Leviathan Dreadnought: worth it? use? weapons? and...chaos?

BolterZorro

Hi, I like the Leviathan Dreadnought miniature but it is quite an investment (in money...and points).

I'm not sure if I like it enough to buy it especially if it is useless on the table. So, I have several questions for pro players :

- what is it worth in a list? OP? Usable? nice? useless ? what are the pro/cons?

- what are the usal weapons set? what are the pro/cons of each weapon?

- and a side question: is it usable in chaos list?

(PS: I'm a SM-full primaris since v8 and chaos player , so, already full equiped of many things: so, this question is about expanding the collection but not mandatory because of so many other things/armies...)

Depending on how you equip it and what chapter you run, it can be anything from a thematic unit that costs a bit too much, all the way to an over-powered, invulnerable unit that can single handedly decide a game lol

The most popular weapons currently are twin Storm Cannon arrays.

Edited by Ishagu

It's worth it for the model alone. It's pretty expensive compared to plastic kits, but when your hobby experience and budget allows for it, it's a worthwhile purchase.

The most common and strongest arms are double storm cannon arrays. These put out a crazy amount of high damage firepower. Honestly, as long as you have at least one storm cannon array, pretty much any weapon on the other arm will work okay. The downside of having double storm cannons is the enemy can lock you in melee, and then you can't shoot, and you have pretty bad melee. You can fix this by putting a siege claw or siege drill on the other arm, but you lose 10 shots from the second storm cannon. Worst arm is probably the cyclonic melta one.

Chaos Space Marines can use them, they are called Hellforged Leviathans, and the storm cannon arms are replaced by butcher cannons. Don't know about the other weapon options for Chaos.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

Levi for CSM is better as melee build or double grav. It's more efficient for us to use butchers on contemptors IMO.

Seconding this. I think the biggest issue with Leviathans being run as melee is the fact that they're just hilarious overkill on most infantry models in the game, as S16 AP-3 D3, re-rolling wounds, is enough to gib even Aggressors/Centurions in one hit from the Siege Claws

The Soulburner Ribaudkin is also a REALLY nasty weapon, since it's 2d3 shots and each shot that hits (On 2s if it didn't move, 3s if it did move, at top tier) deals Mortal Wounds. Two of those means it can, if all shots go well, do 12 Mortal Wounds to anything. Bye, bye anything less than a Predator, and hello super-nerfed Land Raider/Repulsor/Leviathan/Insert-More-Than-12-Wound-Thing-Here.

But yeah, the Butcher Cannon is better on Contemptors or Decimators. Grav-Flux is amazing on Chaos Leviathans, definitely.

I found the dual Grav Flux Bombards option to be ideal for many Marines lists.

What it does is provide horde clearance like no other, yet retain solid anti-tank AND anti-heavy infantry capacity, with only a few units that it performs poorly against.

A 30 strong horde unit will suffer 28 shots on average, at S9...

A 10 strong Primaris unit will suffer 12 shots on average, at D2...

A vehicle will suffer an average of 4 shots at D5(!) and AP that prevents saves.

I've cleared out 8 out of 10 Saguinary Guard in a single turn, hitting and wounding on a 2+. I've finished off angry Leviathans with D5 hits. I've tanked hits also that meant it just wasn't easy to fell, thanks to Duty Eternal and a Master of the Chapter repair.

I could go on but this is my case for the Grav Flux Bombards! ;)

I second the vote for the twin grav flux bombards.

It can do 3 things really well:

- Annihilate just about anything you point it at.

- Draw an insane amount of fire away from the rest of your army.

- Create an over 3 foot diameter bubble that your opponent almost pathologically avoids entering if they don't have an answer for it.

And sometimes they'll charge it only to be reminded the hard way that it's also packing 2 heavy flamers.....

Edited by Claws and Effect