Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FW Friday - DA Cenobium Inner Circle Knights

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

m0nolith

m0nolith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,183 posts
  • Faction: IXth Legion: The Blood Angels

I don't get what people are complaining about... they seem like a flat out upgrade over legion terminators, especially with free thunder-hammers.

I think it’s that some people simply really, and I mean really hate converting models.
If they came with an extra set of thunder hammer hands we wouldn’t be having this issue at all.

But FW from inception is a segment of the company that has and still does targeted a more experienced player base and a more experienced modeller, so doing a little (or a whole lot) of converting is sort of par for the course when it comes to 30k.

Alright, take for example the Crimson Paladins again.
They originally came with ap3 with rending sunset swords, awesome against hordes, but I wanted to make a Anti elite unit and luckily they can take power axes.

To do that a I had to first cut off the hands with the swords from the arm because they’re moulded on (as will the hands with the Cenobium). I had to take right handed FW Tartaros thunder hammers, cut the top off, and mate them with FW Cataphractii power axes with drilling and pinning, and then put the hand on the handless arm.

A bit time consuming for a simple change of weapons, but hey, stuff like this is pretty common.

gallery_86352_12089_44260.jpg

Edited by m0nolith, 15 February 2020 - 05:19 PM.

• Marshal Rohr, Son of Carnelian, RedFurioso and 1 other like this

gallery_48988_10980_21879.png    gallery_86352_12089_20671.jpg

Instagram gallery_86352_14298_238.jpgm0nolithpainting

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,134 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I don't get what people are complaining about... they seem like a flat out upgrade over legion terminators, especially with free thunder-hammers.

I think it’s that some people simply really, and I mean really hate converting models.
If they came with an extra set of thunder hammer hands we wouldn’t be having this issue at all.

But FW from inception is a segment of the company that has and still does targeted a more experienced player base and a more experienced modeller, so doing a little (or a whole lot) of converting is sort of par for the course when it comes to 30k.

Alright, take for example the Crimson Paladins again.
They originally came with ap3 with rending sunset swords, awesome against hordes, but I wanted to make a Anti elite unit and luckily they can take power axes.

To do that a I had to first cut off the hands with the swords from the arm because they’re moulded on (as will the hands with the Cenobium). I had to take right handed FW Tartaros thunder hammers, cut the top off, and mate them with FW Cataphractii power axes with drilling and pinning, and then put the hand on the handless arm.
A bit time consuming for a simple change of weapons, but hey, stuff like this is pretty common.

gallery_86352_12089_44260.jpg

I’m currently replacing all my warped Warder Axe hafts with brass rod, so I second this. Converting and altering models is a big part of the hobby. .
  • Son of Carnelian likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,076 posts
It’s an interesting contrast - FW is continuing the Old Ways while the main GW line pursues the new. We get to see the pros and cons of each.

gallery_48988_16053_12222.png

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

Aztek

Aztek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 409 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Forgeworld pulled another sneaky on us. Rules edit-

"In addition, such is the superlative skill of the Inner Circle Knights that they may make Overwatch attacks, despite being equipped with Cataphractii pattern Terminator armour."

Darkwrath121

Darkwrath121

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts
The sgt can now take digital lasers!

Edited by Darkwrath121, 18 February 2020 - 06:05 AM.

• Black Blow Fly and Aztek like this

Darkwrath121

Darkwrath121

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts
Additionally:
- Hunters of Beasts now allows rerolls of ALL to-wounds vs T6+
- Breaker of Witches now affects daemons
  • Black Blow Fly, Aztek and Denton25 like this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,705 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
These guys will handle daemons like nothing else. I feel like the swords are by far the best all-comer option with these changes; go hammers if you only ever play against legions.

