Darren Latham’s YouTube channel coming to an end

Just seen the latest post on Darren’s Latham’s Instagram sadly announcing the end of his YouTube channel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B86Z-jRHBZA/?igshid=eskhcwz3txha

Worse still the wording makes it sound like his videos may actually be deleted!

Just seen the latest post on Darren’s Latham’s Instagram sadly announcing the end of his YouTube channel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B86Z-jRHBZA/?igshid=eskhcwz3txha

Worse still the wording makes it sound like his videos may actually be deleted!

Very sorry to read this. His work has been first rate. However, I don't see anything in his message suggesting that his videos may be deleted.

He has stated in answers to some of the messages that he will be pulling the videos in due course.  I think GW has put the screws on him and given him a timeframe for the existent videos to come down, and for the final ones to be posted. He stopped posting for a few weeks, and I figured something was up. 

One can only hope that (if he indeed is having to take it down due to pressure from GW) they realised having a big discussion about it was a bigger problem than the channel continuing to exist. Alternatively they're really clamping down and have just muzzled him here too...

Wonder why GW dont like him posting.

Because it is advertising they don't control. GW wants everybody to get all of their information from their centralized Warhammer Community hub, reading their WHC articles, watching their WHTV videos, etc.

Real tragedy to see his channel disappearing/stopping because his videos are fantastic. Genuine loss for the community and I'm very grateful for the time he put into them.

Not only that, but he uses several non-GW products - Winder & Newton brushes and wet palettes are just two that spring to mind.

It’s a phenomenal outlet for GW — but I can’t blame them for wanting to close it down as they don’t have full editorial control.

Since contrast paint came out (technically, since GW switched to the battle/parade ready painting standard), the GW painting videos have been lacking detail and Daz’s videos have been filling the void and then some. It’s a great loss to the community but I get why GW want control.

That would be sad indeed. :(

Not only that, but he uses several non-GW products ... wet palettes are just two that spring to mind.

His wet pallet is at least mostly made out of a GW product, though! (tufts box) :lol:

I agree - but since you can’t buy it in a GW store (for that specific purpose, and without modification), that’s why the channel is being taken down by the bosses

Well, since he removed his post, we don't really know anything.

Quite.  The internet does, however, love speculation and a conspiracy theory (case in point - if you look at Duncan Rhodes' Twitter account, you'll see lots of people saying how great it is to see him posting non-GW content now that GW can't stop him, despite the fact he's said that he self-censored because he believed it unprofessional to post that content whilst he was employed by GW).

I wondered about his situation. as someone who works in the game industry, it seemed like a wierd conflict of interest while he was doing it. offering a competing resource to WarhammerTV while under their employ.

maybe they're going to make him the new Duncan

Edited by Wispy

Well thats sad if true, since the post is gone maybe it got resolved?

Darrens tutorials are the next level, they are far more advanced painting wise than what WHTV produces these days. I enjoyed them and his painting is very impressive. If I was GW I would have him or someone of his talent make a masterclass version of WHTV for those of us who need that, like me.

Edited by Azaiel

Well, since he removed his post, we don't really know anything.

Quite.  The internet does, however, love speculation and a conspiracy theory

Indeed. And if nobody can dig up any more info on this soon-ish, the topic is going to be short-lived... ;)

*fingering melta*

I wondered about his situation. as someone who works in the game industry, it seemed like a wierd conflict of interest while he was doing it. offering a competing resource to WarhammerTV while under their employ.

maybe they're going to make him the new Duncan

I’d rather see him stay as a GW miniatures designer than go off and become a YouTube painter and I doubt the WHC roles pays as well as his current gig.