Papa's Presence: Discussion on Basing for Nurgle Daemons

Aothaine

Hey everyone!

Getting closer to starting up my Nurgle Daemons army. Reading Dark Imperium now and the arrival of the Nurgle Daemons on Iax was so vivid and beautiful that I want to try and recreate it.

Themes:

Mud

Decayed Meat

Pools of Diseased Water

Trampled plant life

Dead whale ship. Going to be modeling this myself for one of my Great Unclean Ones. He will be walking out of the mouth on a tongue. It will just be the bottom of the mouth for the model and will connect to the display which will have the rest of the whale ship and the army coming out of the side of the whale on flesh ramps. 

Anyone have examples of bases they can share with these themes?

Thanks in advance!

Hehe, I haven't exactly done bases with a whale's mouth with the model coming out of it, however, I'll give you some tips regarding using water effects on bases:

• If you plan to varnish the model and the base after the paint job then do the water effects after the varnishing, or mask off the water effects (blue tack, masking tape etc).
  • I have tried a frew types of eater effects:
    • One-component water based water effect: Vallejo make this type of water effect and it is prone to shrinking, so when doing pools you will have this glossy water surface creeping up the sides of the pool due to the shrinking effect, I don't recommend this one.
    • Two component clear resin water effect: This one is a wee bit expensive and toxic, you mix the two components together and pour it, be careful when mixing so you don't create too much bubbles, or they will show when curing.
    • UV resin water effect: The best choice! It is easy to use and apply, does not have a shrinking effect, not as toxic as the two-component resin. It has the advantages of the two types above but not the disadvantages. You apply the resin and work it as you want, and then shine a small little UV-flashlight on it and it cures in 30 sec - 1 min. Also if you live in a sunny place you can just put it outside and it cures within minutes.

So if you plan to do water effects (including slime, blood etc) I strongly recommend UV resin, I tried out the green stuff world (link below) one and it works like a charm.

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/226-uv-resin

Nice project idea, keen to see the result!

I've done some tests mixing small amounts of brown paints with Nurgle's Rot and the resulting gooey mud is quite interesting for this kind of theme (or for sewers), it's worth playing around with the stuff! I'll try and find some photos when I'm back from travelling.

Stirland mud is quite interesting as it has a wet look with a dark brown tone, such as that of gravel/volcanic shores - probably quite fitting with the theme rather than paler, sand colours.

For crushed vegetation you may have some success by drying some grass, leaves, small leaves from the garden/park between tissues in a book (as herb collectors do) to preserve some of their colour, for a good few days (so they lose most of their humidity but remain flexible) and when you add them to the base with a texture paint /paint they'll get wet and will be easy to shape to look crushed (they're less rigid than plastic). You'll need some sort of varnish though to secure them and preserve them.

You may even recover some fish skulls form tiny fish (eg those used for fritters, small sardines, etc.. from your favourite fishmonger) by cooking the heads for a good hour and cleaning them carefully with a toothbrush, then drying them. They may need a quick rinse with a bit of dilute bleach (and a copious rinse with water afterwards) to remove the smell. And some varnish. Never tried it but certainly an idea worth looking into, I way contemplating doing this for some Troggoths but never got around to doing it.

If you have an AoS player around they may have bits from the troggorth kit that contain fish bones and angling items.

Those are the ideas that pop to mind right away. The project is certainly cool!

Edited by Isolia

I'm planning on using this muddy puddles tutorial as a starting point for my nurgle bases soon - I'll be adding some more static grass tufts, pre-made greenstuff world leaf litter and include a little static grass/flock in the mud, to add a little more variety. A thin layer of Greenstuff world UV resin to make the mud look wet in places (instead of water effects) because I already have that, and I'm going to try out greenstuffworld pre-tinted toxic effect resin instead of the AK interactive puddles to make them look a bit more well, toxic.

But stirland battlemire and carved out puddles, definitely the starting point! No suggestions for the decaying whale meat though, but that is definitely an awesome scene.

