Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

UPDATE +++++
Ignore the idea of 40K editions this army is compatible for the most part with editions 2 - 8 (8.5) Nothing strictly legal here. 
I was really irritated a few months back and thought maybe I should close this thread and call it quits. This week I find myself neck deep in building more models. 
The new direction starts on page 15. At this point the reason for this thread is so that I can cornicle what I am doing with this pile of models and maybe share a battle report or two from the earlier editions, I am not expecting to play 9th proper with the new codex and have no idea if I will feel 10 fits my army.  I more or less plan to do my own thing as far as games. So this is a hobby thread for the most part now. Feel free to skim these first 15 pages and have a look at how it started. That's it.

Link to first new active post. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello!
Things have started, explained in post 8 or so. 

I've taken almost a year away from 40K and have yet to decide if i want to get back in or not. I didn't sell my collections but I am looking for something to get me excited gain. I played Am/IG off and on over 6 edition but sold off all of my Am collection, I had way too many models and couldn't keep up with them. It had really stressed me out as I has so much I couldn't actually use it. 
But here we go again, maybe. 

Right now I am looking at the Les Grognards kit.  I like the look and for the price could have a large army assembled in not time. 
I am trying to decide just what to put into the army to get the most bang for the buck. 
So this is wish listing on my part. 
Right now I am thinking that I don't want a lot of vehicles as I don't enjoy painting them and my previous collection was stuffed full of them. 
So maybe a few artillery vehicles but I am thinking majority infantry. But I am also thinking about a Knight or two to keep the vehicle count low and because I have never built or painted any Imperial Knights before. I might even be open to allies from Mars just because they are models I have never built and painted before. 
The problem i am looking at is currently this line of mini's has no heavy weapons or cross compatible minis I could use with GW heavy weapons to make HW teams although Cadian missile launchers may be a possibility. And thinking about it now mortars may be possible as well. I will also have to shop around for bits to assemble officers, banners and staff. 

Each kit has 24 mini's in it.  How much of a poor choice is it to field an army build around mostly lasrifles and bayonets? 
Aside from the time t will take to roll that many shots? 

As far as regiments I am not sure which regiment this army will represent on the table. 

The only other thing I am considering is rough rider squads is anyone using those anymore?  

It's early days still I have only been thinking about this for a week or so. I saw these models on FB in the INQ28 group and had to find out more about those mini's. 

Les_Grognards_Box_Cover_web_1800x1800.jp

A day later I stumbled across this video.

Any input would be helpful starting a new army is a big decision and I'd be glad to get your opinions.  

Edited by Warhead01
Change of direction.

The models look nice, cheap Guard squads with just lasguns is fine - their main job is to hold the line after all. You will need some form of heavier fire power though, or you'll struggle against armour and the like. So you might need a decent artillery contingent to fill this gap, but that's fine as you're just making an artillery company right? ;)

Humm. I'm not exactly sure.  I can get 10 boxes of infantry, that looks like the best deal, and that's 240 models. I see conscripts are 3 points a model, unless the codex points are out dated but 30 conscript blobs is looking desirable so at least 90 of those, maybe more. ( which book has the most current points changes? 2018 for AM? )
If I buy tanks I am thinking Basilisks at l east 3. Maybe a Deatstrike, possibly 2. Maybe quad launchers and heavy mortars, Have to read up on how those work now. 
I feel like I am giving ground on the very few vehicles idea... Considering at least 1 chimera, maybe 3. But keeping the vehicle count to a minimum is very important to me.  
My armies are art projects as much as they are armies. 
The big difference I have in mind this time is to have a plan and stick to it. So I will put the list together before I commit to buying anything. If you remember what my collection looked like several years a go...no more of that. Looking back through my blog it looks like I got out of IG back in 2013... Seems like just the other day. 

I think this is all rayray's fault we were talking about paint the other day. Go figure. 

Humm. I'm not exactly sure.  I can get 10 boxes of infantry, that looks like the best deal, and that's 240 models. I see conscripts are 3 points a model, unless the codex points are out dated but 30 conscript blobs is looking desirable so at least 90 of those, maybe more. ( which book has the most current points changes? 2018 for AM? )

If I buy tanks I am thinking Basilisks at l east 3. Maybe a Deatstrike, possibly 2. Maybe quad launchers and heavy mortars, Have to read up on how those work now. 

