Why no Centurion characters?

Token

Characters just don't do heavy support roles. Dreadnought characters being the obvious exception, but the only characters I can think off that even uses something as heavy as a heavy bolters are that one Forge World devestator sergeant and I guess the new Iron Hands character, where the latter doesn't even hold the weapon in his hands.

If GW weren't wedded to the idea of phasing the Classic Marines out, we'd likely have seen a Captain or Lieutenant in Assault Centurion armour by now, likely with uniquewargear. Remember, Primaris have been in development for years so likely that is the reason we haven't seen anything.

It's a shame because I always wanted more customisable options across the board. Even Techmarines with modular Servo Harness and the like.

That's not the economic position we have right now or likely in the immediate future. GW has moved away from customisable models, kitbashing units and the more free posing character kits for all ranges.

I don't buy that they are phasing out old marines anytime soon.  Centurions are still recent sculpts, by GW standards.  The Tactical sprue, meanwhile is over 20 years old.  At the same time, they reduced the points of Tactical Squads to their lowest point ever, while also giving them Bolter Discipline.  Seems like a weird choice if old marines are going to be phased out.

Characters just don't do heavy support roles. Dreadnought characters being the obvious exception, but the only characters I can think off that even uses something as heavy as a heavy bolters are that one Forge World devestator sergeant and I guess the new Iron Hands character, where the latter doesn't even hold the weapon in his hands.

Ever since Techmarine with Conversion Beamer was taken away.  

I don't buy that they are phasing out old marines anytime soon.  Centurions are still recent sculpts, by GW standards.  The Tactical sprue, meanwhile is over 20 years old.  At the same time, they reduced the points of Tactical Squads to their lowest point ever, while also giving them Bolter Discipline.  Seems like a weird choice if old marines are going to be phased out.

Ever since Techmarine with Conversion Beamer was taken away.  

You mean the Tactical Squad.... That was updated in 2014 (or was it 2012?) is "over 20 years old"?

Wat

Edited by Gederas

If Rogal Dorn ever comes back, I hope his model wears Centurion armor. You all know why.

I don't buy that they are phasing out old marines anytime soon.

I agree. There's a big gap between "in production, stocked in stores, in the just-released codex, in the Start Collecting box, and still the only way to fill many roles" and "phased out". I don't see much reason to expect Firstborn units to ever go away entirely, much less soon.

But GW also doesn't seem very interested in supporting or expanding the non-Primaris range anymore. Given the choice between making a Gravis Captain box and a Centurion Captain box, I would be very surprised if they opt for the latter.

You mean the Tactical Squad.... That was updated in 2014 (or was it 2012?) is "over 20 years old"?

Wat

I knew someone was going to bring this up as i wrote it. :rolleyes:

They added bits to it.  But, it is still the same basic kit since 3rd edition.

I agree. There's a big gap between "in production, stocked in stores, in the just-released codex, in the Start Collecting box, and still the only way to fill many roles" and "phased out". I don't see much reason to expect Firstborn units to ever go away entirely, much less soon.

But GW also doesn't seem very interested in supporting or expanding the non-Primaris range anymore. Given the choice between making a Gravis Captain box and a Centurion Captain box, I would be very surprised if they opt for the latter.

I'd argue there's already too much bloat in the classic line.

If GW weren't wedded to the idea of phasing the Classic Marines out, we'd likely have seen a Captain or Lieutenant in Assault Centurion armour by now, likely with uniquewargear. Remember, Primaris have been in development for years so likely that is the reason we haven't seen anything.

It's a shame because I always wanted more customisable options across the board. Even Techmarines with modular Servo Harness and the like.

That's not the economic position we have right now or likely in the immediate future. GW has moved away from customisable models, kitbashing units and the more free posing character kits for all ranges.

While I agree with you about liking the options. I'm willing to sacrifice some variation for streamlined rules and the beautiful models GW is releasing recently.

I'd argue there's already too much bloat in the classic line.

Sure. The whole SM range is insanely huge, because it's the flagship/cash cow of the franchise, and GW has been capitalizing on it for decades. We have an unbelievable glut of options for every force org slot and tactical role. Nobody needs three different kinds of veteran squads on foot in power armor, or four kinds of terminators.

But I wouldn't have thought we needed three different Primaris troop choices in power armor wielding boltguns and starting with "I", so clearly I just don't get GW's business strategy, haha.

Now that i dwell on it, the prospects of a Relic Hurricane Bolter intrigues me.

You can give sergeant's master-crafted weapons so relic hurricane bolters are a thing.

Wat

I knew someone was going to bring this up as i wrote it. :rolleyes:

They added bits to it.  But, it is still the same basic kit since 3rd edition.

Its not the same basic kit, it was redone completely in CAD.

The parts make most of the same stuff but that's how new kits of old units work.

Edited by Closet Skeleton