Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to play the Stormraven Gunship

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Berzul

Berzul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,110 posts
  • Faction: Wings of Dawn (DA Successors)
Hey everyone.

So, I got a Stormraven Gunship for my birthday, today. Awesome gift from my gaming group.

Thing is... I have N O idea how to play it. Hence, how to build it.

Please, any advice?
  • Solrac likes this

"Fiat lux!"
- Battle cry of the Wings of Dawn, a Dark Angel's Successor Chapter

gallery_26154_15777_630.png

tychobi

tychobi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts
Two schools of thought.

Classic is load it up and fly into the teeth of the enemy to disgorge hitty melee passengers. Arm with assault cannon and heavy bolters or multi meltas and hurricanes.

Pros: aggressive power play.

Cons: you are going to get shot down in a hurry

Sniper load out is typhoon and lascannon. Hug your rear and use range to keep yourself alive while pouring high str firepower downfield. Only close when threats are thinned with incidental passengers.

Pros: raven might survive until late game

Cons: will not help with map control early on. Still fragile

Either way Stormraven is a pricey platform for some serious firepower. I have personally had more success with the long range set up with hurricanes. Full utility of the models versatility is needed to get great value out of the Stormraven. Charge block terrestrial models, hover and charge enemy armor to quiet their guns, fly over advancing characters to maintain aura buffs, drop next to enemy characters and assassinate with brutal efficiency, there are so many slick moves you can make. GOOD LUCK!😊
  • Helias Tancred likes this

Kill Maim Destroy

Mitsarugi

Mitsarugi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7 posts

Flyers are not good in 8th Ed, they are too easy to shoot down. -1 is not going to save them. Unless you have a few of them or have bigger threats that you opponent has to shoot at.

Tychobi  game you good advice for it.

Grimdark_Garage

Grimdark_Garage

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
Take a Darkshroud for -2 to hit. Great delivery system for Terminators with Asmodai
  • Helias Tancred likes this

ValourousHeart

ValourousHeart

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,928 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Gossamer Shroud

Take a Darkshroud for -2 to hit. Great delivery system for Terminators with Asmodai

TL; DR - Possible, yes.  Practical, no.

It will take practice and favorable terrain setup, but it is possible to keep Stormraven in range of the Darkshroud for multiple turns.

You will zig zag your Stormraven from one side of the Darkshroud to the other, while the Darkshroud moves straight forward.

That alternating diagonal line will keep the Stormraven moving a minimum of 20 inches while keeping its forward progress between 13 - 18 inches which is as fast as the Darkshroud can move without burning through CP.

Down sides to this pairing is that you slow your cargo delivery by at least 1 turn, which means your opponent will have more chances to shoot you down.

Also you telegraph where your dropping your cargo, combined with the extra time it takes you to get there means that your opponent can move assets to reinforce that part of the table.

This second part might not be a big issue, because often your opponent will put all of their eggs in one basket... which is kinda what you are doing by adding the Darkshroud to a Stormraven filled with DWT/DWK and Asmodai.

You might also be tempted to drag a Dreadnought with you.

But against a strong list that doesn't rely on a linchpin, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Berzul

Berzul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,110 posts
  • Faction: Wings of Dawn (DA Successors)
I was a actually thinking of using it as a long to mid range gun platform, to deliver one full man, or two smaller, tactical squads at midfield objectived.

Arm it with twin lascannons, hurricane bolters, and typhoon missile launchers. Load up 10 tactical marines and a close combat dreadnought, then take sweeping advances from my back field.
  • tychobi and Helias Tancred like this

"Fiat lux!"
- Battle cry of the Wings of Dawn, a Dark Angel's Successor Chapter

gallery_26154_15777_630.png

sneakybamsen

sneakybamsen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,039 posts
  • Faction: DA, IK, TS

The times I have brought one, and faced one, it's been shot down pretty quickly.

As a delivery system it will crash and burn before you can deliver the guys where you want when you want.

Gun platform might be the best option. I might need to have a look at mine and see if I can fix the typhoon in place with the twin las instead of the dakka loadout it has right now.

A.K.A. Brother Cyphriel

Progress log for Dark Angels and a couple of knights: http://www.bolterand...-paintful-work/

eO4Lhjt.pngWLvJrn0.png7OYFHsF.png

Helias Tancred

Helias Tancred

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,555 posts
  • Location:On the bridge of my strike cruiser, The Sanguine Spear
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Two schools of thought.

Classic is load it up and fly into the teeth of the enemy to disgorge hitty melee passengers. Arm with assault cannon and heavy bolters or multi meltas and hurricanes.

Pros: aggressive power play.

Cons: you are going to get shot down in a hurry

Sniper load out is typhoon and lascannon. Hug your rear and use range to keep yourself alive while pouring high str firepower downfield. Only close when threats are thinned with incidental passengers.

Pros: raven might survive until late game

Cons: will not help with map control early on. Still fragile

Either way Stormraven is a pricey platform for some serious firepower. I have personally had more success with the long range set up with hurricanes. Full utility of the models versatility is needed to get great value out of the Stormraven. Charge block terrestrial models, hover and charge enemy armor to quiet their guns, fly over advancing characters to maintain aura buffs, drop next to enemy characters and assassinate with brutal efficiency, there are so many slick moves you can make. GOOD LUCK!

A very educational post! Kudos Brother.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users