Flight Plan (Warhammer Community)

Basically just a very minor mould misalignment that needed scrapping down like a mould line, air bubbles, flash I was initially concerned had obscured details etc. The pieces fit very well at least.

So, stuff that those of us who grew up on 1990's GW metal miniatures would regard as "normal" then. :laugh.: :smile.: (well, possibly not the bubbles, but I imagine they should generally be easy to fill ...)  I was worried it might be stuff that would be more involved to fix. :)

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I wish that they were packaged differently, so you could buy the hydras, or basilisk, or ground target (I'm guessing people are going to want more hydras than ground targets).

They are really nice, and an improvement over the previous plastic kit, but as with all things Forgeworld of late, I'm struggling with the price.  On the plus side, I have the plastic kit, so I don't need these ... do I? :blush: :lol: :)

• 2 weeks later...

New Flight Plan article up, running through the various named aces:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/11/17/flight-plan-aces-away/

It also ends by saying they’ll be back next month with some exciting news about the future of Aeronautica! Now that might just be hyperbole for the fact they’ll have another Flight Plan article, or it could mean they actually have a big announcement... Ill-informed and baseless speculation, go!

• 3 weeks later...

Not really Flight Plan, but I didn't want to start a new thread ... there's a bit in the upcoming December White Dwarf about "looted" planes:

"It’s a well known fact that the Imperial Navy has the best planes in the galaxy* – so it’s no wonder that Ork and T’au forces keep stealing them… This White Dwarf brings you rules for adding Imperial Navy aircraft to Ork Air Waaagh! squadrons as looted planes (complete with Ork bombs!) and to T’au Air Caste squadrons as human auxiliaries." (source: Warhammer Community)

I think this is the first time in ages we have had playable rules for gue'vesa, the last 40k rules were at least 3 or 4 editions ago.

It will be interesting to see what they do to differentiate an Ork or tau aircraft from an imperial one, it may just be upgrades but I am hoping for something more.

And those kitbashed Ork planes look good :)

The Warcom article dakka dakka got the pictures from is up as well https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/15/flight-plan-introducing-the-biggest-bomb-in-the-imperial-navy/

I'll admit I was hoping the Colossus would have a huge bomb under the centre of it's air frame but that would interfere with the flight stand.

So this looks like a resin conversion kit for the plastic marauder - I wonder what this is going to cost?

It will be interesting to see what they do to differentiate an Ork or tau aircraft from an imperial one, it may just be upgrades but I am hoping for something more.

Leafing through my copy of White Dwarf, and trying hard not to post the full rules:

• Tau may take "1 in n" aircraft from what at first glance looks like the full Imperial aircraft roster, and upgrades may be added as normal - i.e. they function as allies in old WHFB.
  • Orks may take "1 in n" aircraft from a very restricted list of Imperial aircraft, with upgrades being chosen from a list of Ork upgrades.

The article includes "cards" for the looted Ork aircraft, although I couldn't see any differences from the standard card (I may not have been looking that hard).

I'll admit I was hoping the Colossus would have a huge bomb under the centre of it's air frame but that would interfere with the flight stand.

I'm guessing they're basing it off the old Lancaster with a "Grand Slam"?  I was going to say other than the nose turret, it's kinda hard to spot the difference between it and the "normal" variant, but it took me a while to notice the loss of the fuselage turret ... :facepalm: :blush.:

The colossus is interesting, but I'm not sure what the point of it really is. The standard Marauder's bombs are already good enough to destroy any ground target in AI, and it can do that three times. Am I missing special things in scenarios that would warrant such a big hit?

I don't think I like the idea of looted planes really. I guess it's relatively fluffy and people could definitely do some cool conversions.

The colossus is interesting, but I'm not sure what the point of it really is. The standard Marauder's bombs are already good enough to destroy any ground target in AI, and it can do that three times. Am I missing special things in scenarios that would warrant such a big hit?

In game terms, I dunno (I think your summary is spot-on). :sad.:  In more modelling terms, it's a jet Lancaster with a Grand Slam in it, therefore cool and will be bought (by me) :laugh.::blush.:

I don't think I like the idea of looted planes really. I guess it's relatively fluffy and people could definitely do some cool conversions.

The pic in WD (which was on the 'Community site) with Thunderbolts with Fighta Bommer wings and an orky paintjob did look cool. I can see a lone Ork Nob (ace) in a looted "Thundabolt" with a snazzy (orky) paint scheme being a fluffy addition to an orky air armada. :smile.:  How it would work out in a more competitive environment is another question (I'm a "narrative-only" player).

I think the point would be a narrative Dambusters scenario where the regular bombs aren't big enough to destroy the target (actual damage rules aside). Also, it has roots in the 1st edition of the game when Forge World made Marauder variants as much because that makes logical sense from a historical perspective as much as gameplay need. 

Is that enough to justify it's existence when you could just give the regular Marauder a house rules bomb load suitable for the scenario? I guess that's up to each player to decide.

I hope there is a bomb underneath because the 1st edition AI model had that feature:

bf1d16ee19eb34d2dbf00e8ecf652e0e.jpg

It would be pretty bland otherwise.

I think the early previews of aircraft via Flight Plan (before pre order) have generally been quite bad, almost as if the person producing them doesn't understand what players of the game might actually want to see (such as size comparisons with the ork big bomber). I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't bother to take a picture of the underside for the preview.

I would hope so, but we know GW is slowing the release schedule down a bit for a while.

This will generate a backlog compared to their initial plans for 2021, so for a smaller game like AI we might end up with only 1 big release instead of 2 as I would expect them to prioritize 40K/AOS releases.

Edit - to make clear, this is just speculation on my part

Edited by klisof

In game terms, I dunno (I think your summary is spot-on). :sad.:  In more modelling terms, it's a jet Lancaster with a Grand Slam in it, therefore cool and will be bought (by me) :laugh.::blush.:

Hmm, I'm a bit surprised. It looks pretty identical to a Marauder Vigilant though (unless I'm missing something?), so I'm thinking I'll paint one up as an AWACs-style bird instead.

Unless it's resin of course, then they can go hang :dry.: