The Path of Thorns - a 30K hobby log

Morngrym

• 1 month later...

I'm going to be working on a small (5-man) squad of these fellows in between other projects.

The Iron Hands MKIII squad kit has a wealth of great parts.  If you're looking to build the Iron Tenth, I think those parts could really stretch across 15 marines effectively to give each one a bit of customization.

Iron Hands Legionary, Clan Atraxii⁣

50936685853_60f87797ba_o.jpg

50937484862_4a66153a79_o.jpg

50937372741_89cd1b2cfc_o.jpg

50937484847_5d66d0e0bd_o.jpg

Oh, as a side note I forgot to mention this - 

If white and yellow are the most difficult colors to paint, then I think black is certainly the most difficult color to photograph.  You basically have to use dark backgrounds, or it completely washes out the details.  Even good, solid light can also sometimes have that effect if it isn't just right.

I had more trouble taking photos of this one simple little model than all the others combined I think!  :)

Edited by Morngrym

Good job.

Thank-you Sir.

Your Wolves are ace, really nicely painted. I also really like the axes, where did they come from?

I appreciate the feedback! 

The axes are from Conversion World - I removed the handles and switched them out for others that I thought fit the wolves better.

• 4 weeks later...
  ===  For the tenth!  ===

51018038492_2b4620fe71_o.jpg

The second Iron Hands Legionary is now complete.  I'm going to try to get this entire squad done before going back to my other projects.  Hopefully I won't get distracted along the way.    :rolleyes:

51017213383_626c172089_o.jpg

51017943451_022862dfeb_o.jpg

51017943456_aa17ba642d_o.jpg

51017943466_6419a11ee8_o.jpg

Solid work on the Iron Hands, the basing looks great and complements the secondary metal colour nicely

Thanks, I appreciate that feedback!  I generally try to stick with lighter bases for dark models (and vice versa) whenever possible.  It seems to work best for me.

• 2 weeks later...

51069729342_4c1f81cf0c_o.jpg

"I lost my arm to the traitors on Isstvan V.  I lost many brothers who I had known since my earliest days.  But I have not lost the fire that burns within me.  Months have passed since that day and my lust for retribution has grown into an inferno.  As the traitors make their way towards Terra, I will continue to dog their every move...taking my revenge in blood at every opportunity."

- Vergas Darrios, Battle Brother of Clan Atraxii.

Two more marines from the Iron Tenth are ready to join the fray!  That leaves only the Sergeant left to finish. 

These fellows are kind of free-form when it comes to the weapon choices - at some point they may be mixed into other squads if the ranks continue to grow.

51000515270_19d8198f49_o.jpg

51069794077_706a9a09e7_o.jpg

51069697866_b9f8006d1e_o.jpg

51000515250_1372512f7e_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
51105557263_3965dcbfe2_o.jpg

Sergeant Kardas Mier of the Iron Hands, Clan Atraxii.

51109743729_4ff0414bf8_o.jpg

The full squad is now complete!  

I've really enjoyed working on this kit and I will certainly be revisiting the Iron Hands again soon.

51105655471_72c445154c_o.jpg

Edited by Morngrym

Great Iron Hands! Love the painting. 

Thanks!

Continuing to bring out some solid work, the grime and discolouration of the heavy bolter ammo drum is well done.

I appreciate that - I also just found your Iron Hands thread and I'm really enjoying it so far!

You know, I really thought I didn't care for "old scale" Firstborn models anymore, but you've changed my mind with these. It's nice to see them getting this kind of careful painting and modelling attention, and they look just as impressive as any Primaris thanks to your efforts. Lovely rich black tone on the armour, and superb basing work - that's a crackle texture paint over cork, right?

I think you've really captured the feel of the Age of Darkness here, too, details like the subtle grime and the bloodstained bayonet make them look like they're in an unrelenting fight. Just great work all around.

Continuing to bring out some solid work, the grime and discolouration of the heavy bolter ammo drum is well done.

I appreciate that - I also just found your Iron Hands thread and I'm really enjoying it so far!

Thanks! I really love the Tenth, some great lore and models.

You know, I really thought I didn't care for "old scale" Firstborn models anymore, but you've changed my mind with these. It's nice to see them getting this kind of careful painting and modelling attention, and they look just as impressive as any Primaris thanks to your efforts. Lovely rich black tone on the armour, and superb basing work - that's a crackle texture paint over cork, right?

I think you've really captured the feel of the Age of Darkness here, too, details like the subtle grime and the bloodstained bayonet make them look like they're in an unrelenting fight. Just great work all around.

Thank-you, that is high praise brother!  What you mentioned is exactly the sort of feeling I tried to capture with these marines - they have been through unimaginable hardship since the events of Istvaan V and they still continue to fight with every bit of strength they possess.

On the topic of models - although there are certainly some impressive Primaris marines out there now, I still like the older-scale models the most.  The designs just seem to be so full of character and that's really what draws me in.  You are correct about the bases - they are cork with the Citadel crackle paint on top (Martian Ironcrust and Ironearth specifically), then a couple red/brown washes to get the shade I wanted.

Edited by Morngrym

• 1 month later...

----  Space Wolves Legion Vigilator  ----

51187162885_34f0ca5c56_o.jpg

51186092531_bbdf4f38e4_o.jpg

Jorn Greylok is a lone hunter and master scout of the Vilka Fenrika.  He is highly skilled at all aspects of assassination and sabotage.
Jorn’s lot in life has always been about stealth and subterfuge, very different than most of his wolf brothers.  Thus, in his earliest days it was clear how he could best serve the legion. 

