Blood Angels Assault Terminator Bomb

Commander Ravendark

I thought someone would have been write something about this combo till now but nobody did it or I couldn't find it so I hope it is good enough to make Assault Terminators useful again.

First of all the list:

Astorath 105p

Sanguinary Priest ( with Jumppack and icon of the angels) 70p

Captain in Phobos Armour ( with Quake bolts ) 99p

Sanguinary Ancient ( with Standard of Sacrifice ) 65p

Mephiston 145p

10 men Assault Terminator squad with thunder hammers and storm shields 410p

it is a 849 point blob that can kill anything it touches. so you can add this to your army with dc and some scouts and even some tactical warsuit.

So how it works:

Terminators, sanguinary priest and sanguinary ancient will be in the sky. Astorath, Mephiston and Phobos captain will be on the table.

You can put Phobos captain to the middle of the table so you can use Quake bolts when needed and Astorath should be near where you will deploy your terminators. 

İf you go first you can run DC and send Astorath with wings of fire so he will be close enough.

Screen is biggest problem for BA so you can use DC, invictor warsuits or other units to clear screen.

At Second turn you can put your terminators 9 inch away from your target and sanguinary priest, ancient and astorath close enough to buff them.

You will need +2 charge and re-roll hits litanies with Astorath and Fury of the First stratagem to add 1 to hits and use Quake bolts to add another 1 to hits too.

Sanguinary priest will give you +1S so your thunder hammers will be s10 you can re-roll charge with icon of angel

Sanguinary ancient will re-roll wound rolls of 1 and with standard of sacrifice you will have 5+ FNP

So you will have 31 attacks at 2+ hit and all re-roll, 2+ wound and re-roll ones (any target T9 and below ) plus 7 inch charge with re-roll, plus 6 inch consolidate and pile in.

it makes 28 wounds to any target in mathammer so it can easily kill 3 knights or Leviathans or Centurions or what ever it touches.

Also you can wait for turn 3 to add 1 more attack and AP and you can add Sanguinor to the list to add 1 more attack and also can cast Unleash rage on them so you can add 3 more attacks so it makes 61 attack at S10 AP-4.

Every 2 terminators can easily kill 5 man intercessor squad for example.

But Terminators will have 2 main problems. First; Terminators can't attack to flyers like crimson hunters or else because they don't have fly keyword.

second problem if you hit multiple targets Quake bolts will effect only one of them.

Short move distance can be another problem but 6 inch pile in and consolidate can help this issue a little bit.

So what do you think about this combo...

I thought someone would have been write something about this combo till now but nobody did it or I couldn't find it so I hope it is good enough to make Assault Terminators useful again.

First of all the list:

Astorath 105p

Sanguinary Priest ( with Jumppack and icon of the angels) 70p

Captain in Phobos Armour ( with Quake bolts ) 99p

Sanguinary Ancient ( with Standard of Sacrifice ) 65p

Mephiston 145p

10 men Assault Terminator squad with thunder hammers and storm shields 410p

it is a 849 point blob that can kill anything it touches. so you can add this to your army with dc and some scouts and even some tactical warsuit.

So how it works:

Terminators, sanguinary priest and sanguinary ancient will be in the sky. Astorath, Mephiston and Phobos captain will be on the table.

You can put Phobos captain to the middle of the table so you can use Quake bolts when needed and Astorath should be near where you will deploy your terminators.

İf you go first you can run DC and send Astorath with wings of fire so he will be close enough.

Screen is biggest problem for BA so you can use DC, invictor warsuits or other units to clear screen.

At Second turn you can put your terminators 9 inch away from your target and sanguinary priest, ancient and astorath close enough to buff them.

You will need +2 charge and re-roll hits litanies with Astorath and Fury of the First stratagem to add 1 to hits and use Quake bolts to add another 1 to hits too.

Sanguinary priest will give you +1S so your thunder hammers will be s10 you can re-roll charge with icon of angel

Sanguinary ancient will re-roll wound rolls of 1 and with standard of sacrifice you will have 5+ FNP

So you will have 31 attacks at 2+ hit and all re-roll, 2+ wound and re-roll ones (any target T9 and below ) plus 7 inch charge with re-roll, plus 6 inch consolidate and pile in.

it makes 28 wounds to any target in mathammer so it can easily kill 3 knights or Leviathans or Centurions or what ever it touches.

Also you can wait for turn 3 to add 1 more attack and AP and you can add Sanguinor to the list to add 1 more attack and also can cast Unleash rage on them so you can add 3 more attacks so it makes 61 attack at S10 AP-4.

Every 2 terminators can easily kill 5 man intercessor squad for example.

But Terminators will have 2 main problems. First; Terminators can't attack to flyers like crimson hunters or else because they don't have fly keyword.

second problem if you hit multiple targets Quake bolts will effect only one of them.

