Courage and Honor! Ultramarine Primaris Captain 3d Model

SITZKRIEG!

On the heels of my attempt at remixing (i.e. the digital 3d model equivalent of converting) a Samurai themed space marine 3d model (link), I decided to revisit my idea for an Ultramarine captain.  I don't know why the preview isn't showing up properly over on thingiverse (it's a known bug that creeps up unfortuantely) but I did upload my completed first try.  It's not entirely visible below but he has a relic chainsword, bolt pistol, bolt rifle, and iron halo as his gear.  I don't currently play 40k (haven't regularly since 5th edition) so I apologize if this isn't the optimal loadout but I chose what I thought looked cool IMO for an UM captain.   Let me know what you guys think and especially if you try printing it out for the tabletop.  I've found that I actually prefer tinkering with the 3d model than printing/painting it myself.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4196619

1047751_sm-3d%2C%203d%20Printing%2C%20Ca

That is just AWESOME:tu:

Nitpickery:

Hidden Content
The head is a bit too large (about the size of the helmet).

Thanks! And I think you're correct. It's an unfortunate side effect of sourcing the parts from a dozen different creators (I didn't model any of the parts myself unless you count a half dozen rivets on the pteurges!) and resizing them via my Mk 1 eyeball. Some of the parts were created at 15x the scale of others. I might try optimizing the file again this week and change the helmet to match the head. It's tricky to match the 3d file images to what looks good on the tabletop as I'm consistently surprised how much things need to be exaggerated from truescale to look good and be practical on the tabletop.

edit:  Brother Lunkhead, you were indeed spot on!  When I shifted the helmet over the head, a few tufts of hair were showing through.  You have a keener eye than I do (pun intended).   I resized (and repositioned the helmet to not clip too much into the shoulder pad and hand) the helmet amongst some other tweaks in response to feedback elsewhere.  Thanks again!

Ultra_Prime_Captain_V4.png

Edited by SITZKRIEG!

Glad to be of help Brother SITZKRIEG! Don't feel bad about missing that. My wife is an artist, and some of her perspective training has actually stuck with me. Except for the size, the head looks perfect for the sculpt.

Your head modeling was actually much better than I've seen from well established model companies. I'm even starting to see it pop up more and more with GW minis, and don't get me started with FW Custodes and Astartes characters. It's a veritable epidemic of Fat Head Syndrome with those guys:teehee:

Sounds like you are right on top of the issue..... wish I could say the same for GW and FW:facepalm:

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Glad to be of help Brother SITZKRIEG! Don't feel bad about missing that. My wife is an artist, and some of her perspective training has actually stuck with me. Except for the size, the head looks perfect for the sculpt.

Your head modeling was actually much better than I've seen from well established model companies. I'm even starting to see it pop up more and more with GW minis, and don't get me started with FW Custodes and Astartes characters. It's a veritable epidemic of Fat Head Syndrome with those guys:teehee:

Sounds like you are right on top of the issue..... wish I could say the same for GW and FW:facepalm:

Thanks.  And, yeah, the Custodes really do look like a 90's alternate basketball video game mode way too often unfortunately.   As I mentioned above, I'm not a 3d modeller but rather a tweaker in that I use other people's uploaded models and repose/resize them with maybe some simple flourishes added here and there and tweaks for printablitiy/practicality but I obviously expect more from industry leading companies like Forgeworld.  And don't get me started on those horrible Space Wolf 30k models from about a year or two ago...  I think my own crude splicing on the hands is better than those!  :)

When the original 3d preview finally popped up (it took a few hours), the head was positioned way back and too low from an angled view and the arms were practically lowslung gorilla ones...  neither of which was visible in the multiple 3d modelling programs I use to put these things together like lego builds nor in the pic that I posted in the OP.  I'm hoping that my tweaks fixed that issue as well but I won't know until the new thingiview previews pop up.

Aquilons are just amazing.

Excellent work here.

Thanks although I can only take credit for putting it all together like with legos.  Not to sound like an idiot but my google-fu didn't turn up anything useful.. but what is an aquilon in the sense that you're using it?  I know there are Custodes Aquilon terminators but the only meaning that came up with a search was an old term for "the north wind".

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

He seems kind of short, considering the other Primaris models. I think it's the lower legs.

Otherwise, I really like it.

I appreciate the feedback.  FWIW, I used the same base 3d model for the legs as I did for my Rising Son samurai marine (albeit mirrored) with the same proportions.  I try to size them to match my favorite official primaris model, Lieutenatnt Amulius.  The overall size/proportions should be the same as the 3d printed fig on the 40mm base in the pic below next to Amulius.  I printed them out in various sizes and proportions before getting a chunkiness/height that I thought matched it.  YMMV.

1039758-3d%2C%20Primaris%2C%20Printing%2

Edited by SITZKRIEG!