Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

They are supposed to scary the opponents, so they do that right :smile.:

And it is still more effort than the robes/skirts I have done to cover my legless troopers (using sprue bits to serve as a base for the greenstuff).

They will certainly look really nice painted.

Legless? so you had extra torsos and arms in you bitz box... I like it. I had never thought about fake-ing in lower bodies like that. Good plan. 

I always have trouble with green stuff cloth. Capes, robes all that.  The longer it gets the more trouble. Very tricky. 

I think before this project the most I had done with green stuff were some Orks arms. I had some work that needed done to my warboss back in like 03' or 04' to get him a power klaw.

and I did a bunch of  Death Guard about the same time green stuff on everything and made some weird chaos spawn but all of that is gone now, sold that army years ago. 

I need to make some really really clean and crisp gas mask for the WW1 French dudes when I get them, something to really show the difference between the conscripts and the professional soldiers.  which is funny to say now having done the Storm troopers already... oops. 

The war continues! 

And it is still more effort than the robes/skirts I have done to cover my legless troopers (using sprue bits to serve as a base for the greenstuff).

Legless? so you had extra torsos and arms in you bitz box... I like it. I had never thought about fake-ing in lower bodies like that. Good plan. 

As I said nothing really great, but here is an example: https://imgur.com/unq4N5A

I had some spare torsos and cut up the sprue structure in bits and used it to serve as base to give the height and then I covered it with green stuff and made some minor adjustments.

The old cadian sprue is actually great for this as the connections are quite wide and almost as thick as the legs themselves. I am big fan of reuse, so I will make more such conversions, hopefully my skills improve and it will look better.

Bodies are the most difficult to find in large quantities, so I have lots and lots of heads and arms to spend in conversions (especially heads with grognards and such).

As I said nothing really great, but here is an example: https://imgur.com/unq4N5A

I had some spare torsos and cut up the sprue structure in bits and used it to serve as base to give the height and then I covered it with green stuff and made some minor adjustments.

The old cadian sprue is actually great for this as the connections are quite wide and almost as thick as the legs themselves. I am big fan of reuse, so I will make more such conversions, hopefully my skills improve and it will look better.

Bodies are the most difficult to find in large quantities, so I have lots and lots of heads and arms to spend in conversions (especially heads with grognards and such).

It works! 

My only thoughts were to see the feet. Which I think you could do. just trim some sprue to feet/boot shapes and layer it over with a little green stuff and let it dry before you move on the the long coats.  At least that's what I'd do. Heck, it's all about how they look after their painted according to one of my friends. 

Keep it up! 

It works! 

My only thoughts were to see the feet. Which I think you could do. just trim some sprue to feet/boot shapes and layer it over with a little green stuff and let it dry before you move on the the long coats.  At least that's what I'd do. Heck, it's all about how they look after their painted according to one of my friends. 

Keep it up!

That makes sense and I am not running out of sprue anytime soon, so I can certainly make some feet/boots especially with some of the rounder bits of sprue.

Thanks for the suggestion :smile.:

Edited by GreenScorpion

Heavy weapons are looking good, I didnt think the mortars were that big. :biggrin.: Im getting some for sure now. 

Oh for sure! those Mortars are huge! I love them and I hate them. :sweat:   I do wish they were just a little smaller. 

Update. 

The current batch of conscripts is up to4 colors now more to do. I'm going to try to get the legs painted today. This unit is large enough to feel like it's taking forever. 

I think my god friend is driving up on Saturday for a horse trade and a game. I am offering to provide all the armies so he doesn't have to bring his up and if he accepts I want the try to put My Freedonian Assault Core on the table. I'm thinking 1500 points of either 8th or 9th and some made up objectives to help us get through the game as neither of us has played a whole lot in a year. I've only played 3 games of 9th and I feel 8th will just be easier when it comes to dealing with the rules. 

We'll probably play power levels as well to get to the kickoff time a little quicker. 

The most difficult thing about all of this is making sure I have enough terrain.  The terrain interactions and rules is a big reason to play 8th as well. It should be easier on my diy terrain. 

Unfortunatly my terrain will look very very bad but it can't be helped. I don't think I can make a new tables worth of terrain in 5 days.......... :whistling: (Yes, now I want to try.) 

The war efforts continue, 

Looking forward to it!

I do too. sadly my friend wants to have a hobby day and has asked me to help him magnetize all of his bases for the army he is buying from me. It's probably for the best really, my terrain just isn't up to snuff right now. I went into my workshop and looked around and just ended up cleaning out some trash and what not, the place is a wreck.

The only other constructive thing I've managed was to set up 2 more trays of foam so I can pack the heavy weapons now.  So I will try to get the Guard out for a game when I can.  I hope that's sooner than later. My BA's are just easier to take on the road so I'll have to set something up so I can specifically take out the guard. 

My time for games is also running out as we're very busy in the spring. With luck my usual Scrumgrod* can find the time to drive down for a game over Spring Break.

