2500pt Head of the Gorgon

Brad_hutcho

Just finished painting Ferrus Manus, looking to incorporate him into a 2500pt list:

Ferrus Manus - 455

10x Gorgons. 5x PF, 4x CF, 2x Heavy Flamed, hammer bearer has Cyber Familiar - 470

Spartan. Armoured Ceramite, Flare Shield, Dozer blade - 375

10 tacticals. Nuncio, vexilla. Sarge with PF, AA, melta - 175

10 tacticals. Nuncio, vexilla. Sarge with PF, AA, melta - 175

20 Immortals. Volkites. Sarge has AA, Cyber Familiar and breaching charge - 395

Medusa - 155

Deredeo. Plasmafire Cannonade, Aiolos, heavy flames - 255

Toral: 2455

Few points left, can either put some cyber familiar and/or PF on sarge. Or add a few more tacticals. Trying to fill out the list and reduce what I have to paint before this event in April

Plans to expand include Spartan for immortals, more tacticals, probably a Praetor on scimitar with squadron. Also have a vindicator laser destroyer and storm eagle just not built yet

Thoughts?

You enemy will focus on killing off your footslogging tactical squads making it much harder for you to take and hold objectives. You "must" give those two squads a rhino each. Also only 2 troops choices in 2500p is too low and will make it difficult for you in objectives missions.

Ditch the storm eagle and get a fire raptor instead. Bringing in infantry with storm eagle will have the carried airborne infantry in the action earliest turn three. Other options are better (terrax assault drill takes 12, can deep strike without mishap. Tanks with transport capacity or a dreadclaw although they only take 10 models).

Definitely get a large squad of scimitar jet bikes and magnetise the nose weapons. They can easily avoid close combat and move around and shoot heavy weapons from distance and as IH they will be effectively T6 if you avoid close combat with them. IH is one of the strongest jetbike legion.

Consider having a vindicator squadron that you can outflank with head of gorgon and also get "power of the machine spirit" on them so they can move 12" and shoot.

Reduce your terminator squad and find points for an apothecary that runs with your immortals or a primus medicae that runs with the gorgons and Ferrus.

Good luck fitting in a compulsory HQ (which you are missing) for 45 pts.

List looks more like Primarch's Chosen than HotG overall.

Given you don't have that compulsory HQ, you might actually consider going Primarch'c Chosen for real, swapping your units of Tacticals for Vet Tacs instead.

Primarch's Chosen is a cringe RoW though, and those (Vet) Tacs would still need a method of delivery, like Imren pointed out above, favourably cheap Rhinos.

From the top of my head, Gorgons do have Implacable Advance, so you essentially got 3 scoring units .... which is still way to few in a game of 2.5k or above.

Also, don't put Hvy. Flamers on Gorgons, use Graviton Guns.

As it is, your opponent might do one or more of the following:

- Wipe out two thirds of your scoring units turn one.

- Take out the Medusa for another easy kill.

- Then focus fire on the Deredeo  OR  your death star unit and ignore the other one.

Speaking of which, that death star unit is ... 1.300 pts.  .... more than half your list. Talking about all the eggs in one basket.

To be honest don't run this kind of list at 2,5k it won't be fun for you or for your opponent when you pur so much point in one unit without any good scoring around it.

And the main strength of Manus is to run lots of walker/tanks so way better to keep him for higher games i'd say 3,5k min not below if you want to take him with head of the gorgon.

All your infantry should have a transport: outflanking rhinos with multi melta, outflanking vindicators... All the nasty stuff IH can do with this RoW that are imo funnier to play than a 1300 pts death star (and not the best one commpared to firedrakes/red bucthers with the related primarch)

You enemy will focus on killing off your footslogging tactical squads making it much harder for you to take and hold objectives. You "must" give those two squads a rhino each. Also only 2 troops choices in 2500p is too low and will make it difficult for you in objectives missions.

Ditch the storm eagle and get a fire raptor instead. Bringing in infantry with storm eagle will have the carried airborne infantry in the action earliest turn three. Other options are better (terrax assault drill takes 12, can deep strike without mishap. Tanks with transport capacity or a dreadclaw although they only take 10 models).

Definitely get a large squad of scimitar jet bikes and magnetise the nose weapons. They can easily avoid close combat and move around and shoot heavy weapons from distance and as IH they will be effectively T6 if you avoid close combat with them. IH is one of the strongest jetbike legion.

