Where are all the Space Wolf Primaris Successor Chapters?

Karthak

Been wondering about this for a while. Sure, there's the Wolfspear and mention that other Primaris with Sixth Legion geneseed went to Fenris to join the Space Wolves, but that can't be all of them, given how many Primaris Cawl made. Sure, a lot of them are of Ultramarines gene-stock, but we know he made plenty from the other gene-lines. For example, he made tens of thousands of Primaris Blood Angels, and that Legion's genetic curses are at least as bad as that of the Space Wolves'.

And if GW tries some nonsense like "oh the Wolfspear are the only Successor" then I'm going to call bull:cuss.

Been wondering about this for a while. Sure, there's the Wolfspear and mention that other Primaris with Sixth Legion geneseed went to Fenris to join the Space Wolves, but that can't be all of them, given how many Primaris Cawl made. Sure, a lot of them are of Ultramarines gene-stock, but we know he made plenty from the other gene-lines. For example, he made tens of thousands of Primaris Blood Angels, and that Legion's genetic curses are at least as bad as that of the Space Wolves'.

And if GW tries some nonsense like "oh the Wolfspear are the only Successor" then I'm going to call bull:cuss.

Goid question, maybe we will se some of them in their PA book.

What is this font even?

I think the Primaris Wolves Successors should exist outside Wolfspear, but I also don't think that there's any info yet.

Or he (Cawl) might have quarantined the primaris to stabilise their geneseed. Makes sense, especially if you consider that the primaris are supposed to be closer to their primarch then the firstborn. 

Edited by Knight-Master Skywrath

I believe the Wolfspears are the first successor chapter they have had since the Wolf Brothers. If i remember correctly they were only introduced in Dark Imperium and no other sources. Guy Haley only ever referenced this one chapter/segment of Wolves and no others (as they are his creation, not directly Geedub's). Theses guy literally only exist outside of the book due to a hobby group called "Blades of Greymane" that created the chapter emblem and scheme (which impressed Guy Haley so much he made it canon for his book and creation). 

Aside from this, Geedubs doesn't mention any other Space Wolves Primaris Chapters and there isn't any information why. Could be simply because not many other authors care for the Space Wolves and therefore aren't creating lore for any in their novels.

Edited by Watcher

As a space wolves player who personally hates the idea that Cawl could casually “fix” the space wolves where the Emperor of mankind could not, and as one who always loved the unique aspect of being the only chapter with no successors only to have that unique quality taken away, I may be alone when I say this, but I hope the Wolf Spear is written in a future book to fail even more catastrophically than the Wolf Brothers and that we learn that only Primaris taken from the people of Fenris are able to control the beast within.

I may very well be that curmudgeon standing in his porch, shaking his cane at the kids, yelling “you gosh darn kids get off of my lore!!!” But if I must be that lonely old curmudgeon, then so be it.

As a space wolves player who personally hates the idea that Cawl could casually “fix” the space wolves where the Emperor of mankind could not, 

Is there evidence that he tried and failed?

The entire concept of successor chapters is post-heresy. 

Plus, weren't the Wolves themselves were on the verge of doing it until Magnus stomped their labs?

Edited by Shinespider

As a space wolves player who personally hates the idea that Cawl could casually “fix” the space wolves where the Emperor of mankind could not, and as one who always loved the unique aspect of being the only chapter with no successors only to have that unique quality taken away, I may be alone when I say this, but I hope the Wolf Spear is written in a future book to fail even more catastrophically than the Wolf Brothers and that we learn that only Primaris taken from the people of Fenris are able to control the beast within.

I may very well be that curmudgeon standing in his porch, shaking his cane at the kids, yelling “you gosh darn kids get off of my lore!!!” But if I must be that lonely old curmudgeon, then so be it.

What did cawl fix though? The primaris still become wulfen, just less so as he brought their geneseed back to post-heresy strength. He also refuses to remove the canis helix. He actually refuses Guilliman orders because he says it was what the emperor wanted.

So the wolfspear may fail, however GW did say they wanted opportunity for all players to design their own chapters from all the Primarchs. This is their way of doing so. They have opened the doors for people to write their own saga's without interfering with the core SW lore. I know most don't care about that, but for those that do this is a very fresh breath of air. Instead of being forced into a scenario, you have freedom of saying "my chapter was not at that battle".

Also we aren't the only ones with no successors, Salamanders have no official successors only suspected.

Much like the Dark Angels, what would a Successor Chapter of Space Wolves even look like? How would it differ from the Sons of Fenris?

The DA Successors thing is stupid, because what has always been said of them is “The Unforgiven all fight like the Dark Angels.” That said, there’s no reason to even include Successor rules in the Codex, they simply fight using Dark Angels rules. I like to think the fact that GW didn’t include any Successor rules for the Space Wolves in the Codex is for that exact reason - Space Wolves Successors would fight exactly like Space Wolves, so just use the Space Wolves rules. They don’t need to write anything extra, because everything you need to represent Space Wolves Successors is already there.

