Duncan Rhodes Painting Academy

It's great to see Duncan returning for more so soon, I always found his videos really good but as a reminder the number of subscriptions he has is not news worthy enough for running updates :wink:

Perhaps not, but the meteoric rise of his subscription count shows the amount of goodwill he has earned with his stint at Warhammer TV is quite substantial. I just hope he doesn't blot out other channels when he gets into the swing of things. 

I think it is interesting that the about section of the channel page uses the word "us" to describe the channel. I'm keen to know who else is helping him build the channel.

Roger, the guy who did the filming and editing for warhammer tv.

Did Latham shut down to boost Duncan? The timing seems very coincidental.

And coincidental is probably all it is. It's not like people have a limited amount of YouTube subs such that one channel closing suddenly frees up a "slot".

Darren's channel is almost certainly going offline because GW don't want one of their staff (and a senior one at that) effectively advertising product that they don't sell.

Did Latham shut down to boost Duncan? The timing seems very coincidental.

And coincidental is probably all it is. It's not like people have a limited amount of YouTube subs such that one channel closing suddenly frees up a "slot".

Darren's channel is almost certainly going offline because GW don't want one of their staff (and a senior one at that) effectively advertising product that they don't sell.

Which cracks me up because they do use the products even on box art models (microset/sol, series 7, etc)

I've already given feedback on the video since I like the overhead camera to view the palette more closely and I've asked if they are going to review or give tutorials on other paint ranges. Since places like Green Stuff world have started making paints and I've been introducing Scale 75 and Vallejo into my miniature painting armoury it would be nice to see the pros and cons of different manufacturer's paints.

I think Duncan and Roger are doing well so far. A bit early to count those chickens but still good so far.

Give him a bit of slack on a first, ‘sample’ video. I’d have been surprised if he didn’t feature something GW as a demo, and the Sister was a good choice, as a new range. Within minutes of starting he was saying he liked and was using the Army Painter Regiment brush, so I am sure those alternative brands will come in time. But starting with mostly GW stuff where he’s bringing most of his fans from makes a lot of sense. 

Well, I wasn't demanding anything, I was just curious to find out if they would consider testing other ranges. I'd be perfectly happy if they stuck to Citadel paints or if they use whichever paints the particular miniatures manufacturer recommends. I was just curious really.

Just as Daz Latham is shutting down, we get this. I know the two have nothing to do with each, just saying one door shuts and another opens is all. For those saying the that Duncan's stuff is less advanced, I think we'll see him exploring new techniques now that he isn't limited to the citadel paint system.

Just as Daz Latham is shutting down, we get this. I know the two have nothing to do with each, just saying one door shuts and another opens is all. 

Well I could see it being kinda the other way around.

Duncan asking GW whether they have a problem with him opening his own youtube painting channel because he's a nice guy like that, GW saying they don't like that while he's still employed which also makes them aware that this is a thing they didn't consider before and prompts them to take a closer look at the rest of the staff which made them aware of Daz Latham's channel and telling him the same thing they told Duncan.

So not a door opening when a door closes, but rather a door closing because someone opened another door. :sweat:

Edited by Panzer

I do like Duncan, but is he offering anything beyond the painting tutorials? (I haven't seen his vid)

It’s titled “Duncan Rhodes’ Painting Academy” - what else would he be offering?

This seems to be very much a “You get what’s on the tin” situation...

In which case I personally feel the cost is too high for what he's offering.

Did you watch the video below? While the website is subscription-based, Duncan (and Roger) are going to be posting videos to YouTube regularly, for free. You'll just get more stuff at the website.

Where did you see pricing info?