Will GW release chapter specific Primaris units?

BLACK BLΠFLY

I don't see how anyone outside of GW could possibly know, at this point.

I do think it's worth noticing that the Primaris line has so far carefully avoided direct equivalents or replacements. The only direct swaps are the HQ choices, and there they've heavily restricted wargear so that Firstborn HQ still have a niche, which I doubt is an accident.

I do think it's worth noticing that the Primaris line has so far carefully avoided direct equivalents or replacements. The only direct swaps are the HQ choices, and there they've heavily restricted wargear so that Firstborn HQ still have a niche, which I doubt is an accident.

This. And it likely won't be until after the Primaris Line is completed for kits.

If anything, I expect to see Chapter-Specific Primaris units to fill a different niche than the Firstborn ones, while still fitting the chapter's aesthetic. For example:

1. Deathwing Aggressors with rapid-fire Plasma Weapons
  2. Blood Angels Suppressors with Assault Cannons/Incendium Cannon
  3. Space Wolf Hellblasters with Hellfrost weapons

Stuff like that.

Edited by Gederas

I think we will see chapter specific units at some point, but I think the Primaris range probably has two more big release waves, and a bunch of characters to update/replace before it happens (I'd estimate like 3-5 years). The exception being units like the Vitrix that come with a character. 

Pretty much where I'm at - an Outrider wave this year made up largely of Fast Attack units and then a Spearhead wave next year focusing on Heavy Support, with Troop and Elite units mixed in with both along with the odd Transport or Flyer. And that should be about it for the generic army.

But there will still be potential for more characters as I think there will be more options in particular for Gravis-armored or JumpPack-equipped characters than just what arrives in the next couple of years. We'll have captains and lieutenants in both flavors soon enough (I know we already have a Gravis captain), but the other characters will probably roll out more slowly. Not saying EVERY character will have models available in both of those options, but a few will. And they won't all come at once.

And that's assuming they don't start down the road of introducing Primaris characters on bikes.

They COULD just roll straight into chapter-specific units, but as well as GW planned the Primaris introduction, I'm sure they were mindful of customer burnout and figured that a few years spent on other neglected factions would make the eventual introduction of Primaris Thunderwolves or whatever much more of an event when it happens.

Wasn’t there two years between the core release and the vanguard? If they continue in that fashion then we won’t see outrider till next year.

We have already seen the grainy picture of what looks like a new Primaris heavy landspeeder and possibly primaris bikes too.

gallery_14877_8976_1343798.jpg

If the models exist and are painted up, I can't see them waiting until 2021 to release them. Remember that each injection molding tooling for a new kit costs in the region of £100,000. That is a lot of money tied up in an asset that will only generate profit once it goes into production. I can see GW hanging onto a new model for 6 months as part of a release strategy but 18 months is long time to leave cash tied up in steel without using it.

Edited by Karhedron

Wasn’t there two years between the core release and the vanguard? If they continue in that fashion then we won’t see outrider till next year.

It was more like eighteen months between the later MPK boxes in the first wave and Shadowspear, but regardless...

The only reason for that gap was just to make sure that the Primaris range wasn't roundly rejected by the customer base. If it had been, or even if the reception had been more lukewarm, they probably would have taken a different approach going forward - either promising to introduce new sculpts in the OldMarine scale or even announcing that they were dropping the Primaris concept aside from the released models and instead would slowly update the existing OldMarine models to the Primaris scale, but with their traditional weapons and armor.

I think there's a reason that Calgar wasn't released until the end of 2018. If the Primaris release had flopped, he might very well have been clad in Terminator armor when he showed up instead of Gravis.

But once they saw that the Primaris had been received well and that Eighth Edition was popular overall, there would be no reason to schedule in a gap year between future Primaris releases.

We have already seen the grainy picture of what looks like a new Primaris heavy landspeeder and possibly primaris bikes too.

If the models exist and are painted up, I can't see them waiting until 2021 to release them. Remember that each injection molding tooling for a new kit costs in the region of £100,000. That is a lot of money tied up in an asset that will only generate profit once it goes into production. I can see GW hanging onto a new model for 6 months as part of a release strategy but 18 months is long time to leave cash tied up in steel without using it.

The tank at the bottom of the picture is also for a model we dont have yet.

I had nothing against a new Primaris Storm - based Release (means bikes, Speeders etc..)

I want the Primaris Melee wave in a time when Black Templars get more attension - now its meh. The Supplement is okay rulewise but not a single sprue or a model - not a bit new lore - MEH. 

That tank is the rumored Impunator.

A Repulsor with a 4++ invul shield like the Impulsor option.

with that release - Space Marines are even more OP then now. If GW make this - the time for collapse of hype would be close. The Iron Hands,  Imperial Fists and RG Supplements are close to something that could cost GW their whole success.

Edited by Medjugorje

Long term yes

Short term no

def. yes

at first they will release all unit types which are in the current Firstborn range exist.

- Captain x

- Chaplain x

- Librarian x

- Techmarine

- Apo x

- Champion

- Ancient x

- Tactical x

- Scouts (Reivers?)

