The Brotherhood of Gereg - White Scars blog

Ilgoth

I decided to start a blog on these forums, hoping to keep up with constant work needed to complete my force in a timely manner. Ever since 2008, the year I discovered Warhammer 40,000 - White Scars were my loved chapter of Space Marines. It is high time to make them happen, and to future proof the force I aim to keep infantry pure Primaris. My personal opinion is that vanilla marines look daft and out of place next to these new guys. Can't look at them in the same way any longer.

More so one thematic part of the force is the use of flyers. Never done that with my armylists before, so want to have that here. Already own one Interceptor that is waiting to get on my painting table. :whistling:

To start off the blog, here is a "completed" Reivers unit.

gallery_198454_16128_123822.jpg

Learned loads with this unit, I think the next patch of infantry will be quite a lot faster to complete! Wasted lot of time with the armor given the results and look of them. I chose to paint Reivers first, because in current 2000 points list I don't have them, so they made a perfect practice unit for figuring out the process of painting this scheme.

I have used muted colors here.

> White is actually grey. (Ulthuan Grey is the brighest highlight)

> Red started as brown (From Doombull Brown into Evil Sunz Scarlet)

------------------------------------------------------

I call the "The Brotherhood of Gereg", 15th Company of White Scars. I know by lore they have 10 companies like other codex-compliant marines, but I decided to skip some numbers. I like the sound of 15th! :Troops::Troops::Troops: I will be painting squad markings and such, but for now I am unsure if I want to paint some company marks. I am open for ideas!

Next on the table - 10x Intercessors. They will be two units of five guys, auto bolt rifles and sergeants bring in the thunder hammer. :biggrin.:

Nice so far. The White Scars don't get enough love :smile.:.

So true! Surprisingly one of the least present chapters what I have seen. These days see even Raptors or Charcarodons more!

Thank you for the warm welcome all.:happy.:

As I am basecoating 10 models of intercessors, I thought I would share my planned work log for the army with some bit of reasoning. Some for looks and thematic reasons, but also gameplay influenced decisions.

• INTERCESSORS # 1 - They form the backbone of my infantry. Will come in squads of 5 models, grunts equipped with auto bolt rifles for constant Advance. Sergeant flails thunder hammer and thus, we have a unit that provides numbers in all phases of the turn. Good looking models, and like them in gameplay.
  • PRIMARIS CAPTAIN # 1 - I think every Space Marines force should have at least one, just fits in so well. But I do this because I got it in battleforce box. Would prefer Phobos HQ options over him otherwise.
  • STORMHAWK INTERCEPTOR # 1 - Finally getting into flyers! I hope I really nail the painting on this one, because I want it to be main piece of the collection if only possible. I think flyers fit in well for White Scars. I mean cmon, offensive infantry need their fast and heavy support!
  • BLAST FROM THE PAST SPECIAL - Won't tell what it is beforehand. Won't use it for games, but I want to model and paint one.

Rest not figured yet, but we will see some Invictor Tactical Warsuits and Infiltrators! Also Impulsors for intercessors...

Edited by Ilgoth

Sealing the basecoat

Intercessors + Primari captain has been basecoated with Dryad Bark, and sealed with varnish after basing. This is the first phase I do before painting minis, as now when we scrape them for battle damage (with a tooth pick or barbeque stick), we reveal the dark brown beneath. I think for this purpose, dark brown is lot better than full black or darkish grey.

Next phase will be getting nice clean base color for our white armor.

Assembled Gunship #1

This morning I didn't feel like painting white armor, but I still used hobby time well, and assembled the upcoming gunship! Bought it 2nd hand last year, and it was started with assembling. Previous owner didn't send me the instruction sheet, but gladly internet was aiding me.

I am confused though, as plan was to make an interceptor, but the sprues were lacking it's canopy. Slightly confused now.

• 3 months later...

Good piece of advice is... do not be a nurse when pandemic hits. That doesn't bode well for your hobby. But I am back! All healthy, even though I went through the virus myself.

