Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2k Blood Angels Competitive

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

Hey all, been a while since I wrote a 2k list (recently I've struggled to find the time for full 2000 point games so I've mainly been playing lower point values) but I put this one together with a view to putting together a competitive force, potentially looking at getting into the ITC circuit later in the year. Opinions greatly appreciated!

Vanguard

HQ

Lemartes – 100

Elites

9 Death Company w/Jump Packs, 4 Power Swords, 2 Power Fists, 2 Chainsword, Thunder Hammer – 212

8 Sanguinary Guard w/Power Fists, Angelus Boltguns – 232

Sanguinary Ancient w/Power Fist, Angelus Boltgun – 73

9 Sternguard Veterans w/Special Issue Boltguns – 126

Battalion

HQ

Captain w/Angel’s Wing, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield – 143

Captain w/Jump Pack, Thunder Hammer, MC Boltgun – 136

Captain w/Relic Blade, MC Boltgun – 86

Troops

5 Scouts w/Missile Launcher – 75

5 Scouts w/Heavy Bolter – 65

5 Scouts w/Combat Blades – 55

Heavy Support

8 Devastators w/Armorium Cherub, 2 Lascannons, 2 Missile Launchers – 199

Battalion

HQ

Mephiston – 145

Librarian Dreadnought w/Biomantic Sarcophagus, Meltagun – 154

Troops

Basically the Scouts act as a forward vanguard to absorb fire and take objectives early on. The foot captain is intended to sit back with the Sternguards and the Devastators to provide a base of fire for the army. Lemartes and the Death Company stay back in deep strike, with the idea being to bring them in turn 2.

The turn one attack consists of the two Smash Captains and the Librarian Dreadnought. The Libby Dread will advance up the table using Wings of Sanguinius and the Quickening, whilst the Smash Captains will use Forlorn Fury and Upon Wings of Fire to get into position.

Meanwhile Mephiston and the Sanguinary Guards (plus the ancient) advance up the board behind them ready to engage on turn 2. When turn 2 arrives Lemartes and the Death Company drop down to join them, giving the initial assault a full reinforcement to keep up the pressure. 

Of course there are risks with this approach, as the Sanguinaries and Mephiston will be exposed to a turn of opponent's shooting/counter-charge. However, any effort expended at them isn't going into the two smash captains and the libby dread, and vice versa.

One thing I have noticed when playing versions of this list at lower point values is that it can withstand going second very well as much of the power of the army lies in characters, who are easy to protect from your opponent's initial onslaught.

I'd be very interested to hear what people think of it!

"They are the sons of the Angel, the blooded host, the defenders of Humanity. They are strength. They are nobility. They are the Blood Angels, and I say to you there are no more loyal or determined servants of the Emperor alive today."

The Unseen

The Unseen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,522 posts
  • Faction: Charnel Guard
Seems solid
Only point I don't like is that Mephiston and Librarian Dread dont really work well together, they both want the same powers.
I'd pick one or the other and bring a different character, either a priest to heal your characters or a chaplain dread for some hidden lascannons.
Your going to struggle to crack armor outside of punching it, so stuff like bezerkers in rhinos would eat this list alive.

I'm not personally a fan of running a bunch of smash captains, but I know it works for others.
  • Karhedron likes this

"For the Emperor and Sanguinius! Death! DEATH!"

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,792 posts
  • Faction: Carmine Blades
Your list doesn't have the capability to weather Iron Hands. You're going to give up Head hunter too easily.

Your scouts are going to give up kill more and you have no real synergy with your army. 9 sternguard with no delivery isn't going to help you do anything. You've already filled the requirements for the vanguard. I would drop them and the scouts for intercessors with autobolt rifles and power fists. Or possibly just bolt rifles.

You have 3 captain's but they aren't optimized to do the same job. I would take the thunder hammer off the bolt rifle and remove the third captain all together and substitute for powerfist + stormshield followed by jump pack priest.

I'd make scouts as cheap as possible since they die so easily in this edition and give almost no bonuses to the competitive scene.

