Duly noted, but I wasn't actually expecting C&C on my choice of career. :laugh.:

Apologies, I did not mean to offend. Hell my wife is a store manager and I've worked retail for a good nine years now, with about 9 to 10 in hospitality before that. I think I'm over customer service, not necessarily working with people.

Otherwise I think I'd be happy enough as a hermit to be totally honest.

Addressing the article, I know what you mean by it not needing any extra chonk added to it, like a wolf-reference, it was just a similarly throwaway thought.

cough cough* Bloodsworn *cough splutter* Definitely the Bloodsowrn *cough cough*

That's a rough cough you've got there, brother. Nurgle hasn't gotten his grips on you I hope? *Readies flamer*

In all seriousness, I didn't think anyone even remembered the Bloodsworn except me at this stage, and even my memory is hazy. Buddhist monk Blood Angels if memory serves.

Maybe one day. But enough about my stuff and my own now over-inflated ego.

In regards to the... eh... longship or "Axe Raider" idea, it'd be interesting to see them use the new Impulsor transports in this role, boarding a moving Devilfish or Battlewagon? More for funsies in my head than anything else.

Hmm.

I was picturing them as over-run by orks, or otherwise on inadequate grounds for the Chapter to rebuild from, but it would make sense for at least one or two of them to still be around.

I might have the Stonebound go fleet-based for a century or two, and make it clearer Kagara is the only other planet with suitably hardy recruit stock.

I think that depends on the battles at large. How quickly did the fighting move on from those fortresses? Was it a more fluid conflict or were the orks otherwise drawn away from the fortresses and didn't have the time to do their usual, destructive nonesense? How many of them might have been claimed as petty-fiefdoms for minor ork warbosses?

If some were otherwise abandoned to consolidate resources in more desperate or strategically important locations, would the Orks even bother going there? They head for the fight after all, not to hold territory.

Also, has it really been ten years? Holy catfish batman, I honestly felt like it was yesterday I was re-reading this. I guess that shows just how well these guys have stuck in my subconscious, which is a really good mark in their favor.

That last sentence was a hot mess of random collections of letters resembling words that I had to re-write three times. I think my brain is done for the day.

It is always fun to discuss your work Ace, as you make it fun. It's what keeps me coming back. Other than the great chapter ideas ("axe-raider" crewed by drunken dwarf-marines!), of course, but surely that's a given, right?

At the risk of more over-theming, did you ever have 'slayers' represented in your chapter? I know they're not represented across the entirety of 'dwarfdom', I just had a random thought fly at me regarding the new Primaris Judicator, which is why I mention it. The two may overlap a tad. A chaplain who is so zealous in his pursuit of vengeance, so pure in his will to fulfil the grudges and dispel the dishonor that the chapter has accrued that he has only that cold focus, beyond even his brothers.

It's going to be interesting seeing how you integrate and deal with a lot of the new Primaris fluff as it stands.

In regards to the... eh... longship or "Axe Raider" idea, it'd be interesting to see them use the new Impulsor transports in this role, boarding a moving Devilfish or Battlewagon?

Exchange the Land Raider's front assault ramp for a rooftop hatch (the vehicle will count as open-topped by 7th Edition and Horus Heresy rules, though the damage penalty won't apply, as its vital components are still under armor), and mount a battering ram in the ramp's place- alternatively, replace the hull-mounted twin heavy bolter with a rapid-fire battle cannon, and mount a ramp atop the barrel so the weapon may also serve as a corvus with which passengers may board enemy vehicles...

Yes, I support that idea.

At the risk of more over-theming, did you ever have 'slayers' represented in your chapter? I know they're not represented across the entirety of 'dwarfdom', I just had a random thought fly at me regarding the new Primaris Judicator, which is why I mention it. The two may overlap a tad. A chaplain who is so zealous in his pursuit of vengeance, so pure in his will to fulfil the grudges and dispel the dishonor that the chapter has accrued that he has only that cold focus, beyond even his brothers.

Excellent idea! In place of styling the Judiciar-turned-Slayer's hair into a mohawk, have him mount a mohawk-shaped auspex array atop his helmet, so he may find his chosen prey no matter where the cravens run to or hide.

Suggested name for the Necron Dynasty that An'Zagurd is allied to: "Mairon", after this guy's original name.

I like how you think, but I did already do some Sauron-inspired Dark Mechanicus stuff in the Liber Cluster.

Besides, my Necron will probably be my next project - I've already painted some warriors/scarabs up, and they don't fit the Sauron theme at all. :laugh.:

Apologies, I did not mean to offend. Hell my wife is a store manager and I've worked retail for a good nine years now, with about 9 to 10 in hospitality before that. I think I'm over customer service, not necessarily working with people.

