Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Primaris Ultramarines - painting along with WH Conquest

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

Hey folks,

as some might know, WH Conquest has finally been released in Germany. So I decided to try my hand at some Primaris Space Marines. I'm sort of painting along with issues, though I'm not superfast and might get sidetracked from time to time. To be honest, I already sorta am, I'm painting a warhound for the "Titans of the Heresy" event here.

Anyways - the Primaris will be standard 2nd company, although I plan to use them as sort of the personal guard of Tetrarch Felix, so the gold is more of a general Ultramarines signifier than standard 2nd company markings. 

Well then, let's see how far I get with these, shall we? smile.png

Here's the first one:

Primaris1 Front
Primaris1 Back

2nd one is already work in progress. 

Got any comments, critique or a question? 

• Doghouse, Focslain, Sgt. Blank and 8 others like this

Visit my painter profile on Instagram: https://www.instagra...gfused.painter/

gallery_48988_15465_14148.png gallery_48988_15465_5251.png gallery_48988_16045_16337.png

My Titanicus Plog  My Ultramarines Primaris Plog

Ilgoth

Ilgoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 41 posts

Hey what is Warhammer Conquest? Your painting work looks good, love the skin color.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,517 posts
  • Faction: Summoners

That is really nice, I especially like the blue. The lighting on it is superb. :tu:

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Hey what is Warhammer Conquest? Your painting work looks good, love the skin color.

Take a look over here: http://www.bolterand...est-issue-list/

Also thanks to both of you. :) 

• Ilgoth likes this

gallery_48988_15465_14148.png gallery_48988_15465_5251.png gallery_48988_16045_16337.png

Kolgrim DeathHowl

Kolgrim DeathHowl

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,395 posts

Excellent painting!

• Kenzaburo likes this

gallery_48988_15094_2023.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.png

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 666 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
That's some great painting. Reminds me of the sketch style... Kind of like what trovarion does for example...

Your friendly neighbourhood murder husky happy.png.

My humble Space Wolves plog

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

That's some great painting. Reminds me of the sketch style... Kind of like what trovarion does for example...

It's pretty similar, yeah. It's a way of highlighting that's pretty popular with a lot of the bigger names in painting currently. I learned that from Cult of Paint at one of their workshops last year. It's pretty neat and not overly hard to do. It just takes time... :/

• ranulf the revenant likes this

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

I thought I might add some rather bad WIP pics - bad, because these are snapshots, I didn't bother adjusting the lighting. :)

My second Intercessor is coming along nicely and will be finished soon. I'm still trying to find shortcuts to get standard troops out faster while having a similar look to characters and sergeants, which get a bit more love. 

Primaris2 Wip1
Primaris2 Wip2
Primaris2 Wip3

I've also kitbashed and did some super-minor conversion on two more of those snapfit Intercessors, so that together with Calsius they form a nice little squad of 5 Intercessors and one Lieutenant.

• Focslain likes this

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

And the second Intercessor is done - got 3 more lined up on my desk already. Somehow I'm not liking the pictures though - they seem off compared to the wip picture. What do you think?

Primaris2 1
Primaris2 2

• Doghouse likes this

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

I finished another Intercessor about two weeks ago and forgot to post him here - he's a kitbash of a snapfit Primaris with hand swaps and some classic marine bitz added. smile.png

Brother-Stabius-1.jpg

Brother-Stabius-2.jpg
Brother-Stabius-3.jpg

I'll post another one probably tomorrow.

Edited by Kenzaburo, 06 April 2020 - 09:04 PM.

• Doghouse, Focslain, batu and 4 others like this

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 528 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

Nicely painted. I love your painting style! 

• Kenzaburo likes this

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png gallery_48988_16228_15684.png      

My Works in Progress

Profile picture by Julie Hang as part of Mermay. 

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Nicely painted. I love your painting style! 

Thanks, mate. :)

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 666 posts
Very nice! What do you use for the weathering on the boots? AK Streaking Grime?

Edited by ranulf the revenant, 07 April 2020 - 09:06 AM.

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

@Ranulf Actually it's nothing fancy. Just some thinned down Mournfang Brown that I also use on the bases. Thin it down to a glaze and do 2-3 layers of it and you're golden. :)

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Currently working on the 3 snapfit Reivers - their heads are almost done. Wow, those recessed eyes are incredibly tiny. sweat.gif

Anyways, I feel like this should do:

Reiver-Head-WIP.jpg

Got the aforementioned Intercessor almost done, too, but it might take till next week for me to finish it.