I have been working on my force, and those 10 intercessors are almost complete. First group is, if you exclude the thunder hammer on the sergeant. I didn't figure how to paint it yet. But I think I want to do it with some sort of blue glow? Yeah.

gallery_198454_16128_160211.jpg

I am not happy with the freehand work on the chapter logo, but I let it be for now. I feel I could re-do it so many times, and still not be happy. Will return to those, once my motivation to hone these guys come in. For now, I just want to see them painted.

The principle with the work is, the guys themselves need to stand out from the base and thus, I keep the bases muted (also adds to my wish to being able to complete these guys quicker). I find that the gun needs to be muted as well, so that the model is in balance. Needed something heavy and dark in there. Felt the belt, and some grenades aren't enough to make that happen.

Tried to keep that battle damage controlled this time.

Edited by Ilgoth

Great minis! The weapons look a little bare, the hammer especially looks like it could have some colour variation to break the black up. 

Thanks! The rifles are complete, indeed done with few colors. For example left the usual metallic pieces out. My current objective is to make them look good, but as fast as possible. I do compromises in places where I can come back later easily. Rifles are good for that, easy to paint in metallics later.

Hammer is WIP too. :( Didn't know how I wanted to paint it, so left it there for now. First time I am painting any kind of scifi melee, if you dont count ork or reiver blades. Thunder hammer is very odd object for me.

I actually like the black barrels for the guns, it's different from the usual silver and it works in my opinion. If you're interested in doing a power effect on the hammer, there are quite a few nice tutorials on the internet on doing so. 

I actually like the black barrels for the guns, it's different from the usual silver and it works in my opinion. If you're interested in doing a power effect on the hammer, there are quite a few nice tutorials on the internet on doing so.

I think I just got an idea. :wink:

Here is a look at my WIP captain.

gallery_198454_16128_266253.jpg

Details bits still need love, also part of the gun and his sword!

• 3 weeks later...

My Primaris Captain is complete for now, will do a touch up on the sword though. Images revealed bit sloppy finish.

gallery_198454_16128_1433659.jpg

Bit of a collage from all angles. I love the theme on him, and I think here I nailed the amount of battle damage taken. Also the back of his right leg might be the best work I have done with this white armor. I think the glazing towards the light succeeded real nicely!

Two details shots.

gallery_198454_16128_511547.jpg

gallery_198454_16128_256181.jpg

Some sloppy parts here and there. I think I could give the gun more love, maybe paint the front handle in different color?

The Primaris CAPT is well done, overall. I presume he was trained by the Ultramarines- if not by Guilliman himself- and has yet to adopt the White Scars' culture. (Replacing the Roman Legionnaire's horsehair crest with a topknot will make him look Mongolian.)

My Primaris Captain is complete for now, will do a touch up on the sword though. Images revealed bit sloppy finish.

You can easily excuse the rough finish as weathering- a sign the CAPT is beginning to act like a White Scar instead of an Ultramarine, using time that would otherwise be wasted polishing his armor for a pointless victory parade, on combat training if not in combat itself.

The Primaris CAPT is well done, overall. I presume he was trained by the Ultramarines- if not by Guilliman himself- and has yet to adopt the White Scars' culture. (Replacing the Roman Legionnaire's horsehair crest with a topknot will make him look Mongolian.)

You can easily excuse the rough finish as weathering- a sign the CAPT is beginning to act like a White Scar instead of an Ultramarine, using time that would otherwise be wasted polishing his armor for a pointless victory parade, on combat training if not in combat itself.

Man you are right. With the top knot he would be so much more fitting + he already threw his cape away. Clearly he doesn't give a flying duck about parades and looking fancy.

Thank you @Graceless for both facts. I think key to painting white is to keep actual white very minimal. I dont even use white scar layer paint in these dudes. If I had to, I would use it as edge highlight at the top 33% part of the model.:happy.:

I just modelled 10 infiltrators, once I do their bases and clue them in, I can start the process of basecoating them + a flyer... :wink: