Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

Good News!
The WW1 Germans kits will arrive on Monday! 

I've already seen some kit bashes people are doing with that kit and the Grognards, head and arm swaps. And they look really good. So I am having a difficult time deciding if I want to copy what I have seen or keep doing things they way I have been with all that green stuff. 
More good news.
The bases I ordered are now in the US so I would expect them some time next week. 

From what I have seen so far, the historical kits and the sci-fi ones seem to match well. I have seen conversions with the afghans and the other kits and now between the germans and afghans as well as germans with grognards.

Given the amount of spare bits per box and the compatibility between kits, I am guessing that wargames atlantic will make good money out of people who like to convert.

A bits box full of stuff tends to trigger imagination... :smile.:

Edit: I just remembered something in this regard, those giant spiders of their new kit might look nice with a rider made with some sitting legs I have from Anvil, or some wider standing legs from cadians/raumjagers/grognards(coat might get in the way). :biggrin.:

Edited by GreenScorpion

Strange news from the war front. 
Z Germans infantry kits have invaded the wrong post office... We're hoping they are quickly redirected to the correct salient. 
Probably a postal clerk was just in a hurry and dropped the package in the wrong bin. Probably. Expect them to arrive tomorrow now. 

Update. 
Kinda expected it this way. the Germans kits and the cavalry bases all arrived today. 
Starting to mess around with the German infantry mini's 1 so far. Pictures soonish. 
They seem a little smaller than the Grognards to me just now but I've been working on Primaris Marines for 2 weeks. could be part of it. 
Will be working on the Cavalry again soon. Want to get those done as soon as I can. Hopefully 10 models a week, 3 weeks. we'll see how that goes. 

Update.

I was going to build a German Infantrymen but passed on that and started putting the green stuff on to see what would happen.
Behold, basically a 2nd edition cadian.
med_gallery_3442_16212_143233.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_125155.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_170536.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_83971.jpg

Added this one for the side by side to show the height of these mini's.

Later I did this.
med_gallery_3442_16212_17438.jpgmed_gallery_3442_16212_129089.jpgmed_gallery_3442_16212_126144.jpg

Still sorting out what I want these troops to look like but I will probably stick with my inferior green stuff gasmasks, for consistency.
I'm as shocked by that as you are. I really like the plastics. I may, maybe, use them in the cavalry. Will do a test model later on and see which I like better. Would have really like the Pickelhaube with their gasmask as a single head. Oh well. :biggrin.:

It seems to scale well with the other miniatures.
Obviously it is not as buffed up as cadian and catachan miniatures are, but side by side something more recent like the Eschers or the BSF traitor guards it fits in quite nicely. My guess is that newer sculpts for the guard will likely look more like the traitor guardsmen, although catachans will likely still be buffed up, just because of that rambo/"insert other jungle badass warrior " look.

The thing with your sculpted gas masks is that they give your miniatures somewhat of a sense of being quite dangerous, as the bigger eye lenses make them somewhat look like skulls and give that death mask feel :)

It seems to scale well with the other miniatures.

Obviously it is not as buffed up as cadian and catachan miniatures are, but side by side something more recent like the Eschers or the BSF traitor guards it fits in quite nicely. My guess is that newer sculpts for the guard will likely look more like the traitor guardsmen, although catachans will likely still be buffed up, just because of that rambo/"insert other jungle badass warrior " look.

The thing with your sculpted gas masks is that they give your miniatures somewhat of a sense of being quite dangerous, as the bigger eye lenses make them somewhat look like skulls and give that death mask feel :smile.:

I don't have may of the newer GW models outside of the Primaris range I've collected. Someone should do side by sides with those. All my IG stuff is much older and mostly metal left overs I've just had on a shelf.

I agree a lot about the Green stuffed masks. I think it makes them just look unnerving much like some reaction to troops masked during WW1, in movies.

The green stuff armour really helps give them some needed bulk. 

1055711-.jpg

1009181-.jpg

Eschers are very tall, but otherwise are very similar to historical figures (likely based on very tall women).

From the BSF traitors (3rd from the left on the top image) the squad leader is one of the more buff figures, others are halfway through the raumjagers and the germans.

