Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First images of Dark Angels with Green armor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Harleqvin

Harleqvin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,267 posts
  • Faction: The Order (Dark Angels)
Hey, everyone.
I’m hoping someone can help me out, looking for first images from GW with Dark Angels armor being painted green. I have Angels of Death 2nd ed codex, but I’m sure there were published images before that. Thank you all in advance.

ETL_03_Custos_Fidei_Vow_01.jpg Redemption... One heretic at a time. My DA conversions on FB My works on FB My B&C DA Pre/heresy WiP

apologist

apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,965 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

Interesting question. The transition between RT black and modern green probably happened fairly gradually; and I'd be inclined to guess that the change occurred as the Space Hulk expansion Deathwing was being developed. Prior to that, there wasn't really much info on the various Chapters, to be honest.

On a quick skim, the first green Dark Angel I can find is WD132, which has a green-armoured Dark Angel scout (p35), though in an advert for the Terminators and Tyranids box in WD133, the sergeant was still black armoured.

WD133 also had an advert for the Space Marine painting set, which included the four 'big Chapters' of the time. At this point, Salamanders were still the 'green option' (though still with their cool pattern).

BY WD137/138/139 (I'd have to check), Dark Angels were 'officially' green, presented in a colour panel alongside Blood Angels and Ultramarines. 

• Harleqvin and The Ergonomic Enginseer like this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 21,616 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion
From a text standpoint, the change happened during 1st edition (Rogue Trader era). In the Deathwing expansion to the Space Hulk game, the Dark Angels wear black armour - both the power armoured troops as well as the tactical dreadnought armoured troops (the change to white happened as a result of the story in that book). That expansion was published in 1990. In the Genestealer expansion, which was published in 1991, the "Terminators of the Deathwing" wear white while "other Dark Angels wear dark green armour." No images of green-armoured Dark Angels are shown in that book since Space Hulk focuses on Terminators.
  • Interrogator Stobz, Harleqvin, The Ergonomic Enginseer and 2 others like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_14910_14794.png

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,345 posts

Isn't the infamous story of paints being called the wrong name, with Dark Angels Black accidentally being produced as Dark Angels Green? Or is that just a myth?

gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

apologist

apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,965 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

Isn't the infamous story of paints being called the wrong name, with Dark Angels Black accidentally being produced as Dark Angels Green? Or is that just a myth?

Just a myth. Same with the idea that Blood Angels were once orange - again because of paint names. There was a Blood Angels Orange paint, but it was formulated in order to highlight Blood Red.

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars – Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Harleqvin

Harleqvin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,267 posts
  • Faction: The Order (Dark Angels)
Swingin’ on that info, apologist and Brother Tyler
Those WD’s and that spot for the Genestealer expansion seem somewhat things I need to look at procuring.
Now something to look about on is when did GW start having publication mentions of The Fallen.

Edited by Harleqvin, 20 February 2020 - 08:53 PM.

ETL_03_Custos_Fidei_Vow_01.jpg Redemption... One heretic at a time. My DA conversions on FB My works on FB My B&C DA Pre/heresy WiP

Spottswoode

Spottswoode

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Fists

I'm not absolutely sure, but the first time I remember it was from this (dated 1990): 

wd130p084x-02.jpg

Obviously the marines on the back are in Deathwing white, but the cover clearly shows them as green. I've heard stories that they were supposed to be Salamanders but the artist made a mistake, although I can't see how the art would have been released if that was the case.

There was also this, which I *think* came from around the same time (possibly the Compendium or the Compilation) which clearly shows them in green:

early-marines-paintschemes.jpg

The very basic level of the art suggests it was early in the release life of the Mk VI armour, as well as the fact the Blood Angel in black armour "has taken the infamous blood oath" rather than being part of the Death Company which were introduced in 1993.

So my guess would be one of those two, from sometime around 1990 / 1993.

Edit - the linked picture keeps breaking, but you can see it here in this review of WD 129 https://recalcitrant...ot.com/2016/07/ That also dates it to September 1990)

Edited by Spottswoode, 23 February 2020 - 06:04 PM.

• BrotherAtrox likes this

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,123 posts
From what i learned DA turned from black to green during the First edition of Epic (that was callef Space Marine if i Remember right) and the story about the Fall of Caliban and the fallen was invented later
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Fierce Bear

Fierce Bear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 159 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
I love that art, black but with a tinge of green, it's the root of my green wing scheme now.. try and make them almost appear black from a distance...

Well.. y'know it's never perfect ;-)

JJD

JJD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,035 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
The same art work on the strike force was the box cover art for the game Space Marine epic released 1989. It is to my knowledge the first time Dark Angels picked up a hint on green.
  • Fierce Bear likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users