Duncan Rhodes Painting Academy

Considering the amount of money most people will drop to support streamers reading codexes/Warhammer community articles and airbrush tutorials that won’t work without hundreds of dollar of equipment, paying whatever 3.99 GBP is in American dollars is well worth it.

If anything just to see Duncan. Dude cheers me up just by seeing him paint stuff.

Regardless on how you feel about paid content generally, I am pleased that he plainly outlined the way he wants to do this: Paid content with some free stuff from time to time. This seems opposite of normal which is "Lots of free stuff" then you put up a pay wall later.

Basically my opinion is that I appreciate that his team is just up front about everything.

I need to watch the tutorial video now but the linked video here just shows how easy Duncan is in front of a camera communicating with an audience. £1 a week is a fair price and cheaper than Warhammer related Twitch channels with the bonus more of the money goes to the content creator. 

In which case I personally feel the cost is too high for what he's offering.

You're saying this without a shred of irony whilst you actively buy Games Workshop products?

Edited by Lord Marshal

Whoa, where's the dislike for Patreons coming from? If you don't like their stuff, you don't have to subscribe, you know?

I actually think Patreon is a great way for gifted people to turn their hobby into something professional. And with several of those people I'm floored by their professionalism.

On topic: Just watched the video and agree with the good Marshal above - it's just kinda cheerful, watching Duncan paint. As a matter of fact though, I preferred Darren's videos - but I'm more of an overall painter than army painter kinda guy. :smile.: Nothing wrong with Duncan's approach. Although I'm still floored by people going on about him, while Mark Sorastro has been doing that for years with miniatures for boardgames - might have even started sooner, but not 100 percent sure about that.

Anyways - can't have too many cool tutorials. Back when I started there was basically only bits shown in codices and WDs and no Youtube around. 

Edited by Kenzaburo

Very pleased to see that Duncan's new channel appears to be following a very similar format to the old long-form painting tutorials on Warhammer TV! 

I'm not a fan of the new ultra-short videos Warhammer TV is doing... While I get the reason why, I prefer the longer tutorials. 

Will be interesting to see how many tutorials he is able to put out essentially on his own. I get the feeling his paid-for content will live or die based on volume of releases.

Will be interesting to see how many tutorials he is able to put out essentially on his own. I get the feeling his paid-for content will live or die based on volume of releases.

I'm pretty sure when the first WHTV painting tutorials came about, it was just him and Rob Symes doing everything (including editing), so I don't think there's fundamentally much difference in what can be achieved by two guys working for themselves compared to working for GW, other than them obviously having to foot the costs themselves.

I definitely like the mixed free/paid content model, TabletopTactics runs their reports site the same way and I heartily approve.

And while some of the commentary re: Duncan’s overall skill, there’s more important factors to consider. For one, we’ve only see him through GW putting out content geared towards getting people like me who never thought they could paint to put out perfectly good, upper tabletop quality minis. Looking at his personal stuff shows that he is capable of higher end work.

Secondly, even if he isn’t the most gifted painter ever, he really is a gifted teacher. The sheer level of knowledge he manages to impart through his videos is very impressive.

Whoa, where's the dislike for Patreons coming from? If you don't like their stuff, you don't have to subscribe, you know?

I actually think Patreon is a great way for gifted people to turn their hobby into something professional. And with several of those people I'm floored by their professionalism.

On topic: Just watched the video and agree with the good Marshal above - it's just kinda cheerful, watching Duncan paint. As a matter of fact though, I preferred Darren's videos - but I'm more of an overall painter than army painter kinda guy. :smile.: Nothing wrong with Duncan's approach. Although I'm still floored by people going on about him, while Mark Sorastro has been doing that for years with miniatures for boardgames - might have even started sooner, but not 100 percent sure about that.

Anyways - can't have too many cool tutorials. Back when I started there was basically only bits shown in codices and WDs and no Youtube around.

It’s more the ‘I’ve had a bad day, here’s my Venmo’ Patreoners on Twitter I’m referencing. There are plenty that deserve support, of course.

I'm pretty sure when the first WHTV painting tutorials came about, it was just him and Rob Symes doing everything (including editing), so I don't think there's fundamentally much difference in what can be achieved by two guys working for themselves compared to working for GW, other than them obviously having to foot the costs themselves.

I think the Golden Goose here is we will get the patented Duncan Teaching Style with models that are outside the purview of the board (he posted an AT-ST today, for example. It was done with lots of cool weathering and scale mode style painting).

In which case I personally feel the cost is too high for what he's offering.

That's a bit rich coming from you... 

Mithril

To be fair, if he does a 1:1 ratio of paid to free content, people will be more understanding, maybe win over the ones who would not initially sub. That's the best way to do it IMO

It works out $8AU, which is more than Disney+, or Amazon Prime. *IF* you consume EVERY bit of content they put out, it's probably worth the money. Personally I'm going to wait and see how much content is being released on YouTube and gauge whether or not the subscription will work for me.

I really don't get complaining about the price, when you're in this hobby (but then, I don't really get complaining about GW prices either). Maybe it's a cost of living thing, but around here, it's the price of a cup of coffee at the 7-11, so if it's mildly interesting it should be worth it.

Personally I'm really interested in seeing what products from other ranges he'll be using (and what new techniques they'll enable him to demonstrate). I'm less of a "mix 'n match" guy than I used to be, but especially when it comes to terrain and the like it'd be interesting to see new techniques and products.

Edited by Antarius

I really don't get complaining about the price, when you're in this hobby (but then, I don't really get complaining about GW prices either). Maybe it's a cost of living thing, but around here, it's the price of a cup of coffee at the 7-11, so if it's mildly interesting it should be worth it.

Personally I'm really interested in seeing what products from other ranges he'll be using (and what new techniques they'll enable him to demonstrate). I'm less of a "mix 'n match" guy than I used to be, but especially when it comes to terrain and the like it'd be interesting to see new techniques and products.

While agree with you in principle and I would argue that the Price set by Duncan is fair. I am allways a tad wary about that "Cup of Coffee" Statement that often comes up, and is being used by People trying to sell their service. Simply because of the Volume of intersting and good Content that is out there. Podcasts, Gaming Websites, Streamers and so on, all asking for that "Cup of Coffee". Thats a lot of Coffees adding up fast. At a certain Point there is simply no Budget left.

Edited by Oshikai

The first video was interesting, but a subscription will depend on (for me) whether he produces enough content in a month for me to feel the price is justified. Only a video or two a month probably won’t make the cut for me, but hopefully he produces enough that others feel is of value to make it worth it for them - I’d prefer to see him succeed rather than the venture fail.