Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

The second Deatstrike built much better than the first, it's a learning experience I guess. I didn't mean to sound put out in the previous post, I was trying to provide a bit of a review of sorts.

This next one went together so much nicer than the first. Primed now and ready for paint!

Was it a matter of the previously gained knowledge with the first made it easier with the second or was there a quality difference between the parts? Just curious of how the second experience influences your initial review (if it has any influence at all).

Mostly just what I learned from the first kit. they are delicate compared to the plastics we are mostly used to. It's a matter in some spots of how it is made via printing the thickness is some spots is thinner than in others.  It reminds me a bit of fine cast but I am not sure this is accurate. I recall fine cast being some what indestructible. My friend threw a bunch of his fc models against a will for about 15 minutes on time while we laughed uncontrollably.  It could be some of the prints are not as equal as others but I don't know about that sort of thing. 

I did minimal trimming of flash and let the glue do the work and it is mostly better than the first one after assembly. I think in my other comment I was trying to convey that new model builders may find these difficult or possibly disappointing. right now all I am worried about is, will they stay together after a few games, will they come apart, did I use the wrong glue. 

I had some trouble with the Knights commission I just did, resin glued to resin glued to plastic... But I later learned there is a good glue people like for that sort of work. Can't recall the name of it now.  

I forgot to mention I didn't wash these models, just trimmed the flash and glued them together and they took primer with no problems at all. Unlike the FW resin knights I just did up. But I used an airbrush black primer for those when my flat black paint wasn't working. That worked fine. 

I think that as long as I am a little carful transporting these Deathstrikes then they will survive well enough there are just a few parts I need to keep an eye on. 

The thing with 3d printed stuff is that the materials and the thickness of the layers will influence the resistance of the material a lot. The store says some parts are plastic and some are resin, which indicates some of the smaller and detailed parts will likely be resin, which is typically softer than most "hard plastics".
With resin cast in moulds the issue is typically the mould remover sprays they use, which require you to wash the parts because there is a fine layer of basically non sticking material to prevent the resin from getting stuck to the mould. I am guessing that was the issue with the knights and the primer.

Not to drag out the 3d printing materials too much more but it occurred to me that the models I got previously that were prints were a very very hard plastic which I think was more what I was expecting. it didn't really occur to me that there would be different materials. I think that added to my initial reaction. 

Update. The third Deathstrike is trimmed and waiting for assembly. I also found an artillery to buy on Ebay I think it will be a count as Medusa.

BL 8 - inch MK VI in 1/35 scale
It will arrive in a month or two from over seas. 
I am really looking forward to those WA French WW1 Infantry kits the wait for the pre order is taking forever! 

It will certainly be nice to see those WW1 French in the wild, the kit seems interesting and with lots of options. I can only imagine what you are going to do with them :)

Just out of curiosity, what are you still missing in terms of your intended list? (artillery, infantry, vehicles...)

Not to drag out the 3d printing materials too much more but it occurred to me that the models I got previously that were prints were a very very hard plastic which I think was more what I was expecting. it didn't really occur to me that there would be different materials. I think that added to my initial reaction.

For reference, materials like PLA and ABS are often used for printing and depending on the filament and the precision of the printer it should be very close in hardness to regular plastic miniatures or even harder. Hollowed designs or resin printed stuff will always be far softer in comparison. Like the resins used to cast miniatures which vary wildly in composition, there are many materials and mixes for printing and the properties of the printed parts can vary wildly.

It will certainly be nice to see those WW1 French in the wild, the kit seems interesting and with lots of options. I can only imagine what you are going to do with them :smile.:

Just out of curiosity, what are you still missing in terms of your intended list? (artillery, infantry, vehicles...)

Right now I think I am just missing Infantry squads, (of which I have none) a few transports but it's not that important now, and artillery. 

