A return to 40k - Adepta Sororitas army beginnings

Second week, second squad! There is definitely a benefit in not beign able to go somewhere... :biggrin.:

Somehow I like the first squad a bit more, but these are not as bad either. Only regret with the Sister Superior's face. I don't know how, but I messed it up. And then had to repaint it, but it didn't turned out that great. I would definitely need some more practice on human flesh and little facial details.

SoB 6

I will start working on the third squad tomorrow, and finally order the Exorcist. 
Later I would also add a third BSS box to my collection, but I might make Celestians out of it... 

I'm also thinking on ordering the new, made to order Battle Sister, because she looks fabulous! But the high price and the webstore only thing makes me really sad. If it would be also available in the FW Store... (because I also need some AT weapons, which are also expensive as :censored: ...)

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/18/know-no-fomo-order-2-heroes-for-just-2-weeks/

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it took a while, but I finally managed to paint the third Battle Sister Squad! I hoped them to be ready last week, but there where some difficult days, or better said two weeks, when this whole quarantine-loneliness struck me really hard (again). Now, still not fully cheerful, but back to business and hope to catch up with the initial plan.

SoB 7

Honestly, I'm struggling with the faces and painting human flesh as a whole. I might grab some AoS/Warcry stuff later to try and practice on them, to be a bit better.

Back in April I ordered the desired Exorcist, but I think I will not see it maybe until the end of May. In the meantime I will be working on the Canoness and two Cherubs. I was never a fan of the Cherubs in 40k, but the new ones look fun (if such a thing as a servitor-angel could be called funny...)

I've been going through the same thing. I hot to go back to work last week, that helped but still down. As for the flesh, I bought some fyreslayers during this and the flesh contrast. Works so good, I found how flesh will be done for me from now on. Give it a try. I watched a video on YouTube that convinced me to try it. Well worth it.

I've been going through the same thing. I hot to go back to work last week, that helped but still down. As for the flesh, I bought some fyreslayers during this and the flesh contrast. Works so good, I found how flesh will be done for me from now on. Give it a try. I watched a video on YouTube that convinced me to try it. Well worth it.

I think there are many-many people like us. Last year wasn't the best for me, but I hoped that this will be different - and it is... sort of... but not in the good way :down:

Thank you for your suggestion. I found the Warcry bands quite tempting, they look really good, and I love the barbaric theme. I also have found some really helpful videos on Youtube, but the Sisters don't have many parts, on which I could practice the painting. Actually, I always avoided painting flesh, it is high time to give it a go.

On my sisters, I just used a flesh color paint, then agraxth earth shade, then a little white mixed with the flesh color to high light. Easy for small spots like that. I avoid flesh on my sisters as much as possible, helmets, helmets, helmets.

Happy Easter to everyone!

Last week I worked on the first BSS, and as we weren't going anywhere on Easter I managed to finish the ladies. I'm actually quite pleased with the colour scheme I picked for them, although I had some problems at the start. It seems that I have no luck with white primers. I used Army Painter on these, but I had a really-really grainy finish on them. Even with multiple there are still surfaces, where you can notice the difference. I cannot tell how I managed to pull this, because the temperatures where normal and I followed the instructions on the distance. Funny, but when I reduced the spray distance, the finish was better, still there was no chance to correct everything... :sad.:

Nonetheless painting them was still a great joy. Unfortunately this week will be full of work, but I will still try to finish another squad. It would be nice, if I could finish the three demi-squads and the Canoness until the end of April. In the meantime I will make and order with an Exorcist, to build up the army with a bit of punch...

Looks good. :) Same color scheme as I'm playing, Sacred Rose. Painting them in layers of brown/beige/bone-white/white makes the dertails pop out alot. I'm maybe also gonna try spraying mine white for a crystal clear white and the other parts painted regularly aswell.