Otherwise I think I'd be happy enough as a hermit to be totally honest.

There wasn't any offence taken, that was meant in jest. :happy.:

I find retail work weirdly satisfying, in spite of the fact I am easily the most actively asocial person I know.  :ermm:

But this is decidedly off-topic, so - back to the Space Marines.

In all seriousness, I didn't think anyone even remembered the Bloodsworn except me at this stage, and even my memory is hazy. Buddhist monk Blood Angels if memory serves.

Heck yeah.

Mostly what I remember was how the Chapter used martial arts for both combat and meditation.

That and they had looked awesome because they had fancy sashes.

I think that depends on the battles at large. How quickly did the fighting move on from those fortresses? Was it a more fluid conflict or were the orks otherwise drawn away from the fortresses and didn't have the time to do their usual, destructive nonesense? How many of them might have been claimed as petty-fiefdoms for minor ork warbosses?

If some were otherwise abandoned to consolidate resources in more desperate or strategically important locations, would the Orks even bother going there? They head for the fight after all, not to hold territory.

To my mind the rallying call for the orks was basically "We wants our stuff back", so they attacked a few of the outposts on principle and killed anyone in or around them. Whether or not they stuck around to loot the places... well, that's one of the reasons the Stonebound keep trying to take everywhere back.

I'll try and add some of that into the IA. 

Also, has it really been ten years? Holy catfish batman, I honestly felt like it was yesterday I was re-reading this. I guess that shows just how well these guys have stuck in my subconscious, which is a really good mark in their favor.

[Grows Increasingly Old in Dwarvish]

It is always fun to discuss your work Ace, as you make it fun. It's what keeps me coming back. Other than the great chapter ideas ("axe-raider" crewed by drunken dwarf-marines!), of course, but surely that's a given, right?

I mean, if you can't have fun in your hobby then you're probably not hobby-ing right. :laugh.:

Or you're an Imperial Fist looking for a weirdly specific mental-Pain-Glove-equivalent, but that's less likely. 

Exchange the Land Raider's front assault ramp for a rooftop hatch (the vehicle will count as open-topped by 7th Edition and Horus Heresy rules, though the damage penalty won't apply, as its vital components are still under armor), and mount a battering ram in the ramp's place- alternatively, replace the hull-mounted twin heavy bolter with a rapid-fire battle cannon, and mount a ramp atop the barrel so the weapon may also serve as a corvus with which passengers may board enemy vehicles...

Yes, I support that idea.

I had a feeling the mythical Axe Raider would fire up your imagination. :laugh.:

Excellent idea! In place of styling the Judiciar-turned-Slayer's hair into a mohawk, have him mount a mohawk-shaped auspex array atop his helmet, so he may find his chosen prey no matter where the cravens run to or hide.

I don't dislike Slayers (apart from the mohawks, just not my thing), but do either of you remember Kelborn's Ashen Blades? They used Slayers (and the AoS version) for one of their inspirations, so I'd prefer to steer clear.

There's got to be room for a few flavours of Dwarf-inspired Chapter in the galaxy, after all! :happy.:

Edited by Ace Debonair

I don't dislike Slayers (apart from the mohawks, just not my thing), but do either of you remember Kelborn's Ashen Blades? They used Slayers (and the AoS version) for one of their inspirations, so I'd prefer to steer clear.

I didn't, but now I do and keeping things distinct from one another, I think that's a fair proposal.

That said, do you have any 'vision' for the newer Primaris units and lines and how they are integrated? I know it's kind of asking to see what's in the wrapped present beneath the tree before the fat-man has officially visited, but given how the newer Primaris stuff has gone from 'hard-sci-fi' back into 'gothic sci-fi' that we prefer, it makes it interesting to envision what you're going to do with them.

Bladeguard and Veterans fit in easily enough, as do Heavy Intercessors, Aggressors (especially Aggressors) and Hellblasters, but what about Inceptors, Reivers and the assorted Vanguard units? Do they fit not at all or do you have a plan?

It seems a bit model specific for my usual questioning but it's kind of fluff related. The fluff that exists inside my own head, where I can imagine battles and character-driven engagements and what that would look like.

I mean, if you can't have fun in your hobby then you're probably not hobby-ing right

Almost always, yes. But the last time I did a 5k run, I can't say I had fun there, more willing myself to go faster so it could be over quicker.

That and they had looked awesome because they had fancy sashes.

Sashes! You must have an eye for fabulous marines. I'll have a think and see if I can find what hot-garbage I wrote back in the day and repurpose it to something slightly less offensive to thine eyes.

