Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

I'm still working on terrain. Just made a game mat that is 44 by 90. It's textured and painted. I'm planning to mark it off into thirds for each game size. 
20210406_112135.jpgJust have to color match the terrain bases a little more.

Also working on some other buildings. wip.

20210406_162121.jpg

There's another smaller one but no pictures just now. 

Also, tracking says the Death strikes are in the US now!  Hopefully that gets them here next week if not sooner.  I'm looking forward to those. 

Edited by Warhead01

Really nice work and it is nice to see how dynamic your units look like when combined with the terrain, especially with the banners :smile.:

Just out of curiosity, how did you make the game mat?

The Game mat is fairly easy. You'll need the following. 

Felt cloth cut to the length and width you want.

Geesoo for acrylic paints.

A few large, disposable brushes 

Sponges, could be from anything.

Craft paints, colors of you choice. 

Start by applying the Geesoo to the fabric, start in the center and work towards the edges. It helps keep it away from your clothing... The Geesoo will be watered down, it's like very thing paint or glue but I mixed min in a plastic cup with water. I squirted some from the bottle to the fabric and then went over that with the thinned down Geesoo water wash to spread it around. Work it in ever direction to get it into the material. 

Once the fabric is covered let it dry for a few hours, till dry or as dry as you want it. The n paint it. I added paint to my Geesoo from the start, in my Geesoo water cup as a bit of an experiment.  Once it's dry and ready for paint you can paint it as thick or thin as you want. I put on washes of dirty water, paint and even dry brushed at one point.  If I had chosen a different color fabric The painting would have been a bit different as I would have used less paint and been working with the color of the fabric instead of against it/over it. I also used some sponge material to apply some of the rust colors but later went back over that with my concrete/pavement color using a brush. I wanted everything a little darker. 

Just pick a hand full of colors you like for your bases and match them to the fabric. 

The other think to know is that you don't exactly have to do everything at once. You can work in spots or in steps, just one color at a time is what I did but I did that over a whole day to let spots dry in the sun for a while so I could move on. I think that was because of the paint water getting into spots where there wasn't any Geesoo. Didn't hurt anything. 

This was very easy to do the Geesoo was maybe 8 or 9 dollars the fabric under 20 and the paints, big bottles about a dollar each so another 5 of 6 bucks. Disposable brushes come in value packs of 3 or 5 or what ever for a few dollars. this whole project effectively cost me nothing, expect to spend maybe as much as a Leman Russ... or less! 

Hope this was helpful. 

If I do another one I'm thinking about maybe a Jungle or something very dark, like a muddy field. I'll pick either a dark green or a middle brown for my jungle floor. For the field I'll pick a dark Brown or a brown green, dark and ugly colors for the battle field floor. 

I'll work in lighter colors over the top of that which will use a bit less paint or at least be less work because I wont have to cover everything in Geesoo. In theory. 

I may also make some stencils for cobble stone  or bricks that I can spray on, a light grey over a dark grey or what ever is appropriate. 

I will also use a scrap I have to see if I can add flocking and sand textures and then try to roll it to see what the effects of that look like. 

If that works then there's yet another bit to add to the other mats I have in mind. 

Thanks, so essentially you make the cloth more resistant to water and easier to work it and then you paint it as desired.

I might do something similar to make the floor for my planned fortified town.

My mom has used some felt and other materials in the past to make some flowers that she learned to do on a training.

There are soft plastic sheets of some sort that she painted over easily (they are sold similarly to felt but I am not even sure what they are made of), so I might go with something like that and paint over based on the town layout or something similar.

It can be clearly seen this was customized for me :D

IMAG0881

Thanks, so essentially you make the cloth more resistant to water and easier to work it and then you paint it as desired.

I might do something similar to make the floor for my planned fortified town.

My mom has used some felt and other materials in the past to make some flowers that she learned to do on a training.

There are soft plastic sheets of some sort that she painted over easily (they are sold similarly to felt but I am not even sure what they are made of), so I might go with something like that and paint over based on the town layout or something similar.

It can be clearly seen this was customized for me :biggrin.:

You sort of have it. think of Geesoo as primer. It's use on canvas for painting.  I had tried to paint this very same fabric over a year ago and it did not work very well at all. It stained a little but that's all. I had also watered down the paint I was going to use and pushed it through my air brush at the time. It hardly worked at all.  Geesoo got results. 

