Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

Update.

So far I have green stuffed 11 of these Prussians and am trying to paint them. Only 1 is painted so far. these kits are a tad frustrating because so many of them are sculpted to be at shoulder arms for marching. So I am less excited about those models from the kits. 
I may have a way to bash up several special weapons that might work. I'm considering adding ponchos to several so I can have most of the special weapons covered and peaking out from under to poncho but I have not attempted this yet. I'm still exploring my options and so far only adding the green stuff body armour and gas mask but other wise building these models as intended. adding a poncho will probably mean taking the clippers to the models a bit, not sure on the particulars yet. 

I'll post some pictures after I have the first squad painted. 

Good News!

The Prussian are coming along 1squad and 1 officer built based and painted 5 more built, almost ready for paint today and hopefully 5 more green stuffed and assembled by the end of today, we'll see. 
Also I bashed up my Multiple Missile  launcher conversion yesterday and have it painted. I'm planning a round of good pictures for on or about the 15th. hope to have several squads ready to show off.  I probably ordered more models than I actually needed...again. 
I've reordered the Ogre model and gotten it for nearly the same price the seller who sent me the wrong model has accepted a return. So that is almost cleared up. May have just been a simple mistake no large matter. But I am pleased this is working it self out. 
I may try to get one or three more pieces of artillery but want to push on with these infantry models first. I will likely order more French artillery crew from warlord games unless I wait until September for the Wargames Atlantic plastics which will be more cost effective, and maybe a good idea.  A fine way to close out the year and still time for one or two more small projects should the mood strike me. 

Small update on my recent lack of games, plans made and scrapped. 
My good friend is out of the Hospital and has been for several days, maybe a week? Or at least going on a week. hopefully I can get up there for that game next week. He's prepping for some itc thing that I don't care about... I know he'll have some time as he says he wont return to work for a week or two but I don't have any more particulars about that and haven't asked.  as long as he's well and able to roll dice for a few hours I'll make plans to get up that way.
My other long time good friend was worried he'd com into contact with the pox but has tested clean so we're just going to make future plans for when ever has he lived way down south.
I'm usually a planned stop on his way up north which works out well for him.  We'll see. 

These Prussians are really turning out better than I had expected!  

I'm trying to push on through with these last two infantrymen, close to done building the third squad. We're going to be hit with another storm over the weekend which will give me more time to get them painted but also may get in the way of getting pictures, who can say. The green stuff portion of this project can get a bit tedious Not planning to jump into another squad for a week or two after this last one. 
On a side note I have no idea how many actual guardsmen I even need. Something between 3 and 12 squads I guess. 

Update.
Somehow I managed to get it done!
I will update my blog tomorrow with more pictures most of them larger than this one.
I'm plotting out another army picture of the whole collection but it may be a while not sure exactly if I am satisfied with only 30 guardsmen or wish to wait until I have a few more squads added.
My Ogre has arrived and I should be off to get him some time today.
gallery_3442_16212_108632.jpg

It is amazing how consistent you are with your greenstuffed masks :)
The infantry is looking great and the converted vehicle is nice as well.

I haven't mentioned it before, but your custom playing mat looks great as background in pictures, not entirely sure why though, perhaps it makes enough contrast for things to stand out.

It is amazing how consistent you are with your greenstuffed masks :smile.:

The infantry is looking great and the converted vehicle is nice as well.

I haven't mentioned it before, but your custom playing mat looks great as background in pictures, not entirely sure why though, perhaps it makes enough contrast for things to stand out.

Haha thank you. Practice, practice has a lot to do with it! This project is about a year and a half in the works and it's been a lot of gas masks. Same tools and a lot of repetition. 

I saw that Launcher and thought it was just so brutal I had to figure it out!  I think it works. I painted it a green because it is more or less disposable after being fired and rearmed only a handful of times.  But I may change it later. no plans for that yet. 

