Evening, brothers! I've finally begun painting my army after many months of deciding on a chapter and reading more books than any sane person should. I present my test model for my new army, the Doom Eagles.

I still have a lot to test, including battle damage, backpack color, and equipment bag color, but I'm happy so far. A few spots look dicey, but I'll do a little work here and there.

0FYWoDO.jpg

Hail Brother Scorpirus,

Welcome to the ranks of the Primogenitors.

Doom Eagles..... excellent choice. Your mini is a thing of beauty.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Can't go wrong with stealthy (unless you're facing Fists or Iron Warriors ). Maybe consider Long Range Marksmen, or Rapid Assault to complement an Inceptor heavy force that can advance without hit penalties (and quite fluffy as they love their jump troops).

Do you find that successor tactics are on par with straight up ultra tactics (I.E. declaring your army as ultramarines)? I find myself stuck between wanting to be fluffly, and close to the lore, and wanting to run troops like Guilliman and Calgar in my own scheme.

I think of their rules set, the chapter tactics for Ultras is one of their weak points. There are far more potent combinations than +1 to Leadership and shooting after falling back. Generally speaking: Stealthy is very popular as a strong choice along with Master Artisans or Long Range Marksmen. If you plan to be in close combat all that much, you're better off leaning hard into that phase with the likes of Whirlwind of Rage. The mobility and versatility afforded by the Super Doctrine should mean you won't find yourself eye to eye with the enemy all that often if you really don't want to be.

In regards to special characters...yes, Ultras have quite good ones. That's the rub, really. But I've always been a fluff and fun kind of guy over WAAC

I think of their rules set, the chapter tactics for Ultras is one of their weak points. There are far more potent combinations than +1 to Leadership and shooting after falling back. Generally speaking: Stealthy is very popular as a strong choice along with Master Artisans or Long Range Marksmen. If you plan to be in close combat all that much, you're better off leaning hard into that phase with the likes of Whirlwind of Rage. The mobility and versatility afforded by the Super Doctrine should mean you won't find yourself eye to eye with the enemy all that often if you really don't want to be.

In regards to special characters...yes, Ultras have quite good ones. That's the rub, really. But I've always been a fluff and fun kind of guy over WAAC

Good shout! That's determined it for me. I love the fluff, so I'll play the fluff! Time to buy more inceptors....

Alright, brothers. Update #2: I did a little more testing with a different chrome from vallejo (metal color vs. model color in the original), and I'm not sure what I think about it.

In the short story "On Mournful Wings" their armor is described as chrome, almost mirror-like, so this scheme definitely hits that mark a little more. It might not be too evident from the picture, but this guy shines bright like a diamond in light, even reflecting red areas heavily. The first model is a little more matte, with less metallic flakes in the paint, and shows detail pretty strongly. For the latest model, the panel lining isn't as noticeable, but it makes up for a lack of edge highlighting when it comes to basic troops. I'm stuck between schemes, but favoring the first a bit more (Ugh, I hate repainting). I would love some external thoughts on this!

WK8yp9f.jpg?1

Edited by Brother Scorpirus

Red bolter cases always get a +1 from me. And honestly, a marine army in bright and shiny armor would be a refreshing change from all the grimmy grim and gloom everyone is doing, even if they are called Doom Eagles... :)

If you want to push the chrome look, I suggest to look into Vallejo model air Chrome, it's noticeably brighter than Stormhost Silver.

Red bolter cases always get a +1 from me. And honestly, a marine army in bright and shiny armor would be a refreshing change from all the grimmy grim and gloom everyone is doing, even if they are called Doom Eagles... :smile.:

If you want to push the chrome look, I suggest to look into Vallejo model air Chrome, it's noticeably brighter than Stormhost Silver.

That's actually what I used! Now that I look at the second one, I think the model color silver (First marine) with an edge highlight of the metal color (Second marine) would be the best look.

Update #3: I've done a good bit here on my sergeant! Firstly, I painted over his armor with the less shiny silver, dulling him and giving a far better finish. Then I finally buckled down and painted my first attempt at a skin tone and face, which was both incredibly exciting and horrifying all at once. I think it came out rather good for my first try, and I'm incredibly happy about it! Next is to paint his bags, and I'll call him done until I decide on a basing scheme. 

fWjDicD.jpg?1

Final update for the sergeant, as I can finally begin the rest of Squad Talus.

Bags and Transfers complete! The top of my transfer sheet has a little color issue, so there is a bit of blue tint to the top of the Doom Eagle transfer, but it doesn't look too bad to me. One day I'll learn to freehand the squad numerals, but until that day these guys will just have to be barren haha. Basing is the next decision I have to make, and I would love some input from my B&C brethren. I have a solid amount of basing materials, but most is static grass, tufts, flowers, and sand/rocks.  

I'm incredibly proud of this model, and I haven't felt this rewarded after any other models I've painted. Tell me what you think.

vHMbHZZ.jpg?2

s4W2fzf.jpg?1

Looking good! The silver and red complement each other really well and his face looks great. Maybe some highlighting on the high points of the face but looks the part!

I’m just about to start doom eagles as well! Just waiting for my shoulder pads to arrive. Did you do the decals yourself or are they a custom order?