I'm planning to build a few special weapons teams for snipers and some combat engineers maybe. I'd like 1 thudd gun/quad launcher and maybe 2 Heavy mortars. Possibly a manticore and a wyvern and maybe 2 hell hounds, at least 1. I'm still thinking about Ogryn and have seen a kit bash in a FB group that made something like Killa Kan frames driven by Grognards which i liked. It's a neat counts as Ogryn idea.  Even with a wish list this large I don't mind taking my time to find and buy it. I really enjoy not having a pile of shame. :biggrin.: 

Granted I do still have all those WW1 Germans but I really just bought them for bitz and will need more bitz to do anything I have in mind for them. I need a bunch of shot guns in hard plastic for them.  

So the way I envision it the Freedonian Assault corps starts with the levies of conscripts who will serve for essentially their entire life. 

This explains the small feet size.

From there the survivors such as they are are moved to infantry companies and then divided again to fill all the usual units. Infantry squads, heavy weapons artillery crews, combat engineers, usually those in the ages of between 16 and 20 something. 

And from there those units will again be divided after suffering losses, reforming those squads and drawing more off to more specialized units likee a veteran squad, armed much the same as the combat engineers but serving in a different roll. The Freedonian deathsquads..er I mean scions are probably drawn from the Cavalry made up of lordlings and aristocrat youths. They are educated much more so and have more duties outside of fighting and a future to look forward to as governors and other high ranking functionaries out side of their service. Though most don't make it that far but they do get the ability to retire unlike the ranks or just shift around the bureaucracy when they are too old or no longer able to fight. It's sad but some one has to sit around smoking cigars and drinking all that delightful alcohol, really it's the best service they can offer. For the Emperor! :teehee: 

Freedonia is the major central power in the Parador subsector but it's not clear where that is galactically speaking after the rift. Which is fine, if you can't find the place you can't necessarily give them any requests for anything.  Freedonia became the commanding power after a series of local conflicts and more or less bluffed their way to victory with a pare of two's but winning is winning by an inch or a mile so they took the win.  The biggest export of Freedonia is bureaucracy, they'll swindle er.. lead , well manage anyway, anybody willing to suffer their means of governance. and most do due to the number of Freedonian forces deployed to ensure ...freedom at the tip of a bayonet if need be. It's not so bad though there is an out for any planet that wants it if they can negotiate the numerous contracts, charters and agreements and pay the nominal fine for early cancelation, they'd be left to their own devices. Fair is fair after all. 

Freedonia was delighted to join the Emporium of Man when the chance came. I'm sure it's part of some long con, if they can just et the highlords to sign a few contracts and get their friends to sub sign and so on everything will work out and they'll even give the emperor a tip on a good horse.  As you can imagine they are eagerly awaiting the a visit from Roboute Guilliman. The prospect of getting right to the top is an eventuality that hast the higher ups extremely excited. 

rumor has it there are several Freedonan agents wondering around Vengeful spirit trying to get some one to sign for a package. :whistling:

Update. 

I've started to put my first Freedonian army lists together with Battlescribe. 
My collection is too bit to stuff into a single 2000 point army! I plan to total it out again in the future. Just for fun. 
My first list is here

I need to build 2 more Scions squad leaders, 12 special weapons team models 6 with sniper rifles. 
I'm glad to finally start to get a handle on just what I have. 

It's really weird I haven't painted anything at all in what feels like a week.  

Just was the new Prussions kit by Perry miniatures over FB yesterday I am going to see how those stand up against the Victrix French Infantry I already have in size. Wondering if they are taller.  No word at all still on the disposition of the WA WW1 French infantry kit. No idea if or when those will be up for preorder. I know they want that kit to be a WW1/WW2 kit. Maybe they're still making adjustments. 
I'm very tempted to just order more Grognards and push on I want to get my Infantry squads done and have not even been abo to start yet.
Just a little tired of being at a stand still I guess. 

in other news I have, or should have a model at the post office. All tracking said it should have been there yesterday but it was not in the PO Box for some reason. Hopefully I can get this sorted today. 