I don't know about those plastic sheets. If it works then that solves that I guess. lol

As far as painting went I found that my mat was too busy until I went heavy with my darkest color at the end. I think it really tied the whole mat together...

Don't forget to post yours when you get it sorted out! 

The good news keeps on coming! 
My Deathstrikes are at the post office. I can get them tomorrow. 

I've worked a deal for one of the commissions next month.

I'm taking cash and trade. I'm getting some torox transports maybe 2 Moirax for building 7 or 9 of them for my friend. I guess I am keeping 2. 
Should have an update when the Deathstrikes are in and assembled.

Did you draw the image first and then painted? It looks amazingly detailed despite the large size :)

As a side note, for reference, the plastic foam sheets I was referring to previously are called EVA foam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene-vinyl_acetate). They are light, flexible and come in different colours. It might be useful for smaller stuff you want to do, as they are easier to work with than fabric, especially to paint. I think they usually come in A2 size and might be available in craft stores or something similar.

Did you draw the image first and then painted? It looks amazingly detailed despite the large size :smile.:

Ya, I just started painting him. I started with figuring out where to put his head and painted a bit of a tan blob then in dark blue painted in an outline for the coat and went from there adding solid colors then going back to layer in more color.  I haven't painted like that vey much but I like how its turned out. 

I'll check out that foam. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My Orks got clobbered by my friends AM on Monday. I was very impressed by the AM and his list wasn't overly complicated. Ogryn are such a pain to deal with. He boxed my army into my deployment zone with a bunch of Ogryn in large squads. I'm planning a solo game of Orks vs IG here at the house in a week or two as weather allows. Maybe 1500 points aside, 8th edition to streamline the time I need to play or more like an 8.5 as neither codex uses the command phase until 9th. until we get our next codex.

Right now I am envisioning lots of conscripts, death riders stormtroopers and heavy weapons teams supported by a Malkador defender. My collection is based around massed infantry in large blobs so that's what I'll likely field. 

Word on the street is the WW1 French are days away from production. Hopefully they will be available by July? more likely September, well December any way given the condition our condition is still in. 
I've started some commission work to begin refilling the warchest. I have yet to build my Deathstrike tanks but hopefully this months during my build session for one of my commissions. 
I'm being paid in cash and trade and getting a few Torox transports for my Storm troopers. I think I need about 3 at the minimum but I believe I am getting two, or was it 4... Who knows. 
I've been thinking bout a proxy for a bombard recently. We'll see if that sticks with me or not. 

The war efforts continue.

I wish the WW1 French hurry up, its frustrating knowing they are so close and they keep releasing stuff we knew nothing about. Still, I have the time to finish my backlog before I have to do 100+ more infantry. 

I wish the WW1 French hurry up, its frustrating knowing they are so close and they keep releasing stuff we knew nothing about. Still, I have the time to finish my backlog before I have to do 100+ more infantry. 

Hold the line! haha. 

I know what you mean. I thankfully don't have your backlog this year.  

I keep reminding myself the wait will be worth it.  :sweat:

Heck I just say some new Napoleonic French from Perry miniatures with amazing hats and am very tempted to keep using Historicals ...because hats. 

Just don't know how many head I need and don't think I can justify buying those kits for heads and chance not being able to sell all the parts I wont use. 

• 2 weeks later...

some more stuff.

I finished the first two commissions and have started the third one. My friend wants to find a way to pay me in trade, or more trade. He just won a large Imperial Guard army from Ebay and has offered me a Marcarious tank but mentions the heavy mortars and Quad launchers along with 2 other third party vehicles. I don't know how much of that he is willing to give up but I am tempted to just tell him I'll take it and see if that melts his brain, maybe I'll get it all. 
His commissions is underway still in the building phase. Hope to have that finished by Sunday or sooner. Painting wont take as long as building. 

I won an AM codex on Ebay I have wanted to get hard copy for a while but have had other things going on. So I am not starting to actually dig into the book, better late than never I think. 

I have started to paint the power plant building - more terrain for my table! But it's still early stages. 
I've bookmarked a bunch of KS multi case foam to buy and had hoped to buys some shield wolf models, the not DKoK stuff but I need to balance the books. If I swing a crazy trade from my friend then I will only be ordering some ogres and a not Medusa. Possibly a not an Earth shaker as well but I really have to think on anything past the Ogres. 
I still need to leave some money set aside for the WW1 French kits but do I really? 3 boxes will be under 100 dollars for the best deal and those still seem a few months  away. 