Have you thought about writing up a brief index article on the sector itself? It might serve as a bible or otherwise have a more extensive grounding for anyone wanting to know more about where the Stonebound fight and why. Perhaps a couple of colourful Ork Warbosses and other nemesis characters could be presented there as well.

That said, do you have any 'vision' for the newer Primaris units and lines and how they are integrated? I know it's kind of asking to see what's in the wrapped present beneath the tree before the fat-man has officially visited, but given how the newer Primaris stuff has gone from 'hard-sci-fi' back into 'gothic sci-fi' that we prefer, it makes it interesting to envision what you're going to do with them.

Yes. it's actually been in the IA for a couple of days. :wink:

So it's more "forgetting that it's already December 26th", to continue your metaphor. :laugh.:

Bladeguard and Veterans fit in easily enough, as do Heavy Intercessors, Aggressors (especially Aggressors) and Hellblasters, but what about Inceptors, Reivers and the assorted Vanguard units? Do they fit not at all or do you have a plan?

There's two key points to make here.

First, all of my Chapters will have Reivers, because they are amongst the coolest looking space marines.

Shame about the rules (Every fancy bit of gear the Chapter can throw at them except weapons? Whose dumb idea was that?) but I care a lot more for rule of cool, and Reiver strike teams tick a lot of my boxes.

Secondly, I'm going to try and focus on different units for the different Chapters I'm working on. The Stonebound assuredly have all the toys, but it'll be (as a  rough example) the White Hawks and Silver Suns that focus on Bladeguard, Assault Intercessors and Outriders, whereas the Brotherhood of Crows, Warminds and Champions of Athlum are going to use a lot more of the Vanguard stuff.

The Stonebound for their part are all about the tanks, turrets and extra heavy infantry - although I forgot completely about the Aggressors and Eradicators, and I'll need to add them in.

It seems a bit model specific for my usual questioning but it's kind of fluff related. The fluff that exists inside my own head, where I can imagine battles and character-driven engagements and what that would look like.

It's a fine question - it helps to have the specifics planned, even if they don't make it into the IA in so much detail.

I think the words "Gravis for days" would be the best soundbyte summary. :tongue.:

Almost always, yes. But the last time I did a 5k run, I can't say I had fun there, more willing myself to go faster so it could be over quicker.

Running is a fine hobby, to be fair. But I meant The Hobby, and I think you knew that. :laugh.:

Sashes! You must have an eye for fabulous marines. I'll have a think and see if I can find what hot-garbage glory I wrote back in the day and repurpose it to something slightly less offensive more resplendent to thine eyes.

I believe the term is "fixed that for you".:tongue.: 

Have you thought about writing up a brief index article on the sector itself? It might serve as a bible or otherwise have a more extensive grounding for anyone wanting to know more about where the Stonebound fight and why. Perhaps a couple of colourful Ork Warbosses and other nemesis characters could be presented there as well.

I have considered doing exactly this for almost three years.

The problem is that I haven't fleshed everything out properly yet, even in my own head. :ermm:

There's two Eldar factions that don't even have colours yet, at least another four badly underdeveloped Chaos Warbands besides the Hatecrowned, Hollow Knights and Blades of Atracia (the last of whom are the Big Bads running the Rifts, I am already working on an IT for them), I haven't done any work on the Silver Suns, Brotherhood of Crows or Champions of Athlum beyond divining what themes were wanted for the Chapters from my relatives, two warring Necron Dynasties (my own and my nephew's) that don't have names yet, and orks by the trukk load in at least two different parts of the Rifts. Oh, and my hive fleet, Goliandr, with possibly another one on the way because some of my family are impressed with my bugs.

By contrast, I've fleshed out (more or less) the Warminds, Stonebound, and White Hawks Chapters, the Kabal of the Shattered World, and the Order of the Iron Tower.

That's actually more progress than I thought I'd made, but there is a long, long way to go yet. And the more new stuff that gets added, the more I have to go back and change things. For example, the Warminds and the White Hawks will need their combat doctrines tweaking a little (hellooooo Assault Intercessors / Hammerfall Bunkers)

I think everything aside from the remaining three Chapters of space marines and the Blades of Atracia (the main baddies) will get shorter articles, if only for the sake of my sanity!

I suppose a summary thread might be quite useful, but I've got plenty of work to do before I can really write one up!

That is hopefully a good summary of the summary, at least! :laugh.:

Running is a fine hobby, to be fair. But I meant The Hobby, and I think you knew that. :laugh.:

Oh running isn't my hobby. Slowly beating my body into being fit and capable (beating because it resists, a lot), that's my hobby. But yes, I was being a mite subversive.

