Changes to FW units

Kaldoth

So not too long ago FW announced they'd be releasing new index books to replace the (not so) current editions. Admittedly I'm a huge FW fanboy. In any TTG or RPG I play, I'm the guy that loves to delve through extra books looking for the obscure gems that bring something new or quirky to the table. What's got me most excited about the new release is this quote from the community page:

The Warhammer 40,000 Studio – those industrious people behind rulebooks, codexes and expansions like the Psychic Awakening books – are hard at work on a new series of tomes that will cover the range of Warhammer 40,000 miniatures Forge World produce. These books will include updated datasheets and army rules that give these glorious models abilities and benefits that are comparable to the rest of the forces in the game.

Whether or not you like having to shell out the cash for the new PA books, every one of them so far has been awesome IMO. New rules, stratagems, relics, etc that all bring new ways to play or bring underpowered units that never see the table a reason to be fielded again... what's not to like? The fact that the same rules team that is doing PA is also working on the new Index books sounds great to me.

Personally I can't wait to see what they do with Tolholk and Kutlakh, and the Maynarkh Dynasty as a whole. The Maynarkh Dynasty is one of my favorites, but you rarely see them getting played because their characters are kind of "meh." They've both got some great abilities, but they've also got some weird stuff that just makes me raise an eyebrow and question the thought process behind it all.

For Tolholk I would love to see his Aeonstave get a rework. I love his other rules, but man is that weapon effect useless. You don't want a Cryptek in close combat anyway, and even if he is there it's a useless ability. Given that it's supposed to have a temporal warping effect, something like a once per game ability that keeps an enemy unit from moving, advancing, charging, or falling back would be awesome.

Kutlakh could use some love as well. Bring his attack characteristic up to 4, and make the Obsidax +1 S and a flat 2 or 3 damage. His Splinter of Madness ability also doesn't really fit his fluff if you ask me. He's supposed to be a dread force to anything living and cause all who encounter him to feel a sense of madness and impending doom. I'd love to see a morale effect on him. Maybe something like every model he kills in close combat counts as two for morale purposes, or even simpler a 6" -2 LD bubble.

Getting into serious wishlisting now, but given that the same rules team that did the 8th codex rules and PA books are working on the indexes, I think a Maynarkh code and stratagems wouldn't be too far of a reach. What those would be I have no idea!

So as far as necrons go, what would everybody like to see? What are you most excited about?

Edited by Kaldoth

I'd love to see Acanthrites come down in cost or up in power so they're worth using.  As it is they're pretty good at killing medium infantry which we have so many better options for.  But I would love to have a reason to pick some up.

The characters definitely need work.  They're expensive and I don't feel they really add much that you can't do with standard characters.  It'd be cool for Maynarkh to get an actual Dynastic code, too.  

I also think our super heavies need revisions.  Seraptek is decent but just doesn't have the kind of output it needs for the cost.  Maybe if they increased the number of shots the guns had but decreased it's close combat strength while leaving the cost the same, it'd see more use.  The pylon and sentry pylon are just too limited in use for what they do.  They should make the sentry pylon weaker, lower the cost but give it a targeting matrix aura that lets us reroll 1s or something.  Maybe it can deepstrike turn one as long as it lands within 6" of friendly units and 12" away from enemies, too (which makes sense for a sentry pylon to do).  And change up the weapons - I feel like they're competing with each other more than with any unit in the codex.  Meanwhile, the pylon is just too expensive for how restricted it is.  It's only anywhere close to being worth the cost if you know for sure there are titanic units to shoot at.  I really want to buy one but at this point it would only ever see use as terrain.

I am sort of worried that the Maynarkh named characters will get dropped or moved to Legends since they don't have models, but otherwise hope to see rules buffs for them making them stand out a little more. As for Code wouldn't it be most beneficial if they just got to pick their own and have it apply to Tolholk and Kutlakh?

I wish the Pylon had more reliable shooting and/or lower points cost.

I'd like to see 2 things happen

The Pylon go to 2d3 shots on the main cannon, and get a 4++ invuln save. Its completely immobile, and thats a huge downside to it. I'd remove the +1 to hit flyers/-1 to hit ground targets stipulation as well.

For the Seraptek, it needs more survivability to really be useful i'm finding. I'd love to see it get a 2+ armor save for starters. That, or a roughly 100 point drop in price so its not so hard to fit into a list. I'd say its worth 525, but 625 is simply far too steep a price tag.

I would hope the seraptek gets Quantum shielding, or get a method of damage reduction. Maybe give it an impact field rule that reduces all incoming damage by 1 to a minimum of one. It would make it slightly more vulnerable to small arms fire, but it's fairly resistant against that anyway--the seraptek is mostly vulnerable to anti-tank weapons. It's offensive capabilities are pretty good, all things considered. Even a 50 point drop would be useful--that's another heavy destroyer, or a squad of scarabs, or another wraith. A hundred points would be significant, but a slight boost to it's defensive capabilites and a minor point drop would be a welcome change.

• 1 month later...