Edit: Armour was not something soldiers would often use in WW1, so it is normal that they would look thinner than most of GW's armoured models, but I think especially with the armour you added with green stuff they fit well.

Either way I have a mix of models with slightly different body proportions in my army and since people in real life are not all from the same mold, I think it looks good and adds variety.

For example the model on the right below is from statuesque miniatures, it is thinner, but it fits nicely with the rest (grognards will be a regiment from her world).

EjRXA5c.jpg

Edited by GreenScorpion

I've started working on the first Cavalry unit and kinda like them kinda don't the rides are fairly uniform, easy enough to do. The horses however, are all over the place. While that bothers me it also reminds me of hand drawn animation, where things that are the same are kinda off or only kinda look like the next one in line. Very Wizards animation, if you will. 

I'm thinking about that "German" I posted above and rethinking the uniform colors may go with the blues, or a combination of colors .
Half tempted to use the Necromuna spiders cammo... 
Probably the blue uniform, like the Riders command squad I posted a while ago. 
Maybe I could try a mustard-ish color uniform. Green - ocher.  I do have English Uniform as well. I think I used both of those on the Ramjagers previously. 
Wont be painting at all, nothing planned, most of this week. Need to focus on building models more than paint them. More black paint arrives some time in the coming week. 

Update. I've finished building the first 10 "Death Riders". 
May take a day off to pain something. Not sure what my schedule looks like today. 
Kinda hurt my back near the end of last week working outside so I'm taking a light week so I can help my Dad with some stuff he needs done near the end of the week. 

Drooling over the new troop transport kit from Mortian.
Really want a few of those. Super cool. 
I really need to check my budget and see if I can aford to justify ordering several of those...   

Did I mention the Char 2c's are reported to be in Germany now? Finally on the move! 

My more competitive friend is trying to schedule a game...Maybe in November.:wink: 
Not only do I need to have this army ready but I need to build a table full of terrain.  Which I can knock out in a month, after I have a rule book with terrain rules. 
I am tempted to just throw a 3rd edition codex at him and play Orks that day but I know he'll be really disappointed as he's trying to pick my brain on 9th edition. 
I'm sure I can have something ready by then.  I need to bring home two sheets of blue isolation foam and buy some glue and mdf clip boards from the dollar store. The rest will take care of itself. easy enough. I've been looking at what people playing Bold action are doing for terrain and some of it is really good I plan to do the same, buidings and ruils ect, but 40K it up a little. 

My other good friend who's traded for some of my extra Orks says he may be getting his new house in September and wants me to come down for a game , first game in his new home. 
Last time I did something like that I had to bring groceries. haha He means well but seems completely unprepared for a weekend guest.  
Fingers crossed, hope he has good luck on the house. 
He also says my next box of SM's will be in the mail I guess this week some time. Wish he'd had it all ready to go in one lot the shipping is going to eat him. Oh well. haha.:sweat: 

Update.
Death Rider Sgt.
Still wip.
med_gallery_3442_16212_115085.jpg
So...I seem to have forgotten to green stuff the long coat.
Not sure at the moment if I will or not.
Model still needs some silver details and the black and dark Brown wash. Getting there. It had been a while and I was worried it wouldn't turn out very well but I think it looks close enough to the command squad to pass. Well it will when it's done.

Update.

So I am or was taking a pause on this project.
Today the tanks arrived as did more of the Napoleonic french, the orders I have been waiting on from Russia and Italy. 
So I will definitely have an update with picture coming in a few days.
At this point I don't really know what I will do with the Napoleonic infantry as I am not really sure I want or need them, so I'll put them aside for later.
That's easily another 90 models I can build from those two boxes.

The tanks look really good and are significantly larger than the 1/56 scale Char 2c's I already. these new ones are 1/43 scale display models all pre painted....for now. (Read that in banes voice.)

I expect this project to kick up again next moth, a week from now really... after I've put a little more time in on the Blood Angels models I am working on. If you remember at the beginning I said I was trying not to have a back long...well, I have failed to keep up I guess. 
I'm expecting the tanks to get rounded out fairly quickly. I'll make some templates. We'll see what looks right enough and I'll bash out the parts in an assembly line..and off we go. 
That's the plan. 3 funky Malcador defenders. 