-Assault 

-Terminator (Aggressors?)

-Assault Terminator

-Devastator (Hellblasters?)

-Vanguard 

-Sternguard (Incursors, Infiltrators?)

and the tanks 

Land Raider - Repusor

Rhino - ?

Razorback - Impulsor

Land Speeder

Whirlwind

Predator

Vindicator

Dreadknought x

The question is if all the charakters will be Primarised.

- Lysander

- Kantor

- Cassius

- Ultramarine Scout Guy

- Helbrecht

- Grimaldus

- Emperors Champion

I am not sure because GW used to stop producing old modles like a few Blood Angels characters in start of 3rd edition, and Tycho as well. All Codex Space Marines first founding chapters now have at least one character and i am not sure if GW will support the rest. And after their focus on first founding chapters for a few years now I am very pessemistic to see new Black Templar, Crimson Fists or Flesh Tearer models in the future...

Once the gaps are filled in the main range, absolutely. They need a fast attack slot or two (that blurry pic has confirmed it too) and maybe another Elite and there is likley going to be a razorback equivalent. Possibly a full flyer but I see that much later.

Once they have those out they will start to expand the other sub factions, because they would be mad not to, its basically like printing money.

I think wargear options on HQ units will also open up around this time, as they seem to be wanting to have a model released for every wargear option going forward (atleast for marines, but its looking like every new faction release will be getting this treatment going forward too). Whilst primaris seem a little bland (I hesitate to use this word because we as a community can take the humble intercessor and make absolutely anything from them) right now, i'd argue its always been the foundation work.

I seriously doubt we will ever see chapter specific box sets of new stuff again. Why? Because there is a lot more money to be made by selling a box of generic marines to all the marine players instead of just DA or just BA. The most you will see is an upgrade style kit to give an option to a "modified" chapter specific unit. 

Remember that GW is a miniatures company first and foremost. They will do what will make them the most money possible for their investment in developing a new box of mini's 

I'm not totally sure that reasoning holds. It probably does right now because the Primaris line is still pretty sparse. But at some point, the fact that everyone can use Tartaros Terminators doesnt mean everyone will; many players will just buy the one kind of terminator they want, and not buy the others. If 90% of Blood Angels player would buy Primaris Sanguinary Guard (or whatever), at some point that's more net sales than 1% of all SM players buying yet another niche unit.

I'm not totally sure that reasoning holds. It probably does right now because the Primaris line is still pretty sparse. But at some point, the fact that everyone can use Tartaros Terminators doesnt mean everyone will; many players will just buy the one kind of terminator they want, and not buy the others. If 90% of Blood Angels player would buy Primaris Sanguinary Guard (or whatever), at some point that's more net sales than 1% of all SM players buying yet another niche unit.

That's assuming that they are going to release a unit, not what Acebaur said: an upgrade kit to make a specialized unit for a Chapter.

Think of it like this:

Round 3 of Primaris - close combat Marines with chainswords, everyone goes nuts and buys a kit, most folks assemble and paint them within six months or so.

Round 5 of Primaris a year, year and a half later- introduction of an upgrade kit for Blood Angels specifically corresponding to body parts found in the Round 3 CC Marine kit, but providing "Exsanguine Reaver" weapons for five men and some upgraded chest plates for three bodies, and two upgraded leg bits that match different bodies in the kit, and some upgraded helms - all to make a different squad that doesn't occupy the same playing space as the CC squad, but instead is a variant on a previous unit doing something a little differently. The cost is 1/3 - 1/2 the price of the original kit. Now the BA players contribute to both sales of the original kit all over again if they have already put all their squads of it together whole, plus an upgrade kit or two, or at least buy one of the new upgrade kits to finish out some guys they didn't already assemble.

Will some cry foul, sure, but that always happens - but this way, the BA player doesn't feel as shorted, because the squad that's being replaced is one they bought 5 years prior or so, not the CC squad that came out 3 years ago, and they are getting a new/slightly different benefit over that older squad that is similar, etc. The original kit sales don't suffer and aren't cannibalized either, because all the other Chapters' players still get the full benefit of the CC Unit, and no one is screaming that "Hey, they are this+1!"

Besides Victrix Honor Guard and characters there are no chapter specific Primaris units. Will GW eventually start releasing them as equivalents or replacements for units such as Black Knights and Sanguinary Guard?

This. And it likely won't be until after the Primaris Line is completed for kits.

If anything, I expect to see Chapter-Specific Primaris units to fill a different niche than the Firstborn ones, while still fitting the chapter's aesthetic. For example:

1. Deathwing Aggressors with rapid-fire Plasma Weapons
  2. Blood Angels Suppressors with Assault Cannons/Incendium Cannon
  3. Space Wolf Hellblasters with Hellfrost weapons

Stuff like that.

I think so yes in the long term. In the short term I think units like SW BC and GH who are in essence tactical marines but just different ages ( Blood claws are the young pups still learning to control their impulses Grey hunters have managed to do so) this being the case it would only mean there would need to be rules put in place for the intercessors, and allowing them to take a chainsword and other different weapons etc.