I feel like I am giving ground on the very few vehicles idea... Considering at least 1 chimera, maybe 3. But keeping the vehicle count to a minimum is very important to me.  

My armies are art projects as much as they are armies. 

The big difference I have in mind this time is to have a plan and stick to it. So I will put the list together before I commit to buying anything. If you remember what my collection looked like several years a go...no more of that. Looking back through my blog it looks like I got out of IG back in 2013... Seems like just the other day. 

I think this is all rayray's fault we were talking about paint the other day. Go figure. 

conscripts cost 4ps each now and can ignore orders (you need to roll a 4+ if you want your order to take effect). you should take chapter approved 2019 if you want to know the actual point cost of your units (or use battle scribe).

That said it always depends how you enjoy plaing: casually, semi-competitive, competitive.

If you like to play casually take whatever you want, it's not important if you want a fluff army. Semi- competitive requires some compromises, but you can take some core meta units and then add whatever you like (more or less). If you want to play competitive, mono guard is not that great anymore, but you can have decent results nonetheless.

I don't know if i'm right but i think that deathstrikes are limited to 1 per list in a matched play (I'm probably wrong).

As your said is a good idea to plan your list before buying your models (or at least I do like that), and you could also try tabletop simulator with a friend to test your lists before purchasing what you need.

I'm not playing very competitively. Juat with a group of 4 or 5 friends when I get to play. 
We lay team games and Maelstrom of war or just what ever mostly. we play matched play I think. We've never sat down and talked about it we do use points.
I am leaning towards a 2000 point list. 1 Deatstrike s fine, sad if they are usually more limited. Not sure if this will be mono guard but it will be majority guard. 
The other thing I was aiming at was building a list that would need very little change if we played an earlier edition but that's another thing my group has yet to decide to do. Most of them are still new to 8th edition
I am going to see what I can pull from FW's Imperial Armour as well. I recall tarantula weapons platforms for some reason I know Space Marines have rapier weapons platforms and thought I saw mention of those for AM as well. 
Thanks for the input so far. Very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still looking around for mini's and may have something I like. 
For conscripts I am considering the both of these sets of miniatures. Crimean War Russians from Warlord games and Wargames Foundry
The problem, for me, with just using the mini's from warlord games it the lack of extra poses for the miniatures. But Foundry has several options I would consider to add variety, I really wish they were in plastic!
The third part of this "problem" is to fins matching heads/helmets which I think I have found from Victoria Miniatures. Currently undecided, there are lots of heads in the set from Atlantic Games. Or as another option I am open to the idea of green stuffing gas masks. 
I was very happy to see ow many options there are from Victoria miniatures. At this point I am leaning towards "storm troopers" and conscripts, conscripts being the bulk. It depends on the miniatures. I would still like an infantrymen model with easily matched heads that I can use with heave weapon crew parts from Victoria Miniatures.  There is a lot still up in the air still.  

Update. 
I placed my order for 2 boxes of Victrix - Napoleon's Middle Imperial Guard. (VX0016)  60 models per box! 
This will give me 120 infantry bodies to start with.  It was a difficult decision These may take a month or two to arrive as they are shipping from Italy, we'll see what happens next. 
I found some pictures over the googles that helped me decide to jump in but armies using historical mini's are far and few. These models can take head swaps as well but I am trying to be as cost effective as I can so we'll see. I don't know what kind of project this will turn into.  

Edit. 
Given the onset of current events I took the precaution of ordering 2 more boxes. 
The second two coming from the UK.  
It's my own fault for taking too long to decide to jump back in. 

I plan to buy movement trays over the summer. 

The possible issue I am unable to solve so far is what am I to do about an officer core?  I guess that's a problem for a few weeks from now when everything arrives. 
I was also tempted to buy an Imperial Knight today as well but I know I need to wait until next month, or May for that matter.  

Edited by Warhead01

It took all day and some of yesterday to find helmets with gas masks that I like. 
Part of me wants to attempt to sculpt helmets with gas masks to "save money' But I also realize it probably won't save any money or any time. 
I found French  Adrian Helmets with Gas mask's sold in packs of 20. Bookmarked for later. I've already spent way too much today.  