If so the Guard will see the table for sure. 

Scrumgrod - a hated friend or favorite opponent, in this case a friend I've been playing 40K with for almost 20 years. You can see his army in my recent battle report in the Blood Angels subforum.  He's pushing either scions or Am + Knights or a list with far too many Ogryn in it. 

I've been working on terrain all week. I'm up to 10 or 11 terrain features now.
Unbelievable. 
None of it is finished right now. I'm still building. Today I bought 1 gallon of white glue and a large bag of sand. The sand will have to dry for a while before I can use it. The glue cost a lot more than I remembered but I haven't bought a gallon in maybe 10 years. So I'm set until I'm 50....

This is a post full of links to pictures of terrain I like, very Inq28/Necromunda. I'm still working out how this will transfer over to the table for 40K.

I want a set of insane top shelf terrain, or as close as I can get. 
If the stars align I may commission some terrain from a local dude in May. It is my hope he can build, texture and primer and then I can finish it. I'm planning  to have some chats with him as I can and start to save up the money to pay him.  He's offered to make a table full of terrain "on the cheap" already. That kinda kick started my own terrain making.
I'm also bookmarking GW terrain I like to use in these projects. no idea just what will happen yet. I just want a table full of madness.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the terrain idea. I've scrapped the heavy industrial stuff for now or at least moved it to the back burner for a bit. 

20210317_130911.jpg

I've made a lot of ruined buildings and plan to make more over the next few weeks. although they should probably start to get smaller...

you can see more pictures here.

Nice job on the terrain! The Knight was a good idea for scale purposes!

I’d definitely make some smaller options to mix it up a bit.

I completely agree. I found some old razor wire I make years ago, it's on posts set in lengths of maybe 5 inches long by just over in inch wide. some are much longer. 

I think that will fit nicely and will try to bring it back to life. 

I bought more bases, the smaller clip boards, and will try for a few low ruined building, sized way down to maybe 3" tops. I can imagine some earth works as well though I am not a fan of above ground trench works as such. I just think it looks bad. But I think I may try to come up with something even if not dug out. I'll want artillery emplacement spots. I'm also thinking about blast craters. 

I have to find a few more of the large clip boards there were none to be had the other day. 

I'm partly thinking about ruined buildings where the first floor, about 4" up to the second, is all rubble so we're left with just a shell above that as a sort of hill.  I'll think about that one for a while. 

I think the trenches would work if you had something around it to make them look like they are underground (or excavated into a hill or something), but otherwise I agree they typically look out of place if just placed at the same level as regular buildings.

Edit: One option for trenches would be to have the entire play area built as an elevated position with the thick and cheaper insulation materials and leave small areas to fit your trenches/dugouts inside. Your playing surface would still be flat and support your other buildings, but this way you could have some trench works that look reasonably ok. Obviously this is closer to making a full game table than just making so random terrain, but if you divide the insulation materials into sectors, you could make it modular enough to be changeable as you wish, so that the trenches are not always at the same place.

Edited by GreenScorpion

Exactly! - to your edit. 
This is part of the issue. where am I going to keep it after I make it. because it's so much easier to build as a complete table or as several tile sections. If I had the place to keep it I'd surly do it!  I can see some trench works set into a big hill, very thematic for sure.  If it's to be I'll figure it out. haha.

Todays terrain progress looks like this. 
Low ruins/area terrain 2" to 3" tall walls. wip

full spread. 

20210319_174258.jpg

2" for light cover and 3' for heavy cover?  
Obstacles also mentions ruined walls but this all feels like area terrain to me right now. I'm searching for bases that are no wider than 3" in width and I will probably make them no bigger than 3"X5"  or there about. I think that's wide enough to keep them from easily being tipped over.  But it depends on what I find to use. the material is out there some where. 
I have loads of old GW barrels, ammo crates and all kinds of stuff even the old tank traps from the 3rd edition boxed set. ( lots of that. ) I found window screen for chain linked fence as well.  I am trying to sort out what would make a good wooded area with out being woods. 

Defiantly more terrain soon. this is loads of fun to make super easy so far.  (even though it's not top shelf...) 

That looks nice :)

Out of curiosity, how are you making the stones on the floor? Are you using bits of the same material as the walls?

On the bases, I know in Europe there are suppliers providing lots of mdf base sizes (even custom if desired), so that would be one option to check in your area, as there might be similar suppliers, especially if there are lots of historical players. If you have good wood cutting tools buying a large mdf/hdf piece at a DIY store would typically be cheap enough and you can use any spare bits for terrain and stuff. If there is any cheap source of picture frames close to you, that might work also, if you get the relevant size of frame, as the back is typically a reasonably thick piece of mdf or similar materials. Should be enough to avoid tipping over.

That looks nice :smile.:

Out of curiosity, how are you making the stones on the floor? Are you using bits of the same material as the walls?