What is your goal with this list? The biggest strength is the single guard squad. The DC are kind of all over the place. I actually like axes over swords because if they make it to turn 3 you're able to wound MEQ/PEQ on 2s and it's still AP -3.
  • Drunken Angel likes this

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 51 posts
A few thoughts, some already covered;

- Lib Dread and Mephiston fill the same role and want the same powers ... I would keep just one or the other
- Sternguard are not worth the points investment and are too slow to get up the field alive without transport
- Your scouts are cannon fodder, any MEQ will kill them all

I would:

- Drop the Sternguard
- Drop at least three units of Scouts
- Drop the Lib dread
- Shrink your Devastator unit
- Add three 5-man units of Intercessors, ideal loadout is Auto bolt rifles and sergeant with power fist
- Add some armor, maybe a Contemptor or an Invictor to add some firepower. Invictors are great in CC but are squishy, Contemptors are great at AT with lascannon loadout

Not sure if the points balance out there. If you have points remaining you could add some Vanguard Vets or replace another Scout unit with Intercessors or something.
  • Drunken Angel likes this

Drunken Angel

Drunken Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 658 posts
  • Faction: Blood Guard

What he said. Intercessors with Auto bolt rifles in cover are very hard to shift (10 wound power fist troops model that shoots 12-24 Bolter shots?)  The Invictor/Contemptor is good or a Redemptor.  Probably the Contemptor is best as it has a 5++ and doesn't need much in the way of buffs.

The Unseen

The Unseen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,522 posts
  • Faction: Charnel Guard
I'd disagree on scouts being poor.
Nothing is better for the cost at early board control.
They are squishy, but most of the time your opponent has bigger worries than your scout squad hiding on an objective.
And they're cheap enough you don't care if someone goes out of their way to kill them.

Also, is everyone forgetting bolter discipline on sternguard?
They have a 30" range double tap if they don't move. So perhaps not the best choice, but they certainly don't make an awful home field objective holder's, since if deployed forward get 6" into the enemy deployment with their guns.
  • Drunken Angel and tychobi like this

"For the Emperor and Sanguinius! Death! DEATH!"

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,792 posts

They are squishy, but most of the time your opponent has bigger worries than your scout squad hiding on an objective.
And they're cheap enough you don't care if someone goes out of their way to kill them.

They have a 30" range double tap if they don't move. So perhaps not the best choice, but they certainly don't make an awful home field objective holder's, since if deployed forward get 6" into the enemy deployment with their guns.

You start to care when your scouts give up kill more every turn. Yeah they are cheap, and they never do anything except lose you the game. Good players take their small arms fire to them early. Like stalker bolters that can't target out multiwound models get free kills.

Yeah they are decent smite screens but I don't know the last time my scouts did *anything* in a game let alone a competitive one. I usually take a squad to help fill out a battalion but never more than 2 squads because they Re so poor this edition.

Sternguard need a drop pod or rhino to be worth it in this list. And they have no synergy with the rest of the army. Your better off taking a las tac squad that sits in the backfield taking pop shots at things than wasting that many points on a midfield unit that's a prime secondary target that is easily shot off the board by reapers, TFC etc.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten, 26 February 2020 - 11:41 AM.

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

You start to care when your scouts give up kill more every turn. Yeah they are cheap, and they never do anything except lose you the game. Good players take their small arms fire to them early. Like stalker bolters that can't target out multiwound models get free kills.

Yeah they are decent smite screens but I don't know the last time my scouts did *anything* in a game let alone a competitive one. I usually take a squad to help fill out a battalion but never more than 2 squads because they Re so poor this edition.

Sternguard need a drop pod or rhino to be worth it in this list. And they have no synergy with the rest of the army. Your better off taking a las tac squad that sits in the backfield taking pop shots at things than wasting that many points on a midfield unit that's a prime secondary target that is easily shot off the board by reapers, TFC etc.

Surely there's a limit to how many times the Scouts can give up Kill More in a game? After all once they're dead they can't be killed again. In any case, I've found Scouts to be absolutely vital in basically every game I've taken them in. In fact I can't think of a single game recently where they let me down. Even if they do all die on turn one, that's only 390 points gone and it means my opponent wasn't shooting at more important stuff. At the end of the day killing 30 minis across 6 separate units, especially when they're in cover, takes a concerted effort.