I guess next I need to look for artillery I've had no luck finding a deathstrike so far. No rush, I am sure it will turn up. 
I'm super excited. It will be difficult to wait from the models to arrive. 
But I feel like I have a plan, even if it's not a good one. 
Next month I will also need to find a huge bag of 25MM bases. I've seen those on Ebay. 

Oh, almost forgot I need to start panicking about my inability to choose uniform colors.  Expecting drab grey and olive green with leather straps. What could go wrong. :biggrin.:

A plan is always better than none, and something you can work on to improve :smile.: Start with what you have and go from there :thumbsup:

I got started with what I have last night.

med_gallery_3442_16212_127415.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_73923.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_30018.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_89698.jpg

Not amazing but it's a good start. I tried this on 5 models. the one in white primer was the first the one in black was number five.

These turned out a lot better than I expected.

Small progress.

First one of the models from yesterday with some paint to get a better look at what's going on.
med_gallery_3442_16212_100106.jpg

I had another go at one of the other that I didn't post. I removed the helmet rim and crest and did those again.
I smoothed out the rim where it meets the head covering portion of the helmet, much better.

sml_gallery_3442_16212_50530.jpg sml_gallery_3442_16212_44049.jpg sml_gallery_3442_16212_128701.jpg

I have one more mini to work with today. One more attempt.
I have figured out the process I think. Now I just have to get good at it. This has been super encouraging I will likely sculpt all the helmets and masks now. I am also thinking about a poncho but have to think about that further.

Update.
The mini's from the UK have shipped!

Does anyone use a Castilian Knight with their AM?

Still riding that crazy train.
Update.

wip green stuff poncho.

med_gallery_3442_16212_157370.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_2654.jpg

It may seem obvious but remember to sculpt the poncho before the gas mask.
And just like that aside from doing a better job I think I'm done with the green stuff until my kits arrive.
Not sure how the poncho idea will work the mini's in the kit have long coats. If anything it can be shoulder length and more like a chemical hood, part of the gas mask, with the helmet over the top of that. We'll see. I like the poncho idea maybe for veterans or something. I'll probably fool around with a camo pattern just for fun. This one is just a proof of concept so I can mess around as much, no problem.

I was told by a friend today that the Vitrix mini's are brittle plastic so hopefully I didn't make a huge mistake. But we'll see.
I am going to have to locate some plastic rods and tubes to construct the grenades and I was thinking about a plastic canister at the base of the mask instead of green stuff.

I guess taking so much time off from the hobby was a good idea after all. Things are just coming together and I am not really having trouble or forcing my ideas. If you understand what I mean.

This project has thrown me down a rabbet whole of sorts. Today I learned that the WW1 French uniforms were a light blue, horizon blue. I had known they were blue but didn't know why. Seems it was thought that the blue would keep them from being silhouetted against the sky. Interesting. 

Thinking about the rifles I will have to convert.
I may have some plasticard I can use to construct magazines from. That and some green stuff to make the magazine well and bulk out the musket/rifles may work. It's an idea any way. 
Also, Looking at the gas masks the french had what looks mostly like a bag with goggles attached to it. Not really like what I have tried to sculpt and I may just go with something that looks more like what they had rather than what i have done. No exact plan yet. The point of the masks is, in this case, is to make the infantry more unsettling almost ghoulish as they advance across the table. I guess what ever looks unnerving will work.

I found a Castilian Knight this morning at the lowest price I could've image and had to snatch it up.  
It's already built with most of the extra plate left off for painting!  This was what I had hoped to find! 

Just caught up with the thread, looks like you have been busy! I like the green stuff work you have put in, if you plan on doing more I recommend you try using milliput. Its a dirt cheap alternative to green stuff and I find it is much easier to use, way less tacky/sticky.

In regards to the models, it may not be necessary to convert little magazines onto each one. There are many different patterns of lasgun out there and they can all look wildly different. If you go back and look at the old metal guard models, the lasguns didn't have pronounced mags. Also there is such a thing as a bolt action las gun, its called a laslock. They are well established in the fluff and they might suit your regiment fluff to be armed with them.

Hope that helps!

This project has thrown me down a rabbet whole of sorts. Today I learned that the WW1 French uniforms were a light blue, horizon blue. I had known they were blue but didn't know why. Seems it was thought that the blue would keep them from being silhouetted against the sky. Interesting.