Due to the methods and style of the strikes, his handiwork is often attributed to the Raven Guard or even an element of the Alpha Legion with their unknown motives. This type of misdirection suits him just fine - he prefers to be a ghost, rarely seen or heard.

51186092511_3535994c07_o.jpg

"All in a day's work"

Mission spec: termination of high-value target.
Jorn occupied a small ridge adjacent to the enemy base, concealed and motionless, as he had been for several hours.

< contact >
< ...identification conmfirmed... >
< calculating atmospheric conditions >
<< adjusting >>
< fire >

The target crashed to the ground in a heap as the precision sniper bolt finished him.
Traitor marines instantly reacted, dropping into defensive formations and scanning the area around the base, while others quickly organized into teams and prepared to search for the attacker.

However, an instant later the depot's promethian fuel tanks suddenly ignited in a thunderous explosion, leveling everything (and everyone) nearby in a horrific wave of fire and shrapnel.  For several moments, fiery debris rained down and multiple chain-reactions further shook the area before an erie silence eventually fell over the landscape.  Jorn scanned the area through his scope, but nothing stirred and nothing remained.

< mission status: complete >

A toothy grin appeared within his grey helmet as Jorn disappeared into the wind-swept wastes of the frozen tundra.

51186310923_89cb0417ed_o.jpg

51185400117_7ea99b756d_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

---- Introduction ----

51273841545_1e1ce70b50_o.jpg

As the XIV Legion fought in the last days of Terran Unification and the first battles of the Great Crusade off-world, they were given the epithet of "Dusk Raiders" by those they fought and took it for their own. This name was a consequence of their use of the ancient Albian tactic of conducting major ground attacks at fall of night when the shift of light confused an enemy's watch, and gathering darkness would shadow an advance across open ground.

The Dusk Raiders were the XIV Space Marine Legion raised by the Emperor of Mankind on Terra at the dawn of the Great Crusade in the 30th Millennium. After the Emperor discovered the Dusk Raiders' Primarch Mortarion on the poisonous world of Barbarus, and gave him command of the XIV Legion, Mortarion changed the name of the Legion to the Death Guard in honour of the name of the military force he had raised on his homeworld of Barbarus to overthrow the rule of that Feral World's necromantic warlords.

Legion Colours:
The Dusk Raiders' base pattern Power Armour was an unpainted storm grey. The entire right vambrace, gauntlet and shoulder plate (sometimes both) were painted the deep crimson of drying blood, which signified the XIV Legion's status as the "red right hand" of the Emperor's justice.

51272064367_e2144abab4_o.jpg

Credit: warhammer40k.fandom.com

===================================

---- The Champion ---

51272793616_539f1f43fa_o.jpg

Compliance is such a clean term for such a messy thing.
The Warlords on these worlds were mostly all the same - they ruled by strength and fear.
Part of this strength usually meant having one or two warriors who were fearsome to behold, larger than all others and brutal beyond description...at least to those they were subjugating.  These warriors were the most powerful of their kind and none could stand against them.  They were the enforcers who bent the entire population to the ruler's will.

They were also just the sort of prey that Vitas Skorvall would seek-out on the battlefield.
During those battles, confident, arrogant foes would often take the field against him, boasting of how brutal and painful his death would be.  Cheers from their brethren fueled the bravado as a jagged circle eventually formed around the contest, onlookers thirsty for bloodshed.  

However, those watching seldomly expected to witness what ultimately happened.
Vitas never spoke during battle - he went about his business in cold, calculating maneuvers that slowly dismantled the defenses of his foe, one cut at a time.  Some small, others larger, but all leading to an unavoidable conclusion.  Often the end was swift for his opponent.  However, on other occasions Vitas took more time than was actually necessary...sometimes much longer.  

It all seemed to depend on the arrogance and disposition of the warrior before the entire thing began.  For those most arrogant of foes, the end was not swift at all - it dragged on, one uncomfortable minute into the next.  Eventually the man was a blood-soaked mess, staggering or crawling around helplessly as the crowd grew silent.  They also knew their own ends were upon them - Vitas did not come alone and the other warriors of the XIV stood ready to conclude the campaign in their typical way.  Thus, time passed and the Champion relished his task as personal combat became his driving purpose.  

This, my brothers, is all we know - he is not mentioned in any later historical records.  The eventual demise of Vitas Skorvall is lost to the ages of history, but it is surmised by many that he did finally encounter a foe that he could not defeat and fell in battle.  He would have had it no other way.  Indeed, regardless of your skill there is always a faster blade, or more hardy soul somewhere in this vast universe.

51272793606_24ca5685a5_o.jpg

51273520974_806426e48b_o.jpg

51272043232_67229aa9a0_o.jpg

I love your work, especially all the heraldry on your shoulder pads!

Beautiful works.

Thank-you!

Solid work on the Dusk Raider, the pose and armour details really capture how I imagine the early crusade warriors. Bonus points for the top knot!

I appreciate that - I'm very interested in the early-crusade period, just wish we knew more about it.  Maybe a few new stories will emerge after the Siege series is complete.  

• 6 months later...

---== The Battle of Calth ==---

51820423616_a2960f4eaa_o.jpg

Ultramarines Sergeant Caelius, leading his legionaries during a counter-assault against the Word Bearers in the days after the initial attack on Calth.  He led ongoing engagements in the catacombs beneath the planet for many months before eventually being killed during one of those missions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, I'm very excited about some of the recent Heresy releases and I think 2022 will be a big year.  It seems like interest is growing again for sure.

Hopefully some of my fellow old-timers will also be posting a bunch of creative new Heresy builds this year!