And if you want your force to represent that these new-fangled Primaris Wolf Successors are falling to the Curse of the Wulfen at a prodigious rate, the game rules even let you do that right now!

At least right now, any possible Space Wolf Successor players are in a better state than DA Successor players - there aren’t any dumb rules stating “Successors” to make people lose their minds over due to paint schemes and keyword choices and CP payments - you just play “Successor” Space Wolves exactly like they should be - Space Wolves.

And if you don’t like Successor Wolves, you don’t even have to acknowledge their existence, because they aren’t in the Codex.

I always just felt like that’s what the great companies were for. It was easier though when 40k was more setting than story when it came to DIY.

Yeah, when your Great Company could simply represent an ancient GC or a Lost Company, that was more understandable, but in the current "Here's the known and extent GCs" idea, it's harder to justify, at least as a part of the current set up (if you aren't using Primaris, it's still easier) - something I've wished GW would have said is that the Great Companies are all made up of different companies with their own iconography, or run with the Space Wolves Successors more.

Honestly think the stalling out on telling all the stories on the non-C:SM Successors and even how the Primaris fit into those deviating Chapters is simply not wanting to telegraph the future Primaris types that will be coming. Seems to me like a justifiable speculation, but it would be just another casualty of the time it's taking to get the Primaris line released.

At the end of the day it’s just a game. I’m of the opinion that if you want your great company to run dark angel rules, but the models look like space wolves... have fun. If that thought kills you. Don’t play against that person. Simple enough, yeah? It’s a game to be enjoyed. If you aren’t enjoying it what’s the point?

For me the big thing is the divided universe. I don't want to be on Guillimans side where he is slowly recovering the Imperium, and the wolves are fighting Orks. I'd rather be on the far side dark side of the Imperium fighting off renegade chapter and traitors. I want my wolves to be forced into savagery and ruthless butchers to survive. Where the Light of the Emperor is fluttering and unreliable, whole world's plunged into darkness and where chaos moves freely.

With GW new narrative we know where the GC's are, and what they are doing. It is no longer a setting but a story which is all fine and good, until you reach the unique predicament of the wolves.

Nothing says a great company or even successor chapter can’t be sent somewhere like that. I look at it the same way SOF work in the real world. Sometimes they’re sent to places that contradict their official territorial coverage. With a bureaucracy, like the imperium, being so large there’s bound to be some rogue GC or part of some GC sent off somewhere. Yeah?

Nothing says a great company or even successor chapter can’t be sent somewhere like that. I look at it the same way SOF work in the real world. Sometimes they’re sent to places that contradict their official territorial coverage. With a bureaucracy, like the imperium, being so large there’s bound to be some rogue GC or part of some GC sent off somewhere. Yeah?

If your goal is to play the "official storyline" with your Great Company, then yes, there is something that says that it can't - GW's official storyline.

My guess is that is what Caldersson is alluding to - if GW says that Ragnar is in a running fight for many years leading his GC on Planet Xenon against the Necrons or Orks in the Imperium Sanctus, then it'd be very, very hard to justify a story of your own design where he's in the Imperium Nihilus for a decade fighting the Eldar during the same time period. It'd be like saying "The entirety of Special Operations Command relocated to and is fighting in Afghanistan right now" when we know that SOCOM is stationed in the U.S. - not just teams sent here or there, completely different scale concept.

That is the main reason I generally have no interest in playing GW's creations, and why my Drakeslayers are not the same GC under Krom - especially now that they have changed 40K from setting to story.

I agree, Jukkiz, it's only by GW's stance/writing that they even exist - personally I always thought that the Wolves should have been one of those organizations that should have had Great Companies with a "High" Wolf Lord (or something less cheesy) to "lead" it, but that would have had their own multi-Chapter's worth of Company structures with different Wolf Lords under them, with them moving constantly and keeping the Inquisition at arm's length, never truly showing their numbers to the Imperium at large, similar to the BT.

Then a gathering of a Great Company for a campaign would have been a truly large event, and the calling of the Chapter a massive happening and very bad portent.

My personal Great Company will always be a “lost company” and GW’s writers can jump in a flaming lake if they try to write lost companies out of existence or claim to account for them all.

My marines will always be lagacy marines, even if they’re Primaris sized and using Primaris rules.

In my head canon, any claims that space wolves (Primaris or otherwise) could ever be made from anything but fenrisian stock are all an imperial coverup for Ultramarines wearing space wolves heraldry. And any “air quote” successor chapter recruited from any place but Fenris are actually the sons of Rowboat Girleyman in wolves clothing.

Be fearless in your head canon, because in my 40k? I’m still in charge of my story.