theorycrafting an Inquisition army

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about starting an inquisition army to give myself an ultimate hobby army. The plan is to do a thematic army, and one of the members here gave me a great idea about a year ago that I plan on stealing. The plan is an ordo machinum army where I mix imperium and mechanicus parts to represent an army that has been heavily augmented.

I do want it to be playable against my friends as well, so it has to pack a bit of a punch so It will not be pure Inquisition. I have the idea of running two mindless blobs of conscripts, represented by the Forgeworld tech thrall models. They can be made fearless with the AM spell and the Inquisition spell, and the ordo Xenos spell gives me the chance to "hide" a couple of acolyte plasma squads behind them. This actually seems somewhat plausible, and 3-4 full squads of acolytes with plasma, supported by Jokaero's probably can do some work. The conscripts are just there to run up, provide a screen and die, but they can be made tougher with the AM codex with spells and strats to give them -1 to hit and +2 to their save. I'm going to use the AM codex anyway, because I want to bring Inquisitional stormtroopers dropping in from the sky, so I figured I might as well use conscripts to screen, since it fits in my army background nicely.

Has anyone tried screening ordo Xenos acolyte squads yet? I'd like to know if it is somewhat feasible before I put the hurt on my bank account to acquire some tech thralls. (any other conversions fitting the theme are always welcome too).

I saw the thread title and got here as fast as I could.

First, you’re correct that inquisition literally needs allies. You can’t field enough to make a 2k army on its own (but it doesn’t stop me from trying.)

Second, you can filed 3-4 acolyte squads because they’re elites. That means you’re capped out at 3 squads. Yes, it’s dumb and it sucks and I hate GW and grrrr.

Third, you’re basic plan is otherwise solid. Look into Eisenhorn to get a superior Ordo Xenos psyker. Consider a terminator inquisitor or LORD HECTOR REX (you’re contractually obligated to spell it in caps) to deep strike with some of the stormies.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I completely forgot about the rule of three! It wouldn’t be a problem in most of my games, but better make my list compatible for everything.

As you can see in the submitted list over in the list forum, I plan on running a counts as Eisenhorn, since he trumps any regular xenos inquisitor and I need my xenos inquisitor to cast two spells. I do have the real model to sub in official games if needed.

I am actually considering adding a second inquisitor for added fun on the offence, I’m just thinking anout how I will fit this in my custom lore (maybe a brother/sister combo).

Edited by Joukernaut

Second, you can filed 3-4 acolyte squads because they’re elites. That means you’re capped out at 3 squads. Yes, it’s dumb and it sucks and I hate GW and grrrr.

Why capped at 3 Acolyte squads? Why can't you take a Vanguard Detachment which is 3-6 Elite slots?

Couldn't you take three Vanguard Detachments with a total of 18 Acolyte squads?

You are completely right, you can.

But, there is the rule of three, which is not obligatory but most tournaments enforce it.

Might as well try to make the army tournament proof, just in case.

My gaming group usually uses the rule of three as well, allthough I think nobody would mind me breaking it with acolytes.

I couldn't find this "rule of three" in the 40K rulebook. It sounds like this is some widely-used house rule that tournaments use? And I take it this "rule of three" is that you can only take three of any one unit unless it's a Troops choice?