Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IA: The Stonebound 2020 - Version 0.4, a First Draft appears

Here we go again Ace Debonair Stonebound DIY Liber Astartes Dwarf Marines An Idea too Stubborn to Die Part of Our DIY Heritage Liber Oldie

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Machine God

Machine God

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,338 posts
  • Faction: Scions of Ferrus

Can I ask why Redshields? I'd have thought you'd go for something like 'Ironbound' or 'Steelhearts' or something of that manner. Ores come from stone and what is refined through the forge of battle eventually ends up as the tested mettle* of the chapter.

Am I being too thematic here? I feel like this is a question you've covered in a previous version but my brain is dead. Apologies.

Tradition!
The Redshields have been the name of the Veteran Company since the earliest drafts, so I'd like to keep them.
Plus it just sounds cool. thumbsup.gif

Irounbound is the collective name of the Chapter's Dreadnoughts, for what it's worth - also a holdover from the earliest version of the Chapter.

Redshields - As in they're always in the forefront of battle against the foe. They are called Redshields as their shields are drenched in the blood of their slain enemies that they have broken before them.

(Edit: Emphasis on the blood.)

Edited by Machine God, 01 March 2020 - 05:06 PM.

• Brother Lunkhead and Bjorn Firewalker like this

"Borg to the Max!" "Destroy All Flesh!"

gallery_29004_6198_9307.png sml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.png gallery_29004_10383_6245.pnggallery_48988_6285_18080.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifgallery_48988_15465_969.pnggallery_48988_15465_5172.png

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

-James Nicoll

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,661 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves

Redshields - As in they're always in the forefront of battle against the foe. They are called Redshields as their shields are drenched in the blood of their slain enemies that they have broken before them.

(Edit: Emphasis on the blood.)

This descriptor is full of WIN.
  • Brother Lunkhead likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Ace Debonair

Ace Debonair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,605 posts
  • Faction: The Thousand Ideas

Update!biggrin.png

I have created a rough draft of an IA in the first post.

It's taken a lot of hours and very little sleep. laugh.png

Once I've hibernated for probably a few days, I'll have a look at padding out some of the less detailed bits and generally upgrading sections. happy.png

• Brother Lunkhead and Messor like this

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,565 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

woot.gif woot.gif Brother Ace. A most excellent introduction to your most honorable Stonebound Chapterthumbsup.gif The narrative is fun to read, with enough information to get your points across and to build further narratives with. Good job. 

gallery_26154_15777_13780.png

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,737 posts
  • Faction: Sons Of Doom,Vanquishers

A fine draft there, Ace! Well done. :tu:

So something that caught my attention was that their recruits come from mining-clans, now I didn't see anything mentioned, but when it comes to siege-warfare or similar, do the Stoneborn utilise their mining abilities for subterranean assaults or destabilising enemy emplacements before thundering in with a brutal, powerful attack on the surface as the walls crumble form beneath?

Atop that, regarding their original homeworld and keeping relics in pocket bunkers etc, are many relics still lost within those halls, locked away from the Orks through secret passageways and similar? I could imagine the absolute affront and dishonour upon seeing a Mekboy's newly Looted Battlewagon originating from an ancient and revered Land Raider or more likely, ornate firearms gubbinz'd up...

Cambrius

• Messor likes this

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Ace Debonair

Ace Debonair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,605 posts

woot.gif woot.gif Brother Ace. A most excellent introduction to your most honorable Stonebound Chapter:tu: The narrative is fun to read, with enough information to get your points across and to build further narratives with. Good job.

...A solid foundation then? tongue.png
That would be a fitting start for the exploits of the Exiles of Kagara Rightful Lords of Kharabor!

So something that caught my attention was that their recruits come from mining-clans, now I didn't see anything mentioned, but when it comes to siege-warfare or similar, do the Stoneborn utilise their mining abilities for subterranean assaults or destabilising enemy emplacements before thundering in with a brutal, powerful attack on the surface as the walls crumble form beneath?

I mean, on the one hand... digging tunnels seems a bit long-winded for how I imagine Space Marines with tanks and artillery options to conduct their siege warfare (i.e. blast everything to heck until the walls come down)…

But on the other hand Throne Yes, they absolutely do exactly that when the situation calls for it.
The Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors are probably dab hands at  siege tunnels, but I'd wager nobody moves earth like the Stonebound when the need is dire.

