Zoanthropes: How many is too many?

Aothaine

Forgive me if the rules have changed. I don't have access to a Tyranid dex right at this moment. But, can you potentially have 18 Zoanthropes on the field in competitive play? If you can, how would you build an army around 18 Zoanthropes?

The smite rebalance makes Zoanthrope spam pretty pointless, one unit of 6 and a Neurothrope is the most effective set up.

But 6 Zoanthropes cost more than a Hive Tyrant so there's not much reason to spam them and spamming both at the same time is silly again tanks to psyker spam being not that great with Tyranids so that's why you see lots of Tyrants and not many Zoanthropes.

In narrative play with the different psychic rules then 18 Zoanthropes and a Neurothrope would be pretty nasty.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

The smite rebalance makes Zoanthrope spam pretty pointless, one unit of 6 and a Neurothrope is the most effective set up.

But 6 Zoanthropes cost more than a Hive Tyrant so there's not much reason to spam them and spamming both at the same time is silly again tanks to psyker spam being not that great with Tyranids so that's why you see lots of Tyrants and not many Zoanthropes.

In narrative play with the different psychic rules then 18 Zoanthropes and a Neurothrope would be pretty nasty.

Is the +1 to cast smite really that bad? Also, there are a bunch of other psychic powers you could cast as well. But I concede to your point in that you might as well just take another Hive Tyrant. Just think it would be cool to have an army of brain bugs, which are pretty resilient with their 3++ and 3W a model. I was thinking about how they might fit into an army build around Tyranid Warriors.

So, rocking 18 Zoanthropes and 3 Neurothropes is too much then?

+1 to smite casting value isn't bad if you're only doing 3, if you're taking a neurothope, a Hive Tyrant and a unit of Zoanthropes that's 3.

Zoanthropes only know one power other than smite. Units of 4-6 can cast two powers and boost the damage on smite so other powers are really irrelevant.

The Hive Tyrant is actually the only tyranid that gets to know more than one power, this really hamstrings non HT psykers, especially the Neurothrope and Maleceptor which have two base casts while only getting to choose one extra power (probably hurts tervigons too but I've never used one).

+1 to smite casting value isn't bad if you're only doing 3, if you're taking a neurothope, a Hive Tyrant and a unit of Zoanthropes that's 3.

Zoanthropes only know one power other than smite. Units of 4-6 can cast two powers and boost the damage on smite so other powers are really irrelevant.

The Hive Tyrant is actually the only tyranid that gets to know more than one power, this really hamstrings non HT psykers, especially the Neurothrope and Maleceptor which have two base casts while only getting to choose one extra power (probably hurts tervigons too but I've never used one).

So why wouldn't you just run three units of Zoanthropes for the big daddy smites, 1-2 Neurothropes to give them rerolls and cast buffs, then have a blender tyrant that buffs itself? You can even try and cast that 4th--7th smite with the Neurothropes and Swarmlord later if you wanted. Or maybe just run with 1 Neuro and grab that -1 to hit aura bug, is there also a fleet that makes them harder to hit as well?

I imagine this is a huge point sink as well and the powers can be denied, fail and perils right? Sorry for all the questions btw. But I do really appreciate your advice and opinions! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Cross posting from BOLS, but running three units of Zoans with the Neruo to back them up can work for sure. A guy in my local meta runs them and did quite well at the LVO with the list. 

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2020/03/warhammer-40k-the-top-tyranids-of-lvo.html

You have to be smart with the positioning but that's not anything different from most armies. Denies can hurt for sure, and the +1 to smites does too but with careful positioning and the right threats in the rest of the list it can be quite useful. 

The limit in 2K matched play is 3 of the same unit/datasheet.

So you can have 18 Zoanthropes (3 units of 6 models) and 3 Neurothropes.

No it is not. The "Rule of Three" (hate that name) is not a rule. It is a suggestion for organized play like tournaments. Please do not make it sound like it is an ironclade rule and alwasy part of matched play.

The limit in 2K matched play is 3 of the same unit/datasheet.

So you can have 18 Zoanthropes (3 units of 6 models) and 3 Neurothropes.

No it is not. The "Rule of Three" (hate that name) is not a rule. It is a suggestion for organized play like tournaments. Please do not make it sound like it is an ironclade rule and alwasy part of matched play.

You're right. My bad.