Last week I worked on the first BSS, and as we weren't going anywhere on Easter I managed to finish the ladies. I'm actually quite pleased with the colour scheme I picked for them, although I had some problems at the start. It seems that I have no luck with white primers. I used Army Painter on these, but I had a really-really grainy finish on them. Even with multiple there are still surfaces, where you can notice the difference. I cannot tell how I managed to pull this, because the temperatures where normal and I followed the instructions on the distance. Funny, but when I reduced the spray distance, the finish was better, still there was no chance to correct everything... :sad.:

I had the same exact problem when I printed mine with that branch. The solution was to put them in normal alcohol overnight. When I took them out I passed them a brush and it returned to normal.

As a positive thing, the primer effect was still there although not the graininess, so I was able to paint calmly without having to re-prime them. Win-win

Looks good. :smile.: Same color scheme as I'm playing, Sacred Rose. Painting them in layers of brown/beige/bone-white/white makes the dertails pop out alot. I'm maybe also gonna try spraying mine white for a crystal clear white and the other parts painted regularly aswell.

Thank you! I really like the scheme, glad that I decided on this eventually, and not went with one of the "main" orders. I hope that I can do justice on the vehicles as well. Fingers crossed that I get the Exorcist next week...

I had the same exact problem when I printed mine with that branch. The solution was to put them in normal alcohol overnight. When I took them out I passed them a brush and it returned to normal.

As a positive thing, the primer effect was still there although not the graininess, so I was able to paint calmly without having to re-prime them. Win-win

I have a really bad history with white primers. I remember my first GW one, which I had to throw away, and the second one (which I bought two year ago) made also a mess on my models. On the other hand the Chaos Black spray works fine, and I never had any issue with it. Eventually, I'm thinking on using black primer on the next bunch. I hope that it doesn't make my progress more difficult. 

I use Rustoleum 2x black and white primer with great success for years now. Like any spray paints you gotta shake it really good so it'll coat nicely. Hope this helps you.

Yesterday finished the Canoness and the two Cherubs. Here are the results: :smile.:

SoB 8

Finally something that didn't give much headache! Everything went smooth, and I quite like the end results. The Cherubs where absolutely fun to paint, love them, and Sister Rosette also looks cool. :wink:  I hope that she will smash some faces in the upcoming battles.

I will take a break from the painting until the Exorcist arrives (I still have some other projects running what need my attention), and I'm planning my next order for June. A second Canoness is a must have to fill the requirements for the Battalion. I'm also considering a third box of Battle Sisters from which I would be able to add a fourth, fully armed BSS and maybe a squad of Celestians, to accompany one of my Canonesses! Would it be a good idea?

My other thought was a unit of Repentia, to have some melee punch to, but they would also need a Rhino to safely travel through the board.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, on Monday the Exorcist arrived. I'm working on it very slowly... It is the most detailed, most beautiful vehicle kit I ever built, or ever saw... Amazing amount of detail.

I don't know, and maybe some of the more experienced gamers may have an answer: should I equip it with the hunter-killer missile? Is it worth the points?

Just my opinion but thru all the editions I've played, HK's have never earned theit points for me. In my experience, spending those points on another body has more potential then a one shot (never works for me) wonder. Just my theory. Also, magnets can be your friend, hint hint.

Just my opinion but thru all the editions I've played, HK's have never earned theit points for me. In my experience, spending those points on another body has more potential then a one shot (never works for me) wonder. Just my theory. Also, magnets can be your friend, hint hint.

Thanks Dread, you just confirmed my initial thoughts. Back in 5th and 6th edition I played Imperi... hmm... Astra Militarum :wink:  and I never had any success with my HK missiles. They were just a waste of points.

I finally finished the Exorcist, now I'm building some AT stuff. If the weather gets good, I will prime the tank tomorrow. I want to finish it before I made a new order on models, and maybe in the meantime there will be some more information on the new edition. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty excited! I felt something similar back when 6th edition was coming... 

I'm excited but also bummed. I'm tired of having to buy new books, I look back on what I have and sigh. As long as they put the rules out free and our books continue working I'm excited.