Atop that, regarding their original homeworld and keeping relics in pocket bunkers etc, are many relics still lost within those halls, locked away from the Orks through secret passageways and similar? I could imagine the absolute affront and dishonour upon seeing a Mekboy's newly Looted Battlewagon originating from an ancient and revered Land Raider or more likely, ornate firearms gubbinz'd up...

Cambrius

I... honestly thought I'd already put something like that in the article. blink.png

I kind of feel like seeing an Ork with looted gear would send the entire Chapter into full "I will not part with a single coin suffer the loss of a single bolt round" mode and they'd become even more murderous, greedy and reckless with the need to reacquire it and avenge the dishonour dealt to them.
  • Brother Cambrius and Bjorn Firewalker like this

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,737 posts
  • Faction: Sons Of Doom,Vanquishers

Cambrius

I... honestly thought I'd already put something like that in the article. blink.png

I kind of feel like seeing an Ork with looted gear would send the entire Chapter into full "I will not part with a single coin suffer the loss of a single bolt round" mode and they'd become even more murderous, greedy and reckless with the need to reacquire it and avenge the dishonour dealt to them.

It would certainly make for some...interesting notable moments in the long campaign of purging the Greenskin. Especially if they looted a Dreadnought's chassis for a Warboss...

Cambrius

gallery_26154_15777_7413.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.pnggallery_48988_15094_15503.png

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,661 posts

Stonebound Techmarine (beating an Ork Mek to death with the shoota he tore off the Land Raider-turned-Looted Wartrukk's sponson): "The Sons of Dorn have zero tolerance for hereteks, human or xeno!"

Smaug (watching from closed circuit cameras outside his hidden lair): "I thought I get grumpy when my treasures are stolen. Impressive rage, human."
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Ace Debonair

Ace Debonair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,605 posts

It would certainly make for some...interesting notable moments in the long campaign of purging the Greenskin. Especially if they looted a Dreadnought's chassis for a Warboss...

Cambrius

eek.gif

Wow, that's definitely going to be a thing.

The very thought of it made me genuinely angry for a second (I am getting too into character for this Chapter tongue.png), but even so I can only imagine the terrifying depth of the fury that the Stonebound would be capable of if such a thing were to happen.

10/10 idea, would carve into Grudge-Stones thumbsup.gif

Stonebound Techmarine (beating an Ork Mek to death with the shoota he tore off the Land Raider-turned-Looted Wartrukk's sponson): "The Sons of Dorn have zero tolerance for hereteks, human or xeno!"

Smaug (watching from closed circuit cameras outside his hidden lair): "I thought I get grumpy when my treasures are stolen. Impressive rage, human."

I tired to add a Smaug-type enemy in An'Zagurd, but he came out much more like the Balrog of Moria (and the 'Hidden Fun Stuff' in Dwarf Fortress) than the giant dragon of Erebor. sweat.gif

I'll have to add a few bits about An'Zagurd greedily hoarding treasure / technology on a world somewhere, and try to strike a balance of sorts between the two.

...And now I'm tempted to have a Forge World that the awoken serpent attacks (and is wounded on). I just need to think of a better name than "Forge World Dale" and this might actually work...

• Grey Hunter Ydalir likes this

Grey Hunter Ydalir

Grey Hunter Ydalir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,780 posts

I tired to add a Smaug-type enemy in An'Zagurd, but he came out much more like the Balrog of Moria (and the 'Hidden Fun Stuff' in Dwarf Fortress) than the giant dragon of Erebor. sweat.gif

I'll have to add a few bits about An'Zagurd greedily hoarding treasure / technology on a world somewhere, and try to strike a balance of sorts between the two.

...And now I'm tempted to have a Forge World that the awoken serpent attacks (and is wounded on). I just need to think of a better name than "Forge World Dale" and this might actually work...

Just a thought, but what about the Hrud? They live in underground cities called Juunlaks, made of tunnels, dirt, and dark, aparrently.

They would make a rather lethal and somewhat mysterious threat, given how little GW has truly fleshed them out.

• Bjorn Firewalker likes this

The Octaguide.
The Thousand Marine Myth.

On the scale mismatch of bolts and bolters by Coldfyre

Commissar Molotov's Castigators - Essential reading for IA Creation.