Short move distance can be another problem but 6 inch pile in and consolidate can help this issue a little bit.

So what do you think about this combo...

The biggest problem is 2 fold. 1 getting past screens and 2 being tarpitted.

The footprint of 10 Assault Terminators is already huge. And they still suffer from -1AP weapons. Because 1 in 3 wounds is damage. What makes Sanguinary gaurd better is they can fly and jump over screens and attack the unit they need to. The same goes for VVs or DC.

Effectively everything Assault TDA can do, there are 3+ units that do it better and more reliably. If you miss your 8" charge or get tarpitted everything else will kite Terminators because they are so slow on foot. You have 1 chance to do what you need. The quake bolts aren't worth the relic when you really need the deny overwatch more. And unfortunately BA are relic hungry.

And they pay a premium for them. 3 CP for 3 relics is more expensive than 2 CP for 3 relics by codex astartes.

You also run the risk of someone auto passing morale or infiltrators/phobos captains with the vox keeping you outside of assault distance.

Ive been toying with the idea of a massive termy blob for some time.  I think the additional combos are great.  The priest/icon/hate litany was definitely on the list - quake bolt is a nice addition too- but difficult to work in, as noted. 

I say run it! See how it goes- just build the army to kill as much chaff as possible so screens are cleared. 

Pound-for-pound TH/SS Termies are still one of the beefiest melee units around, especially against non-MW damage.

That being said, I think this setup is a bit heavy compared to running similar options that are a bit lighter (in cost or due to jump packs). I’ve toyed around with the idea as well, but I would go 2x5 man squads or 1x5 in addition to PF Sang Guard or such. But that’s just me.

Honestly, nobody wrote about it because Sanguinary Guard fill the same role for less points and more utility (thanks to Jump Packs). It's not that it's terrible, it's that we have a better alternative.

I agree sanguinary guards more agile and fast with their jumppacks but they will be slaughtered after their first turn fight because they have no invulnerable save. They get evey ap damage so they never be as durable as terminators.

In the end they both great units I think and they both have different use. I will try both in time.

Yea 2W 2+/3++ is still an excellent stat line, even in this scary new world of Mortal Wounds. I think the drawback to TH/SS Termies is the same it's always been: they are slow to footslog and any vehicle for them jacks up their cost and the bullseye painted on it. Deep Striking is still a bit of a dice roll even with +1 or +2, so there's that. In this world of shooting their great defense can still be whittled down fairly easily. SG w/ a 3D6 +1/2 and/or re-rolls to charge just get stuck in so much more reliably, and in this meta that is a trade-off that seems to be well worth it. 

I do wish that SG had an invul, but if you back them with SOS then they at least get the 5+++ which can help massively. You can also cast Shield of Sanguinius on them if you have a librarian close enough

Shield of Sanguinius was dope in the Index when it was 4++. Considering it’s a single cast on a single unit...and isn’t +1 to existing....that doesn’t seem outrageous.

Is it only me that finds it funny how quickly this topic turned into "why Sanguinary Guard are better than Hammernators"? Like we only have 1 choice. Take them both. We are the Blood Angels after all, and fitting in as many elite assault units into your army as possible is the name of the game. I have only recently gotten my Hammernators built, but so far have had great success with them in 3 games. I find them to be an excellent anvil that the rest of the army pulverizes the enemy against. The combination of my Sanguinary Guard, Vanguard Vets and Hammernators all hitting the enemy army on Turn 3 has led to 3 straight victories.

If you think you can't have your cake and eat it too, rethink you lists. After all, aren't Blood Angels in their element ripping and tearing and not sitting back and shooting with Bolt Rifles...

Is it only me that finds it funny how quickly this topic turned into "why Sanguinary Guard are better than Hammernators"? Like we only have 1 choice. Take them both. We are the Blood Angels after all, and fitting in as many elite assault units into your army as possible is the name of the game. I have only recently gotten my Hammernators built, but so far have had great success with them in 3 games. I find them to be an excellent anvil that the rest of the army pulverizes the enemy against. The combination of my Sanguinary Guard, Vanguard Vets and Hammernators all hitting the enemy army on Turn 3 has led to 3 straight victories.

If you think you can't have your cake and eat it too, rethink you lists. After all, aren't Blood Angels in their element ripping and tearing and not sitting back and shooting with Bolt Rifles...

They are excellent marksmen. Living longer than other astartes they have longer to train their marksmanship.

The biggest concern goes back to being able to move after the initial drop. Sure, setting up a teleport homer helps mitigate being stuck in one spot but it has to be within your own lines and you run the risk of it being destroyed by forward scouts/infiltrating units.

I don't recommend putting a squad in a storm raven either just because you run the risk of it blowing up and you rolling a 1 or more 1s.