No time to build my deathstrike proxy tanks yet. Although I do need to figure out if I am going to make another order from that company or not very soon as my discount code expires at the end of this month. 

• 1 month later...

Update.
Looks like this weekend is the weekend I build the Deathstrike missiles. 
Hope to get started on that this evening. 

Yesterday evening I continued cobbling together another scion officer. This one will be the something like a scions equivalent of a field martial. some kind of senior officer. 
I'll be honest here the actual scions HQ unit entry name has escaped me, drawing a complete blank. 

Nothing else to report just now but I plan an update with pictures some time next week after the Deathstrikes are build and painted. 

I really like how you make the different roles in your army look different, but keep it consistent to the theme at the same time :smile.:

I still have my bits for the Tempestor Prime lying around, the cape in particular really helps with giving miniatures the look of a senior officer.

Thank you.

I really blame the bitz and the paint. :biggrin.: 

I had nothing to do with it at all.  :teehee: 

I like this new one and an/was considering adding a green stuff pelt over his cape jacket. Something to really pick him out as a high ranker. I saw again the Voyrtrian first born concept art by John Blanch on FB the other day and it just clicked. I knew what to do. The only aspect of this model I don't care for are the RamJager legs. I wish I could find some proper boots for him. If I do I'll clip him and pin them on. The combat boots look sloppy too for some one of his rank.  What I really like though is the whiteish color for his hat. It really marks him out as important. 

In a way this is also similar to the DKoK Officer, who is in a different uniform than the rest of the DKoK.  

But I do go on... :whistling: 

The war efforts continue. 

The paint job and the overall conversion you did makes it a unique officer, but honestly I have always thought that the impractical use of the cape is what makes an officer particularly senior :P
Junior officers have no time to have a long jacket being used as a cape.
I also think you are a bit too hard on yourself, given how even the raumjager legs fuse so well with the rest of the parts :)

The paint job and the overall conversion you did makes it a unique officer, but honestly I have always thought that the impractical use of the cape is what makes an officer particularly senior :tongue.:

Junior officers have no time to have a long jacket being used as a cape.

I also think you are a bit too hard on yourself, given how even the raumjager legs fuse so well with the rest of the parts :smile.:

Can't be helped. haha. Just get these ideas stuck in my head! 

Excellent work on the Scions officer.

Thank you.

Better pictures when the tanks are ready! 

Update. 

Have managed to build and primer the first Deathsstrike proxy.
You can find the picture and a like a page or two back if you want more reference. 

First thoughts about the quality of this product are, that the resin/plastic has the consistency of soft cheese compared to GW soft plastic models. 
This mean you will need to plan ahead a little and be delicate with the parts during assembly. the Instructions are ok t best but not very good really. That said these are not that difficult to build. you will need to trim a off a bit of flash from the printing on a few parts. Noting too challenging there.  I did find one part would not fit into another part, the hull and a rack that sits on top. I tried to trim it to fit but this did not improve anything. I think that if this company continues model production and refinement it will be a decent or better product in a few more years. 
I would say if you have been building models for  while and are thinking about buying from this company you might be happy or at least satisfied with one or two models from them. If your completely new, I don't know. I am just a little disappointed but I can live with it, they didn't cost too much at all. 
Your mileage may vary. 

Pictures to come. 

I like your Scions Senior Officer, the skull mask and white gloves prove he’s a man of distinction!

Shame the tanks weren’t perfect but I’m sure they’ll come out well.

Thankyou! 

The second Deatstrike built much better than the first, it's a learning experience I guess. I didn't mean to sound put out in the previous post, I was trying to provide a bit of a review of sorts.

This next one went together so much nicer than the first. Primed now and ready for paint! 

The second Deatstrike built much better than the first, it's a learning experience I guess. I didn't mean to sound put out in the previous post, I was trying to provide a bit of a review of sorts.

This next one went together so much nicer than the first. Primed now and ready for paint!

Was it a matter of the previously gained knowledge with the first made it easier with the second or was there a quality difference between the parts? Just curious of how the second experience influences your initial review (if it has any influence at all).