Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MSU Madness- 2k Competitive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,085 posts

So, I'm toying with maximising our strengths with Red Thirst/Rage  and the doctrine benefits. 

I'm looking at the following double batt + vanguard.

SmashCap - TH/SS/JP (wings usually + artisan)

Astorath

Corbulo 

SangPriest  - JP (Pinions)

Chaplain - JP

5x Incursors

5x Incursors

5x Intercessors - PF, Autobolt

5x Scouts - Snipers

5x Intercessors - Stalkers

5x Intercessors - Stalkers

5x Reivers - grapnel

5x Assault Terms - 5SS/TH

5x Sang Guard - 5PF

5x Sang Guard - 5PF

5x Vanguard Veterans  - PF/5SS (JP)

5x Vanguard Veterans  - PF/5SS (JP)

5x Death Company - PF (JP)

Sanguinary Ancient - (WL) PF, Banner

When BA docs kick in, the little squads wind up doing quite a lot.  While there is absolutely no shooty support here, there's enough mobility and hopefully the mobile jump units and phobos can deal with screens. 

What you guys think? 

(EDIT:  Had made a mistake with points- so had one extra squad in ><; ) 

Edited by Morticon, 18 February 2020 - 02:15 AM.

Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,433 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
I try to do similar but I find I run out of steam quite often. Perhaps I need to gravitate more in this direction. Are you just marching stuff up the board and deep striking the rest T2/3?

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpggallery_48988_15094_4929.pnggallery_62972_14467_2702.jpggallery_48988_15094_2403.pnggallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:0
1250 Death Company List (jump) W:0 D:0 L:0
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:2 Dreadnought List W:2 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:0 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:1 Two Towers List W:0 D:0 L:0
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:2 D:1 L:0

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,085 posts

Havent had a chance to playtest yet! But yeah, idea would be super aggressive play.  

Options to DS masses of the army, so would need to see what I must deploy on ground and what i can put in later. 

SG, Terms and Reivers defs in reserve.  The rest will see how goes.  Id have to play very tight and tidy and also hope the priests can maybe help with revives and heals

Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Corbulo Tactica

Debauchery101

Debauchery101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,142 posts
I'd suggest combining the vanguards to 10 men.

Then sub out the other 5 to make your DeathCo 10 men. Make the chaplain into Lemartes.

Dont waste pinions on a priest. He cant heal/revive if hes into close combat. You'll want to be able to move him to the buff as many people possible

I also think some eliminators would really help you out. Phobos Cpt with quake rounds is nice also.

You have 0 ranged weaponry above str4 or ap-2/damage 2....that's legit horrible. Yes they're blood angels but they're still marines that are better at range than 75% of enemies and you always start in Devastator doctrine then tactical..you should some units with reliable dmg output that can take advantage of those

Blood Angel's is aggressive and really effective to get in and start thrashing. But a decent player with screens, auspex scan, vehicles with machine spirit and Primaris Infiltrators can just eat up these small squads while throwing trash at you. I promise you can do better by taking larger squads where the lethality of that unit can kill most stuff with 2-4 models...like 8-10 SG with 3 or4 fists...10-15 DeathCo with 3 or 4 hammers.

I do like seeing Rievers used more. I have been doing that myself along with suppressors. Deep striking them around your marines with death masks can really help if you are using psykers. I use 3 or 4 most games. Mortal wounds love vets with storm shield 😁
The Pleasure God's Chosen

Emperor's Children (RIP) 2500 pts
Death Guard 3500 pts
Iron Warriors 3000 pts
Enslaved Traitor Guardsmen 1500 pts
Daemons 4000 pts
Salamanders 3000 pts
Necrons 2000 pts

Debauchery101

Debauchery101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,142 posts
If you removed the rievers, corbulo and incursors you could take
10 scouts with camo/snipers
2x eliminators

39 leftover pts...2 DeathCo with packs or 1 with hammer

Using math hammer with the scouts and eliminators you can dish out 5-7 mortals on almost anything you want per turn. Scouts also have DOH

Edited by Debauchery101, 17 February 2020 - 04:23 AM.

The Pleasure God's Chosen

Emperor's Children (RIP) 2500 pts
Death Guard 3500 pts
Iron Warriors 3000 pts
Enslaved Traitor Guardsmen 1500 pts
Daemons 4000 pts
Salamanders 3000 pts
Necrons 2000 pts

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,085 posts

Using math hammer with the scouts and eliminators you can dish out 5-7 mortals on almost anything you want per turn. Scouts also have DOH

I'm getting an average of 1.7 or so mortals a turn? Not sure where the numbers coming from?