The_Bloody

The_Bloody

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 596 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters, Dark Angels
They are also all Characters now
  • Aztek likes this

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,327 posts
@m0nolith - from the bare-resin shots of the knights it looks like the sword & hand is seperate from the lower arm. I’ll be able to confirm on Friday when my sets arrive, but swapping for Thunder Hammers should be relatively easy.
  • Gorgoff likes this
gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,102 posts

@m0nolith - from the bare-resin shots of the knights it looks like the sword & hand is seperate from the lower arm. I’ll be able to confirm on Friday when my sets arrive, but swapping for Thunder Hammers should be relatively easy.

Yes... It seems so to mee too...
I ordered a set of 5 with TDA praetor and i am gonna put some TH from DWT kit on them
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,327 posts

So my order turned up around 20 minutes ago, and I'd thought I'd share everything with you.

First of all - the instructions (oooh, exciting - I know!!!)

This is in spoilers for those who don't want to see semi-large images. But the long and the short of it is, what you see is exactly what you get. There are no real "optional" pieces, nor are there any alternative builds or pieces, literally what you see is what you get.

Spoiler

I would say that there are some good design choices here:

• The "Crests" (i.e. the winged shields on the shoulder pad) are separate pieces, and the pad hasn't got anything on it specifically for fixing them - so bare pads are an option!
  • The caps are separate, which is great for painting separately but also gives you the option of not having them, and the backs of the armour are fine with that.
  • Arm and sword are a separate piece to the arm / pad combo, so switching out for Thunder Hammers should be easy enough.

The bad points are:

• If like me you bought 2 kits with the intention of having a single 10-man block - you're going to have two sergeants. Heads are embedded in the torsos, so you can't swap out for a standard head. Plus the Iron Halo for the sergeant has to be the more complex version with the wings

The swords are pretty bad-ass too, they're all a little different from each other, something you don't see from the main site.

med_gallery_26271_16157_849662.jpeg

And as for the Plasma Casters, the design is starting to grow on me. I thought the blade was something to do with the weapon itself, but is actually part of the DA iconography on the side. 

med_gallery_26271_16157_1081287.jpeg

So far I'd give the kit a solid 8/10. For the premium price of £63 for 5 Terminator models I would have liked just a little more (mainly around the sergeant and having some parts to swap him out for a regular) but the quality looks really good.

• jaxom, Sandlemad, Noserenda and 5 others like this
gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

Erren

Erren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
  • Faction: I, XX Legions, House Vyronii
Can you leave off the wings from the iron halo to make a not-sergeant? My two kits come tomorrow!

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_04.jpg

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,076 posts

Thank you so much for posting all those pictures! I really do love the models, but knowing that they're effectively monopose has got me thinking about expanding their ranks with converted plastic Cataphractii (probably using some Deathwing Knight components).

• Elzender likes this

gallery_48988_16053_12222.png

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

m0nolith

m0nolith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,183 posts
  • Faction: IXth Legion: The Blood Angels
It sucks that you need more than just two sets to make a squad of 10 because the sergeant head is attached to the body.
In a situation like this I would just buy a regular non Sergeant chest/head from a bits seller. There are several online ones that are good on eBay, but my go to place is now always eggheadminiatures.com

Iv dealt with them several times in the past and I have had nothing but excellent experiences with them, not to mention the fact that they’re the only ones that I’v bought from in which I’m 100% certain the bits are real FW.
It costs more, but I’d rather pay and be sure I’m getting the real thing than get something wonky.

gallery_48988_10980_21879.png    gallery_86352_12089_20671.jpg

Instagram gallery_86352_14298_238.jpgm0nolithpainting

Elzender

Elzender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,029 posts
Seeing torso and legs are separate, another option would be getting a normal cataphractii chest piece and convert it a bit to fit more with the aesthetic. Maybe kitbashing it with DA plastic terminators or even the BT front set to give it a chest cloth (I remember seeing it for some IF terminators a few years ago).

My blog (in Spanish): http://suenosdeuncon...logspot.com.es/

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_73849.png

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,858 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
Since these are out, it's time to take the discussion to the Age of Darkness and/or Dark Angels forums.

gallery_26_548_17394.gif
  • Interrogator Stobz and Dosjetka like this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users