WW2 themed IG, Montgomery 101st

greatcrusade08

• 2 weeks later...

Tables looking good :thumbsup:

Coming along nicely the carbines look great and such a simple conversion :thumbsup:

thanks guys,ive been slowly painting these up.

Its a slow burn as juggling a full time career and a degree with a family is not easy, but im making good progress.

Should have another update soon

Edited by greatcrusade08

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just realised i havent updated this thread in over a year.

Some update, almost all models have been base coated green, several models have been fully painted. Pics to follow.

I have increased numbers slightly, i now have 140+ infantry and 120 conscripts and have my first game set for end of July.

Given the changes in CP rules i am running a battalion and brigade and using three fixed heavy weapons (sandbag emplacements) as armoured sentinels to bypass that and keep to theme. 

Im not 100% on the basing, i tried something simple basic, urban war, but feel its too dark. What are the thoughts here? should i try a lighter drybrush, or would a grey base rather than black be better?

monty.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Managed to play my first game against a cool couple guys last night.

first game vs salamanders elite list, he had 3 units of eradicators and two of agressors death star with vulkan, chaplain and apothecary.

he entire army kills one unit of conscripts a turn, was a complete meta shock for him. called it after a couple turns of hilarity.

i then played death guard, who had better anti infantry ability, but even after two whole turns of shooting had only killed around 100 models. I did poorly on the objective game however.

key takeaways from running infantry.

• movement was not the issue, shooting takes forever.
  • theming my weapons to WW2 era was hardmode. MLs -2ap meant marines still getting 4+ save or 3+ in cover. grenades and flamers suck.
  • mortars are awesome
  • conscripts are the boss with creed, who can stack take aim and FRFSRF on them.

rules Q: creeds additional order on 4+ does this stack on an additional unit too?

guard1.jpg

guard2.jpg

Edited by greatcrusade08

So your doing the same thing I am with my Stallenburg, only using weapons that fit the theme of the timezone you have based your force on? 

Ill have to drag my behind down to Thetford at some point when my stuffs finished so we can play on hard mode together. I have lost interest in playing against marines as its all I ever see, and the state of the game doesnt help with my lack of desire to play, at least Guard vs Guard should be easy to keep track of lol

Good idea on the fausts, Ive been using them as grenade launchers but I do need some anti tank in my army. I may paint some faust tips red and say they are melta charges, just explain to opponents before the game weapons are colour coded and what they represent.

Im using left over ones from my Bolt Action Germans, I may have some left over if you want them? I should have some with arms holding them and singles to attach to peoples backs as spares. 

++EDIT++

They scale ok on the WGA Grognards, and they are pretty much the same as Cadians, maybe one mil thinner, Ill check a faust on a Cadian body now and see if it fits ok, if you want them they are yours. 

med_gallery_75911_16694_664533.jpg

++EDIT II++

Almost fits on with a slight bend of the faust between the hands, may fit with a little trim here and there. If you want them I have two being held and four singles. 

faust.jpg

Edited by Slave to Darkness
Picture added

The Bolt Action SS box has the rounded style ends shown in my image, but I have just noticed looking at sprues online their Grenadier sprue has a single one with a pointy tip. Dont know if that info is of any use to you, but now Im thinking of using the rounded charges as grenade launchers and the pointy ones as meltas. Off I go to see what bits sites have to offer!!!

Lemme know where to send the spare ones and Ill pop them in the post as soon as I can. 

• 2 weeks later...

So i played again yesterday evening, had a blast vs nurgle. thier -1 dmg is tough as nails. 

I ran a combo list of tanks and infantry, i ran demolishers as i figured d3 dmg battle cannons suck vs nurgle.

i took displicned shoters and gunnery experts and used a commisar as warlord to order conscripts.

Qucik Q, if i order a unit of conscripts, does this double onto another unit, or is that purely for infantry?

I think in terms of getting best bang for buck of the amazing lasgun rule, that Creed and large blobs of conscripts is amazing, my infantry was very lacklustre.

so ill head back to a cadian conscripts list.

• 2 weeks later...

Lemme know how a conscript heavy list works out, it does seem tempting. Also Ive not forgotten about the Fausts, just had a lot on recently and changed my meds so my heads been all over the place, Ill get that in the post for you (hopefully) this week.