Oh, and before I forget I also bought a box of Armiger Helverins with most all of my remaining store credit, also some paint brushes. I was tired of having these funds just sitting there unused for almost 2 years or more. I was actually looking for something else but though, Hey, why not. 

Updates again soon.

Here's the promised pictures.

med_gallery_3442_16212_37595.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_230588.jpg

med_gallery_3442_16212_26908.jpg

Well they're finally here. Very happy with them.
You can see the over all size difference. May take them off the base they are mounted too, haven't decided.
The length looks much better more "historically accurate" and much better next to the infantry models.
The width is better probably almost as wide as a russ right now and with the addition of side armour and heavy bolters probably about right.
I have to scribble out some pictures and make templates to frame these in with armour. I'll need to round up something to resemble 21 heavy bolters. I plan to use plasticard and the same putty, magic sculpt, I used on the Raumjagers a few pages ago.
Lots going on right now as we wait for this next named storm to roll through over the weekend. Plenty of time to think over what it should look like before I go off cutting plastic and making a big mess, as I am prone to doing... feet first, neck deep...

Here's a fun one.
med_gallery_3442_16212_7413.jpg
High command is very pleased.
The war efforts continue.

So, what's left to buy? I guess some artillery and a few transports... i found one I really like and want 3 or 5 of them but need extra funds for those because they are not inexpensive at all. Like 50+ usd each before taxes and shipping.
One day. Maybe. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update.

Yesterday evening I put the black primer on the 9 remaining "death Riders" from the first squad and later in the night put the base layer of grey on the horses. 
One of the horses still needs a small bit of green stuff that I had forgotten to finish previously. 
I feel like I've been dragging my feet on these units that I was so excited about. 
Some small progress is better than no progress at all. 

The blood Angels project has been all I have worked on for a few weeks now. I'll see what I can do about pushing both projects along now. still have the box of small knights to build. 
Should probably get those built and at least primered in the near future.
I've had a lot of other things irl going on, like everyone else I suppose. 

I don't expect I'll be ordering much more for the IG project for at least two months. 

The war efforts continue.

These days I count priming as progress :laugh.:

Hell ya! 

Any forward movement is better than none. haha.

Last two weeks have just had other things going on and will for at least another 2 or 3 months. I painted a lot of models this year all ready and am on track to paint ..200 or more for this years total if I can fit them in. 

I think I am already at 150 for the Guard project of just infantry dudes. and now about 10 or 12 (For got about 10 other BA's due to the repaintings.) more for the BA's. Not bad for having come back form 7 months of no painting. 

Just have to get through the ground work and the rest will just happen as it happens. 

Hopefully I'll have some IG stuff painted to show at the end of the coming week. 

Everything is progress and after all it is more progress than I have done the full year :D
At least the book moves forward when then miniatures don't.

Your BA also seem to be coming nicely, from what I have seen so far, here and elsewhere on the forum.

Have you decided whether or not you will remove the base from the tanks?

Will be nice to see what you do with the mini knights :)

Everything is progress and after all it is more progress than I have done the full year :biggrin.:

Your BA also seem to be coming nicely, from what I have seen so far, here and elsewhere on the forum.

Will be nice to see what you do with the mini knights :smile.:

Thank you. 

Those BA's are fun but frustrating because they take so long to paint! I like the way they are turning out, should look really cool surrounded by grubby guards troopers.

Haven't spent any time even thinking about those tanks after the first day or two they arrived. So far "still" thinking about the armour I want to add but have only cut one flat length of card board - cereal box  , trying to size the length and height of that plate for the side wall. I like the extra height the base gives the tanks. Might be best to leave them on? 

Almost thinking of a velvety green for the knights. If you've watched Hannibal, was thinking house Lector but maybe try to match one of his suits. Just don't want to use blue as there's already a lot of that going around. Just a misfiring neuron I'm sure. We'll see. 

Everything is progress and after all it is more progress than I have done the full year :biggrin.:

Will be nice to see what you do with the mini knights :smile.:

Thank you. 

Those BA's are fun but frustrating because they take so long to paint! I like the way they are turning out, should look really cool surrounded by grubby guards troopers.

Haven't spent any time even thinking about those tanks after the first day or two they arrived. So far "still" thinking about the armour I want to add but have only cut one flat length of card board - cereal box  , trying to size the length and height of that plate for the side wall. I like the extra height the base gives the tanks. Might be best to leave them on? 