Nearly edited the wrong post. :teehee: 

For reference to the infantry kits I am looking at here are two pictures.

PRU-1-small.jpg

PRU-2-small.jpg

For greenstuff I am thinking Gasmasks and maybe a lighter flack jacket stopping at the belt line with shoulder guards. Adding shovels and stick bombs. 
I'll need to get extra creative to bash up flamers, melta guns and plasma guns ect. 
Basically I'm tired of waiting on the Frenchmen.. they seem to be running what feels like a year behind schedule, and many they are, pandemic+ shipping problems ect. However, I really think these might work well enough and there's nothing stopping me from buying the other kits later. so it could be a win win for Freedonia.

Additionally I am planning to read up on Assassins and Inquisitors because I feel with my bit of silly backstory from the other post it would easily work with the theme of Freeonian police state. Any why wouldn't Freedonia jump at the chance to put their own people into such a an organization as the Inquisition. It's just a massive political win for them, having some one on the "inside". That highlord seats are just a stone throw away after that! :cool.: 

All this silliness is putting me into a bit of a good mood. 

The war efforts continue.

Edited by Warhead01

The Perry Miniatures boxes I have assembled were quite nice to build and they should scale reasonably well with Victrix or WGA historical miniatures. The sculpts might be somewhat slimmer in some cases, but should still fit with the rest.

I like your ideas for the fluff behind your regiment and their planet :smile.:

I ordered 2 boxes of each to get all the possible poses. Super affordable! Perry Miniatures are always amazing! 

Once I saw the price conversion I was in. I was saving up for Orks stuff but that ship sailed without me and IG is a lot of fun. 

Thanks. My fluff is just a bunch of Marx Brothers movies, Those guys are/were just too much! 

It is how you adapt your inspiration to the setting that makes the fluff and that is your part :)

Perry Miniatures are super affordable and go against the notion that plastic kits produced in the UK need to be expensive. In € the infantry is typically around 0.60-0.75€ per model and the cavalry is around 2€ per model, which is quite useful for building sizeable armies. In comparison, Victrix stuff in € varies from quite affordable to somewhat expensive, especially on some of their ancient period models, with no apparent reasoning for the differences.

Is importing that sort of stuff to the US expensive/slow? At the moment most things going from the UK to the EU just get stuck in customs for a random time (sometimes months), making it tricky to order. Brexit and newer EU import laws seem to have screwed the entire thing much more than covid could.

Will be nice to see those assembled, converted with greenstuff and painted :)

Is importing that sort of stuff to the US expensive/slow? At the moment most things going from the UK to the EU just get stuck in customs for a random time (sometimes months), making it tricky to order. Brexit and newer EU import laws seem to have screwed the entire thing much more than covid could.

Will be nice to see those assembled, converted with greenstuff and painted :smile.:

I don't know. I've gotten several packages from the Uk and Europe just last year with no problems aside from when Greece was completely shut down, but even those did finally show up, I'd over ordered anyway so it wasn't a problem and I was fine with loosing the money because I can understand if the shop had gone out of business because of reasons beyond their control,. But they did arrive. 

The cannon I just ordered from the Ukraine arrived in only like 5 days but was not expected until the 27th of next month. 

I've just gotten an email from Perry Miniatures telling me they are packing the models for shipping. Shipping was about 22USD but still those models at hose prices I can't cry about the shipping.  I think the EU might be having more issues with getting products from the UK than I am in the US but who can say. I think the big thing is not being in a rush. 

I need to buy more 25 MM infantry bases next.

Can't wait to see how these will turn out!  Just planning very basic Green stuff a lot like what I have already done. I think I will go with the Prussian blues but maybe some thing extra, like some camo some how.  Though I do like the solid color uniforms.  