Consider having a vindicator squadron that you can outflank with head of gorgon and also get "power of the machine spirit" on them so they can move 12" and shoot.

Reduce your terminator squad and find points for an apothecary that runs with your immortals or a primus medicae that runs with the gorgons and Ferrus.

what storm eagle are you talking about ?? :p it's only footslogging dudes and a spartan here from what I can see. 
Why put a medicae with the gorgons ? They already have a native fnp and primarch cannot get fnp from the narthecium (cf latest faq)

Thanks for the responses guys. I was mainly looking to use a lot of stuff that's already painted. It's for my 11yo sons army and has been built very ad hoc so far. I'm adjusting the list to include the required HQ (derp) and add rhinos to the tac squads. I'll be adding the scimitars in and probably mounting a Praetor on a bike too. Gorgons and Immortal are getting reduced in number to allow this. And yeah, like Argel Tal said, don't feel apothecaries etc are needed, whole army already has fnp

Thinking of running the immortals as Ferrus' bodyguard. Gorgons can walk up the field hopefully protected by their armour, and they're a scoring unit too. Meanwhile, immortals can go in the Spartan. They can sweeping advance, unlike Gorgons, and their shields will nullify the attacks of anyone who gets a charge on Ferrus (though hopefully that shouldn't happen). Thoughts?

Maybe aim for lower point games without Ferrus :)

I think if you want to run the cheesy IH bikes take the preaetor on bike (not jetbike) with cyber familiar, add some melee equipped veterans with him and join the elite apothecary on bike and here you go for a verd hard unit that cannot be ID and put you praetor in front of it with the 3++ to tank low AP guns
Not sure this is super fun though

As for the tac squad either you run big blobs of them on foot with apothecary to swarm the map (15+) or in rhinos to grab enemy objectives and get some lucky outflanking MM shots 

If you have to pick Gorgon should not walk, they are mainly a melee unit so they need their transport and they can sweep due to their armor if remember correctly. But I'm not sure this is really important as they have low init and not the best melee damage output compared to other melee oriented squads.

Immortals on the other hand are more hard presence on the field and can walk alongside your tac if you have lots of them or the other good option is to run them with a proteus (mandatory volkite instead of bolter i'd say). If you want to run them in a spartan in higher number they also work well with Autek Morr to give them fearless and making them even harder to remove. Don't view them as a hammer unit they will be a pain in the ass for your opponent but not high damage unit. Put them where they will take the worst damage with outflanking transport or middle of the board in big blobs.

And love your tanks/dreads ;) we have the best tanks in the galaxy (run away reductor) 

Maybe aim for lower point games without Ferrus :)

I think if you want to run the cheesy IH bikes take the preaetor on bike (not jetbike) with cyber familiar, add some melee equipped veterans with him and join the elite apothecary on bike and here you go for a verd hard unit that cannot be ID and put you praetor in front of it with the 3++ to tank low AP guns

Not sure this is super fun though

As for the tac squad either you run big blobs of them on foot with apothecary to swarm the map (15+) or in rhinos to grab enemy objectives and get some lucky outflanking MM shots 

If you have to pick Gorgon should not walk, they are mainly a melee unit so they need their transport and they can sweep due to their armor if remember correctly. But I'm not sure this is really important as they have low init and not the best melee damage output compared to other melee oriented squads.

Immortals on the other hand are more hard presence on the field and can walk alongside your tac if you have lots of them or the other good option is to run them with a proteus (mandatory volkite instead of bolter i'd say). If you want to run them in a spartan in higher number they also work well with Autek Morr to give them fearless and making them even harder to remove. Don't view them as a hammer unit they will be a pain in the ass for your opponent but not high damage unit. Put them where they will take the worst damage with outflanking transport or middle of the board in big blobs.

And love your tanks/dreads ;) we have the best tanks in the galaxy (run away reductor)

Yeah, that combo of Halo and cyber familiar is very familiar after having run a normal Praetor with 3++, He will tank wounds all day :-D

Yeah, the idea was to (now anyway) run the tacs in rhinos. Eventually when the force expands, they can either be grown to larger foot slog units, the rhinos going to support squads etc who can still outflank, or buy some land raider and outflank in them (evil laugh)

And yes, totally agree on the bodyguard bit. As soon as I posted the last reply I thought "nope, run the Gorgons in Spartan."

Immortals are so hard to move. I see them as a huge denial unit. I know, having had to try and shift them before with my World Eaters. You have to throw so much weight of numbers at them. And totally, always take choom on them

Cheers for the responses mate