"...I have seen the birth of this world and I have seen its death. I walked with the first men and I shared a beer with the last. For me everyone is both old and young at the same time as a million lifetimes pass before my eyes and humanity is like the grains of sand in the desert, each breath to me a sigh in the vast never-ending vacumn of space."
-Silver Phoenix

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,661 posts

Just a thought, but what about the Hrud? They live in underground cities called Juunlaks, made of tunnels, dirt, and dark, aparrently.

They would make a rather lethal and somewhat mysterious threat, given how little GW has truly fleshed them out.

Good idea! The Hrud can be Skaven equivalents.
  • Brother Lunkhead likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 11,661 posts
Just saw a video of Baltimore Knife and Sword blacksmiths forging a historical war hammer, and thought it was relevant to this thread. The company also made a replica of Ghal Maraz .

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,378 posts

Hey again Ace old friend, it’s been a minute. I’m glad to see that you’re still writing! My initial idea was to run through your draft in the OP with a red pen, but I think it’s probably a bit early in the writing process to cut into grammar and syntax. So, I’ll stick to hopefully thought provoking questions and suggestions for now. 

The Chapter took the Hive World of Kharabor ('Keystone' in High Gothic) as a homeworld, and named themselves the Stonebound, after the local's name for the Space Marines.

I’m having a little trouble reconciling a presumably typical high tech low life hive world calling space marines something that sounds as primitive as “The Stonebound.” I’m not suggesting rename the chapter, but I’d consider reworking the name origin or the homeworld circumstances. Your description of Kagara works perfectly for this version of the story, but Kagara isn’t Kharabor and I’m not sure how much you want to share between them.

Semi-related, having a back-up homeworld in Kagara doesn’t convey “displaced” and “homeless” to me the same way something like “fleet based” would. That also means that you can fit the current Kagara description under Kharabor. The Chapter’s serfs aboard their ships and garrisoning their keeps could still be from or descended from Kharabor/ Kagara so you could keep the culture.

Riled up by the deviant convictions of the Dead Prophet, Galgor Toof-Robba, the orks of the Glastheim Rifts had become fanatically convinced they were already dead, and thus were 'living' in an after-death paradise that Gork and Mork supposedly reward good Orks with.

I don’t know what’s supposed to be going on here. What does “Dead Prophet” mean? Is Galgor Toof-Robba dead? If he’s dead, how is he still prophesying and riling up Ork empires? I don’t imagine Orks are too into reading scripture. Why is being in Ork Valhalla more motivating than a good fight in the mortal life as opposed to the afterlife? Why not be motivated by the opportunity to fight space marines or loot their treasures? Right now I don’t think this snippet adds anything.

the Stonebound marked the greatest of these offences onto formidable stone tablets, recording the wrongs that must be avenged in order to restore the Chapter's former glory. These Grudge-Stones serve as a permanent reminder of shames endured and losses taken, and only when the grudge engraved upon the stone is considered avenged is the stone ritually shattered.

The way that this is written, it sounds like the Grudge-stone tradition only starts after the Stonebound lose control of their home world. Is that intentional?

Since losing their first home and migrating to Kagara, the Stonebound's armoury is typically more centralised, and kept within the Chapter's reach at all times.

How is this not repeating the same mistake that lost them all their treasures the first time around? Wouldn’t the solution to not letting all of your treasures be stolen from a vault be to disperse the treasures around the Chapter and put them to use?

The Stonebound have been shaped by their history, and defined by their endless war to retake their lost realm.

The fall of Kharabor was a blow like no other to the young Chapter;

I don’t like this timeline or sequence of events. We need The Stonebound to be doing multiple things for a long enough period of time for everything to make sense. 1. How many relics and treasures can a young chapter really have? The Stonebound have to be old enough at the time of their defeat that raiding the Chapter’s vaults is a heavy and meaningful blow. Losing a land raider or a dreadnought (love that idea too, Brother Cambrius) with history and campaign honors is more impactful than losing one that doesn’t. 2. Then the Chapter has to lose Kharabor early enough in their history that fighting to reclaim Kharabor becomes a defining conflict. 

I’m also not sure what you mean by “realm.” Is “their lost realm” Kharabor? Is it the system? Multiple systems? A subsector? A sector? The whole Glastheim Rifts?