I'd suggest combining the vanguards to 10 men.

Then sub out the other 5 to make your DeathCo 10 men. Make the chaplain into Lemartes.

Dont waste pinions on a priest. He cant heal/revive if hes into close combat. You'll want to be able to move him to the buff as many people possible

I also think some eliminators would really help you out. Phobos Cpt with quake rounds is nice also.

I usually rock the 8-10 man squads with decent levels of success.  The issue is that the way the game has moved in terms of direction has seen hardcore overkill/overfocus of fire a thing.  There are units that put out mad amounts of damage.  Splitting like this (in theory anyway) forces the opponent to split fire and make hard choices against a variety of units that can each do something. This in turn allows for more favourable swings with dice.  That, as said, is just the theory anyway.

In terms of the pinions - that was totally my bad!!! I had named it incorrectly - i meant "Icon of the Angel" - since there are 8 units available for deepstrike from reserve (not even counting the characters) the Icon is a necessity in my mind. 

I LOVE the idea of a Phobos cap, but just feel Wing/Banner/ICon is too good a combo for this build.

GREAT call on Lemartes though - absolutely no reason to be using a regular chappy.

Corbulo Tactica

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

Just for clarity which units exactly would starting on the table and which in deep strike?

Since you basically don't have strong shooting units, the damage you can do on turn 1 is limited, and the impact of things like Forlorn Fury/Upon Wings of Fire is constrained by the fact that all your units are MSU. Also you haven't included Mephiston or a Librarian Dreadnought, so the turn 1 Wings of Sanguinius/Quickening gambit is also out.

My point is that if your opponent goes first they're going to have two turns to lay some serious pain on your army whilst your ability to respond is limited, so by the time you actually get into a position for a mass army charge on turn 2, a large chunk of it will likely be dead.

Furthermore, if a large part of the army is being held back in reserve, you'll be relying on numerous charges out of deep strike, and things like Canticle of Hate and Descent of Angels will be less effective as you'll have to spread the buffs over many units.

It's certainly an interesting idea and I look forward to hearing how a playtest goes but on paper it seems risky, with those risks being exacerbated greatly if you lose first turn.

• Morticon likes this

"They are the sons of the Angel, the blooded host, the defenders of Humanity. They are strength. They are nobility. They are the Blood Angels, and I say to you there are no more loyal or determined servants of the Emperor alive today."

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,539 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Reivers over DC intercessors? 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,085 posts

Defs.  DC Ints are dead on arrival for me.  

• t-dog1996 likes this

Corbulo Tactica

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

DC Intercessors are basically an inferior version of normal Intercessors IMO. You trade the ability to fill out battalions (vital in a CP hungry army like ours) for a single extra attack on the charge and a 6+ FNP. That's a hard no deal for me. When I first saw that DC Primaris were going to be a thing I was excited, but with no ability to take more than 1 cc weapon per 5 guys, no ability to take jump packs and not even an extra base attack over normal Intercessors I can't help but feel they screwed it up. Reivers are hardly the best unit in the game, but they are definitely superior to DC Intercessors.

"They are the sons of the Angel, the blooded host, the defenders of Humanity. They are strength. They are nobility. They are the Blood Angels, and I say to you there are no more loyal or determined servants of the Emperor alive today."

BrotherAetherick

BrotherAetherick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 192 posts

How are you finding Brother Corbulo? The exploding 6's is very enticing and the free reroll is nice for topping off wounds/picking up dead models, but do you find he gets left behind a lot?

I'm not sure about double priest. if you could find the points you could replace him with a phobos captain and make him the warlord with shoot and fade.

This lets you have the 12 inch denial bubble for your character castle, and a decent weapon that can target characters.

With the warlord trait he can advance (and still shoot) and then move and advance again, giving a 7" (red thirst) + 7" + 2d6 movement range (albeit can't go through models, and can't charge after) to position buffs. He can take icon of the angel or quake bolts (which synergizes with corbulo, turning on exploding 6's on power fists/hammers, and 5+ explodes on other units)

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,085 posts

Ive only play-tested him three times and all the time I've been quite aggressive with his movement- using him buffered between Phobos units and marching Intercessors (as well as advancing/striking jumpers) - I dont often get the uber-combo off ( Mass of Doom + Corbs ability)  but, when I do (1 of 3 games so far) its really devastating considering Corbs' ability then triggers on a 5.

The second priest is actually just for the Icon- which is a necessity in my lists - and I guess I could make use of the Icon with the Phobos Cap, but then I feel my drop location options are limited 

Corbulo Tactica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users