Space Wolves list in the meta

Harald Fairmane

The threat of HI will impact how an opponent plays. Our chapter tactic is for the +1 to hit for those hammers on the charge. He does utilize Wolf specific stuff though. The rune priest powers and strat were useful for him. Wulfen stone is solid. And he probably used the stratagem to get armor of Russ. Saga of beast slayer on the warlord is important too. If the lord takes down a vehicle or monster that aura is so useful in this meta.

What differentiates armies these days are relics and strats. The chapter tactics really don’t make the difference anymore.

His list proves primaris can work in our lists.

Yea our stuff can be good, but my point just was I really don't think a (pick a flavor) C:SM book would wield this with that much less effect.

Reply From seekingasaga:

This list only works as SW. the impulsor castle as wolves presents a very unique issue to opponents and the reason I don’t ‘want to’ actually HI outside of the castle is because I’d the thing I touch doesn’t die with me fighting once. I gotta spend 3cp to fight again. If it still lives. My entire castle is slowed down.

I will if I have to but I’d rather people just don’t come at me. The other player doesn’t want to toss stuff at me because I can do this to him.

The AoR is why this list works. The Wulfen stone is what takes it up a notch.

Cloaked by the storm is what allows me to survive. Tempest wrath keeps me going vs one big target.

Fury of the wolf spirit allows me to chew through hordes.

The +1 to hit on charge is literally game changing. The chapter tactic is life or death.

This list does what it does because of the SW book.

I'm curious how his list gets slowed down when everything can fly and leave combat at will.

I get his HQ wont be able to charge but they can still jump and relocate to give an aura and be ready for a HI on his opponents turn right?

You could fix that with a custom chapter taking the 6" HI trait as well as withdraw and charge trait

He wouldn't be pure wolf anymore but a combination of SW battalion and custom SM battalion seems like it patches one of his main concerns

Love reading his breakdowns so I think there is something I am simply missing unless it was simply pure wolf no other options

Reply From seekingasaga:

This list only works as SW. the impulsor castle as wolves presents a very unique issue to opponents

Sorry for being a bit slow but what is it specifically about SWs that makes this list work better than IHs (since they seem to top the meta at the moment).

SWs have some nice abilities for a moving castle (Cloaked by the storm being an obvious one) and AoR for a Smash Lord is good but is it really better than what other Chapters bring? I am not arguing, going 5-1 speaks for itself. I just feel that I am missing something about why this list needs to be SW.

Edited by Karhedron

I think what makes this list good, and good for any marine faction. The impulsor with shield dome. A 4+ invuln and 11 wounds is incredibly tough, especially when you consider it's only like 100~ pts. It's either too cheap, or other machine vehicles need a pt decrease or a optional 4or5+ invuln option

I think what makes this list good, and good for any marine faction. The impulsor with shield dome. A 4+ invuln and 11 wounds is incredibly tough, especially when you consider it's only like 100~ pts. It's either too cheap, or other machine vehicles need a pt decrease or a optional 4or5+ invuln option

This is exactly what he said! Honestly, I don't know why this hasn't been done sooner, Impulsors are really tough and as you said, having the wargear for a 4+ invuln makes it highly survivable as a multipurpose small firebase, screen, and tie up unit.  Definitely going to be taking some inspiration from his list. I have a feeling Geedubs might notice this if it takes off in alternate lists. Could be a similar nerf like the Blizzard Shield

His use of Blood Claws as engineers in interesting though, Usually you would tank wounds through a terminator on a squad of Grey Hunters, but he likes the versatility of one additional attack. He has a really interesting approach on how to play Wolves in competitive without the same "cheat codes" (what he calls them) as every other faction.

I like Impulsors but I think alot of why they seem so good is that classic transports have been lackluster this entire edition. I also think their popularity will be tied to how good the "assault" chapters are.

I can't see a shooting based chapter getting enough value from them. Take IH in a 2000 pt game 800-900 points are going to be detachment tax units to get CP. After that they prioritize thunder fire cannons, flyers, and dreads. What reason would they have to cut the fire power in half to play against type and try for an assault based board control strategy. It's just easier to shoot your opponent off the table.

I think the main reason the list only works with wolves is we have a low opportunity cost in taking the impulsors and with minimal invest will better in assault then most marine lists you'll face.

Reply From seekingasaga:

This list only works as SW. the impulsor castle as wolves presents a very unique issue to opponents

Sorry for being a bit slow but what is it specifically about SWs that makes this list work better than IHs (since they seem to top the meta at the moment).

SWs have some nice abilities for a moving castle (Cloaked by the storm being an obvious one) and AoR for a Smash Lord is good but is it really better than what other Chapters bring? I am not arguing, going 5-1 speaks for itself. I just feel that I am missing something about why this list needs to be SW.

It doesn't unfortunatley, its just the first time in the ITC scene that someone has done exceptionally well with Pure Wolves. This list lost against the current Iron Hands meta (IH successor).

Thinking on it a bit more, the impulsor is the tankiest marine transport. Besides the mastadon.

I'm really trying to find a way to put stormwolfs/fangs in my list, but I can't justify it atm, they are pricey and do kinda ok at everything which means they aren't good at much anything besides being targeted down turn 1.

And now I see it easier to make a list including impulsors over ever other marine vehicle, due to there survivability

Edited by Triszin

New ITC rules make flyers more viable

Deploy all and no more seize create known table situations

If you go first you are flying and hitting a target or getting out of LOS

If you go second you deploy know where enemy anti tank is and try to avoid it

• 2 weeks later...

Hide it turn one then fly it to within 6' of Njal/Runepriest, make it -2 to hit

then pop the strat to make it -3, it was his breadwinning strategem

EDIT: didnt read all the way down and saw someone said the same thing. Disregard this.

Edited by Watcher

EDIT: didnt read all the way down and saw someone said the same thing. Disregard this.

You cant make it more than -2 base defense

Hard to hit flyers rule (-1)

Cloaked by the storm stratagem (-1)

You have to cast tempest wrath on a specific target (like a knight castellan) to make that specific target -3 total

Edited by TiguriusX

You have to cast tempest wrath on a specific target (like a knight castellan) to make that specific target -3 total

The Hard to Hit applies -1, plus Tempests Wrath = enables Cloaked by the Storm Strat. which equals -3. The RP just needs to stay within the range of said unit(s) until the next Psychic phase (CbtS & Tempest). Why would you be unable to make it -3 in this scenario? 

I have a feeling we are on the same page, but in case I missed some pink writing in an FAQ I figured it better to ask.

Edited by Watcher

The Hard to Hit applies -1, plus Tempests Wrath = enables Cloaked by the Storm Strat. which equals -3. The RP just needs to stay within the range of said unit(s) until the next Psychic phase (CbtS & Tempest). Why would you be unable to make it -3 in this scenario?

I have a feeling we are on the same page, but in case I missed some pink writing in an FAQ I figured it better to ask.

Tempest wrath only impacts a single target.

So everything else shooting at your flyer is only -2

People not familiar with the nuances may think it is -3 for all attackers

Tempest wrath only impacts a single target.

So everything else shooting at your flyer is only -2

People not familiar with the nuances may think it is -3 for all attackers

That is correct, same rules as Aversion for DA. I should have explained better. I was continuing the discussion of "firepower in one model", we are indeed on the same page.