Space Marine rules rankings?

Skywrath

With the recent nerfs to SM, would anyone have a rough idea where every single SM faction would be? (Preferably in tier format) 

Edited by Knight-Master Skywrath

As always, these things are subject to personal experience, bias and local meta. I can't comment on exact ranking but I dare say little has changed save for a narrowing of the gap between the "top tiers" (IH and IF) and the rest.

If you're asking about tier rankings as a result of the rules changes, then it's far too soon to tell. We're going to need time actually playing under the rules changes, figuring out how to adapt in order to determine their impact on general army effectiveness. It will take at least a month to really wrap our collective heads around this.

There are plenty of discussions in which the theoretical impacts of the rules changes are being discussed. In some cases, players have been able to play games using the new rules; and their anecdotal experiences can be added to the discussion. It will take time, though, and many more games by many more players to develop a more comprehensive and accurate conclusion about the overall impacts of the various rules changes. You can see these discussions scattered throughout the Space Marine forums here at the B&C (and elsewhere), so there's no need to repeat them in this discussion.

If you're asking about tier rankings as a result of the rules changes, then it's far too soon to tell. We're going to need time actually playing under the rules changes, figuring out how to adapt in order to determine their impact on general army effectiveness. It will take at least a month to really wrap our collective heads around this.

There are plenty of discussions in which the theoretical impacts of the rules changes are being discussed. In some cases, players have been able to play games using the new rules; and their anecdotal experiences can be added to the discussion. It will take time, though, and many more games by many more players to develop a more comprehensive and accurate conclusion about the overall impacts of the various rules changes. You can see these discussions scattered throughout the Space Marine forums here at the B&C (and elsewhere), so there's no need to repeat them in this discussion.

The first statement was the question I was asking. I do realise my question is premature, however, if I may point out, my question was theoretical in nature. As in: "Based of these changes how do you think the tier list has shifted and it's implications" (objective, speculative in nature). Not a question from the perspective off: Well the IH,RG got nerfed, where do you think <insert faction here> do you stand (subjective, practical in nature). See the difference? My intent with this question was to promote a discussion in that manner (objective yet speculative) to differentiate this thread from the countless myriad ones, as you yourself pointed out (and hence saving the moderators the potential headache). 

Before I posted my query, I did search a similar question up (with little to none search results), however I realized, that my understanding of this game is still fairly limited (as I am new).  I wouldn't be able to come to an accurate deduction, even based off previous data. So hence this question. That and I am uncertain how quickly the meta evolves from the table-top, therefore justifying my above query. 

I do apologise if this somehow violates the B&C forum rules though,  it is not my intention to cause conflict. 

Edited by Knight-Master Skywrath

Hmmm

At a glance:

-Iron Hands

-Raven Guard

-White Scars/Blood Angels

-Salamanders/Dark Angels

-Ultramarines/Imperial Fists/Crimson Fists

-Black Templars

-Space Wolves (No updated rules currently)

The gaps are smaller for sure. Iron Hands have many very powerful combinations which remain even after the Doctrine nerf, for example all the infantry can have a 5++ and a 5+++ which becomes substantial in combination with Centurions, Intercessors, etc

Raven Guard and White Scars excel because they can get short range, slow moving units anywhere on the board without transports. If you look at other chapters, it would cost 1000 points to get 10 Aggressors up the field because they would require transports.

Ultras are comparatively much better than before, but it's hard to gauge if that translates to better results. Even though the gap between top and bottom has shrunk they are still worse than they were pre FAQ. They could move up, but I feel that Salamanders and Dark Angels have some more punchy strats, and most chapters have better psychic powers.

Edited by Ishagu

• 2 weeks later...

Black Templars are not that weak. They are just not a no brainer army. But 5+++ for each unit (even FW Mastodon) and 4++ for each unit in the first round and Devot Push Stratagem makes them much better as you think. And Fists have a very good CT.