On a related not I am looking around for cannons, not big heavy one but light to medium cannons something to proxy as several Missile launchers. I think it's a little silly to put two infantry dudes on a 60MM base. Cannons will eat that extra space and might look just right.  Fitting in with the theme. maybe. 

If you are looking for smaller cannons, perhaps something like napoleonic era artillery could suit your use case?
They would be different enough from the other IG weapons and should occupy a 60mm base reasonably well. Perry and many other historical manufacturers have those. They would be cheap and come with parts for the crew.

I have a lot of digging todo to find the cannons I want. Don't really want Napoleonic era cannons. Just an idea I am kicking around. I think I am more like to get a few Nebelwerfer 41/42's first. I have some book marked but have not placed an order yet. Maybe next month? Need to get models built and painted so I don't end up under an Imperial tone of unassembled plastics! 

Update.

Finally!
WW1 Howitzer MK VI Hard plastic kit.

med_gallery_3442_16212_8631.jpg

For now this is my Proxy Cartage Medusa I had some trouble with the kit, hard plastic was thin a little so I lot a few small bitz of extra detail.
I love that the artillery and crew work so well together.

French Mortarmen from Blot Action.

med_gallery_3442_16212_187256.jpg

We've had a lot of rain coming through but I'll get better pictures when I can.

Thank you both. 
Here are the quality pictures.

Many large pictures to see on the blog. Don't want to smush them in here.

20210729_130900.jpg

And those deathstrike missiles. 

20210729_130726.jpg

These were done with a windows 10 filter. 

Cannon%2B2.jpg     

My wife told me about these W10 filters, I had no idea there were a thing. I want to use them for battle report pictures, i like these more than the Black and whit pictures. But I feel they make the models look much better than they do irl. 

The war efforts continue! 

Haha, yep. I've been wondering what I was going to do with those Bolt Action models for a while now. 
I have another artillery idea I will start next month-ish. I love the realism of that model. And the old timey look from the filter. I think I like it more than the Black and white, which seems more washed out. I wanted a sepia and this filter was really close. 

Thanks you! I'm looking forward to finally getting this army on the table but I just don't know when that will be yet. 

I just won a 1/35 scale Russian multiple rocket launcher truck. I want to use the launcher on one of my Deathstrike chassis as a Wyvern.  Hope to fine another set of fat rockets with some kind of mount to set up a Manticore on another of the Deathstrikes. I'll just have to take the Deathstrike rockets off and set them back in with a pin. Easily done.  I just missed another cool artillery but I am keeping an eye out for another of the same if I can find one for a reasonable price. 
no word yet from Perry Miniatures about shipping, nothing past processing and maybe packing is complete?  Not sure if they send a shipping notice or not. I should set up an account to see if my Order number has anything else. 
Lastly for today I did also find a model to use as an Ogryn bodyguard. I think it will look the part very well, no spoilers so I'll let you guess which model I might have gotten. :whistling:

The war efforts continue.

Update.

The boxes of Prussian infantry arrived today. It took only 8 or 9 days for them to arrive! 
Their website faq says shipping could have taken up to 30 days so that is what I expected, given the state of the world right now. There will be a post with pictures and wip, all that stuff in the near future. 

On a less happy note my good friend and usual opponent/usual Scrumgrod is in hospital and my other long time friend is in self quarantine so we are rescheduling our planned game.  
I'm planning to try to get a game with my usual Scrumgrod at the end of this month after he's recovered and been recovered for a while. He's going to play his SoB army for the first time this edition, new army and all he's very excited.  I am hopeful that getting him thinking about our next game will motivate him and have some positive effects for him, something to look forward too.  I'm surprised he is sick at all. It's bothering me a bit as I realize we have been gaming together for 20 years now. 
I guess I am surprised he's sick because he is always either at the game shop after work or traveling to tournaments and I would have thought if he was to get sick it would have happened sooner. I'm realizing I've known my inner circle of gaming friends for 20 years or more now.  That just happened. 

The War Efforts Continue.