Yes. it's actually been in the IA for a couple of days. :wink:

I can remember a person, physical description etc, but never their name.

Anyway, "whoops!" is what I should say, before begin a self-indulgent rant into the middle of next week, as I'm prone to do, that I just deleted. :sweat:

I think the words "Gravis for days" would be the best soundbyte summary. :tongue.:

Thick with three c's? I think that's what my fellow hip kids are saying these days.

Am I "old"?

I have considered doing exactly this for almost three years.

The problem is that I haven't fleshed everything out properly yet, even in my own head. :ermm:

There's two Eldar factions that don't even have colours yet, at least another four badly underdeveloped Chaos Warbands besides the Hatecrowned, Hollow Knights and Blades of Atracia (the last of whom are the Big Bads running the Rifts, I am already working on an IT for them), I haven't done any work on the Silver Suns, Brotherhood of Crows or Champions of Athlum beyond divining what themes were wanted for the Chapters from my relatives, two warring Necron Dynasties (my own and my nephew's) that don't have names yet, and orks by the trukk load in at least two different parts of the Rifts. Oh, and my hive fleet, Goliandr, with possibly another one on the way because some of my family are impressed with my bugs.

By contrast, I've fleshed out (more or less) the Warminds, Stonebound, and White Hawks Chapters, the Kabal of the Shattered World, and the Order of the Iron Tower.

That's actually more progress than I thought I'd made, but there is a long, long way to go yet. And the more new stuff that gets added, the more I have to go back and change things. For example, the Warminds and the White Hawks will need their combat doctrines tweaking a little (hellooooo Assault Intercessors / Hammerfall Bunkers)

I think everything aside from the remaining three Chapters of space marines and the Blades of Atracia (the main baddies) will get shorter articles, if only for the sake of my sanity!

I suppose a summary thread might be quite useful, but I've got plenty of work to do before I can really write one up!

That is hopefully a good summary of the summary, at least! :laugh.:

That's got some depth even as a surface level outline. I suggested it as there have been a couple of times I've been more describing an entire region with a chapter IA, rather than the other way around, and I should have laid my thoughts out earlier.

I love how your family is getting in on it, that's fantastic. No one I know is into 40k pretty much at all, but it is what it is. At least I've got the B&C!

You're almost at a stage that you could run your own campaigns. I could see the Forlorn Hope from my (ACE) Holy Roman/Teutonic inspired chapter would hear of the 'treasure' of the region and descend like some other un-named magpies. :teehee:

But I digress, it's a great region you've got cooking in the old 'slow cooker' there.

First, all of my Chapters will have Reivers, because they are amongst the coolest looking space marines.

Since all of your chapters are going to use Skeletor Batman Reivers, how do the Stonebound use them? I did actually go back and read what you've put, but didn't see any Reivers mentioned, unless I missed it. I'm just curious is all.

Thick with three c's? I think that's what my fellow hip kids are saying these days.

Am I "old"?

Dwarves prefer the word "sturdy", but I don't know how to fit three c's into that. :laugh.:

You didn't give yourself the name "Blood Claw Ydalir", so I suppose it's possible. :tongue.:

That's got some depth even as a surface level outline. I suggested it as there have been a couple of times I've been more describing an entire region with a chapter IA, rather than the other way around, and I should have laid my thoughts out earlier.

I love how your family is getting in on it, that's fantastic. No one I know is into 40k pretty much at all, but it is what it is. At least I've got the B&C!

I mean, they do leave me to do all the writing, but at least I have someone to play against. :laugh.:

You're almost at a stage that you could run your own campaigns. I could see the Forlorn Hope from my (ACE) Holy Roman/Teutonic inspired chapter would hear of the 'treasure' of the region and descend like some other un-named magpies. :teehee:

That's pretty much the point of the Glastheim Rifts, basically.

In-universe justification of fighting anything, up to and including my old Space Crusade models.

But I digress, it's a great region you've got cooking in the old 'slow cooker' there.

It's complicated enough to be something of mine, that's for sure. :laugh.:

Since all of your chapters are going to use Skeletor Batman Reivers, how do the Stonebound use them? I did actually go back and read what you've put, but didn't see any Reivers mentioned, unless I missed it. I'm just curious is all.

They use them in the same way most Chapters do, maybe with more axes here and there.

Remember how I said I was focusing on the heavy stuff for the Stonebound? :wink:

It's going to get real old, real quick if I write about Reivers in every Chapter of the Silver Circle. :ermm:

As of tomorrow I'm on night shifts for a few weeks - they tend to really screw up my free time, so I'm not likely to get much writing time for a little while.

Still, the Stonebound are nothing if not enduring. They've waited this long, what's another few weeks?