Sounds like :cuss. Maybe contemporary :cuss but French uniforms were a darker blue for a over a century earlier so they probably wanted to keep the traditional colour. I'd almost guess that there was an argument about switching from the traditional blue to camoflage and someone came up with a nonsensical compromise.

On the other hand is it in keeping with how theoretical and impractical other ww1 attempts at camoflage were.

I may have some plasticard I can use to construct magazines from. That and some green stuff to make the magazine well and bulk out the musket/rifles may work. It's an idea any way.

Also, Looking at the gas masks the french had what looks mostly like a bag with goggles attached to it. Not really like what I have tried to sculpt and I may just go with something that looks more like what they had rather than what i have done. No exact plan yet. The point of the masks is, in this case, is to make the infantry more unsettling almost ghoulish as they advance across the table. I guess what ever looks unnerving will work.

I found a Castilian Knight this morning at the lowest price I could've image and had to snatch it up.

It's already built with most of the extra plate left off for painting! This was what I had hoped to find!

Pretty sure no one has ever bothered with accuracy over aesthetics for gas masks. German inspired helmets with non-german gas masks is a pretty common villain design trope.

No, but Castellans were souped into pretty much everything so I've seen them at tournaments. AM was generally considered the best fit but I never got to top tables so only had to fight Castellans in marine lists.

They got nerfed hard but should still be very playable especially when you can bring a lot of other stuff due to guard being cheap. Bring two Helverins with the Castellan and you even get CP for the detachment.

Edited by duz_
Don't dodge the swear filter

Just caught up with the thread, looks like you have been busy! I like the green stuff work you have put in, if you plan on doing more I recommend you try using milliput. Its a dirt cheap alternative to green stuff and I find it is much easier to use, way less tacky/sticky.

In regards to the models, it may not be necessary to convert little magazines onto each one. There are many different patterns of lasgun out there and they can all look wildly different. If you go back and look at the old metal guard models, the lasguns didn't have pronounced mags. Also there is such a thing as a bolt action las gun, its called a laslock. They are well established in the fluff and they might suit your regiment fluff to be armed with them.

Hope that helps!

I have seem Miliput but had forgotten about it. I'll have a look. Putty and round bases are the next thing I plan to buy for this project. 

Laslock's sound like an easier way to go the big thing I want is that the rifles have the right look to fit with 40K. Granted even in 40K there are muskets but I want to do better than that. I do like the idea that the lowest level of troop I have has the worst equipment.  

It's already built with most of the extra plate left off for painting!  This was what I had hoped to find!

Pretty sure no one has ever bothered with accuracy over aesthetics for gas masks. German inspired helmets with non-german gas masks is a pretty common villain design trope.

No, but Castellans were souped into pretty much everything so I've seen them at tournaments. AM was generally considered the best fit but I never got to top tables so only had to fight Castellans in marine lists.

They got nerfed hard but should still be very playable especially when you can bring a lot of other stuff due to guard being cheap. Bring two Helverins with the Castellan and you even get CP for the detachment.

Gas mask aesthetics of course and being able to fairly consistently reproduce them is what I am interested in. 

The big reason for the Castilian is that I kinda want to avoid building and painting tanks again. For the money I think this was an outstanding purchase. This army wont ever see a tournament just games with friends  so it doesn't need to be the most competitive. I also don't want it knocked out too early. I was joking with a friend that I was going to field 8 full squads of conscripts. Probably wont do that. 

Much as I want to avoid tanks I think a few of them my be unavoidable. 

Sounds like :censored:. Maybe contemporary :censored: but French uniforms were a darker blue for a over a century earlier so they probably wanted to keep the traditional colour. I'd almost guess that there was an argument about switching from the traditional blue to camoflage and someone came up with a nonsensical compromise.

On the other hand is it in keeping with how theoretical and impractical other ww1 attempts at camoflage were.

Right you are! 

I have been discovering a lot about WW1 that I'd never known or thought about. The Dark blue uniforms seemed to be a hold over from earlier military tradition, as best I can tell. Dark blue coats with red pants and hats, or hat band which ever it was. Germany had a lot of the same uniform problems in a way. I am mostly amazed at the changes that were made during the war over something like 4 years, due to necessity. It's quite interesting. It is a little silly as well that some one may have decided a light blue would do the trick. The reality may have had more to do with manufacturing, no idea but possible. 

