Nemiel's Guardians of the Covenant

ChaplainNemiel

Brothers, the new update has brought out my old army for the first time in a while.

I was an active player in 6th but phased out between 7th and am a newb to 8th. 

I've been brushing up and improving my army. 

Right now I'm focusing my RW element and then will move onto the DW.

Of course you really see the imperfections on the pictures that I don't notice so much up close :sweat:

TElQ87Bl.jpg

Lldb1nal.jpg

U0RsgrAl.jpg

tNwVb1jl.jpg

More coming soon. 

Edited by ChaplainNemiel

Terrific start brother. I love seeing the successors getting some attention, especially the GotC. A few years back I wanted to switch from DA to a successor, and for the longest time the debate was between them and the Angels of Absolution. In the end I went with the AoA, but it was a tough decision. Glad to see you rockin them, and I’m looking forward to more updates!

thank you brothers!

I appreciate the feedback. This army sadly has a tragic history.

I once had a large force that was almost entirely robed. Bikes, and around 50 "tacticals" using the DA vets sculpts.

As I found myself not playing enough to justify all the counter space. I decided to sell off a large portion of the force.

I wanted to help the local shop so I gave the army to them to help sell (we've done this previously with vehicles) so the shop got some of the profits or could use re-use as terrain.

Either way...Some how, everything went missing. As if the army was lost in the warp. This was years ago - how the army got lost I don't know.

I still have the force I wanted to keep which was mostly the DA unique units...Black knights, speeders, termies, nephilim, etc. 

PA has really...reinvigorated me to get back into the hobby so I've been trying to brush up and improve my work from years ago.

I've only ever played Dark Angels and only intend to play them. Guardians of the Covenant always really struck me with their colour scheme and the little lore they have I find is very relate able. 

I really like your style, looks like lots of dry brushing over the large areas?

I go overboard on the washes (nuln oil) on the armour and earth shade on the robes...Then I do heavy dry brush with lighter colours. Example Khorne red base on the robes, heavy agrax earthshade wash and then highlight using wild rider red. 

Some models I do fine detail high lights but it's primarily dry brushing. I'm finding as I'm going over my work I'm trying to add in more layering. 

Definitely not the fanciest. I envy some of the work I see on here with the steady hands and really clean and striking look.

That said, what I like about my style is it shows a grim, gritty look that I think is very fitting to the 40k universe and looks good on the table top.

Another bonus - it's a lot easier for painters like myself with an unsteady hand! 

I'm sure there will be lots of cringing at my mold lines :biggrin.:

Edited by ChaplainNemiel

• 3 weeks later...

Are their maces supposed to be pink? If not, may I suggest using yellow in place of white, so the maces look fiery instead of... aroused?

This is great feedback brother...Thanks for your honesty, I wasn't really pleased with how those turned out either.

Unfortunately I don't have a yellow right now.

I'm going to test one with "wild rider red" as the base instead of mephiston.

Then dry brush jokero orange and a white...Hopefully that will give a more fire look instead of a pink...

They’re simply invigorated at the prospect of assaulting Fallen foes, bringing our brothers one step closer to exulted redemption and release of our shame!

On a serious note, experimentation like this is how we all learn. Another option might be to darken the pink back down to a red, giving an ‘energy field’ feel to the weapons?

They’re simply invigorated at the prospect of assaulting Fallen foes, bringing our brothers one step closer to exulted redemption and release of our shame!

On a serious note, experimentation like this is how we all learn. Another option might be to darken the pink back down to a red, giving an ‘energy field’ feel to the weapons?

you nailed it here - they are indeed invigorated to vanquish our enemies. 

If it's any consolation, in real life they do look more red/orange (blood orange?) + white. The picture really comes out more pink than what my eye sees at least. That said, I did want more of a fire look and I'll need to wait for the yellow and try again. 

Sorry to hear the maces haven’t turned out how you want them. Hopefully the yellow gives you the effect you’re going for.

On a positive note, those bases are looking ace!

Thank you brother. I did up those bases years ago and I think they really help make the models pop and focus attention away from my mediocre painting :) 

I ordered the bases from https://www.back2base-ix.com/

An awesome company based in Australia and the prices are very fair. 

The steppe grass is from army painter. 

Update:

Here is the 10 man shooty squad. The chainfists won't actually be used but that's all I had at time they were originally built and Crux Terminatus shoulder pads are in high demand.

I also included the Ancient w/ banner, Librarian and Belial.

Several of these models are magnetised and can fill various roles. 

1qApyARl.jpg

Pf87AS3l.jpg

730dzjJl.jpg

KzagVl2l.jpg

UDhqgJEl.jpg

JTaipcNl.jpg

B9cmrcvl.jpg

woX4iWql.jpg

Also.;..just in case everyone is wondering. I am not whipping up these models out of nowhere.

I've been working on this force since 6th edition technically where the bulk of the work was done around 7th...I've been brushing everything up just recently.

Here is my IC and friends.

Irhgrpil.jpg

KWkmUjdl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings brothers.

After listening to some feedback I caved in had to gather some vet kits.

I wanted to ensure I could field a battalion (even if just bolter marines for chaff)

My army theme has always been robes only - so I only use the veteran kits as my "tacticals".

Brothers, if you can believe this I once had about 40-50 of these guys with various tactical and devastator load outs which has gone missing about 4 years ago.

If you are the person who inherited these - please contact me!

Here is the first of 3x5 squads.

7Ex9T5jl.jpg

2jjJ4Y0l.jpg

eBDJZW6l.jpg

Very nice. I really like the red robes and the bases are perfect.

Your story is similar to mine. My first army was DA in 2nd ed. Sold it before 3rd came out. After 3rd. Got a healthy greenwing, ravenwing and deathwing. Had them until 6th ed when our dexs turned to poo. All chapters got our toys and lots of our special rules. Put my greenwing up for sale in a glass case at store. Owner thought I picked them up about a month later and discovered they walked out the door. They were found about a year later when a new player came around the store, he bought them from someone else we didn't know. Anyhow..sold ravenwing a few years back but still have and always will, my deathwing.

Good to see yours.