You’ve written Imperial Fist successors hellbent on vengeance and settling grudges. Why isn’t there an Emperor’s Champion role somewhere in there? Random thought jumping off from here, could the Stonebound be an offshoot Black Templar crusade? That way the Chapter could be older than the 6th Founding. It also fits nicely with the Chapter Keeps too.

The Redshields were honestly originally inspired by the Deathwing - I just really liked the idea of the First Company having its' own colours

I like the idea of a special First Company too. Any thoughts on changing the whole suit instead of just the pauldron colors?

I mean, on the one hand... digging tunnels seems a bit long-winded for how I imagine Space Marines with tanks and artillery options to conduct their siege warfare (i.e. blast everything to heck until the walls come down)…

But on the other hand Throne Yes, they absolutely do exactly that when the situation calls for it.

The Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors are probably dab hands at  siege tunnels, but I'd wager nobody moves earth like the Stonebound when the need is dire.

Are Termite Assault Drills or possibly an Ordinatus Aktaeus on the table?

Ace Debonair

Ace Debonair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,605 posts

Just a thought, but what about the Hrud? They live in underground cities called Juunlaks, made of tunnels, dirt, and dark, aparrently.

Good idea! The Hrud can be Skaven equivalents.

To be fair, there's Orks, Necron and Heretics already threatening the Chapter (and I'm still not 100% sure I should keep the Necron involvement)
I think there's enough enemies for the Stonebound to deal with right now. sweat.gif

It's a neat idea all the same, but I'll let someone else tackle the Hrud.

Hey again Ace old friend, it’s been a minute. I’m glad to see that you’re still writing! My initial idea was to run through your draft in the OP with a red pen, but I think it’s probably a bit early in the writing process to cut into grammar and syntax. So, I’ll stick to hopefully thought provoking questions and suggestions for now.

I had a funny feeling the Stonebound would drag a few old names out of the woodwork with them. 
Welcome back, brother. happy.png 

The Chapter took the Hive World of Kharabor ('Keystone' in High Gothic) as a homeworld, and named themselves the Stonebound, after the local's name for the Space Marines.

I’m having a little trouble reconciling a presumably typical high tech low life hive world calling space marines something that sounds as primitive as “The Stonebound.” I’m not suggesting rename the chapter, but I’d consider reworking the name origin or the homeworld circumstances. Your description of Kagara works perfectly for this version of the story, but Kagara isn’t Kharabor and I’m not sure how much you want to share between them.

Semi-related, having a back-up homeworld in Kagara doesn’t convey “displaced” and “homeless” to me the same way something like “fleet based” would. That also means that you can fit the current Kagara description under Kharabor. The Chapter’s serfs aboard their ships and garrisoning their keeps could still be from or descended from Kharabor/ Kagara so you could keep the culture.

Huh.

I'd honestly never considered fleet-based, and it makes a lot of sense.

I'll have to give this some serious thought.

I don’t know what’s supposed to be going on here. What does “Dead Prophet” mean? Is Galgor Toof-Robba dead? If he’s dead, how is he still prophesying and riling up Ork empires? I don’t imagine Orks are too into reading scripture. Why is being in Ork Valhalla more motivating than a good fight in the mortal life as opposed to the afterlife? Why not be motivated by the opportunity to fight space marines or loot their treasures? Right now I don’t think this snippet adds anything.

So.... when there wasn't anything explaining the existence of an Ork empire near Kharabor, I was asked to include something to justify the existence of Orks there.

I've thrown together a bunch of Orks based on the Discworld's Nac Mac Feegle, who believe that they're already dead and in the afterlife since from their point of view the world is just awesome.

The 40k Universe is grimdark and horrible, unless you're an Ork, in which case it's pretty awesome. There's stuff to fight and loot all over the place, and what proper ork doesn't love fighting and looting? So Galgor voices the idea that this must be where good Orks go after they die, and since they're already dead, they don't need to fear death.

On re-reading it, a randomly in-depth snippet about the orks does seem somewhat out of place.

I'd be happy enough to cut it completely, since as far as I'm concerned the entire setting justifies Orks being all over the place.
Also since I think Galgor and his followers might make an interesting Index Xenos article of their own at some point, where I can go into more detail about them.

