Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fist of the Imperium

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,135 posts
I've been looking forward to a 40k Imperial Fist book for a long time, one with primaris marines especially so. I'm now about half way through Fist of the Imperium and I can't say I'm overly enjoying it. So far I've not found any of the characters particularly interesting or even competent with the Fists kind of bumbling along and blundering into every obvious trap going. There was an attempt to make a bit of tension in the Fists by having one character disagree with the librarian but said character was so unlikable and one dimensional that the scene felt forced to me.

Anyone else giving this a read and how are you finding it? I'm kind of hoping it suddenly picks up in the second half but it seems unlikely. I can't remember having read anything by the author before but I did hear that Gloomspite was well received.

rookie40K

rookie40K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 109 posts
I’m listening to it on audible. Judging by book Primaris and regular marines seem to have no discipline and have no control over their emotions, which is not very Imperial Fist like. It’s hard to listen to the constant overbearing behavior by both types of marines. Primaris don’t come across as very competent.

Knockagh

Knockagh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 938 posts
Gloomspite is a great read, Celestine was atrocious. I’ve heard his Knight books are supposed to be good but haven’t read them myself.
The synopsis on BL and your thoughts make this sound like a typical space marine shelf filler BL seem to be obligated to churn one of these out every so often for no particular reason, they must sell well.

caladancid

caladancid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 637 posts
The GSC parts are excellent

The marines of all variety seem like they are written for 10 yr olds. It is pretty bad.

Xisor

Xisor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,118 posts

Gloomspite is a great read, Celestine was atrocious. I’ve heard his Knight books are supposed to be good but haven’t read them myself.
The synopsis on BL and your thoughts make this sound like a typical space marine shelf filler BL seem to be obligated to churn one of these out every so often for no particular reason, they must sell well.

I didn't care for Shroud of Night, myself. The Mechanicus in it were interesting, but it also had the "Marines throwing their weight around, recklessly" problem.

Which isn't a problem, per se. In matters not-Battle related, sure they can be inefficient, suboptimal fools.

But blundering into traps should be difficult for them, and it'd be interesting to see it explored.

It doesn't generate tension for me if I find myself spending my time questioning the author's choices rather than being pulled in by the character's.

It'd be like reading about a world class chef whose tension and plot arises from the fact they keep messing up their orders, and being outwitted by the fairly normal culinary desires of their customers.

"He wanted a steak well done, but I gave him steak tartar, and the fiend only went and shut down my McDonald's because a Bacon Double Cheeseburger shouldn't be served basically raw.

"Fools, what do health inspectors know? I am Sheffield Cook, the world's greatest chef, and the day after I was fired would be my toughest day at work yet... "
  • Lord_Caerolion, Knockagh, DarkChaplain and 3 others like this

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,402 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

I haven't read this one yet, but the premise looks interesting. Too bad most are finding it disappointingsad.png It did get 4.6 stars on Geedreads, so a few people liked it.

Some authors write Space Marines better than others. How did you find his interpretation? From what I'm reading here, Clark's Marines are either lazily written, or he just doesn't get them...… I've seen both...….. or, if you did like it, I'd like to hear why as well. Thoughts? 

Edited by Brother Lunkhead, 13 February 2020 - 11:12 PM.

gallery_26154_15777_13780.png

caladancid

caladancid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 637 posts

I haven't read this one yet, but the premise looks interesting. Too bad most are finding it disappointingsad.png It did get 4.6 stars on Geedreads, so a few people liked it.

Some authors write Space Marines better than others. How did you find his interpretation? From what I'm reading here, Clark's Marines are either lazily written, or he just doesn't get them...… I've seen both...….. or, if you did like it, I'd like to hear why as well. Thoughts? 

I am not sure why it was so bad.  I thought the chaos marines in Shroud of Night were totally fine.  Not amazing, but not bad by any means.  Maybe he is just better at writing 'normal' humans because the chaos marines definitely had personalities.  I also liked the Knight novels he has written.  So I don't think lazy is the right term.