I do understand that Sternguards aren't a massively competitive option, but they have 30 inch shooting and the idea is that they are buffed by the foot Captain and by Masterful Marksmanship to provide some backfield fire out of cover. With the advent of Bolter Discipline they have generally served me well in this role.

"They are the sons of the Angel, the blooded host, the defenders of Humanity. They are strength. They are nobility. They are the Blood Angels, and I say to you there are no more loyal or determined servants of the Emperor alive today."

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,792 posts

Surely there's a limit to how many times the Scouts can give up Kill More in a game? After all once they're dead they can't be killed again. In any case, I've found Scouts to be absolutely vital in basically every game I've taken them in. In fact I can't think of a single game recently where they let me down. Even if they do all die on turn one, that's only 390 points gone and it means my opponent wasn't shooting at more important stuff. At the end of the day killing 30 minis across 6 separate units, especially when they're in cover, takes a concerted effort.

I do understand that Sternguards aren't a massively competitive option, but they have 30 inch shooting and the idea is that they are buffed by the foot Captain and by Masterful Marksmanship to provide some backfield fire out of cover. With the advent of Bolter Discipline they have generally served me well in this role.

The scouts depend. If you're are playing against Iron Hands, they are easy targets to pick off. It's doubtful you are going to kill more against multi wound targets with an army wide 5+++ backed by smite screens and either TFC or a Leviathan dread and 2 to 3 Chaplain dreads. They are just too resilient. Against Imperial Fists the TFC or centurions are going to outlast your army and have prime targets that won't be hard to take out. Eldar just have the outranged weapons and triple air raid that are mobile and take over the midfield. Not to mention they have their webway drops backed by a strong psychic presence. 

6 squads of scouts will be taken out in turns 1 and 2 usually 3 at a time, while taking out the majority of your backfield by outranging you and obscuring LoS. + screens. Your DC depending on if you Forlorn fury or not does matter, and if you get Attacker for a guaranteed turn 1. charge. But after the initial charge if successful you units are still going to be blown away leaving you with a hopeful turn 2 for SG and that will basically be all you have left. Now obviously there is more to this than that, that's why we play the games. But Ultimately ITC taking away seizing makes that turn 1 so much more brutal. However; going 2nd allows you to deploy based on how your opponent deploys but with LoS ignoring ordance from things like Space Marines it's going to be a very tough up hill battle.

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

Hey all, hope it's ok to resurrect this thread. Recent changes in circumstances have made certain... options... more available to me. With that in mind I have written a new list. Please take a look and let me know what you think!

Vanguard

HQ

Lemartes – 100

Elites

7 Sanguinary Guard w/Power Fists – 203

Sanguinary Ancient – 72

5 Death Company w/3 Power Swords, 2 Power Fists – 120

Battalion

HQ

Captain w/Angel’s Wing, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield - 143

Troops

Scout Squad w/Heavy Bolter – 65

Battalion

HQ

Librarian Dreadnought w/Meltagun – 154

Captain w/Relic Blade – 86

Troops

Scout Squad w/Combat Blades – 55

Heavy Support

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought w/2 Storm Cannon Arrays – 303

Explanation

The role of the foot captain is to sit back with the Leviathans and buff their shooting as much as possible. Meanwhile the Scouts will do their bit to capture objectives on the first turn. I do take the points you guys have made about Intercessors but I'm a huge fan of Scouts for their deployment rules and I imagine I can use the ITC terrain rules to protect them from a lot of incoming fire. Also with the new nerfs to the Devastator Doctrine it will be harder for lists like Iron Hands to simply blow them away in 2 turns.

The two smash captains and the Librarian Dreadnought will all go for turn 1 charges. Wings of Sanguinius/The Quickening for the Dread, Forlorn Fury for one Smash Captain and Upon Wings of Fire/Descent of Angels for the other. Then on turn 2, Lemartes, the Death Company and the Sanguinary Guard will arrive to reinforce.

I agree about choosing between Mephiston and the Librarian. Running them both has been fun but they do compete for the same powers and in the end I decided that, given how whichever one I choose they're likely only going to have one, maybe two turns to do their thing, the more reliable damage output of the Librarian Dread won out.

It's a command point hungry list but I think it works pretty well. It's definitely stronger than the first one I put up.

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,792 posts
Points are a little off. Unless you've give the Sang Ancient a pistol should only be 63~65.