I'll mull this over too.

the Stonebound marked the greatest of these offences onto formidable stone tablets, recording the wrongs that must be avenged in order to restore the Chapter's former glory. These Grudge-Stones serve as a permanent reminder of shames endured and losses taken, and only when the grudge engraved upon the stone is considered avenged is the stone ritually shattered.

The way that this is written, it sounds like the Grudge-stone tradition only starts after the Stonebound lose control of their home world. Is that intentional?

Yes indeed! happy.png
The fall of Kharabor is currently the intended trigger for the Grudge-stone tradition. 

Since losing their first home and migrating to Kagara, the Stonebound's armoury is typically more centralised, and kept within the Chapter's reach at all times.

How is this not repeating the same mistake that lost them all their treasures the first time around? Wouldn’t the solution to not letting all of your treasures be stolen from a vault be to disperse the treasures around the Chapter and put them to use?

That is precisely the point, but I'm glad you've picked up on it. msn-wink.gif
The Stonebound are, in some ways, very stubborn. This is (or at least, it should be) a flaw as well as a strength.

They're obsessed with remaking their glory days, and struggle to learn from their mistakes.

Heck, they probably wouldn't understand it was a mistake to start with. 

I don’t like this timeline or sequence of events. We need The Stonebound to be doing multiple things for a long enough period of time for everything to make sense. 1. How many relics and treasures can a young chapter really have? The Stonebound have to be old enough at the time of their defeat that raiding the Chapter’s vaults is a heavy and meaningful blow. Losing a land raider or a dreadnought (love that idea too, Brother Cambrius) with history and campaign honors is more impactful than losing one that doesn’t. 2. Then the Chapter has to lose Kharabor early enough in their history that fighting to reclaim Kharabor becomes a defining conflict.

That is a fair and valid point.
They'd have to flourish very quickly to still be a young Chapter when they lose Kharabor (and everything surrounding it). sweat.gif

More food for thought!

I’m also not sure what you mean by “realm.” Is “their lost realm” Kharabor? Is it the system? Multiple systems? A subsector? A sector? The whole Glastheim Rifts?

Consider it a shorthand for "all the planets they had keeps, armouries, or other materiel on, and most importantly of all, their homeworld." sweat.gif

You’ve written Imperial Fist successors hellbent on vengeance and settling grudges. Why isn’t there an Emperor’s Champion role somewhere in there? Random thought jumping off from here, could the Stonebound be an offshoot Black Templar crusade? That way the Chapter could be older than the 6th Founding. It also fits nicely with the Chapter Keeps too.

Because I have no interest in recreating the Black Templars, is the honest answer.
I like the Templars just fine, but I don't really look at them and go "They seem like the Dwarfiest Chapter".

If they were Black Templars, I'd have to justify them stopping their Crusade and taking a homeworld, only for them to lose their homeworld and either migrate to another or go back to crusading, making the entire justification in the first place a bit pointless. ermm.gif

It's probably a better idea to stick with the Fists.

I like the idea of a special First Company too. Any thoughts on changing the whole suit instead of just the pauldron colors?

I really like the colours I've picked out for the Redshields, so I'd rather keep them as-is.

I've got other Chapters who can change things up for their First Company, though...

I mean, on the one hand... digging tunnels seems a bit long-winded for how I imagine Space Marines with tanks and artillery options to conduct their siege warfare (i.e. blast everything to heck until the walls come down)…

The Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors are probably dab hands at  siege tunnels, but I'd wager nobody moves earth like the Stonebound when the need is dire.

Are Termite Assault Drills or possibly an Ordinatus Aktaeus on the table?

Both of those things are technically Mechanicus vehicles so I'd be very hesitant to outright include them in the article.
It'd be a bit like giving a tank-heavy Chapter a handful of Baneblades - it's a little bit too on the nose.

….I might have to amend my earlier statement to "Nobody moves earth like the Stonebound, outside of the Adeptus Mechanicus".

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It'll be a little while before the Stonebound get a proper update; What hobby time I do get these days is likely to be spent on the Iron Gauntlet and / or the 12 months of Hobby challenge.

But rest assured the boys in brown are not forgotten, and their time will come. happy.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Here we go again, Ace Debonair, Stonebound, DIY, Liber Astartes, Dwarf Marines, An Idea too Stubborn to Die, Part of Our DIY Heritage, Liber Oldie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users