Thunder hammer TDA is very scary when you can get them into combat, the biggest thing is getting them there. Now this is a little better now that advancing is always a minimum of 2 rather than 1 if you take BA. An 12" move for Terminators on an advance is pretty awesome and I have a ton of assault Terminators, and want them to be good. (They really need 3 wounds)

They are excellent marksmen. Living longer than other astartes they have longer to train their marksmanship.

The biggest concern goes back to being able to move after the initial drop. Sure, setting up a teleport homer helps mitigate being stuck in one spot but it has to be within your own lines and you run the risk of it being destroyed by forward scouts/infiltrating units.

I don't recommend putting a squad in a storm raven either just because you run the risk of it blowing up and you rolling a 1 or more 1s.

Thunder hammer TDA is very scary when you can get them into combat, the biggest thing is getting them there. Now this is a little better now that advancing is always a minimum of 2 rather than 1 if you take BA. An 12" move for Terminators on an advance is pretty awesome and I have a ton of assault Terminators, and want them to be good. (They really need 3 wounds)

Totally agree, Storm Ravens are a huge point sink and I have never seen one do anything of note other than get blown out of the sky and take models with it. For me, that Turn 3 teleport strike has been clutch with the terminators. By that point, the DC and VV have taken a nice chunk out of the enemy and the Sanguinary Guard coming down turn 2 has the opponent on the back foot. Terminators become the final blow. I will admit, I mostly play Orks with shooty lists that castle hard at my FLGS, so the movement thing isn't as much of an issue when everything is clustered in one nice little pile to chew through.

• 2 weeks later...

10 man assault terminator blob you say?

I've been running this for a while now, not because I think it's the most viable or competitive idea in the world but a) terminators are the coolest b) it's hello fun and c) terminators are THE coolest.

I like to run two 5 man squads for flexibility, it makes charges a little more manageable and gives you the option of pinning units in. I also like to run a terminator captain and librarian in there too for buffs and added hilarity- It's a big point sink, but giving all those guys an extra attack, rerolls, and a relic or two... I've yet to try a terminator ancient (do those still exist?) but good lord can you imagine the cheese.

Niw, all of this is not without its downsides. The main one is finding a worthy target- It's a lot of points sunk into one thing, and unless the target is something seriously beefy it's almost definitely overkill. Which obviously leaves your army lacking in other areas. The other problem is that they're just not as reliable as you would hope- without a better option than deep striking, you can easily fail that charge and get stuck slowly trudging towards an enemy who just casually walks backwards out of range. You have to make sure other units are in place to cut them off, or get in their back line to begin with. And of course,that 3++ is just never what you need it to be either.

So I'm gonna say go for it, they look great, but don't say you weren't warned ;)

That could be fun to try then.

One big disappointment I forgot to mention in my earlier post is the way chaplain litanies work. Terminator chaplains deep striking in with a big blob and then using their +2 charge would be amazing, and considering that these are arguably underpowered/overcosted units to begin with it wouldn't exactly be unfair.

It's not like it can't be worked around, but it feels like the kind of synergy another army would just be allowed no questions asked, because it'd be fun; whereas with Blood Angels, a lot of our tasty strategies always have to involve some janky, overly game-y workaround.

So I've had some success dropping in 8 normal terminators turn two. I've played 6 games at local RTTs (5-1) with em.

I've been running them with straight PF/SB. I put them with a Lieutenant with a TH and Icon of the Angel. When they come down turn two I stack Tactical doctrine with Strike of the Archangels. (Reroll all hits, and ones to wound from the lieutenant at -1ap shooting and PF goodness in the assault) With Icon they all have a 71% chance of making the charge. Now I did whiff the charge that one game I lost, so it does hurt when that may points fail to deliver in the assault phase. The rest of my list was pretty much a filled up Brigade with the usual stuff. Not a bad choice imho if your try and play to thier strengths.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Klazien

So I've had some success dropping in 8 normal terminators turn two. I've played 6 games at local RTTs (5-1) with em.

I've been running them with straight PF/SB. I put them with a Lieutenant with a TH and Icon of the Angel. When they come down turn two I stack Tactical doctrine with Strike of the Archangels. (Reroll all hits, and ones to wound from the lieutenant at -1ap shooting and PF goodness in the assault) With Icon they all have a 71% chance of making the charge. Now I did whiff the charge that one game I lost, so it does hurt when that may points fail to deliver in the assault phase. The rest of my list was pretty much a filled up Brigade with the usual stuff. Not a bad choice imho if your try and play to thier strengths.

What else did you bring to fill out your brigade? Ironically our fast attack options are lackluster

What else did you bring to fill out your brigade? Ironically our fast attack options are lackluster

I actually love both bike options to fill out a brigade.

I actually love both bike options to fill out a brigade.

Well for the My brigade Capt. Smash, Mephiston, LT Smash, 3Intercessors, 3 scouts, 2 invictors, SG, Termys, 3 bikes, 3 elemiators. Bikes have been ok turn 2 onwards if they live.

Edited by Klazien