2019-12-04-17.02.32-1000x750.jpg

Edited by Arkhanist

Hehe, I haven't exactly done bases with a whale's mouth with the model coming out of it, however, I'll give you some tips regarding using water effects on bases:

• If you plan to varnish the model and the base after the paint job then do the water effects after the varnishing, or mask off the water effects (blue tack, masking tape etc).
  • I have tried a frew types of eater effects:
    • One-component water based water effect: Vallejo make this type of water effect and it is prone to shrinking, so when doing pools you will have this glossy water surface creeping up the sides of the pool due to the shrinking effect, I don't recommend this one.
    • Two component clear resin water effect: This one is a wee bit expensive and toxic, you mix the two components together and pour it, be careful when mixing so you don't create too much bubbles, or they will show when curing.
    • UV resin water effect: The best choice! It is easy to use and apply, does not have a shrinking effect, not as toxic as the two-component resin. It has the advantages of the two types above but not the disadvantages. You apply the resin and work it as you want, and then shine a small little UV-flashlight on it and it cures in 30 sec - 1 min. Also if you live in a sunny place you can just put it outside and it cures within minutes.

So if you plan to do water effects (including slime, blood etc) I strongly recommend UV resin, I tried out the green stuff world (link below) one and it works like a charm.

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/226-uv-resin

Sounds like the UV Resin is the way to go here. I'll be looking into and testing this thoroughly as I work towards completing this project. Thank you so much for the advice!

Nice project idea, keen to see the result!

I've done some tests mixing small amounts of brown paints with Nurgle's Rot and the resulting gooey mud is quite interesting for this kind of theme (or for sewers), it's worth playing around with the stuff! I'll try and find some photos when I'm back from travelling.

Stirland mud is quite interesting as it has a wet look with a dark brown tone, such as that of gravel/volcanic shores - probably quite fitting with the theme rather than paler, sand colours.

For crushed vegetation you may have some success by drying some grass, leaves, small leaves from the garden/park between tissues in a book (as herb collectors do) to preserve some of their colour, for a good few days (so they lose most of their humidity but remain flexible) and when you add them to the base with a texture paint /paint they'll get wet and will be easy to shape to look crushed (they're less rigid than plastic). You'll need some sort of varnish though to secure them and preserve them.

You may even recover some fish skulls form tiny fish (eg those used for fritters, small sardines, etc.. from your favourite fishmonger) by cooking the heads for a good hour and cleaning them carefully with a toothbrush, then drying them. They may need a quick rinse with a bit of dilute bleach (and a copious rinse with water afterwards) to remove the smell. And some varnish. Never tried it but certainly an idea worth looking into, I way contemplating doing this for some Troggoths but never got around to doing it.

If you have an AoS player around they may have bits from the troggorth kit that contain fish bones and angling items.

Those are the ideas that pop to mind right away. The project is certainly cool!

I'll be sure to try some of these out. Also, the fish skulls idea. F'me! That is just an amazing idea for what I am trying to do! Thank you so much! I could possibly even create the jaw using an actual fish's skull as the mold! Really looking forward to testing this out!

I'm planning on using this muddy puddles tutorial as a starting point for my nurgle bases soon - I'll be adding some more static grass tufts, pre-made greenstuff world leaf litter and include a little static grass/flock in the mud, to add a little more variety. A thin layer of Greenstuff world UV resin to make the mud look wet in places (instead of water effects) because I already have that, and I'm going to try out greenstuffworld pre-tinted toxic effect resin instead of the AK interactive puddles to make them look a bit more well, toxic.

But stirland battlemire and carved out puddles, definitely the starting point! No suggestions for the decaying whale meat though, but that is definitely an awesome scene.

Yeah that real water logged ground look is what I'm going for. Like when you're outside, it has rained all day and you step barefoot onto really rich and soft soil. The ground shifts to your foot pressure and water rises up and around the foot. :D

Thank you everyone for the fantastic ideas!! This project is still a few months to a year away but I'll be doing testing with a bunch of products before I get there to make sure I'm ready to bring the bases out to the max before I start this project. :D