• BadgersinHills and Dr_Ruminahui like this

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Ha, I knew I had forgotten something - there's one more Intercessor already done. My 4th of a small squad of 5 now:

Line-Brother-1.jpg

Line-Brother-2.jpg

The 5 man squad will basically consist of the 3 snapfit intercessors, two of them with minor conversions. One of them was the Astartes with the knife I posted above, and the one coming up next week has a head swap and a bit of added bling. I wasn't able to convert them all that much, there's too much gear sculpted on and tbh, I suck at sculpting. :)

Still, for using the content of 2 Conquest issues, I'm quite happy with what I got. 

As you can see with the head posted above, I'm also working on those 3 snapfit Reivers. They have some weird poses, I think. But I discovered, that I acutally like painting Phobos armour more than mark X Tacticus. Good thing then, that I got the Shadowspear box sitting save and sound in my closet of shame. :D

• Focslain, batu, Dosjetka and 3 others like this

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 666 posts

@Ranulf Actually it's nothing fancy. Just some thinned down Mournfang Brown that I also use on the bases. Thin it down to a glaze and do 2-3 layers of it and you're golden. :)

Ah thanks, so thinning is the name of the game then 🙂. Totally agree on the reivers, weird poses, but the armour is nice because it has more variety to it. I actually find it a bit weird that the difference in the armour isn't really represented in the stats btw (like, maybe, an extra 1" of movement 🤔?)...

Edited by ranulf the revenant, 09 April 2020 - 09:44 AM.

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 528 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords.

Great stuff.

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png gallery_48988_16228_15684.png      

My Works in Progress

Profile picture by Julie Hang as part of Mermay. 

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

@Badgers: Thanks, man. :)

@Ranulf: It's almost always about thinning, that's what I learned over the years. The consistency of your paint is the key to effects and good results.

It's true that the somewhat lighter Phobos armour doesn't seem to have any ingame effects. But paintingwise, it's fun. The maybe weirdest takeaway I have from painting my first Primaris is, that I enjoy painting Phobos, but dislike Tacticus a bit. I like painting Mk 3, 4, 7 and 8 way more than X (Tac). The larger marines feel awkward in my hands - I don't know, I can't really put a finger on it. Every time I go back to heresy marines or Deathwatch veterans, they feel ... right in a way, that at least Tacticus doesn't. can't be the size of the mini alone - I have no trouble painting Custodes, for example.

I'm curious how Gravis armour will be. The Conquest issue with the 3 ETB agressors will be out next week and I'm keen to paint them.

Riklanim

Riklanim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 353 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Dragons
Very nice... I especially like the subtle battle damage remnants in the larger pics. Intercessor #4 in particular. Keep the pics coming.
  • Kenzaburo likes this
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,701 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Fine work on Guilliman's son.
  • Kenzaburo likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Very nice... I especially like the subtle battle damage remnants in the larger pics. Intercessor #4 in particular. Keep the pics coming.

Thank you. There's some weathering and battle damage on all of them - they might be newbie marines, but I want them to look like they've already seen plenty of action.

Also thanks @Bjorn. :)

• BadgersinHills likes this

Sandalphon

Sandalphon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,367 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Smooth stuff - really nice clean work with sharp details, number 4 would be my pick too - sign of continual improvement? Really nice work on the reiver head too
  • Kenzaburo likes this
outgunned, outnumbered - but never outclassed.

Kaeloth@CMON

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

Smooth stuff - really nice clean work with sharp details, number 4 would be my pick too - sign of continual improvement? Really nice work on the reiver head too

Thanks, I also feel like my linework is getting sharper, clearer. That's good, it was the reason for doing a bunch of Primaris after all. :)

I decided to also include some larger pictures of the first couple of marines straight in the posts, too. So here's the first 2 marines again:

Primaris-Sgt1.jpg

Primaris-Sgt2.jpg

Primaris-Auspex.jpg
Primaris-Auspex2.jpg

• Doghouse, batu and Dosjetka like this

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts

The last member of my squad of 5 is done - all of them are the easy to build variant you get with the first WH Conquest magazine or in the ETB-Intercessor box.

Primaris-Bull-1.jpg

Primaris-Bull-2.jpg

I'll try to take a squad pic some time this week.

There's also several 360-degree vids of the minis on my instagram (see signature), if you are interested in those - along with quite a few other minis which are not Ultramarines, of course. :D

• Doghouse, batu and Dosjetka like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users