But I literally almost deleted this book from my Kindle very early on when the marines began speaking to each other, it was that bad.  Saved, like I said, by the GSC scenes.

• Xisor likes this

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,279 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

Clark not continuing the story of Luk and Danial is Clark that's mediocre at best. Chain him to his Knights fiction and don't let him get to anything else.

Edited by Apothecary Vaddon, 14 February 2020 - 03:27 AM.

theSpirea

theSpirea

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 104 posts

I'm not surprised to hear the book is not what people expected. I've read a few Clark's novels and all were disappointing. Starting the atrocious Celestine novel, over to ridiculously predictable and wanna-be Hollywood-like style Knight series. Shroud of Night was a little bit better but I would still rate it "your average SM" novel. Haven't read Gloomspite yet, that one is getting praised everywhere.

IMy backlog is so huge at this point, I don't think I'm going to read this one any time soon.

• Xisor, DarKnight and Shinros like this

JH79

JH79

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 369 posts
  • Faction: Wardens of Darkness

"He wanted a steak well done, but I gave him steak tartar, and the fiend only went and shut down my McDonald's because a Bacon Double Cheeseburger shouldn't be served basically raw.

"Fools, what do health inspectors know? I am Sheffield Cook, the world's greatest chef, and the day after I was fired would be my toughest day at work yet... "

Genius... i need to hear more! In fact, with a few tweaks here and a few nudges there you could have the premise for a 40k underhive story following the downward spiral into insanity of the one character we never really hear much from, but to whom everyone looks when the clock strikes 12... the cook!!! happy.png

• Xisor likes this

rookie40K

rookie40K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 109 posts
Finished listening to it today. Last few chapters were much better. Ending was enjoyable.

Shinros

Shinros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 181 posts
  • Faction: Genestealer cults & Slaanesh

I am not sure why it was so bad.  I thought the chaos marines in Shroud of Night were totally fine.  Not amazing, but not bad by any means.  Maybe he is just better at writing 'normal' humans because the chaos marines definitely had personalities.  I also liked the Knight novels he has written.  So I don't think lazy is the right term.

But I literally almost deleted this book from my Kindle very early on when the marines began speaking to each other, it was that bad.  Saved, like I said, by the GSC scenes.

Hmm, considering I'm reading Gloomspite at the moment I'm kinda surprised he's written bad books. Maybe he is just better at writing AOS? Considering you gave your stamp of approval on the GSC I think I might pick the book up. 

Shinros

Shinros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 181 posts
  • Faction: Genestealer cults & Slaanesh

So... I read the book, bog standard space marine novel basically. The GSC parts were somewhat interesting but at the end specifically I don't think Andy Clark understood how GSC actually worked. Especially when it comes to how Magus' work, one thing I do like is that the wider imperium don't actually know how to deal with an infestation properly. 

To discuss the ending further? 

Spoiler

If people want a better GSC novel that is far more accurate read Cult of the Spiral dawn. In the end it's kinda weird considering Gloomspite is far more better and then he puts out something like...this. 

Edited by Shinros, 18 February 2020 - 08:16 PM.

• caladancid likes this

caladancid

caladancid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 637 posts

So... I read the book, bog standard space marine novel basically. The GSC parts were somewhat interesting but at the end specifically I don't think Andy Clark understood how GSC actually worked. Especially when it comes to how Magus' work, one thing I do like is that the wider imperium don't actually know how to deal with an infestation properly. 

To discuss the ending further? 

Spoiler

If people want a better GSC novel that is far more accurate read Cult of the Spiral dawn. In the end it's kinda weird considering Gloomspite is far more better and then he puts out something like...this. 

You know I almost made a post after yours saying that while the GSC saved the book from deletion, it was no Cult of the Spiral Dawn.  Not even Cult of the Warmason. 

The parts I found really interesting were the battle of wills in the beginning and the ending (thought you are right that it isn't standard GSC lore).

• Shinros likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users