The mat is painted in the same colors as my bases + 1 in a dark blue grey, more like a blue pavement and not exactly the same blue as my blue jackets. Something I had wiped up for terrain and never used but may on some terrain at some points when I get back to it.  I used to use some black felt but thought it was too dark for models painted this dark the lighter colors will let them stand out more.  I'm very glad you like it, thank you.  :biggrin.:

Fine work on the guardsmen.

Thank you!

I'm loving how this is all turning out for me.

Here's the blog post picture dump full of larger pictures.

The Ogre I mentioned arrived yesterday and well...

med_gallery_3442_16212_137987.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_186351.jpg

Good enough for pictures. :biggrin.:

now i just need to find an Ogryn shooter a club and a shield so I can pick and choose which way to set him up. a bit of clipping and a pin or two and he'll be good to go. Or I'll just glue on the club and shield.

I like this model but his head was a bit smaller than I expected but I think it's fine.

The war efforts continue.

Update.

Not a lot going right now.

Just reimagined my master of Ordnance.

med_gallery_3442_16212_14377.jpg
This model is or was a limited edition model meant for, If I remember, Adeptacon one year or other. I found it some time ago. Can' recall who the maker is. I believe they also had a planetary guvnor with a cane. I'm looking forward to that new military advisor from Necromunda. It may well be my Lord commander when I am done. I'm waiting for bits to arrive for my Blood Angels army so I am going to try to get another Infantry squad ready for paint before I get those bits in.
That's about it for now.

Update.
Finished assembling and the green stuff on squad 4. will primer later today. 

In other news.

I've ordered the open war cards and they've arrived at the post. I'm hopeful these will be a lot of fun.

In September, mid to late, I plan to get back to the terrain building. I've set a goal of having a full set of 9th edition compliant terrain to take out of the house for games. I will recycle some of what I have already made. I'm thinking up a plan of 3 or 4 of each kind using GW's examples with a set of colors to match to build out a color code chart list all the related terrain rules with pictures. It sounds like a lot of work but it's probably less work than it seems. My good friend is still playing the wrong game and calling it 9th but I am trying to help him with that and my self as well. Hopefully I can build two sets of terrain and just give him one. the terrain at the shop is partly out dated or more of a mismatch of stuff. Some of it is very nice to look at but doesn't seem to allow for the function of 9th very well.  There's also the hope that while I spend all this time on terrain building that I will bone up on terrain quite a lot. The rules interactions are very important. But I feel this will be very doable. I'd like to build each terrain feature two at a time each identical and build two matching sets or at least mostly matching, I may change the colors so they aren't completely identical. we'll see. 
I guess the next update should be the painted infantry squad in a few days.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while.
Picked out a weekend project, going to see how many new IG infantry I can build before Monday but I am not in a rush. Just started crew for three Missile Launchers yesterday evening and have rounded up some extra bits to hopefully assemble some special weapons, some how. The Missile teams are fist and We'll see how it goes after that. 

My hobby funds are nearly depleted for the year but I am considering adding an assassin to my collection. do any of you use them and which would you recommend? I am thinking about adding an Eversor Assassin. I like the choppy/stabby ness idea. 
Any thoughts on that? 

You might be better asking in the Agents section, for Guard it's usually utility that makes the most impact for Assassins. A Vindicare doesn't add much to an army built around shooting and the Eversor is a bit too isolated without support combat elements. Culexus for anti-psyker mischief or the Callidus for more sublte mischief usually works best, but I think that all are viable one way or another - and usually don't make such a large difference - so if you want an Eversor that's reason enough ;)

Ya, I guess for 85 points a pop it hardly matters. maybe I'll get them all. I just painted up a Culexus assassin and had thought about getting another assassin. 

