Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BA 1.5k points

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 937 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights, Dark Angels

Looking for advice for a friend that wants to get into the hobby. Seeing how it's his birthday soon, and he wants the golden host set (will provide link), I was wondering whether you fine lads would be able to put together a 1.5k list that has a fair amount of variety of units, centred around that box.. Also looking to make this list competitive in nature, as he will be playing mostly against my DA/GK army (which are competitive). 

Link: https://www.games-wo...-AU/Golden-Host. The item in question has the Sanguinor, and 15 Sanguinary Guard. 

Edited by Knight-Master Skywrath, 27 February 2020 - 11:10 AM.

7DtmK1a.pnge2ZWJbt.pngt44uaS0.pngIJKynoL.pngtFMKXdu.pngAhRNilX.png

Matarno - Lord of Skyfall

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Looking for advice for a friend that wants to get into the hobby. Seeing how it's his birthday soon, and he wants the golden host set (will provide link), I was wondering whether you fine lads would be able to put together a 1.5k list that has a fair amount of variety of units, centred around that box.. Also looking to make this list competitive in nature, as he will be playing mostly against my DA/GK army (which are competitive). 

Link: https://www.games-wo...-AU/Golden-Host. The item in question has the Sanguinor, and 15 Sanguinary Guard. 

Great that your friend wants to jump in and wants to start with Blood Angels! Does this friend have much experience with the hobby or is he completely fresh? That kind of changes where to go with a list, or an army altogether. As much as we love new Blood Angels players, it might be better to take said friend to your FLGS and make sure that are introduced to all of the options available when it comes to picking an army.

If I were to blind guess, I would say this friend is brand new into the hobby and has seen you Dark Angels and Grey Knights. He thinks they are awesome and wants to run Marines as well, and maybe picked Blood Angels because based on the Golden Host box alone we have the coolest models anywhere. But does this friend know about all the xenos? Chaos in all its forms? As the veteran of the hobby, you can help to provide a bit of brake pumping before your friend invests a considerable amount of money into an army. At a minimum, have your friend buy the Codex and Blood of Baal, to make sure that this is the path he wants to go on.

After all that, if Blood Angels are the choice, the Golden Host Boxed Set is awesome. Great place to start, giving you a solid core of our best unit. From there, you can go in a million directions, most of which should be based on what your friend finds cool. Rule of cool is king. Primaris have awesome models, but miss most of the benefits Blood Angels get. First Sons can give you jump packs and drop pods and terminators and more close combat options. At 1500 points, the options are fairly limitless.

So fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.

Skywrath

Skywrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 937 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights, Dark Angels

Great that your friend wants to jump in and wants to start with Blood Angels! Does this friend have much experience with the hobby or is he completely fresh? That kind of changes where to go with a list, or an army altogether. As much as we love new Blood Angels players, it might be better to take said friend to your FLGS and make sure that are introduced to all of the options available when it comes to picking an army.

If I were to blind guess, I would say this friend is brand new into the hobby and has seen you Dark Angels and Grey Knights. He thinks they are awesome and wants to run Marines as well, and maybe picked Blood Angels because based on the Golden Host box alone we have the coolest models anywhere. But does this friend know about all the xenos? Chaos in all its forms? As the veteran of the hobby, you can help to provide a bit of brake pumping before your friend invests a considerable amount of money into an army. At a minimum, have your friend buy the Codex and Blood of Baal, to make sure that this is the path he wants to go on.

After all that, if Blood Angels are the choice, the Golden Host Boxed Set is awesome. Great place to start, giving you a solid core of our best unit. From there, you can go in a million directions, most of which should be based on what your friend finds cool. Rule of cool is king. Primaris have awesome models, but miss most of the benefits Blood Angels get. First Sons can give you jump packs and drop pods and terminators and more close combat options. At 1500 points, the options are fairly limitless.

I believe your analysis/deduction could be applied to any new starting player, and it frankly looks like it was based of your own personal experience. While I am appreciative of your insight, those were statements that were fairly obvious (aesthethic > practical argument could be applied to any person from a sales perspective) .

Criticism aside, he is fairly new to the hobby. Because my first starter kit was the Dark Imperium there was a Death Guard component in the army, which he admits is not particularly to his tastes (pun not intended). Seeing how he has an interest in playing with me, he admitted BA or Ultramarines were his choices. While he isn't 100% locked into one faction, he is leaning BA at the current time. In that regard, your perception that the models were the selling point were correct (but again, could be chalked up to personal experience with any new BA player). 

Codexes are already obtained, however I'm not any newer to the hobby than he is. I'm not familiar enough with Blood Angels to even begin warrant making a list, being unaware of synergies between units, and other niche tactics specific to the chapter . As I stated I am a DA/GK player. Hence, why I am here - for people to propose making a BA list that is competitive yet variable. So without further ado, do any of you have a list that could be explored?

Edited by Knight-Master Skywrath, 27 February 2020 - 03:51 PM.

7DtmK1a.pnge2ZWJbt.pngt44uaS0.pngIJKynoL.pngtFMKXdu.pngAhRNilX.png

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I believe your analysis/deduction could be applied to any new starting player, and it frankly looks like it was based of your own personal experience. While I am appreciative of your insight, those were statements that were fairly obvious (aesthethic > practical argument could be applied to any person from a sales perspective) .

Criticism aside, he is fairly new to the hobby. Because my first starter kit was the Dark Imperium there was a Death Guard component in the army, which he admits is not particularly to his tastes (pun not intended). Seeing how he has an interest in playing with me, he admitted BA or Ultramarines were his choices. While he isn't 100% locked into one faction, he is leaning BA at the current time. In that regard, your perception that the models were the selling point were correct (but again, could be chalked up to personal experience with any new BA player). 

Codexes are already obtained, however I'm not any newer to the hobby than he is. I'm not familiar enough with Blood Angels to even begin warrant making a list, being unaware of synergies between units, and other niche tactics specific to the chapter . As I stated I am a DA/GK player. Hence, why I am here - for people to propose making a BA list that is competitive yet variable. So without further ado, do any of you have a list that could be explored?

The statements I made were fairly obvious and can be applied to any starting player, but when given a lack of details the answer tends to be generic. 

As far as the list goes, I would have your friend poke around the lists that have been posted here. There are a million ways to build a 1500 point list, and asking for us to build one without any kind of specifics is nearly impossible. You will find lists on here that are designed for ITC, lists that are all Primaris, lists that disregard anything Primaris, lists built for shooting and lists built for assaulting. Without any kind of direction into what your friend is looking for, both aesthetically and functionally, you will likely get a single person's preference on what they think is cool and what works for their play style.

An example would be myself providing a list. I would tell your friend to build towards a dual battalion list to gain the CP necessary to make the Blood Angels really sing. But I loathe all things Primaris, despite thinking the models look cool. So my list would look like this, based on the Golden Host boxed set as a base:

1st Battalion

Captain - jump pack, storm shield and thunder hammer

Sanguinor

5 Tactical Marines

5 Tactical Marines

5 Tactical Marines

Sanguinary Ancient

10 Sanguinary Guard

2nd Battalion

Chaplain w/ Jump Pack

Chaplain w/ Jump Pack

5 Tactical Marines

5 Scouts

5 Scouts

10 Death Company w/ Jump Packs

With the preferred loadouts on the Ancient, Guard and DC, this hits 1500 points pretty easy. And it won't be too daunting to build to from the Golden Host box.

• Skywrath likes this

So fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users