kit because why not.

Taleswip2a

I need to find some parts for the second wyern as well as the cockpit glass for the vulture. But should find those in the next month,

Games should start next weekend.

For the first two steps their generally kill points. From the 750 up the players decide the missions. With plans for an Apoc team game in November.

Personally I'm going to try the EW missions. Been having fun with those.

So got my game in with one chaos and sister player over the weekend.

It was a simple kill point affair.

The sister final list was:
Canoness - condemtor bolter, chainsword
Imagifier - bolter, book of St Lucis
6 woman Dominion squad - superior with chainsword and inferno pistol, 4 sisters w/ storm bolters, Simularcrum, armiumor cherub
Mortifer - flail, buzz saw, heavy bolter x2

With her force ignoring my -2 AP weapons cracking the power armour was hard, the mortifier dropped in two rounds, not getting to my tank.

Sisr1a

The sisters bunched together and slow advanced. With a few rounds of shooting they wiped out my scion squad.

It broke into a brawl in the center of board as I knew I couldn't continue to move without getting caught. So after the Prime ran to the cover of the tank I re positioned and charged the group. By then most of the Dominion squad was gone.

Sisr1b

The Prime did most of the damage with his powerfist, wiping the rest of the dominions and then breaking off to allow the tank to finish off the two characters.

Didn't fair as well against the Chaos player. I got two rounds of fire off before he was on me like a cheap suit.

I killed on group of furies, but not enough to get a shoot at the daemon prince. The second group went after my Scions and after a few rounds of brutal fighting the prime was still standing (tough guy).

Chaosr1a

The prince dropped my tank, luckily it took two turns to kill, giving my prime a chance to kill the other fury squad.

The game ended when in a last ditch effort I charged the prince and managed to wound it a bit before being cut down.

Chaosr1b

Round two recon

So the next step for me is the Wyren and Punisher. For the chaos player his adding a warglaive and another FA, heard riders.

For the sister player she is looking at adding a repressor and a battle sister squad.

• 2 weeks later...

So got the two tanks done for my 500 pts. I also sprayed the vulture and second Wyvern for my 750.

Guardtale2

While I have an air wing to build I'm strongly thinking of adding in a freeblade gallant to the mix. I have the parts for a build I've been planning and it would throw a curve at the chaos player.

At least for now I have a spearhead detachment and I'm going to look into the Emperor's Wrath artillary company since I'll have two wyverns and two basilisks when this is all done.

Also for the current stage I'm thinking of giving the wyvern full-load magazines so I can re-roll all the shot die instead of the one. Be worth the 1 CP.

• 2 weeks later...

So with the area in quarantine the FLGS is closed and most of the group are trapped in our homes. I do however live with one of the group, the sister player. So we might get a game in with our 500 pts lists if she is up for it as I do have a full sized table at home.

I was looking at what models I have and what I’m working on. With two players planning knights (the chaos player and now the sisters player) I was thinking of adding one myself. I’m already working on a gallant so figured I add it in.

Right now I'm painting up the vulture then the vendettas slowly due to getting the vg bug and playing too much Stellaris

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking that head on your knight. I'm on my phone and can't enlarge it, is it a wolf head? Where did you get it from? I may use that idea myself Haha. Keep up the worm buddy.

Yup, its by a guy called Gadgetplus. You can the wolf head and more here

Edited by Focslain

• 5 months later...

So to try out and get used to the crusade rules, a friend and I will be doing a 1v1 crusade campaign.

He will be playing nurgle (yes the same guy I faced earlier in this thread) and I will be playing a mix of knights and guard.

While the crusade will start with knights I will be adding guard, mostly the models painted in this thread, to the mix.

My opponent is going to be bringing all things nurgle, daemons, marines and knights of his own.

Once the guard starts getting added I'll post more here. Until then the opening battles will be in my knight thread. I do have the crusade force mapped out and most of my RP earned will be to expand the force.

Crusade Reinforcement Plan

Starting Force (5RP)
Knight Errant(warlord trait/relic), 2x warglaives, 1x Helverin, 1x Moriax

Phase One: Knight reinforcement (5RP)
1x Helverin and 1x Moriax

Phase Two: Armoured column (21RP)
Scion squad
Tempestus Prime
Tank commander (Executioner)
LRBT
LR Punisher
Wyvern x2
Basilisk

Phase Three: Air Support (13RP)
Vulture
Vendetta x2
Thunderbolt Fighter

Phase Four: The Grinder (Infantry Platoon, 11RP)
Company commander x2
3x Infantry squads
2x Heavy weapons squads

Yes this will take some time, but that is kind of the point isn’t it?

One of the ways to I’m phase out the knights is to have a special rule that we can’t use the same unit back to back. This will only happen once the order of battle reaches 100PL. My knights take 75PL, so I’ll hit this once I start adding the combat patrol that I started this thread with.

Wish me luck in wiping the filth from the battlefield.

So the thought accrued to me that all my guardsmen (minus the few scions) do not have the proper equipment to survive in an infected battlefield. IE no masks.

So I'm going to grab two sets of these:
Raumjager Infantry with enough of these heads for everyone and build the platoon I'm adding at the end of this. I have more then enough special and heavy weapons to arm them. With the flamer range increase I might add a few of those to the group.

If I can have all these done by thanksgiving I'll be impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Figure I drop this here. 

Over the weekend I built and painted up the Taurox from the scion SC box. Basically so I could toss the box. 

I had planned to do a trio of these for the old Convoy mission, so I magged the carriage from the Containers set to it's rear step.

20200927 151910

Hopefully the scion SC will be around for a bit so I can get two more.

Very cool, great idea :thumbsup: Where are the container wheels from?

It was originally in the gravantic servo hauler set. You can now get them in the Conservartor set releasing this week and this time it comes with the cargo container included.

As a side note, I did pad the wheels with a little GS, the original model is built for rail way travel.