Update.
I met my weekend goal and will post pictures when I have the time this coming week. 3 Missile launcher teams and 3 plasma gunners.  still have to paint the Plasma dudders. 
They're ok at best and I am not sure how I would have done better with what I am using. But now I at least have them. 
I think the plasma guns come from either a MK 3 or 4 Space Marine kit, my extra left overs from my first legion bitz box. 
I have some Meltas as well. So maybe I'll see about bashing out a few more after a while. 
This whole army is more about being fun to look at than anything else. So far so good! 

Update.
An unexpected turn of events gave me time to snap a few pictures. Just one for you all today, more posting to my blog tomorrow but it's probably just redundant.

gallery_3442_16212_316061.jpg

Alright, so to me a Missile team or two model like the usual Cadian Missile team, just looks off as presented on a 60MM base and I still think that should be two model on their own bases. GW however seems to like it.
These are some modern multiple missile launchers I found via a 3d Printer almost a year ago or really early this year, who knows. They've just sat on my table. I originally got them to be thud gun quad launcher proxies but in 1/56 scale they were way too small, maybe in 1/48 or 1/43 they might have worked but no matter now. Anywhoo. I remembered I still had them and just figured it out. the crew are the Perry miniatures Prussians with a few Wargames Atlantic bits.
I see I have just a few more things I can to to touch these up and will do that. Mostly the eyes need another dot of florescent red to really pop.

Also, one of these things is not like the others... :wink:

Just out of frame is 4th squad who will be in other pictures posted tomorrow along with the Assassin which is unfinished, proof of life and all that.

I'm really enjoying this silly IG project.

Thank you both. 

Excellent work on the heavy weapons teams.

I'm really happy with how they turned out. I feel like most of these heavy weapons teams I've done so far have a fair bit of character to them. I had to scroung bits and put a little effort in and I think it's worked out really well. Hlf waytempted to get 3 more but truthfully I can't see a reason to add any more of the same weapons type. 9th edition is kinda funny that way imop.
I had to look but I found that the launchers I used are Type 63's in 1/56 scale which I guess I got via shapeways.

Update.
Here's the other pictures.

20211004_121750.jpg

20211004_121737.jpg

20211004_121830.jpg

And the Assassin. 
20211004_121906.jpg

I got this assassin second hand some time ago a year or more and did not assemble it.  It used to belong to one of my good friends who is not the best for assembly so the head is not exactly correct but I am was worried it was be ruined if I tried to take it apart and reassemble it. I have no idea what glue he was using.  

I managed to texture his base last night along with my three plasma gunners who are painted now so another small round of pictures after a while. 
I'm not happy with them and may attempt to fix them. it was an assembly issue Where the position of the left are and the angle of that hand is just not right. Which makes the plasma guns look like they have no weight, which irritates me. 

The HWTs look great, really fits in with your soldier's aesthetic :thumbsup:

It's interesting how brutal and "grim dark" some of these things can be.  I'm not 100% sure what's making it work. 

I guess I'd blame it on the DKoK?

I'm thinking about looking for some Maxim machineguns to use next as heavy bolters I think I've seen them around some where. 

Some of these conversions and bitz bashes have given me a little incite to solving my lack of shot guns problem. I still want a few combat engineers. 

And I am still plotting on some rapier laser destroyers. 

Such a shale I can't fit all of this and the other things I'd like into a single 2000 point list. :whistling: 

Loving your Missile Launchers and Assassin!

Very Grimdark.

Thanks!

I've just ordered the Eversor Assassin this morning! They say he's the stabbiest of assassins...

Update.

Not a bad week even though it didn't go as planned.

med_gallery_3442_16212_575488.jpg

I managed to build and paint 2 more of the Industrial terrain as well as bash out a Melta gun trooper.

med_gallery_3442_16212_136795.jpg

I can't remember now if the plasm guns were this week or last week, either way.

I did place a small bits order this morning. Admech tracked things to use for Rapier laser destroyer parts.

I still have to round up the lasers, which I might have in my bits box. No idea how these will turn out but I have the start of a plan.

I'll have more terrain pictures to share some time in the near future, depends on what is going on next week.