New(ish) to Necromunda - save me from myself

Raktra

How you doing there fellow young people, it's me, a hip and young person.

Anyway, crap jokes aside, I do need help. I bought into Necro heeeaaaavily when Underhive came out, but literally had no chance to do anything with it since then, but now opportunities are rearing.

I have no books other than the original core rules, and I wanna do Goliath as I've two/three gangs worth of models and a sump-kroc on sprue sitting waiting. Rather than jump right into a "what's an instant win" kinda thing, can you guys help me in avoiding some pitfalls, poke me the right way and tell me what books would be prudent purchases*?

*House of Chains is a given.

Welcome to the Underhive fellow young and hip dude! (seriously, that comment made me laugh, if only because according to your profile you're only two years older than I am :lol:)

Well, if you only bought the original core rules, the things you NEED to get for Goliaths is two things: the updated Necromunda: Core Rules and Gangs of the Underhive.

As to pitfalls to avoid, Goonhammer had a really good write-up. Basically, the biggest pitfall for Goliaths is focusing SOLELY on melee. You have access to pretty decent shooting, including having bolters and heavy bolters in your House Armory from the get-go.

Cheers for making me feel old Raktra. If you have the option I would get some of the rulebooks in digital format because having the search function is great to quickly find a weapon trait rule or something that pops up as you play. 

Cheers buckaroos, I’ve got the article bookmarked for future reference. Time to pop the sprues out.

That article is now partially out of date. It still has some good stuff in, but once you've finished reading it have a read of this one which covers the updates from House of Chains. There's another House of Chains article due tomorrow as well that is going to go more in-depth, so that's something else worth reading.

Something that neither article covers is how outclassed they are by Corpse Grinders. Not only are Corpse Grinders absolutely brutal in melee (more so than Goliaths), more importantly they're scary. And Goliath's don't like scary things. Basically, everything but the Corpse Grinder Juve has some variant of have to pass a Willpower test to attack them. For their gangers, it's just melee. For their Champs and Leaders it's melee and shooting. Goliath have really bad Willpower, so will fail most times. If you're going to face them regularly, you'll need some kind of plan.

In short, you gotta remember that Goliaths have guns too, and nasty ones at that. You can't have your entire strategy be "punch stuff until I'm just punching red concrete". Sure, Goliath's are good at punching, but it's not the only tool in their arsenal. With Corpse Grinders, it pretty much is, and so they're better at it. It's literally their day job.

Welcome to the Underhive fellow young and hip dude! (seriously, that comment made me laugh, if only because according to your profile you're only two years older than I am :laugh.:)

*Puts down bottle of Second Best, lifts up eye patch, rubs eye, replaces patch on the wrong side* 

Juves, Juves everywhere... Throne damned kids think they are hard yet all they do is sit around posturing drinking Moloko Plus... 

Cheers buckaroos, I’ve got the article bookmarked for future reference. Time to pop the sprues out.

That article is now partially out of date. It still has some good stuff in, but once you've finished reading it have a read of this one which covers the updates from House of Chains. There's another House of Chains article due tomorrow as well that is going to go more in-depth, so that's something else worth reading.

They actually updated the initial page the day after you posted your comment :biggrin.: They added the stuff from HoC, It's up to date again to currect meta.

They actually updated the initial page the day after you posted your comment :biggrin.: They added the stuff from HoC, It's up to date again to currect meta.

Yeah, that's the new article I was expecting in my last post. They mentioned that it'd be coming in their first House of Chains article. Unless they've updated since I read it at the start of the week, there's still no mention of Corpse Grinders being Goliath's worst enemy.

Edited by Toxichobbit