Clearly nothing I post about WW1 is meant to be taken as authoritative. It's just what I've read and seen as best I understand it. 

I am tempted to try to find out about French tanks but I haven't even looked. I recall some black and white photos from a history book or something I may have seen many many years ago at best. The larger issue for me is making sure the models are at the very least close enough to the right size and does it look the part. 

I am tempted to try to find out about French tanks but I haven't even looked. I recall some black and white photos from a history book or something I may have seen many many years ago at best. The larger issue for me is making sure the models are at the very least close enough to the right size and does it look the part. 

Leman Russ are already pretty close to the main interwar French tank, the B1, with some details from the British mark 1.

The Forgeworld Mars Alpha pattern Leman Russ's unique features look kind of like the WW1 Renault tank which is the first turreted tank.

Leman Russ are already pretty close to the main interwar French tank, the B1, with some details from the British mark 1.

The Forgeworld Mars Alpha pattern Leman Russ's unique features look kind of like the WW1 Renault tank which is the first turreted tank.

I found some wonderful turrets from Blood and Skull industry. I may just use a Russ for everything I can, Hell hounds and RBT's. Looking at the possibility of taller tracks on a chimera to fit what I have in mind but all of that is a month or two down the road, after the artillery is bought. 

Update.

My Cheese factory has arrived.. I mean the Castilian Knight. Super pleased. It's already built and primed grey. A little shorted than I expected. 

Such a fantastic find for the price! 

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

This morning I received tracking numbers for the two kit's coming from Italy! 
Sadly the two coming from the UK didn't have tracking but it is what it is. I expect those to arrive fairly soon but between both orders it feels like a turtle race.

Very little progress on the Knight. The under body has been primed black and had 3 metallic dry brushings and a black wash. The carapace plates got the same and a brown base coat on the flat areas. No further progress. Still looking at images online for color ideas. 

I found I still have a lot of kneed tight putty in some containers I bough years ago and will be checking to see if they are still in a condition to use, if so lucky me. Have to see if there's a way to bring them back from the dead if need be. Maybe some water. I'm sure there's a tutorial online somewhere. 

I know some liked them for being able to receive orders, but that was some time ago. I think the carriage Earth Shaker rules may be a bit out of date perhaps, have these been kept up to date along with their points?

Oh wow.

At first glance it looks like your right. I will have to check the faq's.

Although it looks like only a few orders would work on them. Might be worth buying one or two after all. 

Sadly the faq, page 6, says no they can't use orders.

Edited by Warhead01

After waiting for what seemed like forever. My first two boxes have arrived.

gallery_3442_16212_25566.jpg
It's going to be interesting. These models are I guess a true 28MM model and over all are smaller than GW infantry but the same height as far as I can tell. I wish I had a Kriegsmen to compare them against.
Sadly I seem to be out of glue. Yikes!
I may have enough to tack 2 or 3 of these troopers together but I need to take this slow and start figuring out the green stuff sculpting I want to do. I plan to start with the chest plate armour. This has to be put on very thin to leave arm clearance. It may also rule out 3rd party heads but I plan to do a lot of digging... sorry. I've been into the DKoK memes last night.
The good news is that any tanks and artillery should be correct enough in size as not to matter all that much. Early days still.
For conscripts I think these will work fine for Guardsmen not so sure, I might want them larger and to change their kit a bit.
This could turn out very very cool or very very not cool. :teehee:

Early update.

gallery_3442_16212_203958.jpg

First impressions. They are defensibly "lighter bodied" than some GW mini's but not that out of size with some others. I can live with that.
I'll be ordering 200 25 mm bases shortly.
I had hoped to do leg wraps but am not sure it's something I can do yet. Will have to trim off plastic and rewrap with a layer of green stuff. We'll see.
Next step is to try my hand again at gas masks on the above trooper. Will try to work out a helmet after that, or maybe I should try to do the helmet first?
I will think about that for a bit.
I had been looking at AddMec infantry rifles for these plastics but not sure about the weapons swap and differing models sizes yet. I know someone did it with I think perry miniatures but not sure how that will work with these.

Edited by Warhead01