Almost thinking of a velvety green for the knights. If you've watched Hannibal, was thinking house Lector but maybe try to match one of his suits. Just don't want to use blue as there's already a lot of that going around. Just a misfiring neuron I'm sure. We'll see. 

The bases on the tanks seem nice, you can always add some decorations if the rocks below seem too bare, a mini diorama if you wish :smile.:

A layer of that kind of cardboard would be enough, or do you think several layers would be better? I might have to do something similar with some historical tanks I was planning on buying when I return home.

Interesting choice for the knights and some of the Cannibal's aesthetic might work well for them (I have seen all but the new movie they made about his young self, not sure if that is the one you meant).

Edited by GreenScorpion

A layer of that kind of cardboard would be enough, or do you think several layers would be better? I might have to do something similar with some historical tanks I was planning on buying when I return home.

Interesting choice for the knights and some of the Cannibal's aesthetic might work well for them (I have seen all but the new movie they made about his young self, not sure if that is the one you meant).

The cardboard is just for making templates that I can trace and cut from thicker plasticard. It will be a layer going the length of the side of the tank with layers of plate going vertically the height of that plate. This will also be covered in putty or another product, I need to find the name of it it creates a rough metal look. If I remember correctly, I thinks it's a scale models product.  

Hannibal had 3 seasons, can't remember who produced it but I very much enjoyed the first two seasons, season 3 got into the red dragon storyline and was fairly dry, but I haven't watched that more than once and it could be better than I remember it.  Hannibal was played by  Mads Mikkelsen. He does a fair amount of cooking and I  recall it made me hungry every time. :biggrin.: 

It is a little "artsy". 

I do have that box of Gw skulls ... who knows. 

Forgot about the series, too much Hannibal around :D

I remember seeing the ads for it, but I don't recall if we had all seasons in Portugal, we always get everything late, but it was at a time when there were lots of movie remakes as series and most of them were really bad, so it didn't peak my interest to check how it was.

You can always turn one of the knights into a cook, just don't ask it what is cooking :D

You had mentioned the plasticard before, forgot about that. Makes sense.

Light update.

I've started to cut the plasticard for the first tank but will need to find the rest of my stock, packed away, or order more for the other two. Nothing very interesting yet just rectangles of different sizes. 
I'm catching that Heavy Bolter fever and the only cure is more Dakka! 

Progress has been very slow so far. I am cutting all the plastic to size and will dry fit all the parts on one tank glue them in sections and then attach them to every tank. 
I need to cut out the side slots for the machine guns er. Heavy Bolters. 
It's tedious work right now. I'm giving it as much time and energy as I can tolerate. I have to sit in a different chair and at a table which disagrees with my back.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

I've managed to build both of the Armiger Helverins, I believe I mentioned those a few posts back. 
I'm glad to have finally built those. Not thrilled with having a back log after things had been going so well. 
No forward progress on the tanks. Not happy with what I had started and chopped up all my plastcard, wasted. 
Rethinking the tank conversions but will gladly push them around the table as is until I figure it out.  
Some times I just have to stew on an idea until it's ready. I kinda have this vision of what I want to do but it's just not ready to execute yet. 
I also started to think that I was going about it the wrong way. I think maybe I need to think about the center of the tanks, turret coverings, where the heavy bolters will be mounted. 
And work my way out from there. 
It may take a while but it will be worth doing right and being happy with them rather than rushing in and ruining everything. 
I have a friend with a 3d printer and may ask him to help me out and maybe print the parts I want. No idea if he'll be able to help or not. 
We'll see.

I have seen that WA is starting to show off their new Grognards heavy weapons, very exciting. 
Have done nothing with the Germans as I am still waiting for the WA french, and again I think it will be worth waiting. 
The Blood Angels side project has been my only focus and will be for a few more units. 
Next project I plan to start is terrain. I scored a BRB in trade and need to look at terrain and terrain rules before I get going on that. Being in Florida I need the outside temperatures to drop so I can get back into my workshop/shed to make terrain again. No AC out there and high temperatures of feels like 105, just about ever day still. 
Still hopeful for games in November, if it can be arranged.