Where are all the Space Wolf Primaris Successor Chapters?

Karthak

More and more ever day I see GW’s “official”storyline as more of a suggestion or one person’s version of events rather than a historically accurate document.

Honestly, I pretty dang sure that it was always intended to be a "historically inaccurate" account of events, but it's the players world-wide on the Net that have clamoured for an "official canon story" and concrete timeline that have shifted thinking toward the concrete storyline concept. I don't think that even GW looks at the current "story" concept as a "concrete, really happening, truthful" thing - IMO they even tried to telegraph this more by dropping any pretense at a previously inaccurate calendar like they previously had.

Pretty hard to imagine the story is historically accurate when you can't even piece together when things are happening in relation to each other except within a specific sector.

More and more ever day I see GW’s “official”storyline as more of a suggestion or one person’s version of events rather than a historically accurate document.

Honestly, I pretty dang sure that it was always intended to be a "historically inaccurate" account of events, but it's the players world-wide on the Net that have clamoured for an "official canon story" and concrete timeline that have shifted thinking toward the concrete storyline concept. I don't think that even GW looks at the current "story" concept as a "concrete, really happening, truthful" thing - IMO they even tried to telegraph this more by dropping any pretense at a previously inaccurate calendar like they previously had.

Pretty hard to imagine the story is historically accurate when you can't even piece together when things are happening in relation to each other except within a specific sector.

Im not even talking about timeline stuff. I’m talking about GW putting actual numbers on how many thunderwolves are in a particular great company, or who fought in what battle, or even who’s dead and who’s alive.

I hold that the claim that Logan sacrificed huge swathes of the Fenrisian populace to the inquisition is actually the imperium’s propaganda pushed in an attempt to save face because in reality he denied them their blood tithe. I believe this because the garbage GW published is 180 degrees counter to Logan’s actions at every other point in time. Argument could be made either way, but to enjoy the game, this is what I choose to believe.

I accept the existence of Cawl, but I deny the claim that Space Wolf Primaris are made from Russ’ gene stock.

To enjoy the game, I find my head canon deviating further and further for “official” canon, and I’m totally ok with it. The more concrete they try and write it the less I like it, so I insert ambiguity and contradiction where I feel it’s needed most.

I think I heard somewhere that all the novel and all the books and all the codecies (plural for codex?) were cannon but not necessarily true. I figure just run with that.

And who says you have to play m42.100 or whenever the “current” timeline is. Could your story line in your champaign be m42.010? Or m42.150? Or m41.999? Think about it. Marines live a long time. Why not make it a decade or two or century or two outside the most recent events. I see no harm in that. Especially given the fudgery with dates and such by G-dubs anyway. Isn’t there debates on exactly the psychic awakening is?

Hell, all my wolves are gonna rock the yellow n black pauldrons of Ragnars GC, but I’m with Nighthowl, I’ll have several different wolf lords running entire company size mini GCs that are akin to Demi companies of other chapters. Only they’re wolves so they’re massive. And I’ll use Ragnar almost like Calgar. It may not be official, but then again, who says I can’t? I just think the G-dub cannon was what the wolves told the high lords their strength was.

I accept the existence of Cawl, but I deny the claim that Space Wolf Primaris are made from Russ’ gene stock.

So your headcanon denies the Wolves making their own Primaris later as well as Ultima Founding Primaris not being from Russ' gene-stock? I'm curious where you stand on later Primaris - which do exist.

I prefer ambiguity to concrete answers on the subject.

Although I’ll play them as counts-as legacy marines, my Great Company will ultimately start to include Primaris “models” more and more as GW ramps up the power level on them and leaves legacy marines to stagnate and eventually be replaced (or become “legends” the most nauseatingly over the top euphemism a corporate entity could choose for taking toys away and trying to make it sound like a good thing). But while I’ll use the models (both because they’re well made and because their rules will make them necessary), I hate the way GW implemented them.

Enter five identical looking corporate suits stage left, “Hello fellow nerds, I have new models to sell you. To bring them to you easily I have to invalidate 40,000 years of amazing lore that originally made you love this game, but marketing assured me you’ll get over it. So here, buy it.”

The legacy marines I grew up loving, the ultra cool grim dark setting, the idea of a technologically advanced dark age of superstition and ignorance, the ambiguity that let me “forge my narrative”, all replaced by a marketing strategy that completely failed to grasp what made the game awesome to me (maybe others didn’t like grim dark, I can only speak for myself). Suddenly there’s a crystal clear explanation for everything. Suddenly there are bigger and better marines so you don’t have to waste your time with those boring old legacy marines any more. Suddenly the imperium is making amazing new technology So the cool stuff is now the newest stuff instead of the cool stuff being archeotech only found on one STC in a space hulk infested with genestealers.

The reason my head canon must be different is because I won’t let what I love about the game be taken away. This will require some of what used to make this game so great IMHO, ambiguity.

My Great Company won’t have any Primaris. It’s a Lost Company. I don’t have to explain why it never needs reinforcements. It always has the same models even after a devastating loss on the tabletop. What time period is it from? Nobody knows. Records have been lost or expunged. They’ve been in the warp for a long time so it’s anyone’s guess. Are the Primaris working with other Great Companies from Fenris? Who knows. You believe what you want and I’ll believe what I want and we can all have fun playing a game in absolute spite of the soulless corporate machine running the show now.

Lets not lose focus on what this post is originally about, Brothers. We are each entitled to our own opinions and we are free (as a few have said above) to lead/make our Companies as we please.

Although, on the topic at hand, what do you all think we'll be receiving for our successor portion soon?

Edited by Watcher

Although, on the topic at hand, what do you all think we'll be receiving for our successor portion soon?

Depends on if they put any more thought into it than they did for the Dark Angels.

If not, we'll get some text about how to use Successors (how to access Doctrines, alternative Warlord Traits [if any], Litanies, access to Special Issue Wargear) and a Strategem to gain access to one SW relic. GW will also forget to provide a way to get a Chapter Master, Chief Librarian, or other members of the highest strata of the Chapter, leaving Successors to play without any of the key leadership a Chapter should have.

If they do put more thought in, we might get a new Character, such as an alternative Chapter Master (similar to BA), maybe even an alternate type of squad, alternative Relic or two, etc. At least we'd get Strategems that already exist to give us the highest echelons of the Chapter.

My guess - Successors will get as much thought as they provided for the DA, namely none - just cut and paste jobs with a few textual edits and nothing to actually let you play as a Chapter.

So your headcanon denies the Wolves making their own Primaris later as well as Ultima Founding Primaris not being from Russ' gene-stock? I'm curious where you stand on later Primaris - which do exist.

The entire Primaris project is a lie. It's been implemented to cover up the use of substantial stores of gene-seed from Terra to boost Marine numbers. This new stock, having been stasis locked for Millennia, is substantially more pure and effective than the stocks still in use by m41. So called 'Primaris' Marines are just what Marines truly were back in the glory days of the Great Crusade. The deception is necessary because the Imperium doesn't want to admit how badly their active gene-lines had degraded over 10,000 years (and Chaos Marines aren't 'pure' either because of millennia marinating in warp stuff).

Not my personal headcannon (which is that everything from Warzone Damocles onwards has been Abby's dying fever dream, as the 13th Crusade is pulverised by Creed and Logan at Cadia :tongue.:). But a fun 'conspiracy' and imo a reasonable option to square the existence of 'Primaris' Marines with the spirit of 40k fluff while not accepting the official version of events.