Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Granite Gorgons [2000pt] (IW/AL/NL)

Iron Warriors Alpha Legion Night Lords

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

nanosquid

nanosquid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts
  • Faction: CSM, Sisters of Battle, Orks

In recent weeks, I've become frustrated with the lack of options I found in running mono-legion Iron Warriors, and started experimenting with my collection to see what I could come up with to get some more CP and, more importantly, some more options to spend it on. While it took a great deal of holding my nose to mix legions together, I couldn't help but feel like it was the intended way to play the faction post-F&F, as I went from general grumbling monotony to a really engaging and energetic playstyle with decisions and gambits each and every turn. Looking at the roles I was struggling with, I re-configured my usual list to have room for a second battalion to get all that sweet CP, and provide my melee units with some better buffs (NL) and my backline campers with some passive defense (AL).

Hidden Content

So far, it's been great to have melee options that can dash past overwatch in order to protect my long-range havoc castle from similar long range firepower, and the Alpha Legion sniper character opens up huge possibilities for getting rid of a troublesome buffing character or even just a beatstick like the ubiquitous Smash Lord. Safe plasma lets the terminator crew mop up for days, and if they're able to stay out of range of the counterattack the AL trait makes them even tankier than they already were. Camping objectives with MSQ marine squads is less of a losing proposition when I have the rhino, lord discordant, jump units, and terminators keeping the pressure up, and making them Alpha Legion means any attempts to shift them will be just a tiny bit harder. Plus, they provide a node for use with the "can't deepstrike within 12"" strategem to protect the homefield objectives even more, and bringing my Sorcerer in teal colors frustrates enemy snipers without losing any big benefits since the Hereticus discipline targets HERETIC ASTARTES rather than <LEGION>.

I've really gone from burnout to loving the hobby again thanks to this buffet of options and just how much I get to adjust and react on-the-fly. As a friend of mine said, don't have too much of a plan - bring the list that is like water, and lets you shape it based on your opponent's moves. This list has been designed around facilitating strategems such as Cannon Fodder, We Have Come For You, We Are Alpharius, and so on, not to mention the options with relics. I've had a great time with it.

Thankfully my slow pace of painting my own collection means I've had time to decide on this course before EVERYTHING had free-handed hazard stripes...

Edited by nanosquid, 08 February 2020 - 07:27 PM.

Debauchery101

Debauchery101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 646 posts
Red corsairs are not bad to use. It's very hard for me to not use some in a lot of my lists because Chaos can really be nasty with a nice stack of CP.

Huron as you warlord gives you a free relic(reaver lord warlord trait) and 1 extra CP. Hes also a psyker who can cast 2 powers, 4+ invul, powerfist, heavy flamer, power axe. he can advance and still charge...all for the price of 105 pts.

For 577 points you can take a red corsairs Battalion that will give you 9 CP with him being your warlord. Also you can easily say for Fluff reasons that Huron killed the former warsmith of your IW at the Skull Harvest Tournament. Now you're all following the tyrant....

Red Corsairs Battalion
Huron Blackheart
Master of Executions

2x5 chaos marines-autocannon
20x chaos marines-Champ w/combo-melta/fist, 2 melts guns, mark of slaanesh & icon of excess

The stratagem to redeploy a full 20 man chaos marine squad that also regains all lost models is so powerful. You could go all plasma instead of melta..over charge, then endless cacophony and then redeploy and get new plasma gunners. Plus 20 marines who can advance and charge then proc extra hits on 5+...brutal...you can take 17 marines with chainswords/pistols..51 attacks with 33% chance on each attack for another one..and yeah that's just vs imperium but still worth the 10 points for the banner

Also black legion are legit. The Chainlord setup is hands down the most lethal character option for chaos that cant be targeted except for snipers.

Another good option is pox walker spam...I think it will be a pretty big thing competitively now that Grey Knights are Back. They are not demons so they're, in my opinion the most optimal screen choice for now.

For 550 you can take
Typhus
Malignant Plague Caster

3x20 pox walkers

For another 408 you can add 3 plagueburst crawlers...

My friend in our club actually uses death guard and 1k sons for his IWs army. He models the death guard IW in bulky, heavily cybernetic enhanced scheme. All his pox Walkers are survivors.

His 1k Sons IW are an interesting mix of Marines/Necrons/Skitaari/Tau. The sorcerers look like Warpsmiths who have integrated Xenos tech into they're bodies. The rubric marines are 1
Red corsairs are not bad to use. It's very hard for me to not use some in a lot of my lists because Chaos can really be nasty with a nice stack of CP.

Huron as you warlord gives you a free relic(reaver lord warlord trait) and 1 extra CP. Hes also a psyker who can cast 2 powers, 4+ invul, powerfist, heavy flamer, power axe. he can advance and still charge...all for the price of 105 pts.

For 577 points you can take a red corsairs Battalion that will give you 9 CP with him being your warlord. Also you can easily say for Fluff reasons that Huron killed the former warsmith of your IW at the Skull Harvest Tournament. Now you're all following the tyrant....

Red Corsairs Battalion
Huron Blackheart
Master of Executions

2x5 chaos marines-autocannon
20x chaos marines-Champ w/combo-melta/fist, 2 melts guns, mark of slaanesh & icon of excess

The stratagem to redeploy a full 20 man chaos marine squad that also regains all lost models is so powerful. You could go all plasma instead of melta..over charge, then endless cacophony and then redeploy and yet new plasma guns. Plus 20 marines who can advance and charge then proc extra hits on 5+...brutal...you can take 17 marines with chainswords/pistols..51 attacks with 33% chance on each attack for another one..and yeah that's just vs imperium but still worth the 10 points for the banner

Also black legion are legit. The Chainlord setup is hands down the most lethal character option for chaos that cant be targeted except for snipers.

Another good option is pox walker spam...I think it will be a pretty big thing competitively now that Grey Knights are Back. They are not demons so they're, in my opinion the most optimal screen choice for now.

For 550 you can take
Typhus
Malignant Plague Caster

3x20 pox walkers

For another 408 you can add 3 plagueburst crawlers...

My friend in our club actually uses death guard and 1k sons for his IWs army. He models the death guard IW in bulky, heavily cybernetic enhanced scheme. All his pox Walkers are survivors.

His 1k Sons IW are an interesting mix of Marines/Necrons/Skitaari/Tau. The sorcerers look like Warpsmiths who have integrated Xenos tech into they're bodies. The rubric marines in each squad resemble their sorceror/smith..

Edited by Debauchery101, 08 February 2020 - 08:58 PM.

The Pleasure God's Chosen

Emperor's Children (RIP) 2500 pts
Death Guard 3500 pts
Iron Warriors 3000 pts
Enslaved Traitor Guardsmen 1500 pts
Daemons 4000 pts
Salamanders 3000 pts
Necrons 2000 pts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Iron Warriors, Alpha Legion, Night Lords

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users