On the bases, I know in Europe there are suppliers providing lots of mdf base sizes (even custom if desired), so that would be one option to check in your area, as there might be similar suppliers, especially if there are lots of historical players. If you have good wood cutting tools buying a large mdf/hdf piece at a DIY store would typically be cheap enough and you can use any spare bits for terrain and stuff. If there is any cheap source of picture frames close to you, that might work also, if you get the relevant size of frame, as the back is typically a reasonably thick piece of mdf or similar materials. Should be enough to avoid tipping over.

I bought a 35 lb bag of paver sand for about 4 dollars from a big box store. (Lowes probably.) I was looking for sand box sand but was in a bit of a hurry. I thought all of these texture sized would be a problem. I'm still not sure. I may use a strainer to sift out the larger bitz to set aside...should probably have already done that.  

I bought the cheapest bag I could find.  Sand box sand is much better as it lacks the large chunks of texture. So it's better for walls and floors inside a building. More options with that stuff. This stuff is al over the place. it bothers me a little bit but it's not the end of the world.  One thing I would have liked to have done but didn't plan ahead at all on these, would have been to cut tiles from card board boxes and glue them in in a few places on the floors. sort of like paving stones. It'd something I usually do but for some reason skipped this time. I could probably go back and put them in. maybe. 

I have some MDF sheets around and was hoping to avoid running the saw it's only a few dollars for a 24"X24" section in the stores. I should stop being lazy and run the saw. 

So here's a question. Obstacles, in the rules let units with in 3" interact with their rules. so should I put them something like centered with a 3" base a; around or just on a base big enough and not worry about it, we will just measure. any thoughts on that? 

You may sift the sand but I actually think the bigger chunks look nice, as if they are rubble from the walls and I actually thought it was entirely intentional. I am typically not a fan of how overused ruined buildings are, so I often dislike the concepts, but as I said they look really nice and given your progress I would say they are easy enough to reproduce in quantity which is often good for large sets of terrain.

I do agree about the over use. I had hoped to go in a different direction but also found myself in a rush, hopeful a friend can swing by for a game some time this or next month as I am more or less stuck at home until may. Spring is our busy season, can't be away for more than a few hours at a time and games are an all day event when not at home. 

I'm thinking about flooring of some kind. I have plastic card that looks like sheet metal and some other materials I might use. 
I do hope to transition my collection toward the Inq28 industrial in the long term. Something weird and wild is what I really want. I think that will just take as long as it takes. 
Even some of thee ruined buildings can be repurposed to become something new so it's not really a loss.

I'm still a bit at odds with terrain in 9th. it feels like it has more rules but really less rules.  I used to enjoy the old 3rd or 4th edition city fight rules and may fall back to house ruling all my terrain some of 9th's stuff can become convoluted.  A unit on a terrain feature 6" above the table could have it's los blocked by a 5" terrain feature, unless I am not understanding correctly. and I hope that is the case. 

Oh, if I hadn't mentioned all of the walls are made from 1/4" foam board that is used as building insulation it comes in a huge bundle. I think I bought this maybe 10 years ago and still have lots to use, it's maybe 4" by 20 feet, something like that,  and folded into a 4X2 package. It's been super cost effective. 

One way to avoid the ruins being too much, if you look at the entire thing one day and think you over did it, is to mix them up with buildings that are scarred by war but not ruined, like fortifications that were made to avoid blasts or that odd religious building that miraculously survived the previous battles. The mix helps demonstrate that despite the ruins you are still fighting over something of value, at least in my mind.

Plasticard looking like metal floor should look nicely on an industrial area, as it fits the classic design of most futuristic or retro-futuristic settings.

Styrofoam boards are nice and typically cheap. My family is going to re-tile our old farmhouse so I actually have some boards that came with those tiles, as well as some bits and pieces from a previous attempt from my father to insulate the roof, which ended tragically when a storm caused the small tent he was using to cover the car from the sun to rip off part of the tiles and threw styrofoam hundreds of meters away from the house. Luckily we went away and the area is isolated enough that no one got hurt.

I also find that DIY stores are a good source of most materials for terrain and even for things like basing and such.

Most of my ideas change over time, the good thing is you can always improve what  you are doing at a later stage, if you don't feel happy with it.

Update.

Well today was the big day. 
I ordered 3 of these.

124261488_1814256195388634_5409826462333

I has quite the surprise after the currency conversion. I paid less than I had expected! Huzzah! 
I'm also starting to look for heavy mortars and quad launchers. I figure 2 Heavy mortars and 1 quad launcher. Or a carriage Medusa proxy, or all three. 

I've thought about the Carriage Earthshaker but I'm not sold on it yet aside from looking very very cool. 
Deathstrikes were always in the cards. I'm very excited.

Update.

I got the shipping notice today and was sent some kind of coupon code that I have until the end of May to use. 
If these are as nice as I think they will be I might order some troop transports using that code. I am still in need of transports as it turns out. 
I don't expect shipping to be very fast given the state of the world just now, it's just how it goes.