Relic blade captain should be 83 with just bolt pistol and relic blade.

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

Points are a little off. Unless you've give the Sang Ancient a pistol should only be 63~65.

Aha well spotted. Forgot to include the Captain's Master Crafted Boltgun. Misread the Sanguinary Ancient's entry. List doesn't change much really, just now have the points to give the cc Scout sergeant a power sword.

Edited by t-dog1996, 04 March 2020 - 01:33 AM.

DistractionTacMarine

DistractionTacMarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 51 posts
I would swap one of those Leviathans for a quad las contemptor Mortis or even a lastalon repulsor for anti-armor. Quad las contemptor is only 168 points which could open up some options as far as adding additional DC/SG or swapping scouts for Intercessors. Alternatively you could swap the dreads, and that gives you 135 points ... you could add in a Chaplain with Catechism of Fire to buff whichever dread (probably the Contemptor first and then the Levi) and a Techmarine to repair any wounds. That still leaves you with a few points to play around with wargear options or add a model or two to a squad.

... or you could add some Intercessors. I know we’re a broken record but Scouts die so easily. Intercessors in cover are fantastic at holding objectives, they’re tough, and they’re good in CQC. Scouts are a good unit with a lot of value, but six squads in a relatively shooty list is tough.

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,792 posts

Aha well spotted. Forgot to include the Captain's Master Crafted Boltgun. Misread the Sanguinary Ancient's entry. List doesn't change much really, just now have the points to give the cc Scout sergeant a power sword.

Just remember that puts your scouts in the legends bracket and may disqualify them from being tournament legal.

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

Just remember that puts your scouts in the legends bracket and may disqualify them from being tournament legal.

Uh, does it? Blood Angels Codex says "the Scout Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol with an item from the melee weapons or pistols list". The power sword is listed there. I was under the impression that Legends was for index only options?

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,456 posts

The role of the foot captain is to sit back with the Leviathans and buff their shooting as much as possible.

Just a thought, maybe swap the Captain for a Lieutenant as he is cheaper and provides the same percentage benefit. The Lt buff can also be stacked with "Wisdom of the Ancients" on one of the Leviathans so you can reroll 1s both to-Hit and to-Wound at the same time.
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,792 posts
Oh I thought they removed that since none of the kits have those options available.

My mistake. You should be good. I would still be wary of it though.

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts

Ok guys, take no.3! Let me know what you think :) 

Vanguard

HQ

Lemartes – 100

Elites

8 Sanguinary Guard w/Power Fists – 232

Sanguinary Ancient – 64

Battalion

HQ

Troops

Intercessors w/Bolt Rifles and Grenade Launcher – 86

Scout Squad – 55

Battalion

HQ

Captain w/Relic Blade and MC Boltgun – 86

Troops

Scout Squad – 55

Incursors – 95

Incursors – 95

Heavy Support

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought w/2 Twin Lascannons – 188

One question I do have with regard to the Incursors is whether the Haywire Mine is worth it? Tbh 10 points seems like a lot for a 1 use item, not to mention the fact that I would have to drop a Sang Guard in order to take them.

Matarno - Lord of Skyfall

Matarno - Lord of Skyfall

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Ok guys, take no.3! Let me know what you think smile.png

Vanguard

HQ

Lemartes – 100

Elites

8 Sanguinary Guard w/Power Fists – 232

Sanguinary Ancient – 64

Battalion

HQ

Troops

Scout Squad – 55

Battalion

HQ

Captain w/Relic Blade and MC Boltgun – 86

Troops

Scout Squad – 55

Incursors – 95

Incursors – 95

Heavy Support

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought w/2 Twin Lascannons – 188

One question I do have with regard to the Incursors is whether the Haywire Mine is worth it? Tbh 10 points seems like a lot for a 1 use item, not to mention the fact that I would have to drop a Sang Guard in order to take them.

Seems like a small unit of DC to be taking while also taking Lemartes. You have only 5 DC with a character that only buffs them, while effectively having 9 Sanguinary Guard. Seems to me that either increasing the DC unit to an optimal size (15) to take advantage of Lemartes OR swapping out Lemartes for a Sanguinary Priest to buff the Guard and heal them or bring them back would make the most sense.

So fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users